effilang

How long does a Tao bum sleep?

A few articles to stoke the fire:

Five hours' sleep is enough, study finds

The Recommended Hours of Sleep

6 hours of sleep? It's not enough

Sleeping for less than six hours may cause early death, study finds

What say ye fellow asses? - i mean bums. How much do you need, and what have you read/heard of the Masters and high level practitioners?

Love, love, love.

Langster.

While comfortable 5 to 7 hours.

When on the run or when sleeping is a risk.

5 or less.

Edited by NeiChuan

6 to 7, though I could use more, as qi movements are keeping me up during the nite! :wacko:

I hope to one day substitute meditation for part of sleep time. :ninja:

Anyone achieve this?

Lol Do your movements before or after breakfast, after some water.

Mm When I did the MCO, I could sleep for an hour then wake alert and be good for the next day.

5/6 hours I felt better then I did after 1 hour. Thing is any little sound would wake me up. I'd still wake alert though.

Edited by NeiChuan

I can slip in and out of polyphasic sleeping. It is a state where deep sleep is suspended or reduced (0-4 hours a night), and dream sleep is divided into 20 minute segments and sprinkled throughout the day (every 4 hours).

During some of my wilder adventures Ive spent several days, while only pretending to sleep. :ninja:

I usually prefer 8 hours because its healthier. ;)

7 hours is very good, but due to my work I usually have to catch up after the weekends when I get maybe 4-5 hours a night.

I think I could manage with 5-6 hours but not with the stress levels I cope with right now.

IMHO no one-size fits all :lol:

5-6 hours + a siesta

I have found that the quality of sleep is essential. The time spent in bed is less important.

Being forced to maximize the quality due to lack of quantity, here's what I've found:

1. Eat a protein snack/meal 1 to 2 hours before sleep. Result is lack of sluggishness due to low blood sugar in the morning (starvation mode)

2. Don't drink caffinated drinks after 6pm

3. Don't drink alcohol 2 hours prior to sleep. Don't drink more than equivalent to 2 glasses of red wine. This dramatically reduces the quality of sleep. Research backs this up. Liver works overtime.

4. Cold baths/shower in the evening induces more REM sleep. More REM = more restful after a night in bed.

5. No emotional upheaval before bed: that goes for TV shows, arguments, X-box, smart phones, etc.

6. Transform Jing through qigong or Jing-focused meditation before bed.

7. Most important, and also most overlooked: Always aim at having a clean conscience before bed. This is probably the best sleep medication around. Also the one hardest to solve.

h

• Like 2

Awesome post, Hagar. I would add to that protein snack 1-2 hours, dont eat any closer to bed. Digestion needs energy too and if you've got a gullet full of goodies then your body will have to spend energy digesting instead of replenishing.

Well, it depends on age. If you're growing: less then 8 hours is not sufficient.

If you're growing old less than 8 hours isn't sufficient either.

If you're growing old less than 8 hours isn't sufficient either.

Yep - I'm getting up there in age and feel fine with 9-11 hours per night...

Before Falun Dafa I slept about 8 hrs per night.

Now I sleep 4-5 hrs on weekdays and 5-6 hrs during weekends. I add some daytime naps sometimes.

IMHO no one-size fits all :lol:

Ditto. Everything is changing all the time, and for a reason.

I couldn't write a simple answer to the question, because it fluctuates at any rate you want to use ... short-term, long-term. Currently ( whatever that time frame is defined as ;) ) when there's something to do I get 2-8 hours of sleep (morning to noon), depending on my sleep buffer and who knows how many other factors. In other cases, I sleep up to 15 hours (morning to evening).

When the jing is full one won't think of sex.

When the chi is full one wont hunger

when the sehn is full one won't sleep

If we fill the jing by forcing celibacy

If we increase chi by fasting

Then I'd assume if we stop sleeping then we'd need less of it.

Personally I've already been celibate for like...awhile, lol. I've been on a liquid diet(with enzymes, algae and probiotics) for a god bit and as a result I've only been needing to sleep like once every 2 days for about 5 hours. My energy hasn't really changed in terms of strength of speed but I don't really get tired anymore. Like usually I'll put myself because I'll run out of things to do. Of course I should be meditating more so i'm trying to work on meditating instead of sleeping.

Upon questioning why we sleep I've come to a few theories which i'm running on. The first reason we sleep is to recover, we drain energy from our consciousness (shen) if we don't have enough bio-energy (chi) to repair and maintain our physical essence (jing).

Modern living is full of behaviours that drain our energy. If we can identify what drains our energy and replace that with habits that BUILD energy instead, I believe we can all reach a state of little to no sleep.

Michelangelo used to sleep only 20mins every 4 hours. When asked about it he said it was the secret to his creativity and energy.

The second reason is to process repressed emotions or ideas that haven't been allowed to express themselves.

