bodyoflight

The Older Generation has really screwed up this world..

I have traveled and lived in a number of countries.. the asia region being the bulk of my travels but I have spent a bit of time in the UK, the US and I have lived in Australia for about a decade or so...

What I discovered is that the whole world, but especially the asia region, is really gripped in the samsara of materialism.. I am not saying that one has to be an hermit or be really poor in order to be enlightened.. but there has to be a balance..

now why am I flipping off on this topic all of a sudden? for the last 18 months, i have been living in China, HK and Taiwan.. it seems that the younger asians are heavily brain-washed by their elders and their elders are like too focused on money, procreation and the usual cycle of rebirth and death..

just a few weeks ago, i was at one of the largest temples in Taipei.. as I was praying and chanting in front of a deity for just a few minutes.. there was this 60+ year old grandma holding her grandchild's hand and after looking at me, she told her grandchild, "there is no need to pray so hard.. just be a good person and all will be well.." .. Hello? I was only chanting for just a few minutes and how is that considered to be praying hard?...

Last night, a rather famous 45+ talk-show guest said this rather shocking statement.. she wondered why there are some people in this world who are content with leading ordinary lives with no desire of getting a mate or getting rich.. she said that she would prefer a world where everyone have sexual desires or material greed so that they can spend all their time and energies working their asses of instead of contemplating enlightenment?..

today, i just watched a show where all the guests are like 45+ and above.. there were 2 taoist masters, 1 fortune teller and 2 mothers.. those 2 mothers have daughters who are some c-list stars in the taiwanese media industries.. and these 5 suckers were all talking about how to change their fortunes for the better and how to earn more money via spiritual methods bla bla bla...

Jeez man...

I bet if every country has tv programs teaching the masses how to get enlightened fast, the whole of humanity would transform into lightbodies in less than a decade...

In Hindu cosmology we are in the stage of Kali Yuga, the 'Dark Age.' The 4th stage of a divine cycle where there there is a decreasing decent into spiritual matter, a solidification, and a greater attachment to the physical plane. - That'll explain it! :)

• Like 1

now why am I flipping off on this topic all of a sudden?

Well, I am glad that your post does not apply to all of us older people.

I am retired. I retired early because I realized I already had enough and I would make room for someone of the younger generation.

I am not influenced by the media as to how to live my life. I am influenced by my inspirations and they are rather simple.

Yes, I have a home, a vehicle, a nice TV, excellent music equipment, etc.

But I didn't feel that I needed more than enough.

Yes, there will always be those who are influenced by others through on form of media or another. But that is their choice. We are free to live (within given limitations) whatever form of life we wish to live. Some choose material wealth, others choose inner peace.

I think the problems are largely caused by imbalanced growth of humanity in that our head intelligence has grown very quickly with all sorts of technological and scientific advancements over the generations which have the potential to do much good, while our emotional side or heart has remained retarded. So there has been growth it's just our emotional development has to catch up quickly or there will always be big problems and I guess it is our job in our generation to help that process along and correct the imbalance.

every generation blames the ones before. not a new idea. yes we are in the materialistic age part of kali yuga. it is what it is. there was a book come out in 1894 from a yogi sri sri sri someboday. i dont mean to disrespect him becoz imo that book was supercool and very insightful. i just dont happen to have a copy here.

The Science of ....??????? there will always be a small group of folks who yearn for more than mere materialistic trappings in this age. the next age it is said , the larger group of folks goes for the spiritual enlightened stuff.

Always good to have sympathy for the devil. It allows us to recognize the demons in ourselves.

For example look at the lives and times of the Older Generation. They may have lived lives of poverty and fear. Extremes make for irrational waves. It may be measured in generations but when the waves settle rationality and equilibrium is reached.

All we can do is find balance ourselves and let the big waves go by.

Michael

From my point of view, my generation is just as bad, or even worse. I'm currently in uni, meant to be a melting pot of cultures. I know very few people who don't scorn spirituality outright and even fewer who actively follow some sort of path. Recently the buddhist meditation classes in the uni stopped because no one was going. It's just the way things are, no one wants to consider the way they live their lives, they only want to consume things. If it can't entertain them, they don't want to know. At least at some point it'll reach its peak and we'll get onto the next part of the cycle. I think.

