9th

Words from some Old Coyotes

"The basic difference between a warrior and an ordinary man is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge...."

Because the warrior (or the Sage) does not live in judgment of things, they see things as they are. Things are neither a blessing or a curse. The warrior does get to a point where emotions are not felt in the traditional way, almost a transcendence of emotion altogether. He merely sees what needs be done and does it.

The I in man can be compared to a flame; the flame within us all, a part of the sun. The flame changes in form and appearance constantly, consumes oxygen constantly. But it is all the same flame from the same fire. Yes, man's name is Legion.

Knowledge depends on being. As I am, so I see. If I have the eyes of an enlightened one, I will see enlightenment. If I have the eyes of a beggar, I will see poverty. I will always see exactly what I want to see, that's the secret. To observe what a person has manifested in their life is a direct view into their heart of hearts.

Thanks for posting those, 9th -

• Like 1

Man's name is not "legion"; that is one of the names used for beings that serve the abyss, although some "men" may join up with those forces.

Edited by 3bob

... as for Mr. G's ramblings about "I", careful, those are often mis-interpreted in a negative way. Not unlike how aspects of Buddhism can sometimes be mis-interpreted in a negative way. (btw. in later years Mr. G. backed off of many of his absolute type statements found in various earlier accounts)

- for there has to be a will woven (or I) to surrender to a greater will (or I)

Om

Edited by 3bob

Man's name is not "legion"; that is one of the names used for beings that serve the abyss, although some "men" may join up with those forces.

Maybe the legion in the bible is actually a metaphor for mans internal state, the "evil" legion serves is the power of identification which keeps man in the dark about who he is, Jesus brings light to the mans consciousness which unifies his "I's" and fuses his consciousness

The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse."

I like

Edited by Starjumper7

Maybe the legion in the bible is actually a metaphor for mans internal state, the "evil" legion serves is the power of identification which keeps man in the dark about who he is, Jesus brings light to the mans consciousness which unifies his "I's" and fuses his consciousness

ok, there are conditions where the term legion could be used as such, but my point was that the term man is not defined with, by, or limited to such a generalization or stereo-type.

Om

Actually, that part Mark reads along the lines of "My name is Legion: for we are many" -- "legion" here (strictly speaking, the Greek λεγεών) is a Roman reference (think of a Roman legion as being roughly comparable to a modern regiment). It was not a metaphor but a literal description of a man possessed by a multitude of demons, all of which were then cast out into a herd of pigs. The herd of about 2000 pigs then ran into the ocean and drowned.

You have to be aware of the uselessness of your self-importance and of your personal history.

Your death can give you a little warning, it always comes as a chill. Death is our eternal companion,

it is always to our left, at an arm's length. How can anyone feel so important when we know that death is stalking us?

The thing to do when you're impatient is to turn to your left and ask advice from your death.

An immense amount of pettiness is dropped if your death makes a gesture to you, or if you catch a glimpse of it,

or if you just have the feeling that your companion is there watching you.

The issue of our death is never pressed far enough. Death is the only wise adviser that we have.

Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated,

turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you that you're wrong;

that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your death will tell you, "I haven't touched you yet."

Think of your death now. It is at arm's length. It may tap you any moment,

so really you have no time for crappy thoughts and moods. None of us have time for that.

The only thing that counts is action, acting instead of talking.

- Castaneda

Every one of those unfortunates during the process of existence

should constantly sense and be cognizant of the inevitability of his own death

as well as of the death of everyone upon whom his eyes or attention rests.

Only such a sensation and such a cognizance can now destroy

the egoism completely crystallized in them that has swallowed up

the whole of their Essence,

and also that tendency to hate others which flows from it.

- Gurdjieff

You have to be aware of the uselessness of your self-importance and of your personal history.

Your death can give you a little warning, it always comes as a chill. Death is our eternal companion,

it is always to our left, at an arm's length. How can anyone feel so important when we know that death is stalking us?

The thing to do when you're impatient is to turn to your left and ask advice from your death.

An immense amount of pettiness is dropped if your death makes a gesture to you, or if you catch a glimpse of it,

The issue of our death is never pressed far enough. Death is the only wise adviser that we have.

Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated,

turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you that you're wrong;

that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your death will tell you, "I haven't touched you yet."

so really you have no time for crappy thoughts and moods. None of us have time for that.

- Castaneda

- Gurdjieff

Death dies, that is the greater secret in plain sight. Further, there is no wisdom in making some kind of grandiose sounding show around such.

Om

He is talking about identity, what people identify as I changes all the time dependng on mood and impressions they receive, so the perception of you being one unified person is an illusion, there are thousands of false I's people identify with therefore man is legion or schizophrenic. But buried beneath all the false I's of personality is a mans essence which is his unconditioned natural self which he calls essence, which is something I don't hear talked about much on this site.

Oh if thats what he means I do agree. Although I wouldn't quite term it as legion or schizophrenic.

- Castaneda

- Gurdjieff

What is death except death of the illusory "I". Unless one clings to the "I" only then will one constantly keep the inevitable in mind. Living in the moment is far more useful. Our yesterdays are gone and tomorrows not yet here.

What is death except death of the illusory "I". Unless one clings to the "I" only then will one constantly keep the inevitable in mind. Living in the moment is far more useful. Our yesterdays are gone and tomorrows not yet here.

I heard this from Taoist mentor who I believe was an immortal: An immortal is someone who is so excited about life that it never occurs to him to think of death. So I think maybe you are one already.

However, since most people do think about death in an attachment sort of way, what 9th is saying is that those people should think about it in a constructive manner.

