Samuel

Beginning Meditation

Hello folks

I've wanted to start meditating properly for a while now, but I don't really know where to begin. I've flitted about the net and found the Inner Smile, which I practise intermittently, but other than that, I'm not doing anything. I've also searched meditation on here too, but that just confused me with the amount of things that turned up. I've looked for classes but there are none in my area or they're buddhist rather than taoist (there seems to be no taoists where I live). I've also thought about getting a book, but I don't quite know where to go in that direction either, (maybe Secret of the Golden flower? I've heard that one mentioned over and over).

I've got a vague idea what's what (and I mean, vague), but I don't quite know where to start! Can someone please suggest some methods of sitting meditation for emptying the mind and some basic beginners meditations or exercises for cultivating chi. Any book suggestions? Is a teacher necessary for either? Does it matter if the emptying the mind meditations are buddhist rather than taoist, (i'd prefer taoist, since that's what I follow, but that might just be me being preferential rather than practical, i'll give anything a go at least once, really). There seems to be so much stuff out there! Someone help! Please!

Hello folks

I've wanted to start meditating properly for a while now, but I don't really know where to begin. I've flitted about the net and found the Inner Smile, which I practise intermittently, but other than that, I'm not doing anything. I've also searched meditation on here too, but that just confused me with the amount of things that turned up. I've looked for classes but there are none in my area or they're buddhist rather than taoist (there seems to be no taoists where I live). I've also thought about getting a book, but I don't quite know where to go in that direction either, (maybe Secret of the Golden flower? I've heard that one mentioned over and over).

I've got a vague idea what's what (and I mean, vague), but I don't quite know where to start! Can someone please suggest some methods of sitting meditation for emptying the mind and some basic beginners meditations or exercises for cultivating chi. Any book suggestions? Is a teacher necessary for either? Does it matter if the emptying the mind meditations are buddhist rather than taoist, (i'd prefer taoist, since that's what I follow, but that might just be me being preferential rather than practical, i'll give anything a go at least once, really). There seems to be so much stuff out there! Someone help! Please!

Samuel, are you in Wales, in the UK? If so, Barry Spendlove is accessible to you. He is in Colwyn, I believe. He is a Healing Tao instructor and does regular courses for beginners. Google HealingTaoBritain to find him.

• Like 1

'proper' meditation depends on who you ask. there are various approaches to meditation and equally as many practices which are generalized as meditation. how you regard this variety will say a lot about your inclinations and ultimately the approach you choose to try.

You've already mentioned TICHTC which is a book I wish I had found earlier in my search. Some styles are more traditional (and possibly more safe and effective), while others are more on the fringe of things (self-created styles by psychics is one example that comes to mind). I would start by collecting a few books from a good variety of traditions and zero in on the one that stands out for you. Generally, if there are things to definitely avoid, you would come across those warnings (some of the ones I came across are: don't focus on the crown directly unless you already know what you are doing, don't try to raise awareness on the third eye exclusively (establishing the plumb-line is a direct example of this insight), don't eat a heavy meal just before, don't put direct pressure on your knees exclusively thinking you are on your way to full lotus, exercise caution with your breathing so you don't collapse your lung if you are at risk, etc. etc.).

Finally, trust your inner wisdom and inner guidance, and don't put unnecessary obstacles between you and meditation. It can only ever happen now. The very first person to label their practice as meditation had no clue what they were doing either; human progress did not stop because teachers and books did not exist.

Samuel, are you in Wales, in the UK? If so, Barry Spendlove is accessible to you. He is in Colwyn, I believe. He is a Healing Tao instructor and does regular courses for beginners. Google HealingTaoBritain to find him.

I am indeed! I've never heard of it before, I shall Google it, thank you.

I'll bear that in mind, Pilot. What's TICHTC?

Edited by Samuel

the book you've heard mentioned over and over ;)

Right! Just checking since I couldn't make "Secret golden flower thingy" fit TICHTC or whatever it was. I shall certainly check it out =]

Do you think it's worth checking out the buddhist meditation classes that are near me? Is there a big difference between Buddhist or Taoist meditation or are they both trying to achieve the same thing? From what I've looked at, they seem to be.

I agree with the above, find a teacher, use the books as a supplement to what you learn in actual classes.

I would also recommend Barry Spendlove as well if you are in Wales, we were on a China trip together a few years ago with Michael Winn. He is a wonderful person, and a true character !!

• Like 1

Right! Just checking since I couldn't make "Secret golden flower thingy" fit TICHTC or whatever it was. I shall certainly check it out =]

Do you think it's worth checking out the buddhist meditation classes that are near me? Is there a big difference between Buddhist or Taoist meditation or are they both trying to achieve the same thing? From what I've looked at, they seem to be.

Daoist meditation contains a multitude of different branches, many precludes following other practices.

I would recommend to never stop studying different traditions, even those you're not excited about, expand your knowledge and understanding of principles: Why do a certain branch (daoist, buddhist, whatever) structure its practice in a certain way? What is the goal? Caveats? Dogma and spiritual marketing? Previous practicioners of branch X - what are their experiences? Can this system take me far on my own? Is this system really right for me - does it motivate me? How do I know when I am making progress? Is this teacher somebody I would like to emulate? What am I seeking to accomplish? Etc.

Some skills you can transfer, such as stability of mind. Thus studying with a skilled meditation teacher who happens to be a buddhist won't normally hinder you in your pursuit in becoming an adept in a daoist tradition, on the contrary, cultivation wise it can save you much time.

Above all, never loose your independence, earnestly cultivate mundane and spiritual wisdom yourself, confirm things with your own experience, question your darlings and don't become trapped in imposed views.

