Sign in to follow this  
Audiohealing

Is visualization important?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know your opinions on the importance of visualization. I am almost completely unable to visualize. I can hold a recall image in my "mind's eye", but it's still very difficult for me to even do that. I envy my girlfriend for instance, who is an artist, who starts seeing beautiful scenery and vivid images as soon as she closes her eyes. For me it has always been a black screen for as long as I can remember.

So how important is it? I have been unable to follow many guided meditations because of this. Are there any exercises I can do to improve it, or should I focus on my other senses?

The only thing running in my brain is an endless chatter. :(

There is a great article written by one of Robert Bruce's associates on the importance of visualization in relation to psychic development/powers, couldn't find the link but it's a great read; anyone know?

edit: visualization is extremely important in my opinion, but remember it is the emptiness of the bowl that makes it useful...

Edited by fizix

http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/new-energy-ways/using-new-full-tutorial/73-part-2-no-visualization.html

Robert Bruce's method does not use the ability to literally see something behind closed eyes. It uses tactile imaging and body awareness. Basically doing everything by FEEL.

Only when you develop clairvoyant abilities, can one actually literally see what they are picturing.

Then Robert makes a further distinction between visualization (which is simply imagination) and clairvoyance, which is a psychic ability to actually literally see stuff.

Edited by alwayson

If you focus on a practice which involves letting go then visualisation is an impediment rather than a help, isn't the saying something like there are thousands of meditation techniques you just have to find the right one for you, just find an approach you can work with.

I collect guided meditation, but I'm also poor at visualization. While I can't 'see' things, I can feel them. A company like Bliss Trips has an audio CD Gifts of the Earth, I don't exactly see myself in the natural heated pool, but I feel the sensation. In the gem cave its not like looking at a screen, but when I collect healing rocks I know the patterns I'm placing them and how they effect my body.

So even without good inner vision I get effects. One of the best guided meditation series for developing better visualization in Anne Wise's High Performance Mind, particularly the Kickstart Alpha segment. Its all about the sensuality of images, texture and smells included. Sometimes we're simply more attuned to other senses.

For some interesting free stuff, I like the Healing Forest Hypnotic at the EnerSanctum Podcast downloadable for free from the Itunes store. Other very good guided podcasts are at Meditation Oasis.

Rawn Clark has a fascinating take on sealing the senses. He has a free meditation called the Center of Stillness Meditation. If it works for you its fascinating, his site is abardoncompanion.com .

Some say visualization can be trained. For me not so much, but I think as long as there is a strong association, losing yourself to the meditation it may not matter.

Michael

From my experience as a beginner, good visualisation is very important. Of course I too had trouble visualising, but with practice you become somewhat better, not completely perfect though.

Some times you'll visualise better than others, I suppose if done in retreat it is more easy to progress in visualising.

Also if you have a conscious dream you can meditate and visualise in your dream very very clear. However I don't know how to purposely cause such dreams.

It is important to keep trying even though it seems hopeless at first.

I hope others more knowledgable will tell you more.

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know your opinions on the importance of visualization. I am almost completely unable to visualize. I can hold a recall image in my "mind's eye", but it's still very difficult for me to even do that. I envy my girlfriend for instance, who is an artist, who starts seeing beautiful scenery and vivid images as soon as she closes her eyes. For me it has always been a black screen for as long as I can remember.

So how important is it? I have been unable to follow many guided meditations because of this. Are there any exercises I can do to improve it, or should I focus on my other senses?

Totally and completely not needed or necessary. It is a limitation. What IS needed is to learn to calm the chatter. Who are you talking to in there? You? You already know everything that the chatter is about because it is all based on your perception, so why play it over and over like a stuck record player?

• Like 3

Visualization is not necessary. There are many, many, many types of meditation. visualization is one style. Emptiness is one style but there are many more. Find the style that best suits you. Don't try and fit yourself into a mold. If you have difficulty calming the chatter in the mind, then USE it. Mantra meditation is very good for this.

My suggestion is to investigate different styles of meditation. some types of Yogic meditations and mantra meditations allow you to use mental activities so that you don't have to wrestle with the "how do I shut my mind up?" mental mind f***k.

do some research...

Good luck...

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

The intention of visualization is very powerful, but you should cultivate calm abiding first and get into some of the lower jhanas before you attempt visualization practice.

The intent is to make the mind more powerful as well as connected to the subtle radiance's of the elements past the physical level, so it opens up psychic centers in a very refined manor, you can actually feel the energy of the brain deepening and opening up through this practice.

