Ulises

Seiki-jutsu/Autokinetics

After watching the Self-Adjustment Qi Gong DVD by Jenny Lamb, I want to share a gem of a book.

I found it (it found me...?) sinchronistically after my body began to manifest the spontaneous movement through a series of 15 workshops in Holotropic Breathwork, some years ago.

It's ten years now since I began to "play" with it, and still I consider this book has everything to awake you to a spontaneous practice of awareness in movement..

The book is an adaptation from the formless form - Seiki-jutsu - by Ikuko Osumi sensei, who was considered one of the most gifted healers in Japan. It's full of insights for anyone interested in the spontaneous practice...

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Break-Recharge-Your-Autokinetics/dp/0307440362/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296709235&sr=1-14

Edited by Ulises
  • Like 2

After watching the Self-Adjustment Qi Gong DVD by Jenny Lamb, I want to share a gem of a book.

I found it (it found me...?) sinchronistically after my body began to manifest the spontaneous movement through a series of 15 workshops in Holotropic Breathwork, some years ago.

It's ten years now since I began to "play" with it, and still I consider this book has everything to awake you to a spontaneous practice of awareness in movement..

The book is an adaptation from the formless form - Seiki-jutsu - by Ikuko Osumi sensei, who was considered one of the most gifted healers in Japan. It's full of insights for anyone interested in the spontaneous practice...

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Break-Recharge-Your-Autokinetics/dp/0307440362/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296709235&sr=1-14

Uli,

What is your shaking 'practice' like?

Uli,

What is your shaking 'practice' like?

I began following the advices from Brad Keeney's Autokinetics (western adaptation from Seiki-jutsu;he is the formal heir of this healing art, received from Ikuko Osumi). I usually begin sitting, touching gently my eyeballs - as a message of opening to the body/mind - from there...anything is possible: sometimes is like Jenny Lamb movements in her DVD, sometimes more vigorous, Bushman-like; many times, spontaneous sounds/throat singing at the same time, or taichi-like,etc.etc: the beauty is that is unpredictible, totally free-form (altough it feels VERY guided, so to speak...).When I feel I'm done (movements slow down,etc.) I touch my eyeballs gently again - closing gesture, and I rest, integrating... The blissful expansion/creative insights/etc. are coming more frequently....

Seriously, the "Energy Break" book is a gem...

Edited by Ulises

thanks for sharing.

i wonder if this is a cheaper paperback version:

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Break-Refresh-Unleash-Creativity/dp/0717127745/

also, have you read this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Shaking-Medicine-Healing-Ecstatic-Movement/dp/1594771499/

sean

Good finding!

yeah, I love the "Shaking Medicine" book, of course....but the "energy break" is my favourite, in terms of clear instructions and solo practice

Good finding!

yeah, I love the "Shaking Medicine" book, of course....but the "energy break" is my favourite, in terms of clear instructions and solo practice

damn you bums! surely someone here just ordered the $1.95 used paperback copy i was briefly waffling on. :lol: i just snagged the $3 one though, thanks for the recommendation. i've also been enjoying jenny's spontaneous adjustment qigong.

sean

• Like 1

Ulises, what did you think about Sifu Lamb's DVD? Is Self Adjusted QiGong, her version of 'Kunlun', seated QiGong practice? Is it worthwhile?

Michael

Her ad is on top while I write this, I'll check it out.

Ulises, what did you think about Sifu Lamb's DVD? Is Self Adjusted QiGong, her version of 'Kunlun', seated QiGong practice? Is it worthwhile?

Michael

Her ad is on top while I write this, I'll check it out.

Uffffffff...slippery terrain (I know the endless threads about Kunlun). I'll just say this: Im my experience (I've attended a Kunlun seminar and I watched the Jenny Lamb's DVD), the important thing is the attuning/surrender (choose your metaphor of relationship) to the mysterious n/om. The rest is details: cultural forms, "flavors", so to speak..

I have to add that the strongest life-changing experiences happen in a group setting, Bushman-like. After 10 years of spontaneous solo practice, the loving, ecstatic RELATIONSHIP between Shakers("pulling the ropes", being "rope" a metaphor for the heart-based sinergy among Shakers) made all the difference for me, magnitudes beyond a solo practice.

(Same experience, recently, in a Timothy Freke Big Love group,in another, more meditative, context).

