Sunya

meditation for geeks

Hehe, very funny cartoon.

Deleting history is ment to be present-mindedness.

What does the cache represent?

+how is it posible to get empty mind. I don't understand that concept.

Edited by Everything

ive been around some nerds playing fable 3 for a week straight and one of them even slipped into a polyphasic sleeping state. Thinking of nothing but the heroes journey for very long periods of time qualifies as meditation right?

fable-3-wings-screenshot-small.jpg

Hehe, very funny cartoon.

Deleting history is ment to be present-mindedness.

What does the cache represent?

Clearing the cache might be analogous to emptying one's cup, I think.

The only kind of meditating I've ever done was to focus on the tiny little vortex whirlpool in the middle of your meditation screen. No thoughts, just watch the vortex, trying to stifle all other thoughts. I did this for years and years. Then, one day, I realized that I was no longer looking at the vortex, and that my mind was resting void in the middle of the screen, almost a sense that it was eminating out. When it rests in the void, there are no thoughts. It's almost like there's an invisible Y on the meditation screen and the ball of consciousness rests at the junction. Time doesn't pass there.

The point being, that this was a meditation that I did constantly day after day for many years. It almost seems in retrospect like it was a violent type of meditation, where there is finally a blasting through the rock to the inner awareness after a lot of repetition. I sense that this type of meditation is very good for focus too.

There must be thousands of methods - I started back in the 60's and this stuff wasn't so easy to find back then, plus no internet. But I do think the key is repetition. If we keep changing up our meditative style, I'm thinking our inner silence will develop ADD. My thought is to stick with a particular method, or at least a small meditation that you do for this particular purpose on a daily basis. I think it's almost like developing a meditation muscle.

That's just my experience. I'll bet there are others here who could really kick butt on this subject of attaining the no-thought place.

Here a simple way to empty the cache. Dr. Morris talks about it his first book Path Notes: the Bad Ass Brain Scrub. Leads to the state of Mushin

Also called No Mindness.

You can read about it here. Simple but can you do it?

Scrub

He discusses it over several pages.

s

• Like 1

Easier to just drop your awareness down into your lower dantians than to try to clear your mind...

Because as long as you're in there trying to clear it, you're still occupying it. Mentally focusing on emptiness is still a mental activity using your conscious mind.

There's a difference between Elvis clearing out a building...and Elvis leaving a building. Uh-huh-huh.. :D

Edited by vortex

Easier to just drop your awareness down into your lower dantians than to try to clear your mind...

Because as long as you're in there trying to clear it, you're still occupying it. Mentally focusing on emptiness is still a mental activity using your conscious mind.

There's a difference between Elvis clearing out a building...and Elvis leaving a building. Uh-huh-huh.. :D

I agree. Using the mind to train the mind is like telling a little kid to guard the cookie jar. But people are attached to using their minds so it's a start.

s