Everything

Meditation makes you dull

Hey guys, I've kinda been thinking about how meditation is effecting me and others. I'm not sure what its positive effects are, still. I just noticed a better concentration on my part and less emotional responses to things like stress or whatever.

This makes you tranquil, its a nice peaceful state of being. But it seems kinda dull of emotions. Boring almost in a way... Sure we can reach happiness better from there, but how? then you become happy and instantly become all emotionally sensitive again. I don't get how meditation will raise your geniun happiness.

First you joke and laugh with your friends, then you meditate, then you're silent.... Then what. lol. Its kinda boring to my friends when I've in peaceful mode.

Edited by Everything

<_< my meditation experiences are never boring ever. it is not like being put in the corner for time-out. i think it rather sharpens me . added awareness and focus.

do you ever have some days where you think anything is possible? or things just flow easier? or , nobody better mess with you on that day becoz u r on top of ur game?

while other days things dont flow so well, or maybe you cringe at the thought of someone messing with you coz , it just isnt ur day? for me meditation smoothes all this out. and i think even on a bad day, wow this is a good day. if it was a day that i did meditate, or qigong, or baguazhang, or taiji, xingyi, whatever it can all have a meditative state. i could focus at the flame of a candle ,( not merely staring at it)watching each flicker , how the flame changes its size, shape, colors. every little detail about its emission.how each flame takes on a charactor of its own.how the flame can sometimes look fluid,do the feathery flame edges look hard or soft? its aura, wow its aura :) how my aura can affect its aura. how this .......i cannot imagine life without meditation.

And what is "boredom"? next time your "bored" consider why you're bored. Ask questions like "do i need to be doing things to be happy?" "Is happiness only from external things or from an internal state?" "Why am I uncomfortable sitting doing nothing?"

I'll share my personal findings. I've found that when I'm alone, I'm exposed. I get to see myself for who I am and not who I may pretend to be in society. When I was younger I was somewhat "pushed" into isolation and it was hell at best. However from experiencing being alone and being still I learned what "boredom" to me was. To me loneliness and boredom come as a result of not loving/accepting oneself and from being shut off from one's emotions.

Re-dullness, well yeah, lol, duh. The point, generally, with meditation is to relax the nervous system and learn to concentrate the mind. However the typical lifestyle of most people is over-stimulation. We have the over-stimulation of the taste buds and nose via cooked foods and artificial flavours/chemicals, over-stimulation of the eyes and ears via TV, internet and ipods, and of course all of this overstimulates the organs and nervous system.

Now the funny thing about over-stimulation is that it leaves you with a "down-time". This means you get high from it then the high goes away and you're left feeling kinda shitty. But instead of realize the mistake one will go back to that overstimulating thing thinking it'll make them happy again, make them feel good (notice the similarities with a drug addiction). Then people tell you it's "normal" for this to happen so the guilt goes away and we have a society of addicts who'll never believe you when you tell them :P

Meditation (imo) is not about dulling the senses/emotions, however I do think that it'll force some "down-time" in which you experience some of the negative effects of the over-stimulation one may receive on a daily basis. Likewise I've found that dullness in life is actually CAUSED by being out of touch with ones emotions. Now obviously everyone still "feels" but we usually don't "feel" to our fullest extent. Most of us learn at an early age to suppress alot of our feelings (because modern childhood is often very traumatic) and thus lose that vigor and "spunk" and turn to stimulants to feel alive again.

Try meditation on the heart center (middle dantien). Try imagining a small flame or something very hot and imagine it burning away all of the unprocessed, repressed feelings and emotions, feel it melting away your social masks and pre-scripted responses and your societal programming until you're just you, just pure being and pure feeling. Or you could try a "water-path" meditation method. Kunlun was it for me; but generally these work more on the psyche and bring up alot of the "junk" one's "demons" so to speak, but ime leave you feeling 'alive' all the time.

"Enlightenment isn't becoming emotionless, quite the contrary, it's embracing the full spectrum of human emotions. It's becoming 'truly human'."

