Mal

Calling all weather magicians

There is a very large cyclone forming up and heading for North Queensland :(

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

and there isn't really anywhere "safe" that it could be deflected to. So if anyone is good at manipulating weather trying to de-intensify this would useful.

If Yasi arrives as a category 4 or 5 as predicted that will be very bad :ph34r:

Cyclone Anthony, category 2, hit land last night (~100km southwest of me) and while it caused a fair bit of damage we are use to cyclones doing that this time of year. 2's and 3's can be very destructive but 4's and above basically blow everything off the map :(

So prayers to your favorite deity that Yasi causes the least amount of harm possible are appreciated _/\_

p.s.

Category 1 with strongest wind gust measured at less than 125 kilometres per hour. Usually causes minimal house damage but may cause damage to some crops, trees and caravans and water craft may drag mooings.

Category 2 with strongest wind gust measured at 125-170km/h. May cause minor house damage but significant damage to signs, trees and caravans, and heavy damage to some crops. There may be risk of power failure and small craft my break moorings.

Category 3 with strongest wind gust measured at 170-225km/h. May cause roof and structural damage, destroy caravans, cause power failure.

Category 4 with strongest wind gust measured at 225-280km/h. May cause significant roofing loss and structural damage, dangerous airborne debris, widespread power failure.

Category 5 with strongest wind gust at more than 280km/h. Extremely dangerous and causing widespread destruction.

There is a very large cyclone forming up and heading for North Queensland :(

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi

and there isn't really anywhere "safe" that it could be deflected to. So if anyone is good at manipulating weather trying to de-intensify this would useful.

If Yasi arrives as a category 4 or 5 as predicted that will be very bad :ph34r:

Cyclone Anthony, category 2, hit land last night (~100km southwest of me) and while it caused a fair bit of damage we are use to cyclones doing that this time of year. 2's and 3's can be very destructive but 4's and above basically blow everything off the map :(

So prayers to your favorite deity that Yasi causes the least amount of harm possible are appreciated _/\_

p.s.

Category 1 with strongest wind gust measured at less than 125 kilometres per hour. Usually causes minimal house damage but may cause damage to some crops, trees and caravans and water craft may drag mooings.

Category 2 with strongest wind gust measured at 125-170km/h. May cause minor house damage but significant damage to signs, trees and caravans, and heavy damage to some crops. There may be risk of power failure and small craft my break moorings.

Category 3 with strongest wind gust measured at 170-225km/h. May cause roof and structural damage, destroy caravans, cause power failure.

Category 4 with strongest wind gust measured at 225-280km/h. May cause significant roofing loss and structural damage, dangerous airborne debris, widespread power failure.

Category 5 with strongest wind gust at more than 280km/h. Extremely dangerous and causing widespread destruction.

While I am no weather manipulator, I will send positive thoughts your way...for a small storm (I've gone through some nasty hurricanes in my time) and for everyone's safety.

Be well, stay safe!

Peace and Love

Ive been having some success with weather magic lately, I summoned up a peaceful thunder storm and false spring for us last week in the dead of winter. ^_^

Ill give it a go over the next few days.

Sending relevant effects your way.

Any way you could leave for a while?

To the place outside the orange part?

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone.

Low lying areas have been evacuated + quite a few people have left for southern or western towns.

30,000 evacuated from Cairns as city braces for a pounding from Cyclone Yasi

Fortunately roads are mostly good. Nursing home residences etc got flown out a few days ago and things like construction cranes got pulled down etc.

Unfortunately it looks likely to cross the coast at high tide so the storm surge will be quite extensive and the gale zone is so large that it's likly to remain as a cyclone untill its well inland (smaller ones just turn into a rain depression once they cross the coast) We have modeling for 1 in 100 year events and this is looking just like the models. Even the weather bureau said

SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN

EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA,

ESPECIALLY BETWEEN CAIRNS AND TOWNSVILLE.

THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURING

RECENT GENERATIONS

. Their caps ! :unsure:

Between Cape Tribulation and Ingham these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with

gusts in excess of 125km/hr during the afternoon and early evening and VERY

DESTRUCTIVE with gusts up to 300 km/hr between Cairns and Ingham during the

evening as the cyclone approaches and crosses the coast

Everything is about as prepared as it can be. We do get cyclones every year. Our houses are built for cyclones and North Queenslanders are experienced in dealing with them. Although nothing this big has been close to me before. Athea hit Townsville as a cat 4 Christmas 71, but I wasn't borne till 73. My partner was in Cairns when Larry (cat 4) went through Innisfail, but you don't get as much rain to the north of them + the depo where she worked was basically a huge safe (they stored money) so no way that was getting blown away..

Just starting to get the 1st bit of rain and wind now. Expect to loose power eventually. Probably pop in now and then till it does. Then I'll see you all in a day or so.

We ALL spend, Nature comes to collect. Relentless.