There is nothing wrong with people choosing to not seek enlightenment.

Look at how many seekers there are, compared to how many true realizers...is the path worth it, if you give up your life and attain nothing? That's up to each person to decide, for themselves. No one else should make their decision for them, or judge them on whether it's right or wrong.

If someone decides that it's not worth it, and simply being a good person is their path, you should respect their decision. Virtue is everything, both when it comes to improving this mundane world, as well as making true spiritual progress. Perhaps that person is further along than yourself, more grounded, and understands more about the consequences of too much "spirituality".

The grandmother is trying to raise her grandchild right, through her wisdom. But you took personal offense, and started condemning basically all of Asia, because they don't pray as hard as you do! :lol:

• Like 2

From my point of view, my generation is just as bad, or even worse. I'm currently in uni, meant to be a melting pot of cultures. I know very few people who don't scorn spirituality outright and even fewer who actively follow some sort of path. Recently the buddhist meditation classes in the uni stopped because no one was going. It's just the way things are, no one wants to consider the way they live their lives, they only want to consume things. If it can't entertain them, they don't want to know. At least at some point it'll reach its peak and we'll get onto the next part of the cycle. I think.

Well observed and well stated. The media controls not only those who have been in the system for a long time, but also anyone(most people) in it now. It's especially easy to program our youth nowadays. With overworked parents, TV and public schooling is the perfect chance to catch the break they need and let the friendly local government program our kids.

Its sad because the answer is so simple, few of us see it. And for the few that see it VERY few do anything about it. But either way the current way of things is unsustainable and will crash. Then we will either return to nature and live peacefully or take the next step in destruction and...well continue destroying, lol.

-Astral

"Cause the cycle just gets sicker

the more that we sip liquor

and pray that it gets rid of

our problems, it more bitter

yo i'm not a bullshitter man

all that glitters can't be gold

we sold our souls for so little land

now we gotta stop following these fake leaders

stand proud and stop swallowing what they feed us"

In Hindu cosmology we are in the stage of Kali Yuga, the 'Dark Age.' The 4th stage of a divine cycle where there there is a decreasing decent into spiritual matter, a solidification, and a greater attachment to the physical plane. - That'll explain it! :)

If this is so, what then of free will? Is our fate sealed in that this "Dark Age" cannot be transformed into an age of enlightenment? If we live in a Reality where our fate and destiny is predetermined based on macrocosmic forces, then we are slaves in essence, no? It's a thought that occurred to me a while ago after I kept seeing the explanations for why things are the way they are being attributed to universal cycles that severely limit our potential...

Our fate is not sealed in the 'Dark age' it's just more difficult to achieve spiritual progress. So they say? :)

If this is so, what then of free will? Is our fate sealed in that this "Dark Age" cannot be transformed into an age of enlightenment? If we live in a Reality where our fate and destiny is predetermined based on macrocosmic forces, then we are slaves in essence, no? It's a thought that occurred to me a while ago after I kept seeing the explanations for why things are the way they are being attributed to universal cycles that severely limit our potential...

Caste system dawg. If the peasants get word that they have a choice whether to be a peasant or not and learn that they have the power to change then they'll revolt/flee for sure.

Money: Lets create paper (which now has NO value since the gold standard is gone), and we (the rich) will decide what everything is worth and control the markets/economy and make people think they need this paper so when we make it more scarce they'll be more easily controlled. They'll surely trade any morals or standards they once had because they'll think they wont survive without it. Then we'll have them doing all the hard work because they'll believe it's the only way to survive.

Industry: Lets study psychology and brain chemistry to determine products which will overstimulate the senses and cause people to become diseased and addicted. THEN after making that the "norm" people will no longer question why it happens and simply accept it as a way of life. After that we'll come out with "the best science has" a pill that will suppress the symptoms of their ails (which we caused) which will keep them hooked on that so they can function and cope with their disease.

