Sign in to follow this  
Everything

Working

Anyone know the feeling of having to work on something in order to arrive at a specific destiny, not caring about the required work that has to be done. Feeling a complete lack of motivation to do the boring and uninteresting work that has to be done. Work gets so much more difficult when that feeling creeps in.

Difficult and easy are abstracted from progress, according to the Tao. Living without abstracting, one would simply view the work that has to be done and do it. I have no idea how though. It seems like a torture, even without the abstractions of difficult and easy. So the work still remains difficult, because of your own emotions standing in the way.

How to work, Tao style?

Edited by Everything

If you are living in this state of ennui maybe you should question your work.

Maybe you are setting up the result as an end result that will make everyone happy. (a new house? a vacation? an investment portfolio? just putting kids through college?)

Or maybe the kind of work you're talking about is the necessary work to get a particular degree or the right combination of initials. If the components of that field of endeavor are terribly boring to you, again, maybe you should rethink the direction.

To fall off the cliff and live entirely in the Tao (a preposterous supposition for most) would be to live in the here and now. To put Love into your every action, to put the very highest of yourself into your work. And even if it's mundane, there must be a way to perfect it more. That would be the ideal of the Tao.

But in the case of disliking the work so much, the only thing that is probably keeping you there is something more altruistic; otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. In that case, the thing to do would be to embrace the work out of love, knowing that you're actually doing it for your child, if that's the case. To do the work in as much consciousness as you can and to use it as a meditation. I think that's how the Sage would approach it.

I know exactly how you feel.

Try focusing on the practice in a new light. Pay attention to your work, and try to notice the subtle ways it's different every time you do it. You will find new insights into what it is you are doing, and this process of discovery might help fuel motivation to continue doing the work.

Anyone know the feeling of having to work on something in order to arrive at a specific destiny, not caring about the required work that has to be done. Feeling a complete lack of motivation to do the boring and uninteresting work that has to be done. Work gets so much more difficult when that feeling creeps in.

Difficult and easy are abstracted from progress, according to the Tao. Living without abstracting, one would simply view the work that has to be done and do it. I have no idea how though. It seems like a torture, even without the abstractions of difficult and easy. So the work still remains difficult, because of your own emotions standing in the way.

How to work, Tao style?

Change of attitude. Instead of "Dang, I HAVE to do this work" let it be, "Oh Boy! I GET to do this work."

This technique helps tremendously.

Change of attitude. Instead of "Dang, I HAVE to do this work" let it be, "Oh Boy! I GET to do this work."

This technique helps tremendously.

Haha yeah. How I see it is everyday is different and it's just a part of that day.

Same with chopping/cleaning the vegetables I eat for breakfast.

By the way, I'm talking about all hard work in general here.

Chopping wood is excersize and fun. Cleaning vegetables isn't that difficult either, neither is cooking. Perhaps thats why I don't see them as hard work.

Sometimes you're facing bigger tasks that have to be done. I guess being positive can allways get more work done then being negative. This makes sense, but how do we become positive about things we feel negatively?

So how would YOU suggest that we go about feeling this contentment and gratitude towards the difficult tasks that have to be done? Give me an example. Lets focus on this one.

If no one will, I'll give my own examples. ;)

Edited by Everything

Sign in to follow this