mewtwo

teaching qigong?

So um yeah i really wana teach qigong i have spent alot of time researching it and such. I have even kind of developed my own system. i was wonderind what you guys think it takes to teach qigong?

Sorry if this sounds kind of noobish for lack of a better term.

Thanks

So um yeah i really wana teach qigong i have spent alot of time researching it and such. I have even kind of developed my own system. i was wonderind what you guys think it takes to teach qigong?

Thanks

You'll need to make a DVD for promotional purposes.

Thanks

Trial and error.

Lots of it

You just take the risk that you're not ready. If you're not egoistic it's not a problem if you find out you were not ready after all.

If you think you are ready you probably are. Share what you have. Learn from teaching others. Just have a go dude, you'll either do well or you won't. Then you can just keep getting better at it. Look at maccas, they were small to begin with, some tiny shop selling burgers now look at em. It hasn't been THAT many years since they began.

Thanks

When you say "researching it", have you actually studied qigong with any teachers, or have you just read books, watched DVDs, etc? If you are just making up your own system without being taught by anyone (in person), and don't have any prior training in things like Chinese medicine, martial arts, meditation, etc., I think that it's credibility would be questionable. But since you'd be the founder, you could call yourself "Grandmaster"! If you do have a teacher, you could ask how he or she started to teach, and if they think that you are ready. There are also teacher training programs that you could attend in a variety of qigong systems.

Edited by Dainin

sorry...i feel compelled to chime in here...

please take no offense at my opinion, it is only that...my opinion. i do not know you, or your history with qi gong, so feel free to tell me to go to heck.

based on what you have led us to believe is your history with qi gong, i would say a resounding, no...you should not go out and teach people. qi gong and internal martial arts can be extremely dangerous if done improperly...especially if it is a "new" system. have you learned any arts through a reputable, certified teacher? and if so, have they given you the authority to pass on the knowledge they have imparted to you? if the answer to either of those questions is "no", then continue to refine yourself before you attempt to refine others...

now, having said that, i have taught some close friends the very basic, beginning qi gong because they were curious about what it is that i do on a daily basis. that is much different than it sounds like you are suggesting, which is actively seeking students to teach your system...i would strongly caution you...

• Like 1

I agree with Dainin.

Your own experience with it no matter how you learned counts, and you could perhaps take it to a teacher and see what they think. Whatever you do, be honest about what you do think you know and what you don't, since it is always possible to waste other people's time, harm the reputation of the system in their eyes, or in worst case cause them harm.

I imagine everyone would enjoy being taught by a true teacher who could really sense their students' abilities, unique needs, and guide them in the right direction most efficiently no matter who they are and what happens along the way (all without undermining their own self-reliance and inner guidance along the way!), not to mention connect qigong with other systems and all of life.

just some thoughts, because I too ask that same question and do not really know myself. I honour its history and traditions of the past in which it was passed on, but they cannot be applied in the world of today without accommodating to it (which doesn't mean changing the method in any way, especially not degrading it) simply because it is not the same world.

You haven't given any info as to what qigong you have studied - with who and how long.

Most likely you don't have a teacher - if you do he/she would be the one to ask.

If you have to ask people who don't know you - haven't seen you do it you are not ready.

sorry...i feel compelled to chime in here...

please take no offense at my opinion, it is only that...my opinion. i do not know you, or your history with qi gong, so feel free to tell me to go to heck.

based on what you have led us to believe is your history with qi gong, i would say a resounding, no...you should not go out and teach people. qi gong and internal martial arts can be extremely dangerous if done improperly...especially if it is a "new" system. have you learned any arts through a reputable, certified teacher? and if so, have they given you the authority to pass on the knowledge they have imparted to you? if the answer to either of those questions is "no", then continue to refine yourself before you attempt to refine others...

now, having said that, i have taught some close friends the very basic, beginning qi gong because they were curious about what it is that i do on a daily basis. that is much different than it sounds like you are suggesting, which is actively seeking students to teach your system...i would strongly caution you...

i also think qigong styles and techniques tested over hundreds if not thousands of years and proven safe is the place to stay. if and only if and when one become master level could they think about tinkering and creating a new style. so lets say ten to twenty years practice. if someone wants to teach(show) someone some basic qigongs that is cool, if someone is willing to pay to learn, that is cool to. what types of breathing is in this new style? what is the new qigong trying to accomplish specifically? i think in that he didnt know if he was ready or not to teach indicates he is not. but by all means continue qigong and sharing with friends but please stick to the basics.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with dainin and pilot. BUT... that does not mean that you aren't meant to teach. If you are serious about teaching, then it would only serve you and your students to do more research learning from a proven reputable system. There is also no reason why you couldn't teach your own style later if you decided to. But, training with teachers will only give you a wider frame of reference to help your students. I eventually started my own style of qigong, but that was after almost 20 years in traditional styles first.

I say, definitely work toward teaching. It is a valuable calling and the world needs it.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with dainin and pilot. BUT... that does not mean that you aren't meant to teach. If you are serious about teaching, then it would only serve you and your students to do more research learning from a proven reputable system. There is also no reason why you couldn't teach your own style later if you decided to. But, training with teachers will only give you a wider frame of reference to help your students. I eventually started my own style of qigong, but that was after almost 20 years in traditional styles first.