So, now, my main interest is helping to ignite a grass roots, non-profit comunity of Shakers where I live....

(I just remember that, interestingly, anthropologist Gegory Bateson - one of the founders of cybernetic/systemic thinking, and Brad Keeney's mentor - documented already in the fifties, along with her partner Margaret Mead, how the Balian parents teach children to put their feet like in the Self Adjustment/Kunlun thing, to induce spontaneous movement...but it's not my thing, I prefer the complete free-form of seiki-jutsu/autokinetics/Shaking Medicine, but that it's only my taste, I repeat.

Some people will resonate with Self Adjustment, some with Kunlun...and some, like me with Shaking/Autokinetics...

The fair thing is that people can have info about the whole spectrum of spontaneous practices and then they can choose/integrate (altough the difference for me is that Brad Keeney stresses that the feeling heart-based focus is the root ... I resonate with that..)

Edited by Ulises

This is very close to my heart...

"Shaking medicine is swamp mojo that serves muddy wisdom while gobbling up overly simple dualisms and arrogant pomposity. It comes to kick your spiritual butt, making you more human and present to the fleas, lice, and alligator pissing near your pillow, while removing the constraints that hold back infinite joy and the ecstatic flight of extreme delight. Surrender to the hilarious vastness of the cosmic dance and become its Rumified servant of extreme love." B.K.

The Bushmen are a gorgeous example of the Biology of Love at its fullest in the Shaking Medicine...

"This is an important and exhilarating book by two authors from quite different backgrounds - the one a therapist, the other one of the foremost biologists of the last half a century. Together with Francisco Varela, Humberto Maturana formulated the theory of autopoiesis - the self-production and self organising that characterises living. This has been massively influential in a range of disciplines - biology itself, cognitive science, artificial life, the law, social sciences, therapy, management science, philosophy. What the discovery of autopoiesis signalled for Maturana in addition to its fundamental biological implications at the molecular level, was the critical role of reflexivity in our making sense of the world we inhabit and the living we constitute through our recurrent coordinations of actions with other reflexive beings.

The book - which has a wonderfully informative and concise introduction by Pille Bunnell - celebrates the collaboration of Maturana with Gerda Verden Zoller in identifying the critical role of prolongued intimacy in the evolutionary emergence of humanness, and indeed for the arising of language. There is a convincing case that it was the emotional predisposition for living together in long-term relationships of mutuality that led to languaging as an intrinsic feature of human evolution. Alongside this is a strong and compelling claim that it is such mutual affection (expressing the fundamamental emotion, love) that distinguishes us from our immediate evolutionary predecessors (chimps). The latter, in spite of their genetic proximity to human kind may be characterised in their social living as devious and manipulative rather than loving.

Of course, we see in present-day humankind an unfortunate mix of the legacy of our chimp ancestry competing with the uniquely human. What this book does is provide a powerful affirmation of an optimistic insight into our future, with important lessons for our co-existence with each other, different cultures and the environment. It unfolds a narrative of how it is the quality of our recurrent interactions with each other as autonomous but responsible beings that lays down both the ethics of our present and the direction of our future."

http://www.amazon.com/Origins-Humanness-Biology-Love/dp/1845400887

Edited by Ulises

I love the theory that love heals. :wub: Totally with you, Ulises.

My wonderful bodyworker doesn't take it this far, though, about her healing ability. She says that she simply allows for presence during her healing sessions. And she really does radiate this "pure presence" (as I like to call it). I try to convince her that it is "love," and she tries to take all terms away, not wanting to ascribe a word to it.

Welcoming a state of pure presence in one's formless body movement/energy practice allows for powerful wholeness to mysteriously unfold... -_-

Question to U:

Progression. Since we are on a taoist board, can you speak to how you view your practice assisting your energy being in this life (and even future lifetimes)?

mmmmmmm...I have no idea!

I mean: I'm laughing more, crying more...I feel more alive, from time to time - it looks like a expansive, organic rhythm of expansion/contraction - I feel more in love with Life, just being, in awe of existence, liking more the people I meet, feeling the poignancy of our little human lives (our confusion, struggles, joys & sorrows)....