Anyway, these are just my opinions/experiences. You'll find your own way. Wish u the best

-Astral

Everything,

What sort of meditation are you doing? Meditation should open you up to experience, not turn you into an emotional zombie. Losing emotional connection with the world is often a sign of going in the wrong direction, or repressing emotions.

• Like 1

And what is "boredom"? next time your "bored" consider why you're bored. Ask questions like "do i need to be doing things to be happy?" "Is happiness only from external things or from an internal state?" "Why am I uncomfortable sitting doing nothing?"

I'll share my personal findings. I've found that when I'm alone, I'm exposed. I get to see myself for who I am and not who I may pretend to be in society. When I was younger I was somewhat "pushed" into isolation and it was hell at best. However from experiencing being alone and being still I learned what "boredom" to me was. To me loneliness and boredom come as a result of not loving/accepting oneself and from being shut off from one's emotions.

Re-dullness, well yeah, lol, duh. The point, generally, with meditation is to relax the nervous system and learn to concentrate the mind. However the typical lifestyle of most people is over-stimulation. We have the over-stimulation of the taste buds and nose via cooked foods and artificial flavours/chemicals, over-stimulation of the eyes and ears via TV, internet and ipods, and of course all of this overstimulates the organs and nervous system.

Now the funny thing about over-stimulation is that it leaves you with a "down-time". This means you get high from it then the high goes away and you're left feeling kinda shitty. But instead of realize the mistake one will go back to that overstimulating thing thinking it'll make them happy again, make them feel good (notice the similarities with a drug addiction). Then people tell you it's "normal" for this to happen so the guilt goes away and we have a society of addicts who'll never believe you when you tell them :P

Meditation (imo) is not about dulling the senses/emotions, however I do think that it'll force some "down-time" in which you experience some of the negative effects of the over-stimulation one may receive on a daily basis. Likewise I've found that dullness in life is actually CAUSED by being out of touch with ones emotions. Now obviously everyone still "feels" but we usually don't "feel" to our fullest extent. Most of us learn at an early age to suppress alot of our feelings (because modern childhood is often very traumatic) and thus lose that vigor and "spunk" and turn to stimulants to feel alive again.

Try meditation on the heart center (middle dantien). Try imagining a small flame or something very hot and imagine it burning away all of the unprocessed, repressed feelings and emotions, feel it melting away your social masks and pre-scripted responses and your societal programming until you're just you, just pure being and pure feeling. Or you could try a "water-path" meditation method. Kunlun was it for me; but generally these work more on the psyche and bring up alot of the "junk" one's "demons" so to speak, but ime leave you feeling 'alive' all the time.

"Enlightenment isn't becoming emotionless, quite the contrary, it's embracing the full spectrum of human emotions. It's becoming 'truly human'."

Anyway, these are just my opinions/experiences. You'll find your own way. Wish u the best

-Astral

Thanks for the response everyone.

Astral, your one spoke directly to me. I don't mind meditation at all, I like it, it calms me down and keeps me stable as a person, to be dependet upon. I think you're right about the dullness of the emotions. It has nothing to do with meditation itself. I either get too little excersize or are cut off from my emotions by neglecting them. Only about happiness... I actually find that only outer stuff can cause my happiness, rather then inner stuff. Well 50% outer stuff, 50% my inner perception of that external stuff. Or is this an ilusion?

I can't just be happy, because of the emotion itself. My happiness is always related to a confident state of mind and one filled with well-being aswell. Positive thinking tends to make me happy, love for everything as "one". Stuff like that makes me feel less, more stable and balanced. This may seem dull for a begin, but I'll have to start somewhere in order to have a more stable happiness, right?

Edited by Everything

Everything,

What sort of meditation are you doing? Meditation should open you up to experience, not turn you into an emotional zombie. Losing emotional connection with the world is often a sign of going in the wrong direction, or repressing emotions.

The reason I actually started this topic is because of some weird moment in my life. I was on a bike and, what seemed like, an old "wise" man with a long beard, with his hands together behind his back, walking slowly and looking at the ground was crossing the path where I was cycling. He did not look up while crossing to the right side of the path. He stood still, I thought I would go left of him. Then I was confused, he aswell. He looked up to me very slowly with those eyes... A long gaze, followed by confusion on my part. Suddenly I was so close and decided to go right and he did aswell, then my heart pounded because the man was old and slow and seemed very dull. I thought I would really run him over and be responsible of his injuries...