I say, definitely work toward teaching. It is a valuable calling and the world needs it.

Good post and I'm going to take this advice too since I feel I want to bring SFQ to Finland one day.

When you say "researching it", have you actually studied qigong with any teachers, or have you just read books, watched DVDs, etc? If you are just making up your own system without being taught by anyone (in person), and don't have any prior training in things like Chinese medicine, martial arts, meditation, etc., I think that it's credibility would be questionable. But since you'd be the founder, you could call yourself "Grandmaster"! If you do have a teacher, you could ask how he or she started to teach, and if they think that you are ready. There are also teacher training programs that you could attend in a variety of qigong systems.

Um i did have a teacher who taught me taichi and then he moved away. I have basicaly studied on my own through books and dvds and such.

Why would i need to go through a teacher training thing?

Um i did have a teacher who taught me taichi and then he moved away. I have basicaly studied on my own through books and dvds and such.

Consider one of my teachers who is a direct student of Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson. She can tell you the 18 ways of holding your body in correct stance and why.

http://www.qigongmedicine.com/info.php?i=2137

Do you know how to correct someone's stance if their pelvis is tilted too forward in standing stake and why that is important? Students will ask you why all the time.

If anything you must have a lot a knowledge to teach a very little. Learn one stance very well, teach proper posture, and correct breathing and why this is important and you will have a class.

s

• Like 2

Why are you resistant to the idea?

What would you say to someone who wanted to become a dentist or a doctor or carpenter who asked "why do I need to train with someone first?"

You are wanting to teach someone a skill which presupposes that whatever you are wishing to teach takes some level of skill and knowledge. This presupposes that someone needs your expertise to learn it. Otherwise why not just try and figure it out for themselves?

So, by asking this question you are at cross purposes with yourself. If what you want to teach is a skill that your students need to learn from you, since you have experience in it, it only makes sense that if you are serious about teaching this skill, then you would want to research it with those who have learned a proven system.

Or let me put it another way. Would you want to learn qigong from someone who said, " I don't really have any formal training and I kinda just made this stuff up as I went along. So, do you want to learn from me?"

or would you rather learn from someone who says, "I started experimenting with qigong awhile ago and I decided I wanted to teach it, so I got serious and began researching qigong techniques from proven systems. Do you want to learn?

I don't know about you, but I would not train with the first guy.

• Like 2

Ok here is my story again.

I live in a small town where there arnt alot of qigong stuff or even taichi stuff. I have studied from books and dvds because that is all there is out here. I studied taichi xingyi and bagua. i learned that it does not matter the form as long as you are combining your breath with your movements you are cultivating chi. So I decided to create my own style of martial qigong based on the movements of the lion. And i did that.

I am not resistant to the idea of a teacher if there were one who could teach taichi or bagua or xing yi around where i live i would learn it. Then show them my form and see what they think.

in the same way i studied martial arts i studied tcm and developed my own accupressure thing. which has had very good results on people who have injuries like a sprained ankle ect.

Mewtwo,

You asked people if you were ready to teach. You've received a few responses that said no, but encouraged you to continue. If you weren't prepared to hear 'no' then why bother asking? It's a free Universe, you can do whatever you want and no one will stop you. So go ahead and teach. You would not be the first and you won't be the last.

It sounds like you have a gift and real potential. But you clearly are resistant to learning otherwise instead of using the small town excuse as a reason to not learn, you would find reasons to go someplace where you can learn... You are not a victim, you have options... It may be inconvenient to move or travel to learn but it is not impossible.

i learned that it does not matter the form as long as you are combining your breath with your movements you are cultivating chi.

Form is extremely important otherwise one can cause themselves all kinds of serious injury to joints. If the form is out of balance, energy can get stuck and cause other more serious problems.

As I said earlier, if qigong is not really a skill that requires training, then who needs a teacher at all?

In all seriousness, it sounds like you have a gift and real potential. IMO, if you are really serious about wanting to help other people through teaching, then you would want to seek out formal instruction so you can be the best teacher possible for the sake of your students. There are no downsides to learning, but by not learning, there are many downsides to both you and your students.

At the very least after you have trained with other instructors, and you still feel like teacher training is unnecessary, then at least you will have some experience to back up your statements.

• Like 3

I have a friend who is Chinese, a businessman who used to live in the Midwest before he got established in his current business (unrelated to Chinese arts) and teach taiji there. He told me that he himself had never taken a taiji class (though he was quite involved with yoga) and hadn't even seen a DVD at the time, he just had a book, so he would read a chapter in the morning, learn the moves, and teach them in the evening. Next class, next chapter. He made a living. His students, who couldn't tell taiji from no taiji, assumed that if the teacher is Chinese, it must be taiji.

So... now you know one thing you need, or at least one thing that can be helpful. :lol:

By the way, I've been teaching my Chinese friend some real taiji now. Even took him once to a top master (who doesn't teach beginners) for a "taste" of push-hands of the level not usually open to beginners. The master, having assessed our respective skills hands-on, announced that between my kind of "not ready" and my Chinese friend's kind of "not ready" to teach the difference is about a decade -- i.e. I'll be ready in a year or two, while he will be ready in ten plus years if he keeps practicing.

FWIW. :)