I guess

or something

Edited by Starjumper7

Love Castaneda's work and have read all his important work. But he has resorted quite a lot to Eastern spiritual beliefs in his writings...but wait...isn't spirituality deep down the same regardless of colour? ;)

This is my fave thing of Castaneda's work:

For a sorcerer, reality, or the world we all know, is only a description that has been pounded into you from the moment you were born.

The reality of our day-to-day life, then, consists of an endless flow of perceptual interpretations which we have learned to make in common. (One of the core ideas of Buddhist and Daoist thought)

What are the enemies of the man of knowledge? Fear, clarity, power and old age. Spot on!

Love Castaneda's work and have read all his important work. But he has resorted quite a lot to Eastern spiritual beliefs in his writings...but wait...isn't spirituality deep down the same regardless of colour? ;)

I absolutely agree. I have straddled Castaneda and the Tao for many years and as far as I'm concerned it's a seamless fit.

- Castaneda

I really like the Castaneda quotes you offered, 9th. Death on the left, an arm's length away. Do we have the ability to feel, where death is; do we have the ability to feel, that exceeds knowing?

I heard this from Taoist mentor who I believe was an immortal: An immortal is someone who is so excited about life that it never occurs to him to think of death. So I think maybe you are one already.

However, since most people do think about death in an attachment sort of way, what 9th is saying is that those people should think about it in a constructive manner.

I guess

or something

Oh!

I guess

or something

That's a very interesting interpretation. Thanks!

I heard this from Taoist mentor who I believe was an immortal: An immortal is someone who is so excited about life that it never occurs to him to think of death.

Ok, I find myself wanting to jump on the table and shout BALDERDASH. (Whilst dressed as a cowgirl, probably)

what kind of taoist mentor would ever say such a thing??!?!!?!?!

Death is part of life. You cant know life at all without knowing death.

Living in a state of excitement and not thinking of death.. who does that apart from a sensation seeking puer aeternus?

Children begin asking about death and pondering it at a very early age. It's fascinating and beautiful, like everything else.

• Like 1

I guess this is an appropriate thread to discuss immortals, since my mentor and myself are old farts.

Ok, I find myself wanting to jump on the table and shout BALDERDASH. (Whilst dressed as a cowgirl, probably)

what kind of taoist mentor would ever say such a thing??!?!!?!?!

Death is part of life. You cant know life at all without knowing death.

Living in a state of excitement and not thinking of death.. who does that apart from a sensation seeking puer aeternus?

Children begin asking about death and pondering it at a very early age. It's fascinating and beautiful, like everything else.

OK Cowgirl, did you take the time to look at all the facets of this to see how it might work? =) I'll try to restate it in a way that you might like.

Speaking for immortals =) they are well aware of death of course, but it doesn't bother them the way it does the fearful, Although they are aware of physical death it doesn't scare them. They are like children in that way, being excited about life, not worrying about death.

I had to look up puer aeternus. It applies only if you change the word remained to returned.

Puer aeternus is Latin for eternal boy, used in mythology to designate a child-god who is forever young; psychologically it refers to an older man whose emotional life has remained at an adolescent level, usually coupled with too great a dependence on the mother. The puer typically leads a provisional life, due to the fear of being caught in a situation from which it might not be possible to escape. He covets independence and freedom, chafes at boundaries and limits, and tends to find any restriction intolerable.[1]

I guess this is an appropriate thread to discuss immortals, since my mentor and myself are old farts.

OK Cowgirl, did you take the time to look at all the facets of this to see how it might work? =) I'll try to restate it in a way that you might like.

Speaking for immortals =) they are well aware of death of course, but it doesn't bother them the way it does the fearful, Although they are aware of physical death it doesn't scare them. They are like children in that way, being excited about life, not worrying about death.

I had to look up puer aeternus. It applies only if you change the word remained to returned.

Puer aeternus is Latin for eternal boy, used in mythology to designate a child-god who is forever young; psychologically it refers to an older man whose emotional life has remained at an adolescent level, usually coupled with too great a dependence on the mother. The puer typically leads a provisional life, due to the fear of being caught in a situation from which it might not be possible to escape. He covets independence and freedom, chafes at boundaries and limits, and tends to find any restriction intolerable.[1]

You dont return to a state of arrested development.

A need or wish to be always excited is a pathology. It isnt the dao in any way.

this one :

Speaking for immortals =) they are well aware of death of course, but it doesn't bother them the way it does the fearful, Although they are aware of physical death it doesn't scare them.

I think that this is part and parcel of being a taoist practitioner.. fear of death disapears. In one sense this makes us immortals, yes. I agree.

So I didnt need to dress as a cowgirl? dang.

• Like 2

You dont return to a state of arrested development.

Good, I'm glad you agree with me. So is fear of death a type of developement?

A need or wish to be always excited is a pathology. It isnt the dao in any way.

No need, no wish, just enjoying life so much that it is exciting.

So I didnt need to dress as a cowgirl? dang.

Didn't need to but it would be nice, YEEEEHAaaa! How about a French Maid outfit :blink:

Little deaths are experienced with each cycle of the breath, so what is there to fear? Breathe in fully, then a gap forms... this gap is the momentary, empty yet essential bridge to life, the primordial one that welcomed all of us into consciousness at birth. With the end of the outbreath, another gap forms... this space is our experience with 'little deaths'. With a bit of awareness, we can become mindful of how precious the spaces are, how they add meaning to life - for without them, continuity(tantra) would not be possible.

from an old cow. :)