al.

Diagram of the Supreme Ultimate and Five Elements

09.jpg

Any ideas about the Five Elements here? The circle at the bottom?

The 5E are already represented but there is stuff missing in there:

Wuji

Si Xiang (four emblems...great yin, lesser yin; lesser yang and great yang).

The 5E are already represented but there is stuff missing in there:

Wuji

Si Xiang (four emblems...great yin, lesser yin; lesser yang and great yang).

Yep, no Bagua either, but i think this might be intentional (as the title suggests). It's a curious one. The atypical 5E chart is what gets me- what does this 6th circle represent? And why connected to both Fire and Water but in between Wood and Metal?

As a side-note, I was surprised to hear that the the famous TaiChi yin-yang symbol has only been around for about 700 years. And I'm not sure about this (I find it hard to believe) but the pre and post heavenly Bagua symbols (with the trigrams in the 8 cardinal directions) are said to have only been around for some 1000 years or so...

This diagram above and it's associated text was a forerunner to the rise of neo-confucianism, dated to around 1000-1050AD.

a

Yep, no Bagua either, but i think this might be intentional (as the title suggests). It's a curious one. The atypical 5E chart is what gets me- what does this 6th circle represent? And why connected to both Fire and Water but in between Wood and Metal?

As a side-note, I was surprised to hear that the the famous TaiChi yin-yang symbol has only been around for about 700 years. And I'm not sure about this (I find it hard to believe) but the pre and post heavenly Bagua symbols (with the trigrams in the 8 cardinal directions) are said to have only been around for some 1000 years or so...

This diagram above and it's associated text was a forerunner to the rise of neo-confucianism, dated to around 1000-1050AD.

a

the yin yang symbol is not actually the symbol for tai chi. as tai chi is the parent of yin & yang. it is however the symbol many people relate to tai chi. there is wuji

. symbol being like an empty circle, then the taji symbol has a spiral coming from the center and then the yin yang symbol. you can see how the tai chi is moving into the yin yang

post-52446-129563421466_thumb.gif

[...]

The atypical 5E chart is what gets me- what does this 6th circle represent? And why connected to both Fire and Water but in between Wood and Metal?

[...]

Hi al.

Thanks for posting this!

My guess is that the 6th circle represents the alchemical concept of the kidneys (water) being heated by the heart (fire), i.e. the mixing of the kan an li.

i'm always struck by how similar this is to the kabbalistic tree diagram.

sean

Anyone got the time to elaborate on the kabbalah thingy and the above diagram? I have read this somewhere else as well. Would like to hear some input. (Particularly because I can see a tree in me).