Media: Lets take advantage of the new "sub-human" consciousness of the people (thanks to the efforts of industry) and make songs with catchy rhythms and we'll put lyrics that play as mantras in their heads which will slowly change they way they think into what we want. Then we'll use TVs and Movies to create associates between the happiness they all want and the things we want them to equate with happiness. Since we don't want people becoming independent and self aware, we'll make it seem like getting into a relationship will solve all their problems. And if it fails because they haven't dealt with their own internal issues then we'll make it seem like the other person "just wasn't for them". We'll make "bad" seem exciting and "good" seem boring, that way morals will degrade and anyone who tries to resist our changes will basically be an outcast and under constant pressure to conform. We'll make self-destructive habits popular just to add insult to injury.

Oh btw this was all discussed over a huge game of Risk :P

-Astral

• Like 1

I think the problems are largely caused by imbalanced growth of humanity in that our head intelligence has grown very quickly with all sorts of technological and scientific advancements over the generations which have the potential to do much good, while our emotional side or heart has remained retarded. So there has been growth it's just our emotional development has to catch up quickly or there will always be big problems and I guess it is our job in our generation to help that process along and correct the imbalance.

thats a great observation, I had never thought of things in this manner

From my point of view, my generation is just as bad, or even worse. I'm currently in uni, meant to be a melting pot of cultures.
The thing is, modern pop culture has supplanted genuine culture in modernized societies.

When you get together with such average laypeople today - all they talk about is pop culture beamed to them through a tube. TV shows, movies, music, video games, consumer products, etc. Our "gods" today are comic book heroes. People often define their identities now based upon their viewing & consumer habits (favorite shows or brands). These are the common touchstones and cultural references now.

Which are all COMPLETELY MADE-UP FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AND STORIES OF ZERO USE TO ANY OF US IN THE REAL WORlD.

So, who gives a f*** about all this made-up virtual reality??? Why should I remotely care about things that never even existed or happened?

This is one of the main reasons why I got rid of my TV and stopped watching movies years ago. I realized what a complete waste of time it all was. I needed to be spending that time & energy doing things that could actually actively improve MY life (not just make others in the entertainment industry wealthier).

Such as Old World cultures that were methods developed and passed down over generations specifically to aid in personal survival and well-being. Functional stuff that YOU can actually use to better YOURSELF. The real problem today is not so much consumerism - but the loss of this real USEFUL culture that evolved from actual people and events.

Edited by vortex

bodyoflight,

One of the reasons I left Taiwan altogeher. Too materialistic and "americanised" for my taste. Also mainland China is not better, but there are parts of this country unlike Taiwan who are less influenced by the Western media and extreme material values. China is a huge country wheread Taiwan is a hyperpopulated tiny island. Hard to get lost in there even the Buddhist temples high in the mountains are a mockery, they behave like mini-corporations. Very sad as they have deviated from the true Dharma.

My advice is to seek elsewhere in Asia. There are still pockets left where you can cultivate quietly away from the mundane unawakened world. You can return once you blossomed and teach to the humans who are keen to learn.

Finish your Bagua training or learn as much as you can as the teachers I recommended in the other thread you are great.

All the best in your spiritual path.

Namo Amitabha Buddha.

:)

• Like 1

Its nice to escape urbanity and modernization, but the Tao and its practice is everywhere. IMO It relies on the inner environment, not the external.

Michael

• Like 1

I said the same thing about my generation when I was young. It's just easier to blame than to accept responsibility for what is in front of you, regardless of whether you're responsible for it or not. The fact is the world is not to your liking, but that doesn't mean it's not the way it should be or is supposed to be. He who knows the Tao does not speak, he who speaks does not know.

This brings to mind the current generation of Taoist Masters that are publishing books, holding seminars, and generally attempting to acquire riches in the name of Taoism. When you right books like "The Tao of Success" it seems to contradict everything that the Tao Teh Ching talks about. First we're not supposed to strive to be successful, rather we're supposed to strive to work in harmony with each other. Lao Tzu himself says that what he teaches is simple, but the world doesn't understand these teachings. This hasn't changed in the last 2,000 years, because man's is still living an ego driven existence.