I'm behaving more spontaneously, more child-like (and feeling more the paradoxes of Life, this amazing Cosmic Joke)...more sinchronicities, more insights, more meaningful dreams....deeper grief, deeper anger (but it is released more quickly and I'm not scared of her...the same with waves of fear - although that is a personal issue)

(There are certain things that I feel is premature to share..but I feel are on the way)

I'd say that Shaking Medicine is cooking me, making me more real (by the way, that was the message from Teonanactl in a gorgeous, challenging session, with a entheogenic midwife, two months ago...)

Again: the big, decisive shift came through two Shaking Medicine gatherings (three days each one, about 10 hours a day) january and May 2010....after those gorgeous group gatherings, solo practice everyday - twice/three times a day (from 5 minutes to 1 hour...following the organic rhythms...)

Edited by Ulises

mmmmmmm...I have no idea!

I mean: I'm laughing more, crying more...I feel more alive, from time to time - it looks like a expansive, organic rhythm of expansion/contraction - I feel more in love with Life, just being, in awe of existence, liking more the people I meet, feeling the poignancy of our little human lives (our confusion, struggles, joys & sorrows)....

I'm behaving more spontaneously, more child-like (and feeling more the paradoxes of Life, this amazing Cosmic Joke)...more sinchronicities, more insights, more meaningful dreams....deeper grief, deeper anger (but it is released more quickly and I'm not scared of her...the same with waves of fear - although that is a personal issue)

(There are certain things that I feel is premature to share..but I feel are on the way)

I'd say that Shaking Medicine is cooking me, making me more real (by the way, that was the message from Teonanactl in a gorgeous, challenging session, with a entheogenic midwife, two months ago...)

Again: the big, decisive shift came through two Shaking Medicine gatherings (three days each one, about 10 hours a day) january and May 2010....after those gorgeous group gatherings, solo practice everyday - twice/three times a day (from 5 minutes to 1 hour...following the organic rhythms...)

Sounds great, Uli. Are you in the UK? You had been shaking though long before those gatherings based on Keeney's book?

Sounds great, Uli. Are you in the UK? You had been shaking though long before those gatherings based on Keeney's book?

I'm not, although I'd love to go someday, especially to Glastonbury and other ancient places in UK with a cool guide as Julian Cope

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/home/

(10 years ago, I had a potent past life regression about England, with archetypal energy rippling in a healing way in my everyday life, for months..)

The Shaking manifested in my life around 15 years ago (some other people in the gatherings told me similar stories), then I found Brad Keeney's "Energy Break" through a beautiful sinchronicity...let's say I've been shaking for 10 years. Again, the quantum jump has been to meet and shake with a group: that's the primordial approach and I have the feeling that was/is the original (Pashupati Shakers at the origins of Tantra in India), but I don't want to be dogmatic...simply, the synergy of fields of consciousness works (first is the rhyzome, then the individual mushrooms...):

http://www.shiftinaction.com/discover/audios/chris_bache/working_with_the_fields_of_consciousness

Edited by Ulises

It came now to my mind: a short way to describe the effect of the Shaking:

It's healing the living polarities (child-like/mature) in a balancing way with aliveness as the healing agent (heart more alive, etc.)

Edited by Ulises

Che passione, Ulises! :D Thanks for sharing. The importance of sacred movement in a group...resonates!

Thank you!

A n/om rainbow hug!! ; )

"No one can be quite free from schizophrenia - the habit of false concreteness - where we identify the metaphor with the referent.

Gregory Bateson objected to the "vulgarity of the fundamentalist" - one who believes the metaphors of the right brain (that is, whole brain) can be translated into the language of the left brain (creatura). This happens with the scriptural literalists and the scientific literalists. It is rampant in New Age talk. The most important matters of life, from art to ecstasy cannot be explained. He advised us, 'It can't be done. Don't try it.' He regarded all efforts to articulate the processes of whole brain process, from art to religion, as insane. 'When attempted, translation from right to the left is teratogenic, creating of monsters', So let us enter the WILDERNESS and know that there is nothing that can be said so as to fulfill the criteria of left brain rigor. Let us act and speak, as part of our experience, with disciplined voicing of the Unknown Whole. Into the holes we go..." B. K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfeNcsQZmZY&feature=related

Edited by Ulises

If you feel inclined to support the San People:

The 'Music of the Kalahari San' CD features San healing songs featuring voices, instruments, and drums. The CD has 18 tracks and is 70 minutes in lenght.

All proceeds are returned to the San Communities in which the Kalahari Peoples Fund serves.

http://kalaharipeoples.org/music_cd.html

Edited by Ulises