mewtwo

i come back with aprehention, do forms really matter?

So yeah i come back here after a day or so break. I come back with aprehention cause well i was called disgustingly fat in the teaching qigong thread. I kindly ask for an appoligy. But enough of that. this kind of stems from that thread.

Do forms really matter? The way i see it you could be doing xingyiquan or baguazhang or taichiquan and the external forms does not matter but what does is the internal energy you are doing. If i am wrong would someone please kindly explain why so?

The most simple explanation is that the physical form, the external movements, affect the movement of internal energy. Facing the palms down during arm movements might affect the yang channels of the arms, while facing them up might stimulate the yin channels. As the arms spread or rise they might open the chest or underarms affecting the heart meridian. In yang style tai chi you keep the fingers straight with the thumb extended, while in Chen the thumb is not extended. These differences affect energy in the palm (pericardium 8). Even where the eyes are focused will affect your energy.

That's just a few examples but I hope you get the idea.

yea, your posture affects the flow of chi and alignment of your bones. I went to a class today and had some foundational mistakes corrected from being self taught and I could feel the chi flow freeing up as the teachers commented on my form and i adjusted it.

and he was doing this stuff out of the corner of his eye while doing his own form.

oh ok but could one like say meditate while doing taichi and say shift the energy around?

Sure, with enough practice you could push qi where ever you want through the body. But why not learn about the proper alignment and exercises that allow qi to flow naturally ? Some would say you have to learn that first before you can manipulate qi.

So yeah i come back here after a day or so break. I come back with aprehention cause well i was called disgustingly fat in the teaching qigong thread. I kindly ask for an appoligy. But enough of that. this kind of stems from that thread.

Do forms really matter? The way i see it you could be doing xingyiquan or baguazhang or taichiquan and the external forms does not matter but what does is the internal energy you are doing. If i am wrong would someone please kindly explain why so?

you were told in your previous threads that form is extremely important. you were given a tremendous amount of good advice. i wonder how much of it really sank in? perhaps go back to that thread re-read it. ponder upon it, meditate about it.(do you meditate?) and here you are looking for an apology? i think you should be thanking everyone for their generous amount of useful guidence, hints, and advice. in this thread you almost say that with your taiji you have grand circulation ability , but in the last thread your taiji is very rusty.

i think you should go back to the other thread. study it.

i do think you can feel your energy moving thru your body. you have work to do with grounding, raising your vibrational level. understanding how movement does matter. you need to refine your qi. i really dont know what else to tell you . i am not an expert about anything. but there were experts who did answer your last thread.

if you have respect for qigong you might take that under consideration. working on the foundation takes patience. xingyi, baguazhang, taiji forms do matter. IF you have all your chakras spinning already, can pull out energy from zero point, if you can emit wave energy and or spiral energy out and hit your target, then i would say hey dude , maybe the form isnt so important for you.

Starjumper was pretty harsh with you. You are not the first.

The good thing is that he got your attention. It seems that you weren't really listening to what you were being told. So, I will be a little more direct than I was before so hopefully you will listen, but I will be kinder than SJ.

Yes, form matters a great deal. It is impossible for anyone to have enough knowledge to create a good form without at least having begun to learn about how ONE form creates chi. If you don't understand the basics of one form, does it make sense that you can create a new one? and you do not even understand the basics of any qigong which is proper posture, movement and breath. It's OK, Qigong takes years just to learn the basics...

You really, really, need to learn from a live teacher. Books and videos cannot give feedback if you make mistakes and EVERYONE including masters make huge mistakes when they are learning.

The way i see it you could be doing xingyiquan or baguazhang or taichiquan and the external forms does not matter but what does is the internal energy you are doing.

You are very mistaken here! Xingyi, bagua and Tai Chi are VERY different forms that produce very different types of energy for very different purposes. Each form creates chi that functions very differently internally. You think that all chi is the same. That is because you have very little experience and very little understanding of these arts. And, incidentally they are martial arts forms. Until you learn them, practice them and can APPLY them as martial arts FOR YEARS you will not know the different types of chi they produce.

To keep it simple. Qigong is much more than just being able to feel chi. Instead of asking people on an internet forum these questions, you should seek out a qualified teacher who can tell you and SHOW you.

You may yet be destined to teach but not after years of learning under a real teacher...

• Like 1

hey mew,

since i was one of those critics before, i felt compelled to at least get back to you and give you my opinion. i do not have vast amounts of experience, as you know. but i feel that from what little i do know, i think the answer to you question could be yes, or no. as everyone has said, the forms are designed to do specific things, so in that sense, yes, it would matter. but if are asking if it matters if you do a certain form or not, i would say no. there are a million "forms"...it doesn't really matter what form you do, as long as you are doing it with the correct mind intent, and you are disciplined in your practice. i could have missed the point, and if so, then i apologize....

you should start one of those personal practice rooms...does anyone know how to do that? can anyone just start one?? just a thought...

take it easy

I come back with aprehention cause well i was called disgustingly fat in the teaching qigong thread. I kindly ask for an appoligy.