Totally and completely not needed or necessary. It is a limitation. What IS needed is to learn to calm the chatter. Who are you talking to in there? You? You already know everything that the chatter is about because it is all based on your perception, so why play it over and over like a stuck record player?

+1 :)

Visualization is not necessary. There are many, many, many types of meditation. visualization is one style. Emptiness is one style but there are many more. Find the style that best suits you. Don't try and fit yourself into a mold. If you have difficulty calming the chatter in the mind, then USE it. Mantra meditation is very good for this.

My suggestion is to investigate different styles of meditation. some types of Yogic meditations and mantra meditations allow you to use mental activities so that you don't have to wrestle with the "how do I shut my mind up?" mental mind f***k.

do some research...

Good luck...

good stuff, both of you. no need for me to throw my loose change into the mix. just a nod. :)

There are lots and lots of masters of Vajrayana with power over the elements and the weather who teach that it is quite necessary in that sense.

It is not necessary for enlightenment though.

do some research...

Good luck...

Agree one should find one that suits them.

There are lots and lots of masters of Vajrayana with power over the elements and the weather who teach that it is quite necessary in that sense.

It is not necessary for enlightenment though.

yeah, but they've already cleared the garbage out of their head. these types of statements confuse folks who are still at the bottom of the mountain climbing up.

once a person has cleared away the debris, my guess is that they wouldn't have to ask about visualization. people too often go off in the wrong direction by attributing unnecessary importance to this type of thing in the early stages of their development. one such person has even commented in this very thread, advising the original poster how important it is to visualize, EVEN THOUGH HE HIMSELF IS CURRENTLY AFFLICTED WITH SPIRITUAL PROBLEMS THAT HE DOESN'T YET UNDERSTAND. :(

so for reasons of that nature, i don't find your parsing of the issue to be very helpful to a beginner. some get excited about what they might be able to achieve, and then they start looking for shortcuts and either derail their practice, or get into some real trouble.

I suck at visualizing too. I recommend you get the book Essentials of Mahamudra. It's very clearly written with a gradual approach to meditation that will take you all the way to enlightenment, but it begins at the beginning so there's no reason to get dismayed.

There are different options given for building concentration with visualization only being one. You can stare at something like a marble or candle. What really works for me to cut down the chatter is count my inbreaths to 10 and then repeat. On the outbreath, try to deep into a state of presence and aliveness.

The best way to make progress is do to it everyday, even if it's 5 minutes. Try 5 minutes when you wake up and 5 minutes before sleep to start. It usually takes about 21 days to start a new pattern, so after 21 days it'll just be part of your routine to meditate. Then gradually you can lengthen the times.

Good luck. Have no fear. Stay motivated.

yeah, but they've already cleared the garbage out of their head. these types of statements confuse folks who are still at the bottom of the mountain climbing up.

once a person has cleared away the debris, my guess is that they wouldn't have to ask about visualization. people too often go off in the wrong direction by attributing unnecessary importance to this type of thing in the early stages of their development. one such person has even commented in this very thread, advising the original poster how important it is to visualize, EVEN THOUGH HE HIMSELF IS CURRENTLY AFFLICTED WITH SPIRITUAL PROBLEMS THAT HE DOESN'T YET UNDERSTAND. :(

Yes, this is why I recommended doing calm abiding meditation first and getting into the lower jhanas first, before attempting visualization meditations.

This is what I did, and I find getting into the lower jhanas is a very important step.

so for reasons of that nature, i don't find your parsing of the issue to be very helpful to a beginner. some get excited about what they might be able to achieve, and then they start looking for shortcuts and either derail their practice, or get into some real trouble.

:) Yes, yes... I do agree... which is the why for my recommendation.

I guess you didn't read my posts very well. B)

Yes, this is why I recommended doing calm abiding meditation first and getting into the lower jhanas first, before attempting visualization meditations.

This is what I did, and I find getting into the lower jhanas is a very important step.

:) Yes, yes... I do agree... which is the why for my recommendation.

I guess you didn't read my posts very well. B)

yeah, fair enough.

i read your first post and thought it was a good one. then your second post kinda threw me into "parental guidance" mode. whatevs. it was fine. just ignore me. :blush:

I've always been so terribly left-brained by nature that visualization is nearly impossible for me. But I agree with everything that's been said about the other senses. Also, I find that I can visualize to some extent is I move my fingers a tiny bit, as though I were painting the visualization onto a canvas. That seems to work, and I think it's something that would increase with more practice.

Sign in to follow this