At the last moment, the old man with the long beard in a robe jump backwards so quickly, like a serpent and continued to walk in deep contemplation, just as dull as before, looking at the ground while men ahead where in groups, drinking coffee and laughing loudly, making conversations.

The man reminded me of myself, when I was a small child, walking my way to school. I always thought so much, looking in the ground. This was me. I had entire dreams while walking, walking seemed like hours. Then on a day, someone told me to put my head up high while walking, because that ment you're confident and not scared. I thought: "I am not confident indeed! This is true!" And walking would never be the same, and I never wanted to be dull while walking, I did not want to seem like I was wandering... Instead, now I AM wandering with my head up high. This reminded me of how the old wise man who meditated on prayers also seemed dull, thought it might come from meditation. Thought to my self I didn't want to meditate and become dull. Hehe.

Nevermind, I was wrong.

Edited by Everything

As a starting point mediation is an excellent way to clear the mind to ready the body mind state to cultivate those energies into healing and martial applications

The reason I actually started this topic is because of some weird moment in my life. I was on a bike and, what seemed like, an old "wise" man with a long beard, with his hands together behind his back, walking slowly and looking at the ground was crossing the path where I was cycling. He did not look up while crossing to the right side of the path. He stood still, I thought I would go left of him. Then I was confused, he aswell. He looked up to me very slowly with those eyes... A long gaze, followed by confusion on my part. Suddenly I was so close and decided to go right and he did aswell, then my heart pounded because the man was old and slow and seemed very dull. I thought I would really run him over and be responsible of his injuries...

At the last moment, the old man with the long beard in a robe jump backwards so quickly, like a serpent and continued to walk in deep contemplation, just as dull as before, looking at the ground while men ahead where in groups, drinking coffee and laughing loudly, making conversations.

The man reminded me of myself, when I was a small child, walking my way to school. I always thought so much, looking in the ground. This was me. I had entire dreams while walking, walking seemed like hours. Then on a day, someone told me to put my head up high while walking, because that ment you're confident and not scared. I thought: "I am not confident indeed! This is true!" And walking would never be the same, and I never wanted to be dull while walking, I did not want to seem like I was wandering... Instead, now I AM wandering with my head up high. This reminded me of how the old wise man who meditated on prayers also seemed dull, thought it might come from meditation. Thought to my self I didn't want to meditate and become dull. Hehe.

Nevermind, I was wrong.

:D glad you posted this , i never worry , but i was wondering about you. wander on.

Thanks for the response everyone.

Astral, your one spoke directly to me. I don't mind meditation at all, I like it, it calms me down and keeps me stable as a person, to be dependet upon. I think you're right about the dullness of the emotions. It has nothing to do with meditation itself. I either get too little excersize or are cut off from my emotions by neglecting them. Only about happiness... I actually find that only outer stuff can cause my happiness, rather then inner stuff. Well 50% outer stuff, 50% my inner perception of that external stuff. Or is this an ilusion?

I can't just be happy, because of the emotion itself. My happiness is always related to a confident state of mind and one filled with well-being aswell. Positive thinking tends to make me happy, love for everything as "one". Stuff like that makes me feel less, more stable and balanced. This may seem dull for a begin, but I'll have to start somewhere in order to have a more stable happiness, right?

Everything- On a physical level cardio/breathwork and sunlight are important, yes. I'm not going to push this matter but i've also found that alot of "food" actually sedates the body/mind. Raw foods and fasting may not be for you but you may want to experiment with eating less or only raw fruits and veggies and exercising while the sun is up and eating "normal" foods when the sun goes down. Remember that everything you put into your body effects it (on that note you may also want to look into the "sattvic" diet of yoga).

On a more spiritual level well this is a matter you'll have to figure out for yourself. Personally I have found that the stability of one's happiness is relative to their state of awareness and mastery of "mind". The mind is a CRAZY thing (try studying up on hypnosis and shamanism). One of the funny things about the mind is how unaware we are of it. For example. A general rule of the "unconscious mind" is that it doesn't know the difference between what it's told/sees and what really is; which is why the conscious mind acts as a "filter". Or you've heard the old saying, say something enough and you'll eventually begin to believe it?

