Tux

Healing Stances/Exercises

I'm not of the mind (maybe not yet) to learn any forms, in part because I need to rebuild the muscles in my lower body and heal some damage that's been done there before I can move around the way a martial art would require. I'm able to evenly distribute my weight between both feet. A man that teaches tai chi in my area taught me a ready stance, which is where one stands with the feet apart (I can't recall what he said about the distance, I just do what feels comfortable) and pointing inward a bit, bending the knees slightly and allowing the knees to come together some and whole body to relax. I've made some progress just messing around with the little bit I've learned from that, as well as calling on the memories of bombing hills on my board, totally relaxed. Since there are many different ways we use our bodies, I'm thinking I just need to keep playing around the way I've been doing and find positions that use my muscles.

The main thing i guess I'm trying to accomplish is symmetry. If there are any "ready stances" or other exercises that come to mind, or if you have some other advice it'd be appreciated.

Edited by Tux

Simple standing can be a powerful practice. I'll do simple standing and ratchet up the experience by listening to Rawn Clarks Archaeous series. Its a free practice from his site ( abardoncompanion.com ). Its a series of 15 minutes long progressive meditations that set the body up elementally in terms of hips down being the earth, hips to ribcage being water, then air, the head being fire.

It keeps me standing for 15 minutes and tunes me up. Rawn has some remarkable series of exercises on his site, he's a wonderfully generous guy. I like the Center of Stillness meditation and his YHVH chant series is very deep.

Michael