To me this is a result of a weakened spirit or lowered awareness, a numbing/sedation. When I fast and make a conscious effort to stay away from things that overstimulate the senses I'm SUPER sensitive to everything and feel everything ten-fold. We we sedate ourselves by draining our bio-energy and thus draining our shen or awareness then we can't fully process our experiences and thus need sleep to relive them and re-experience them. So I think that by increasing the bio-energy we thus increase the shen or awareness and then we begin to process things on a stronger level and thus need less sleep.

Again, all of the above are just my theories based on experiences and observations

-Astral

Edited by Astral_Anima

Can I add from my experience,

Its important like many things, not to obsess over each thing.  In our chi kung school they say the most important thing is to relax.  Relax your mind, body, and then relax your mind and body some more!  So, just some advice to daobum readers who may not be aware don't stress if you can't / find it difficult to follow some of the more subtle advice here.   For example

4. Cold baths/shower in the evening induces more REM sleep. More REM = more restful after a night in bed.

from Hagar's post above.  I hate cold shower, especially in winter.  So although I will try this advice at times (assumign Hagar has some scientific evidence to back it up lol, i'm sure he does), in winter I will avoid it, and not worry that I am not doing it.

If you don't know what will work with sleep, just do like with building a new kitchen, strip down everything but the basics, and work upwards, adding positive layers and habits, and healthy things like potplants, organic pillow, and regular washing and airing of your bedding.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, Goldleaf said:

Can I add from my experience,

Its important like many things, not to obsess over each thing.  In our chi kung school they say the most important thing is to relax.  Relax your mind, body, and then relax your mind and body some more!  So, just some advice to daobum readers who may not be aware don't stress if you can't / find it difficult to follow some of the more subtle advice here.   For example

from Hagar's post above.  I hate cold shower, especially in winter.  So although I will try this advice at times (assumign Hagar has some scientific evidence to back it up lol, i'm sure he does), in winter I will avoid it, and not worry that I am not doing it.

If you don't know what will work with sleep, just do like with building a new kitchen, strip down everything but the basics, and work upwards, adding positive layers and habits, and healthy things like potplants, organic pillow, and regular washing and airing of your bedding.

Yes, on a higher level we entertain beliefs that create reality. We should come to an understanding which of the things we do are driven by fear and which by love, and then take a step aside from ourselves and decide what we can realistically do. Condemning the Devil makes him stronger, so to speak. Better to say: Well, maybe he doesn't exist. Or maybe he does. Not an immediate concern right now.

If your find yourself acting from weakness and try to fight it... well, you are weak then, so guess what will happen, hah.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nungali said:

How long can a Tao Bum's thread sleep for ?

This bums sleeps for 6 to 7 hours a night, maximum.

I got to bed when I am tired, about 9 or 10PM and I get up and start my day when I wake up, usually around 4AM.

If I lay in bed or go back to sleep I am sluggish for hours. I feel best when I get up and hit the ground running. :)

I think I 'sleep' around 6 hours , but probably dont .   Sometimes I  'come to consciousness'  and realise I haven't been asleep at all , like, from a slight noise or something.

Or, as they say with electronic equipment ; I am 'asleep'  but not 'turned off' .   At times during the night I am 'turned off' ; once  I  was awoken by a ' dull ' noise and thought " Whaaa ?   Mhe   ...  "   - went back to sleep . It was a wind storm that had knocked the crown off two trees that had landed on three sides of the cabin, missing it by inches all round and pinning the doors and windows shut . In the morning  I had to climb out a window on the other side to get out .

I am pretty sure I was asleep when that happened .

" Sleep tight .... dont let the bedbugs bite . "

Spoiler

4530_3.jpg?x55595

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kar3n said:

This bums sleeps for 6 to 7 hours a night, maximum.

I got to bed when I am tired, about 9 or 10PM and I get up and start my day when I wake up, usually around 4AM.

If I lay in bed or go back to sleep I am sluggish for hours. I feel best when I get up and hit the ground running. :)

There's a 4AM in the morning!?!  Who knew!

• Haha 3

I have slept in all time intervals depending on circumstances and do not limit myself to specific sets of times. I have a natural rhythm  of movement and stillness.

Those who know what the right amount of time is for sleep is a dead system. I am alive so the dead system does not work for me. 

Activity leads to stillness so If one is very active then the appropriate amount of stillness is required with this system only you can actually know what is right.

Sorry professionals of sleep study, getting paid should compensate for misleading and confusing people about what the right amount of sleep is.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 10:58 AM, Michael Sternbach said:

How long does a Tao bum sleep?

Until they are awakened!

:D

It is so obvious, it had to be pointed out.

I guess we're all still asleep, heh.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Owledge said:

It is so obvious, it had to be pointed out.

I guess we're all still asleep, heh.

not awake yet

but there's a little window

with a lovely view

• Like 2