Well I can only speak for myself on this matter but I have noticed that there are "voices" in my head that sound like me but they aren't "me" talking. I believe everyone has them, when we talk to ourselves unconsciously. Well often times the mind will attach itself to an "idea" and begin to repeat it unless you can become aware of it and detach from it. For example you can feel really sad and worthless and your brain will repeat a phrase like "i'm so worthless" over and over like a mantra and your sadness will continue to increase the more you think of it. Then eventually we may begin to start believing this and it'll effect our life.

Have you ever noticed when you're sad or angry and someone makes you laugh how you get angrier at them? It's because that negative pattern has been disrupted but is resisting. I mean think about it...everyone says they want to be happy so wouldn't they thank that person fro making them laugh? That is the unconscious mind, that is our lack of awareness. If we were to become aware of our goal of happiness at the moment that someone makes us laugh while feeling upset we'd notice the initial anger at them but instead of "react" we'd "respond" and perhaps thank them. But most people are a slave to their emotions, a slave to their mind. In this case "Awareness" is key. Learning to respond rather than react. To remain passive, notice how you want to react to situations and question why.

50% external 50% internal. I would pose it's ALL internal. Any external stimuli would only effect you physically, like getting hit with a baseball bat, the feeling of pain, etc. However it's your response to things that determines your happiness. For example, as a potentially sick experiment, I've trained my body to respond well to pain. I went from avoiding it, to craving it to not really caring whether it's there or not.

Fun fun, but anyway.

Check out these videos below. I've found them to be very insightful and helpful to me, perhaps they may also be of benefit to you.

Sorry this is so long, lol. Hope you find your answers.

-Astral

It will help to do more active meditative stuff like tai chi and yoga. You might also gain some insgiht by reading shinzen youngs articles on equanimity and emotional expressiveness on his site shinzen.org

After trying sitting meditation for several years, I discovered yoga and t'ai chi and realized the importance of active meditation - purely because it's integrated with real, tangible life instead of purely a state of mind... it seems to me to be far more taoist than the more introverted buddhist approach.

Here'a a haiku for you:

great sage meditate

for hours, reach nirvana

oh crap, have to pee

:)

- Tree Stump

My dad is a neuro-psychology of consciousness professor. One of his conferences this year included an analysis on the outcome of non-dual meditation practices.

He told me that the data does, indeed, support this thread's OP; meditation can make you dull! Respondents in the study complained that they were detached from life, disinterested in relationships, not all that happy, and often wished they could go back to their previous way of connecting.

Of course I don't think this suggests that all meditation is bad, but I think it's worthwhile considering the data, and how not to go down the same path.

Personally, most of my practices are movement practices, and very few have anything to do with discipline. They are joyful expressions, or at least yummy stretches. But even then, I still feel the need for adventurous and truly playful practices in my repertoire, because they, more than anything, bring out the shine.

Edited by Otis

Its pretty simple really.. your mistaking happiness in pleasure. Wanting to not seem boring to ur friends is a form of yearning so your heart is discontent. Its said a man is 3 things.. 1)What he thinks he is..2)What others think he is...3)What he really is. Ask yourself if Taoism is reallly for u or u just like the carefree naivity aspect of it

• Like 1

Everything- On a physical level cardio/breathwork and sunlight are important, yes. I'm not going...

...find your answers.

-Astral

Thanks for responses, all.

I can't respond to everyone personally. I'll just try to talk in general here.

The post was big, but I know what you are saying. It is you "believ-system" or perception of the world. An idea superglued to alot of emotional energy, so it is hardwired and valued. A threat to this perception/believe"(hell some people even call them the sum of all trauma's, lol) is a threat to your existance. That is why the wise don't speak in a crowd of strangers. They have an unique world view and it is paradoxical. The believes or inner voices you're talking about are indeed not always coming from our selves. So yeah, it is important to change them if they are limiting you. I've actually done that in the past and it changed my life alot. From being a passive boy who never talked to girls much, I would suddenly have 2 dates on one day and try to pull myself through that. But somehow, these things drained me even more... It felt fake and painful. It is very dificult to change your inner voices on such a short notice. I don't recommend it to other people. Especially if you're not sure what to believe in in the first place. It will also cause alot of trouble in your personal life. If you believe in your newly affirmed ideas so strongly, outside threats to these inner believes will become very apearant and painful aswell.