We expect the world to change, but let me tell you, it's not going to change, because it's exactly the way it's supposed to be. There's nothing wrong with the world, in fact the world isn't expected to change, the individual is supposed to take responsibility for his own life and change his own life however he deems he should.

If you really want to see a difference in the world, stop judging, even those who judge, and let others live the way they want to live and you live the way you want to. Do what you should and what should happen will happen.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

we are all born into a world not of our making. we are what we think. all that we are arises with our thoughts. with our thoughts, we (re)make the world.

i think our ancestors generally did the best they could. it is a very few people who actually change the course of human events.for better or for worse.

I used to think similar things when i was younger, and also "i did not choose to be here" which i still sometimes juggle at times. Truth is its not that simple. And we did choose to be here, we just can't remember choosing. Just stay strong, know there is good out there. Perhaps we are a minority who are in realisation of a completely out of balance system, but the minority is growing and you are not alone mate.

TF

• Like 1

Caste system dawg. If the peasants get word that they have a choice whether to be a peasant or not and learn that they have the power to change then they'll revolt/flee for sure.

Money: Lets create paper (which now has NO value since the gold standard is gone), and we (the rich) will decide what everything is worth and control the markets/economy and make people think they need this paper so when we make it more scarce they'll be more easily controlled. They'll surely trade any morals or standards they once had because they'll think they wont survive without it. Then we'll have them doing all the hard work because they'll believe it's the only way to survive.

Industry: Lets study psychology and brain chemistry to determine products which will overstimulate the senses and cause people to become diseased and addicted. THEN after making that the "norm" people will no longer question why it happens and simply accept it as a way of life. After that we'll come out with "the best science has" a pill that will suppress the symptoms of their ails (which we caused) which will keep them hooked on that so they can function and cope with their disease.

Media: Lets take advantage of the new "sub-human" consciousness of the people (thanks to the efforts of industry) and make songs with catchy rhythms and we'll put lyrics that play as mantras in their heads which will slowly change they way they think into what we want. Then we'll use TVs and Movies to create associates between the happiness they all want and the things we want them to equate with happiness. Since we don't want people becoming independent and self aware, we'll make it seem like getting into a relationship will solve all their problems. And if it fails because they haven't dealt with their own internal issues then we'll make it seem like the other person "just wasn't for them". We'll make "bad" seem exciting and "good" seem boring, that way morals will degrade and anyone who tries to resist our changes will basically be an outcast and under constant pressure to conform. We'll make self-destructive habits popular just to add insult to injury.

-Astral

That was so damn beautiful!:)

I love that game!:)

Anything else to add?

Its nice to escape urbanity and modernization, but the Tao and its practice is everywhere. IMO It relies on the inner environment, not the external.

Michael

Yes but also depending on how far you want to go. Everything is relative, my friend. Some need the mountains others the alleys.

Namo, namo.

:)

Edited by Gerard

-Astral

This entirely leaves out the law of unintended consequences and is assigning causality to by-products.

Money was created to facilitate transactions based on a widely agreed upon value. Correct that value is assigned to something that has no "intrinsic value" but at the same time, gold only has "intrinsic value" because we say it does. At any rate its a hell of a lot easier than agreeing upon value-correlations for bartering, which actually leaves more room for charlatans to twist deals in their favor - ever haggle with a street vendor in a foreign country?

Industry :wacko: All businesses start out as someone with an idea to fill other's needs, and if the idea werent fruitful and popular enough, the business does not succeed, plain and simple.

And those who have most flocked to the media are those who feel they have a message to get out there. Not intrinsically bad or good, it can be used for either. To purport that the very reason for their inceptions is as nefarious as you say entirely neglects history and origins.

Again, completely discarding causality. That any of these can be bent to nefarious purposes does not in any way shape or form point at their creation being for these purposes. Your post is propaganda.