OK, I apologize for calling you disgustingly fat, it sounds so much like name calling, doesn't it? Being obese and full of toxic fat is not disgusting to 90% of Americans because if it was they would need to think of themselves as disgusting, and that is something they can not admit, so yes, you are a fine example of young American manhood.

Now, for me, on the other hand, since I have done so much purifying and am sort of empathic then when someone who is obese stands within a few feet of me I can feel their energy and it makes me nauseous. That is why I avoid public place and avoid flying on airplanes. Being surrounded by porkers on one flight made me have to leave my seat and go sit in the aisle by in the kitchen with the nice healthy stewardesses. If I go again it will only be first class, you know, people who take better care of themselves in general, have some pride in themselves, that kind of thing. So, no, you aren't disgusting at all to others, just to me, it's just my opinion, and I am in the 0.01% minority. It's just that the majority of Americans look, talk, feel, and think in a disgustingly nauseating manner to me and to all other people who have done good cultivation and are sensitive to such things. That is all, carry on now, have a nice life though it may be short.

Did you know that degenerative diseases are normally the most painful and extended, how soon do you think you will get diabetes, or do you already have it?

And I really do think you should start teaching what you know of qigong as it will be a good learning experience for you.

Edited by Starjumper7
  • Like 1

well where i got this idea was that there are a million different forms of taichi or qigong. and they all claim to do the same thing circulate chi. so yeah that is where i got my idea from. But apparently they ciculate different types of chi and such. so my theory must be wronbg.

well where i got this idea was that there are a million different forms of taichi or qigong. and they all claim to do the same thing circulate chi. so yeah that is where i got my idea from. But apparently they ciculate different types of chi and such. so my theory must be wronbg.

No, your theory is correct, they do circulae chi. Go for it, circulate your chi, teach others to circulate their chi too.

No, your theory is correct, they do circulae chi. Go for it, circulate your chi, teach others to circulate their chi too.

I sence sarcasm.

I sence sarcasm.

When I though of saying that two days ago it was sarcasm, but now I'm serious, you might learn something that way, if you can get any students. Bye now, forever.

In case you wonder why I don't respond to any more of your posts it's because you are on ignore.

Edited by New Dawn Fades

Where is the frigging ignore button?

heh. Actually, I cant see it right now. Maybe I dont have one anymore though.

BTW it is just a tad bizarre to tell someone you are ignoring them in their own thread.:wacko:

I really liked the posts about the importance of form.

Having practiced mainly a few "form-led" things with some spontaneous stuff with the intent on healing myself I can now begin to understand why it might be a good idea for me to start doing forms as well.

Not "or".

I feel I've barely scratched the surface of any of my practices. :)

heh. Actually, I cant see it right now. Maybe I dont have one anymore though.

BTW it is just a tad bizarre to tell someone you are ignoring them in their own thread.:wacko:

Well, I am bizarre, Jack Nicholson, in the movie As Good as it Gets, made me feel proud to be a weirdo! :) Did you see that movie? ... but the reason I mention ignore is so he wouldn't waste any more hot air in my direction. That is ethical, isn't it?

I think they might have removed the ignore button? If so I can ignore pretty well.

dupicate. Maybe the reason I can't find the ignore button is because I can't tell the difference between the edit and reply buttons sometimes :ph34r:

Edited by Starjumper7

I really liked the posts about the importance of form.

Having practiced mainly a few "form-led" things with some spontaneous stuff with the intent on healing myself I can now begin to understand why it might be a good idea for me to start doing forms as well.

Not "or".

I feel I've barely scratched the surface of any of my practices. :)

One must first study the forms before they can arrive at the formless, which is also a fundamental principle of Taoism. I didn't make that up, it's from the tai chi classics in the Taoist Cannon.

• Like 1

Well, I am bizarre, Jack Nicholson, in the movie As Good as it Gets, made me feel proud to be a weirdo! :) Did you see that movie? ... but the reason I mention ignore is so he wouldn't waste any more hot air in my direction. That is ethical, isn't it?

I think they might have removed the ignore button? If so I can ignore pretty well.

I get it, you are being altruistic by ignoring mewtwo : saving him the trouble of ignoring you. Excellent.

Yes I did see that film, Jack is irresistible. Proud to be a weirdo could be a good pin ( badge for english speakers)

for a lot of us here.

I think the ignore button must still be there. I'd have to log out to see it I expect. I'm too weird to log out.