Yep, it's praying time :)

Thanks for the update Mal.

So, will you be safe, even if your house gets hit? What I mean is, do you have a cellar (or is that not a good idea due to floodwater?) or a low-lying something to hide in until it blows over? Or a boat for after it? I don't know.

I was thinking about this (you) today and I was wondering if you had a storm setup or if leaving or whatever was a better idea. I'd really rather you got the hell out. But, hey.

Sending the best stuff your way :)

300kmh? let's hope not. hunker down mal. i will be praying for my aussie brothers and sisters(again)(floods).i cannot even imagine what the howl of the winds from the squal lines will sound or feel like.

If it hits as this one predicts

IDQ65001.gif?1296619297958

It's probably best case scenario. Cairns and Townsville (the big population centers) brushed by the north and south end, not looking good at all for the middle though :(

I'll be fine, don't worry. If it went right over the top of Townsville like the very 1st map showed that might have been a different story, seriously considered leaving then. That's a rather weird experience as I have LOTS of books and knicknacks that I've collected and carted around all my life. But when I considered what I'd need to save none of them were worth taking :)

But as things stand we will take some damage. I'm slightly up a hill so I'm higher than the flood areas (also get some wind protection from the hill) 2 story house so even if the roof goes the downstairs toilet has solid walls + I've got my motorbike helmet to protect my head Leaving shelter is what gets people killed so you just bunker down in the strongest part of the house. If it goes as that latest prediction shows Yasi shouldn't totally destroy houses in Tsv and Cairns.

But if I seriously though the house was going to disintegrate I'd just go to work instead :lol: Hospital staff and families can shelter there + D is working tonight so I'll be going there for a bit anyhow. There will be a lot for us to organise the next few days trying to keep everything stocked up, obtaining and distributing supplies to the effected towns etc (I'm in purchasing and logistics) We've just got to get through this to get to those next few days :)

Crossing the coast now apparently. Lost power a few hours ago, ~5 min after the end of the cricket game on tv :D

Yasi kinked south a bit. F'ing windy here but otherwise all good and I am only just on the destructive/gale force winds. Would not like to be any closer.

• Like 1

Dawn. No house damage. Neighbors look alright. Trees down and still very windy, apparently got to 150km/h and that was enough to feel the house move. Not cool at all especially when you can't see what is causing the noise.

Unsure of others, turned the radio off once it crossed the coast after the post above as the talkback was frankly very scary when you can feel your own house moving too.

Will find out during the day. Now that I can see that there is no house dammage might be able to get a bit of sleep,

p.s not much power left in the laptop so I might not be back today

I hope everyone else was a blessed as I was _/\_

Mal, what a relief. Thanks for keeping us updated so well. I hope your friends and neighbors are okay too. This is a rough year.

Okay, now wait a minute.

Let's get this straight. You had a category 5 cyclone aimed directly at your town, and you posted a cry for weather shamans. Did you just say that the storm took a bit of a jog before it hit Queensland? I don't know what the others did, but is there any chance that any weirdness we tried may have actually worked? I did an odd little ceremony involving a candle, an atlas, and high pressure.

Wouldn't that be something?

Good to hear you are OK and also this cyclone has caused little damage. Maybe the prayers sent did work. :)

Btw, now the northeast of the US is being severely battered by winter storms. I just heard on the news that 1 metre of snow just fell on Chicago.

Yes 2011 is going to be tough, Metal Rabbit but not as fierce as the also inauspicious Metal Tiger.

We shall wait and see for more weird events to come. Let's watch more agitated impermanence.

Namo, namo.

Edited by Gerard

My net connection went out posting that last message saying that I was o.k. and I have not been able to get back online since (still no power)

I didn't think the message went through so I've been worried that you have been worried about me :lol:

Over at my parents now, they have power and jumped online to say Hi and thanks for you thoughts and prayers. Everyone seem to have faired better than we expected, which is great :)

• Like 2

Good to hear you are OK and that in the end the damage has been minimal and only to inanimate things, which is surprising as the cyclone was given the category of 5. sad.gif

Anyway keep drinking tea and dancing shadow boxing :)

"I don't know what the others did"

Sent relevant stuff?

I mean think of what happens if "you" don't know anything about weather systems and you actually end up visualizing something that would work counter to what you're trying to achieve? And what about the will of the storm itself?

I was under the impression that for stuff to "work", it had to respect the free will of all. Or is that a myth?

I'm glad Mal and co are alright and there's been less damage than expected. :)

"I don't know what the others did"

Sent relevant stuff?

I mean think of what happens if "you" don't know anything about weather systems and you actually end up visualizing something that would work counter to what you're trying to achieve? And what about the will of the storm itself?

I was under the impression that for stuff to "work", it had to respect the free will of all. Or is that a myth?

I'm glad Mal and co are alright and there's been less damage than expected. :)

So what you're saying is that it was wrong to try?