You can't just go about pretending you're superman.

FT asked me if Tao is maybe not for me? Well, this is exactly where the Tao comes in. I've found that the Tao has one of the most profounds believe systems, one that you can relie upon no matter what. It is painful to change your inner truth all the time, but the Tao is unchanging. Till the day of today, it has given me great comfort, courage, joy, etc. So yeah, the Tao is surely for me.

About meditation and your well-being. I've noticed that daily excersize, fasting, eating more raw, etc. can all contribute to a better well-being. Daily routines aswell. But I'm not really good at meditation I would say. I'm just interested in how it keeps your brain healthy, reduces stress and allows for better awareness so that life seems more vivid. Also, I'm getting alot of lucid dreams when I meditate at night, so that can't be a bad sign.

Edited by Everything

My dad is a neuro-psychology of consciousness professor. One of his conferences this year included an analysis on the outcome of non-dual meditation practices.

He told me that the data does, indeed, support this thread's OP; meditation can make you dull! Respondents in the study complained that they were detached from life, disinterested in relationships, not all that happy, and often wished they could go back to their previous way of connecting.

Of course I don't think this suggests that all meditation is bad, but I think it's worthwhile considering the data, and how not to go down the same path.

Personally, most of my practices are movement practices, and very few have anything to do with discipline. They are joyful expressions, or at least yummy stretches. But even then, I still feel the need for adventurous and truly playful practices in my repertoire, because they, more than anything, bring out the shine.

Once you open your eyes

there aint no going back to closing your mind

Your chosen to shine

Unknowingly frozen in time

Even Xypher wished he could go back to the Matrix even though he knew that he'd be used and turned into a battery. I too have found that the world has little to offer in terms of fulfillment. Happiness is a choice and it comes from within. Once we realize that we don't chase relationships as 90% of people go into relationships thinking the other is going to 'make' them happy or that they can 'make' the other happy. Likewise we don't chase temporary 'stimulants' like drugs or sex or food, nor do we chase sedatives like drugs or sex or food (funny how that works, lol). Face it, society today is one based around stimulants and sedatives (often in one convenient package, lol). We chase cheap thrill because we're unfulfilled, and we make a social life around these quick fixes. So naturally a "happy" "healthy" person will feel like a dove in a flock of ravens O.o (such are jus my opinions/experiences)

-Astral

• Like 1

Once you open your eyes

there aint no going back to closing your mind

Your chosen to shine

Unknowingly frozen in time

Even Xypher wished he could go back to the Matrix even though he knew that he'd be used and turned into a battery. I too have found that the world has little to offer in terms of fulfillment. Happiness is a choice and it comes from within. Once we realize that we don't chase relationships as 90% of people go into relationships thinking the other is going to 'make' them happy or that they can 'make' the other happy. Likewise we don't chase temporary 'stimulants' like drugs or sex or food, nor do we chase sedatives like drugs or sex or food (funny how that works, lol). Face it, society today is one based around stimulants and sedatives (often in one convenient package, lol). We chase cheap thrill because we're unfulfilled, and we make a social life around these quick fixes. So naturally a "happy" "healthy" person will feel like a dove in a flock of ravens O.o (such are jus my opinions/experiences)

-Astral

Exactly Astral, it sounds like many people find themselves in Xypher's state of mind. Why did I do this? Everything was perfect in my state of ignorant bliss. . .

Love the rest of your post !! The average Joe on the street watches MTV and Entourage and thinks that's what he supposed to strive for. It ain't so, and a serious practice, be it yoga, sitting meditation or movement (tai ji, baguam, etc), will quickly point this out to you.

It would be interesting to know what kind of practices these people had, and for how long. And what their life was like before they began their practice. Though I sometimes feel I don't really belong here (Los Angeles for reference) that in no way impedes my practice or my pursuit of happiness or relationships.

