Sign in to follow this  
mYTHmAKER

Interesting Book

Yeah, that looks cool. Have you read it? From the table of contents on amazon Tim Cartmell and Bruce Frantzis are both interviewed as well as Fong Ha, a teacher right down the street from me I've been debating studying with. ... (flipping through book on amazon reader more) ... yeah this does look great, I may pick this one up, thanks.

Sean

Yeah, that looks cool. Have you read it? From the table of contents on amazon Tim Cartmell and Bruce Frantzis are both interviewed as well as Fong Ha, a teacher right down the street from me I've been debating studying with. ... (flipping through book on amazon reader more) ... yeah this does look great, I may pick this one up, thanks.

Sean

I'm half way through.

If you can study with Fong Ha jump at the chance.

He will teach you to stand.

And he's right down the street!

Are you waiting for him to move in with you :lol:

I stand an hour a day in wu wei. I was taught by one of my teachers who lives in China.

I did some standing before on my own from Kam Chuens book The Way of Energy.

Best to have a teacher to show you the subtleties.

One may think they are in alignment when in actuality they are not

Standing will really root you and heal your body

A great practice.

Even if you decide not to study with Fong Ha

check out his school and push hands so you can see for yourself that it's real

and not hypnosis.

He has a few videos on the web site you posted.

See how effortlessy he moves the student

Hey man, thanks for the push. :) I've known Fong Ha was in my neighborhood for like 4 years now but you've convinced me to go train with him and I'm heading over there this Saturday.

1 hour of standing a day is impressive! :o

Sean

Hey man, thanks for the push. :) I've known Fong Ha was in my neighborhood for like 4 years now but you've convinced me to go train with him and I'm heading over there this Saturday.

1 hour of standing a day is impressive! :o

Sean

Let us know how and if you like the training

Let us know how and if you like the training

I trained with Fong Ha on Saturday and signed up for a month of class. Fong is really cool. Really sharp and quick, but not frenetic in the least bit. Super grounded. He started class with various sitting and standing in stillness postures, then moves to joint warm ups, 8 brocade style, a walking form and then a 108 piece Tai Chi form that will take me a zillion years to learn half of. :mellow:

This morning I showed up for the early morning class. I was surprised to see Fong alone, sitting at a bench in the park with a hooded sweatshirt on, hood over his head, deep in meditation. I stood in front of him for a minute before he opened his eyes. I expected him to be startled or disoriented from moving from deep meditation to having to face and communicate with another person. He was not startled in the least, nor put off by the lack of attendance, he immediatly stood and started teaching me with his full attention. It was funny, at one point he asked me my last name and I said "Omlor", and he says "Omlor. Omlor. Om. Om. Aum-lor. Aum. Very nice. You have sacred sound in your name. This is good. Good name." :D

After class, it was still just him and I so we went for tea. His publisher coincidentally showed up which was great because I got to sit in on a conversation they had about the approach he wants to take for his next book. They started talking about other Qigong teachers, and about their various approaches to writing Qigong materials. Fong brought up Ken Cohen and they agreed he is doing great work, and they also had a good laugh reminiscing about how Ken used to come to Fong's class all dressed up in like these crazy Chinese outfits. Fong was laughing, he said he's never seen someone dress so Chinese even in Taoist monasteries in China. I brought up BK Frantzis, and Fong spoke highly of him and said that BK has taken classes with him and that he sees him in Hawaii when he goes there to teach ... apparently Kumar is always trying to get Fong to drink whiskey with him. Then I got brave and mentioned Mantak Chia. I said, "Fong, you could go Mantak Chia style and just create a whole empire!". Fong got kind of serious and told me that Mantak Chia is nothing but an herbalist that didn't write any of his books. Hahah... :lol:

Sean

Damn Sean! atleast we know you don't hide your new teachers opnions from the rest of taobums :P

Maybe we can check out a class when I visit? Damn, so little time so many cool teachers in your hood.

Cam

Damn Sean! atleast we know you don't hide your new teachers opnions from the rest of taobums :P

Maybe we can check out a class when I visit? Damn, so little time so many cool teachers in your hood.

Oops, you think it's inappropriate? :unsure: I just thought it was a funny story. Fong is so gentle hearted, he was not being mean spirited, I think probably just poking fun. It's not a big secret that many IMA teachers don't take Chia very seriously is it?

I was trying to plan us to go hang with Fong while you are here, that's why I asked you the other day when your flight times are. He doesn't do class on Fridays is the thing, so we'd have to see if Saturday or Sunday morning class conflicted with Adyashanti or if your flight leaves late enough on Monday we can catch Monday morning class.

Sean

Oops, you think it's inappropriate? :unsure: I just thought it was a funny story. Fong is so gentle hearted, he was not being mean spirited, I think probably just poking fun. It's not a big secret that many IMA teachers don't take Chia very seriously is it?

I was trying to plan us to go hang with Fong while you are here, that's why I asked you the other day when your flight times are. He doesn't do class on Fridays is the thing, so we'd have to see if Saturday or Sunday morning class conflicted with Adyashanti or if your flight leaves late enough on Monday we can catch Monday morning class.

