Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Gnostic gospels

So we were talking a little bit about gnosticism at Connection Camp and I remember hearing some quotes which sounded a lot like Taoist thought, like in the Gospel of Thomas, "The kingdom of heaven is within and without" and "Split wood, carry water, and I (God) am there." And then after seeing the DaVinci Code my curiousity was even more piqued, and I found this great website check it out!

So we were talking a little bit about gnosticism at Connection Camp and I remember hearing some quotes which sounded a lot like Taoist thought, like in the Gospel of Thomas, "The kingdom of heaven is within and without" and "Split wood, carry water, and I (God) am there." And then after seeing the DaVinci Code my curiousity was even more piqued, and I found this great website check it out!

Lozen,

Thank you for the links. I really like reading about the Gnostics, which is after all about Gnosis. There are even Lost Gospels found in China, there is a book called the Jesus Sutras that tell the story. THe founder of Manicheism, Mani teaches of primal light and dark powers, and I have seen two traditional references to him as Lao Tsu reincarnated. I will have to try and lay my hands on them. Also the Gnostic idea of the demiurge the false Creator is very liberating. Not to mention the honoring of the Feminine.

Bill

Lozen, it's funny, there was just a similar discussion on Applied_Taoism last week.

Via Applied_Taoism

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 4:20 pm (PDT)

Subject: Judas Gospels

What do you think about the Judas Gospels?

Was Jesus a Taoist?

Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 6:38 pm (PDT)

Subject: Re: Judas Gospels

Certainly, an argument can be put forth philosophically that he was grounded in Taoist tenets. As to his exposure to them, he was more likely exposed to Buddhist tenets (I know you may not like to hear that, Steve.) There are books written on this subject that place him in Buddhist monasteries as far east as Ladakh, where next to one to this day there is a pool called the "pool of Issu" (the Buddhist name for Jesus) where someone from the area of Palestine supposedly came and stayed and preached. Several scholars have tried to track this legend down within the local monastery which supposedly has records of the stay but the monks will not share their records....There are written records on stone in China blending sayings from the New Testament and the Tao, too....there's history, philosophy, oral legend, all leaving separate paths, much like the Tao.

Dennis Donham

Date: Sat Jun 3, 2006 3:11 pm (PDT)

Subject: Re: Judas Gospels

Dear Dennis:

Thank you for the information. You provided me with insight and information that I was unaware existed. I will investigate more.

In the Judas document, scene 3:

Jesus said, "Come that I may teach you about secrets no person has ever seen. For there exists a great boundless realm, whose extent no generation of angels has seen, in which there is a great invisible spirit, which no eye of an angel has ever seen, no thought of the heart has ever comprehended, and it has never called by any name

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think the above passage from the Judas document is similar to the Tao Te Ching #1.

In the Judas document, scene 3:

Jesus said, "Come that I may teach you about secrets no person has ever seen. For there exists a great boundless realm, whose extent no generation of angels has seen, in which there is a great invisible spirit, which no eye of an angel has ever seen, no thought of the heart has ever comprehended, and it has never called by any name

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think the above passage from the Judas document is similar to the Tao Te Ching #1.

I think it is also very similar to some statements that Nan Huaijin makes about certain milestones on the spiritual path, such as completeing the hundred days without thoughts of sex. He often says things like "I don't know anyone who has done this."

If you check out this website, they say that Jesus went to India... Hmmm!

Also I hung out with Krishnas yesterday, and they said Buddhism was a bastardized version of Hinduism. Something like, "If your mom made a strawberry short cake, and you stole her recipe and added walnuts and called it something completely different, that'd be a good analogy." :mellow:

Been reading these and have been totally blown away, I'll post some good quotes later, maybe tonight.

Also I hung out with Krishnas yesterday, and they said Buddhism was a bastardized version of Hinduism. Something like, "If your mom made a strawberry short cake, and you stole her recipe and added walnuts and called it something completely different, that'd be a good analogy." :mellow:

Religions arise in all cultures, times, places. For any one religion to claim origination of .. its just silly. Its like if different countries each described - in their own way - that basically "things fall down", and each of them then thinks that they own gravity. For all that's authentic about lineage and real knowledge that's available in the subtle cultural layers.. it still has to have built-in transcendence of itself, or its trapped. Especially the way things are changing now. Edited by Trunk

Sign in to follow this