Sign in to follow this  
freeform

Guitar Hero!

If any of you have a Play Station 2 - you have to get Guitar Hero - the best game I've played! (I hardly ever play computer games). You get a small plastic guitar-controller with a strum button and some fret buttons on the neck... you watch the screen and play along to your favourite rock tunes!

Hagar mentioned how driving a manual car can be a good way to cultivate your unconcious coordination - this game does the same thing - excellent for learning flow - bacuse with the more difficult tunes, as soon as you start thinking about what buttons to press you immediately start failing... so you have to be very concentrated at the same time as using your intuition and subconcious mind to thrash out sweet rock tunes! It helps you use both your left and right hmispheres in coordination - intuitive/creative girls seem to be very good at it!

I played around w/ Guitar Hero at Best Buy, it rocks, lots of fun. But I have a Nintendo Gamecube. The new Mario Dance game w/ dance pad is quite a bit of fun. So much I bought an extra pad.

Michael

Instead of videogame I use a Real electric guitar ; Real 100 Watt Amplifier and a real evil metal distortion pedal.

:P:P

My neighbours seem to be not much happy of that. <_<

They probably prefer the videogame ;)

Edited by Gigi

Instead of videogame I use a Real electric guitar ; Real 100 Watt Amplifier and a real evil metal distortion pedal.

:P:P

My neighbours seem to be not much happy of that. <_<

They probably prefer the videogame ;)

who needs a real guitar when you can be a rock god with fake one!? :lol:

I am joking! I'd really like to learn an instrument, but I want something unusual and cheap... havent looked into it much, but playing music is such a great way to develop your flow and focus.

I meant an emoticon face to show an opened 3rd eye and crown chakra :).

Oh, of course!!!

Here, look at this one with that in mind. It looks like it's opening!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Lozen

:lol:

I thought Michael's looked like a belly dancer with a grass skirt. Opened my humor chakra.

tsk tsk, you don't get that its a transvestite wearing a coconut bra?

M

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ... oh man... I've got tears rolling down my cheeks!

Karen - great videos!!!! have you got any more?! I've been loving seeing an instrument being played skillfully lately.

Edited by freeform

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ... oh man... I've got tears rolling down my cheeks!

Karen - great videos!!!! have you got any more?! I've been loving seeing an instrument being played skillfully lately.

Now I want to see someone playing an instrument skillfully in a coconut bra.

Only a very small amount of Michael Hedges video is available commercially. But for starters, do a search on www.youtube.com and on www.video.google.com for Michael Hedges. You will be blown away. "Skillful" does not cover it.

Sadly, Michael died in a car accident at age 42, in 1997.

I am a HUGE Michael Hedges.."fan" does not cover it :), and play a bunch of his songs on my humble Taylor 110. A challenge, but a truly exciting one.

Oh, this will crack you up. In one concert, he wore his "Taoboy hat" :). The song "Jitterboogie" on YouTube.

Also you gotta see another guy playing slide guitar using a teaspoon.. search on YouTube for "teaspoon slide guitar."

What kind of music do you usually like?

Edited by karen

Now I want to see someone playing an instrument skillfully in a coconut bra.

Only a very small amount of Michael Hedges video is available commercially. But for starters, do a search on www.youtube.com and on www.video.google.com for Michael Hedges. You will be blown away. "Skillful" does not cover it.

Sadly, Michael died in a car accident at age 42, in 1997.

I am a HUGE Michael Hedges.."fan" does not cover it :), and play a bunch of his songs on my humble Taylor 110. A challenge, but a truly exciting one.

Oh, this will crack you up. In one concert, he wore his "Taoboy hat" :). The song "Jitterboogie" on YouTube.

Also you gotta see another guy playing slide guitar using a teaspoon.. search on YouTube for "teaspoon slide guitar."

What kind of music do you usually like?

cool!! I just watched the teaspoon slide guy, and the jitterboogie video... wow! it's like he's got a whole band playing along with him!

I must admit I've only recently gotten into guitar-music... I'm more accustomed to electronic music (Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, Kraftwerk etc), cut and paste style music (Cold Cut, Hextatic, Boards of Canada and many other Ninja Tune label artists), jazz (Art Blakey, Herbie Hancock etc) a bit of funk (like James Brown and all the latin-style boogaloo artists) and many others... but guitar music (rock, acoustic) are pretty new to me... I do love music, so it's always great find new stuff I'm not used to.

make sure to check out

if you like skillfull rhythmic drumming.

I do love music, so it's always great find new stuff I'm not used to.

Same here. Genre doesn't matter much to me.. the best musicians seem to tap something universal and genre becomes secondary. The street drummer was awesome.. wonder what you call that instrument!

One of the reasons I love Hedges is because he used alternate tunings (very weird ones), tapping and slapping, both hands playing the fretboard, all kinds of weird tricks only because they arose organically from the composition, never for the sake of technical virtuosity. People have tried to imitate him, and they don't get it because it's not about style at all.

Glad you mentioned electronic music.. I was into it in the '80's, but that was a while ago :blink: so I'll look up the people you mentioned. I use a digital piano and synth but mainly just fooling around these days.

Karen

One of the reasons I love Hedges is because he used alternate tunings (very weird ones), tapping and slapping, both hands playing the fretboard, all kinds of weird tricks only because they arose organically from the composition, never for the sake of technical virtuosity. People have tried to imitate him, and they don't get it because it's not about style at all.

Yeah - that's why I like Aphex Twin... he would make his own electronic instruments out of bits of electronics... people try immitating it, but the direction of their intent is different - so the result is less 'beautiful' (in the broadest sense of the word - because a lot of Aphex's songs arent exactly 'aesthetic')

here are some links to videos of Aphex on youtube... you gotta watch the videos with the songs because they're almost always incredible (made by Chris Cunningham, who's a genius in his own right)

1 Aparatus

2 Monkey Drummer

4 Flex

and the following video is really quite disturbing (but pretty amazing), so youtube asks you to log in to view it... if you dont have an account with them then use this: username: mierda123456789 and password: mierda (login details found on www.bugmenot.com which is a really usefull site!)

5 Rubber Johnny if you dont want to be disturbed - dont go there!! lol :lol:

Edited by freeform

Thanks for those links.. amazing videos. Nannou was done by a different director, though? Beautiful. And thanks for the tip on bugmenot! I didn't yet look at the "disturbing" one. Too early in the day!

I think you have the best name for a new band.. Global Warming Shampoo :lol:

Edited by karen

The street drummer was awesome.. wonder what you call that instrument!

A bucket?

Kelly Joe, YES!

:D Yeah, if I have a guitar hero, he's the one. The youtube vids of him don't do justice.

I rented Gillian Welch in concert on dvd from Netflix, and it deepened my appreciation for David Rawlings' guitar-work. I think he's Gillian's beau, and he plays lead guitar to her rhythm (and voice). Ah!, here's a youtube link to a piece from that dvd. Here's another one. (Hey!, I didn't realize till just now that I could watch youtube vids full-screen!)

Sign in to follow this