You don't need to listen to the religious people that tell you that you should only enjoy the holy things. Enjoy the holy things AND the things of regular life. At least that's what I do. We all make our own choices.

Spiritual bypass is quite common among meditators... It is very easy to use meditation as an escape from life and negative emotions.... it's especially enticing for people who can really travel and go to fun and exciting places during meditations.

However.... this is a disembodied form of meditation... and the main problem with that is that you still have a physical body and all the emotional baggage with it... so you can either live emotionally numbed out, or in a constant state of subtle alertness, trying to avoid feeling any so called 'negative emotions'....

Also..... many people get confused by how to apply non-attachment and translate it to detachment... non-attachment is just not attaching to your emotions, beliefs, and other people. But it does not mean that you detach/seperate from your emotions/beliefs/people.. Without attachments, you actually feel and experience emotions much more fully and totally. Positive emotions become fuller, but also negative emotions become more intense too. So it's common for people to numb out or detach from their emotions to avoid the stronger feelings of so called 'negative emotions'...

And there is also the possibility of it just being a natural progression of meditation. As you become more conscious, things can change with how you process and perceive the world.. which can change your personality and way of being...

And.... as for boredom and dullness... there is probably some level of resistance underneath both of those feelings if you self inquire and dig a bit...

• Like 1

Since I began to do Qigong (SFQ) EVERYTHING in my life has improved. My relationships, my self-understanding, my intellect, sense of humor, patience and yes, even my economic situation.. The same year I began serious SFQ I wrote a hit album! And now I'm making another one that I know will be even better! And it's all so easy cos I don't take things so personally any more.

I hope you find a practice that can truly help you improve.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I've kinda been thinking about how meditation is effecting me and others. I'm not sure what its positive effects are, still. I just noticed a better concentration on my part and less emotional responses to things like stress or whatever.

This makes you tranquil, its a nice peaceful state of being. But it seems kinda dull of emotions. Boring almost in a way... Sure we can reach happiness better from there, but how? then you become happy and instantly become all emotionally sensitive again. I don't get how meditation will raise your geniun happiness.

First you joke and laugh with your friends, then you meditate, then you're silent.... Then what. lol. Its kinda boring to my friends when I've in peaceful mode.

You're only at beginning stages of meditation. You need to humble down, relax, realize what your goals are with meditation and give it more time. As Patangali said, you have to give your whole life to it in order for it to bare really amazing fruit, like any tree. You'll go through many, many, many stages of meditation. By the end of your life... hopefully sooner, depending on your dedication, you'll be like... "WOW!! How have I lived any lifetime without it's grace and power?"

p.s. If you're here only for entertainment purposes, even that, after a while, will gain much power through the energy of meditation. But, you'll have to go through various stages, like anyone in any college course.

Edited by Vajrahridaya
  • Like 1

Spiritual bypass is quite common among meditators... It is very easy to use meditation as an escape from life and negative emotions.... it's especially enticing for people who can really travel and go to fun and exciting places during meditations.

However.... this is a disembodied form of meditation... and the main problem with that is that you still have a physical body and all the emotional baggage with it... so you can either live emotionally numbed out, or in a constant state of subtle alertness, trying to avoid feeling any so called 'negative emotions'....

Also..... many people get confused by how to apply non-attachment and translate it to detachment... non-attachment is just not attaching to your emotions, beliefs, and other people. But it does not mean that you detach/seperate from your emotions/beliefs/people.. Without attachments, you actually feel and experience emotions much more fully and totally. Positive emotions become fuller, but also negative emotions become more intense too. So it's common for people to numb out or detach from their emotions to avoid the stronger feelings of so called 'negative emotions'...

And there is also the possibility of it just being a natural progression of meditation. As you become more conscious, things can change with how you process and perceive the world.. which can change your personality and way of being...

And.... as for boredom and dullness... there is probably some level of resistance underneath both of those feelings if you self inquire and dig a bit...

THis is key! I agree totally!

is that info published, or going to be? I would definitely be interested in purchasing a copy if so, or seeing the analysis of the data.