Trash Filter

Feeling of time passing by, or time flying

Ever get the feeling that time is just passing by slowly, or flying?

What is this? Is time really expanded or dilated in our perception in these instances?

TF

I remember experiencing this several times during deep meditation, the entire night passed within 30 minutes. I remember my sister on the computer the sound of the keyboard sounded like she was typing at 10,000 words a minute. Very surreal. My only explanation was that my mind had slowed down causing the experience of time outside of me to speed up.

What is this? Is time really expanded or dilated in our perception in these instances?

TF

I remember experiencing this several times during deep meditation, the entire night passed within 30 minutes. I remember my sister on the computer the sound of the keyboard sounded like she was typing at 10,000 words a minute. Very surreal. My only explanation was that my mind had slowed down causing the experience of time outside of me to speed up.

Happened to me too, on a dancefloor with neat "strobing" effects where everything slowed way down so I could almost see things unfolding "frame by frame" but then I mentally remarked "wow cool" and it all sped back up again instantly. No drugs involved. But that time and some others did play with my sense of what time is.

So how much can we experience in a second? Is there room to open up time, and experience more within each moment?

All that's happened to me is, I guess time slows down.

I Feel like im moving much faster though. I don't have much going through my head, I notice that after it happens.

for example.. I was on AIM talking to a friend,

I Said brb bathroom, friend says ok.

I go, wash my hands and come back. I say back, and he replies "..." "?" and I say "what" and see the aim time. It was only 4 seconds.

Weird. That was the only time it was really timed I think.

Other times I'll just do things, it's really just I don't hesitate in the situations, they even feel long to me sometimes.

I've sometimes had people comment on it happening, but yea strange.

It only happens every once inawhile, those are the times I can tell though.

Edited by NeiChuan

TF

You mean like when your waiting for an ambulance and what takes five minutes seems like forever?

Or...

When you are having fun and five hours seems like five minutes and has passed too quickly?

Its funny how perceptions work this way sometimes. Perhaps it is more where our attention is at rather than perception itself. Perceptions usually kicks in when we are aware of time. Like waiting for the ambulance we are watching every second. Our attention is on time. Our perception tells us time is moving too slow. When we are having a good time, it is rare we put our attention on time. Our attention is usually on whatever is providing that good time so we don't notice it flying by. At least our perception of time doesn't notice. Not until we realize the good time is up our perception tells us that it went too fast.

Edited by pennyofheaven

My husband and I were driving truck & 5th wheel on the freeway - a huge semi truck cut us off, into our lane, his trailer on a path to demolish our Dodge truck.

Joe and I both experienced this: it was as though an invisible hand took both our truck and his trailer and gently manipulated the two so that neither would hit the other. It happened in slow motion, almost as if our truck had been lifted off the road. I've never experienced anything like it. It happened in just a few seconds, but every single detail, every movement of both vehicles, was in real slow motion, we could see each and every movement and the reason for it. We both experienced this simultaneously and talked about it afterwards. Wow. To see two huge chunks of matter being manipulated like that. Wow.

I've been in a couple car crashes (and some close calls) and have experienced the same sense of time slowing down (and subsequent wacky physics). Also a couple of times when people have pulled guns on me. And to a lesser extent: motorcycle riding, sword-fighting, doing stunts, and some partner dance.

I also notice that when I'm working a job that I love, the days move fast, but the weeks creep by. When I'm doing a job I don't enjoy, the days drag, but the weeks blur by.

So how much can we experience in a second? Is there room to open up time, and experience more within each moment?

What's "a moment"?

I thought that a "second" was the "time" it takes for some radioactive or other product to degrade by some measure or other. And don't get me started on centimetres or any other abstract "standard" measurement, those things can kill :ninja:

Weren't the yugas measured in breaths?

TF

Hi TF!

I believe those moments show the true nature. That time is a relative thing.

That our momentary perceptions can alter what is experienced on a very real level.

I would call those moments a "view behind the curtain".

Did you happen to see a man in green?

We live in the land of Oz... and we are all off to see the wizard!

Peace!

Edited by strawdog65

We live in the land of Oz... and we are all off to see the wizard!

I watched this movie again a couple years ago and had to laugh at the ending - seeing it with spiritual eyes, you have to realize that the Wiz is none other than us. How disappointed Dorothy and pals must have been when they realized there really wasn't a wizard there - just some mousey little guy sitting on a stool pulling the strings.

What a wonderful analogy to the question of god / no god. Or duality, if you'd rather. It's all One. We're the Wiz. We have the ultimate responsibility for doing what we want with our own lives. Yeeeehaw.