Sean

From my limited experience with IMA teachers..no..and they do seem to have a sense of humor along with the dissing :lol:

Sunday might work. I think the Adya course starts at 1. If we could check my aikido guy out thursday night that would be cool. Too bad Fong doesn't do friday class.

Cam

Edited by Cameron

Sean good for you.

Great post

Sounds like you made a real connection.

Don't be concerned with how long it takes to learn a form.

As I'm sure you know it's the process - the path that's important.

sean that's a nice story. vivid and clear. I enjoyed it and felt I was there that early morning with you.

Not innapropriate.

he sounds like a good person to be around. everyone loves Ken Cohen, I think.

About the Mantak Chia opinion thing. What is it about him that makes so many other people diss him? Do you have clear idea on this?

Fong brought up Ken Cohen and they agreed he is doing great work, and they also had a good laugh reminiscing about how Ken used to come to Fong's class all dressed up in like these crazy Chinese outfits. Fong was laughing, he said he's never seen someone dress so Chinese even in Taoist monasteries in China. I

Sean

Ken's outfits rock! Since were on the topic does anyone know where to buy some good tai chi/qigong shoes? Dragondoor used to sell these really good ones from Europe calles arcepidicos but no more.

Fong got kind of serious and told me that Mantak Chia is nothing but an herbalist that didn't write any of his books.

I was telling this for years. But I'm greatful Chia published those books- they pushed a lot of us on the path.

then a 108 piece Tai Chi form that will take me a zillion years to learn half of.

I'm doing it now with the Yang 108 piece slow form. It's so much fun... doesn't matter if it's 1 move or 108- the energy is so powerful.

Ken's outfits rock! Since were on the topic does anyone know where to buy some good tai chi/qigong shoes? Dragondoor used to sell these really good ones from Europe calles arcepidicos but no more.

http://www.naturescountrystore.com/xcart/p...d=16247&cat=290

http://www.supportplus.com/product_detail.cfm?STYLE=AD104

http://www.arcopedicoshoes.com/classic/index.html

that Mantak Chia is nothing but an herbalist that didn't write any of his books. Hahah... :lol:

I disagree! Chia is not an herbalist! :D

I was telling this for years. But I'm greatful Chia published those books- they pushed a lot of us on the path.

I'm doing it now with the Yang 108 piece slow form. It's so much fun... doesn't matter if it's 1 move or 108- the energy is so powerful.

Smile, not sure you realize it, but the form you are doing and the one Sean is learning have the same roots (Yang sau chung)...also, Sean, Fong Ha learned from Tung Ying-Chieh, who I'm pretty sure BP Chan mentioned as one of this teachers(he was very secretive and it slipped out in conversation)..so there's a link to Ken..

T

Smile, not sure you realize it, but the form you are doing and the one Sean is learning have the same roots (Yang sau chung)...

May be so. I started with high stance but the teacher tells they used to train very low stances. They had a table and used to practice the form under it- that's how low they did it. but he says he can't teach it here because no one would ever be able to do it.

Also, the body weight 100% is either on the front or the back leg. The upper body leans forward a bit. As far as I know this is not a normal way to do it for the Yang form.

mYTHmAKER, thanks again for your encouragement to see Fong. He is a cool teacher and I wouldn't have found the motivation without it.

Cam, if Adya class doesn't start until 1 we can totally make the 9:30am Sunday class with Fong.

About the Mantak Chia opinion thing. What is it about him that makes so many other people diss him? Do you have clear idea on this?
Your question made me ponder this. I'm not really sure. What do you think?

Smile, I am also grateful for Chia's books. I never got hurt from them (never pushed them hard enough probably) and they helped shape my path a great deal. That is so cool we are taking a similar form of Taichi.

thaddeus, thanks for the lineage details. :)

Sean

Cam, if Adya class doesn't start until 1 we can totally make the 9:30am Sunday class with Fong.

Sean

Cool! And now that Smile gave me the link I will have my awesome new arcepadicos to wear the whole trip. Those shoes are the bomb!

Camster

Cool! And now that Smile gave me the link I will have my awesome new arcepadicos to wear the whole trip. Those shoes are the bomb!

Did you pick up the Classic Sidneys? I can drop you and Lezlie off to get a nice pedicure to show off your pretty toes in them. :lol:

classic_sidney.jpg

Did you pick up the Classic Sidneys? I can drop you and Lezlie off to get a nice pedicure to show off your pretty toes in them. :lol:

classic_sidney.jpg

No the hardcore black ones called SEC so I can trot around SF and NYC looking like Jet Li!

Edited by Cameron

Jess is a friend of mine. Bernie (from the book?) is my classmate. And of course Kumar was my teacher and

Luo Dexiu still is.

Jess is a friend of mine. Bernie (from the book?) is my classmate. And of course Kumar was my teacher and

Luo Dexiu still is.

How is training with Luo Dexiu? I missed a workshop opportunity with him..

How is training with Luo Dexiu? I missed a workshop opportunity with him..

He's the best. He's coming back to the states this summer

Sign in to follow this