This is from my own experience, hope some of it helps.

I'll send you a PM.

Mandrake

It depends on how you want your path to go. Obviously you seek knowledge; and imo it's always better to seek wisdom/knowledge first and let the rest naturally progress from there. In seeking knowledge there's 3 basic ways (maybe 2 depending of views) in varying degrees of difficulty.

-The first and easiest (maybe not, lol) way is to find a physical teacher.

-The second way is to contact the spirit world and learn directly from the Ascended Masters

-The third way is to reach the state of "no-mind" and channel whatever information you seek directly.

Depending on which way you want this to go will determine the action you should probably take.

As for beginning meditation, that too is kinda "open" and "broad". Meditation used to mean a state of supreme focus and concentration, however it's been widdled away, like the word "love" to have a thousand meanings. Now watching TV is considered meditation, mildly considering the possibility of a man chopping off your balls with an iron cleaver is meditation. Human beings in todays world live in a state of near-constant sedation from drugs, food, tv, over sexing, etc so it had to be "watered down" unfortunately. So now U must define WHY you want to "meditate", where are you trying to go with it? what are you trying to get out of it? Answering those questions will lead you to your method.

I would say the best place to start is to sit down, be quiet and don't move for an extended period of time(once you begin to feel restless, meditation has begun) and just listen to your mind rattle around in your head. Eventually these thoughts lose their hold on you and you become sort of detached from them. If you do it long enough then all of the subconscious "junk" in your system (one of the main causes for a disturbed mind) will be fully processed and probably leave you alone after awhile. When I say subconscious junk I mean all of the hurt you repress from youth. You may begin to feel strange, then you may begin to cry or get angry or frustrated. Just let these feelings express themselves. eventually they'll settle down and go away.

Another consideration to give is whether or not to use binaural beats, sensory deprivation, or "natural" meditation. The advantage of sensory deprivation is that you get into a state of "mindlessness" faster. The advantage of doing the natural method is that you learn to reach that kind of concentration in any environment. In the story of Wang Liping his masters had him sit in a thick musky environment filled with incense where he learned to maintain focus in the face of distractions. But again it's WHY you're doing meditation and what you want out of it that will likely determine which route is best.

Also, this is just me, but I personally find fasting to speed up the "subconscious brain dump" process. It helps to still my body and my thoughts and it helps me to get to a SUPER quiet and concentrated state. Thats only if you can handle it though, pushing is good, pushing too hard is only good if you're 100% devoted to the end :P

Best of Luck

-Astral

I would suggest you spending several years doing this basic yet powerful exercise:

1. Focus on your breathing, and when I say focus I mean make it tangible, with form and substance, not just breating in and out.

2. Make sure you follow your breath in its journey down to the lower dantien but it is also an excellent idea to breathe right down into the kidneys. Do the same thing on the way up, follow the exhale phase of the breathing process.

3. Finally pay careful attention to all the sensations that this exercise may trigger in you: mental, physical, emotional and any spiritual insights. At the same time they rise they will go, you must watch them but make sure of not grasping onto any of these experiences.

Have fun.

...As for beginning meditation, that too is kinda "open" and "broad". Meditation used to mean a state of supreme focus and concentration, however it's been widdled away, like the word "love" to have a thousand meanings. Now watching TV is considered meditation, mildly considering the possibility of a man chopping off your balls with an iron cleaver is meditation. Human beings in todays world live in a state of near-constant sedation from drugs, food, tv, over sexing, etc so it had to be "watered down" unfortunately. So now U must define WHY you want to "meditate", where are you trying to go with it? what are you trying to get out of it? Answering those questions will lead you to your method.

Motivation for meditation: My monkey mind is particularly potent. Only twice, (and both due to listening to two songs repeatedly), I've only ever experienced even a vague stillness in my mind, (and I'm not even sure that was still, just concentrated, maybe). I think constantly. From the second I fall asleep to the second I wake up, I'm always turning something over in my head. I think my mind probably deserves a rest, and that meditation is the thing to do that.

I would say the best place to start is to sit down, be quiet and don't move for an extended period of time(once you begin to feel restless, meditation has begun) and just listen to your mind rattle around in your head. Eventually these thoughts lose their hold on you and you become sort of detached from them. If you do it long enough then all of the subconscious "junk" in your system (one of the main causes for a disturbed mind) will be fully processed and probably leave you alone after awhile. When I say subconscious junk I mean all of the hurt you repress from youth. You may begin to feel strange, then you may begin to cry or get angry or frustrated. Just let these feelings express themselves. eventually they'll settle down and go away.

I don't really know, but I'm only 19! How much stuff could I have repressed? Plus as of so far, my life has been gravy, I have to admit.

I would suggest you spending several years doing this basic yet powerful exercise:

1. Focus on your breathing, and when I say focus I mean make it tangible, with form and substance, not just breating in and out.

2. Make sure you follow your breath in its journey down to the lower dantien but it is also an excellent idea to breathe right down into the kidneys. Do the same thing on the way up, follow the exhale phase of the breathing process.

3. Finally pay careful attention to all the sensations that this exercise may trigger in you: mental, physical, emotional and any spiritual insights. At the same time they rise they will go, you must watch them but make sure of not grasping onto any of these experiences.

Have fun.

Great, thank you, can't hurt to give it a go.

More questions!

Are there great differences between culitvation of chi (that the right term?) and meditation?

Is it detrimental to practice more than one method of meditation at a time? (I mean on a weekly/daily basis, rather than during each session and mostly because I'd like to experiment with different methods/styles/traditions or what have you).

Why do people cultivate chi? Is there a specific benefit or something more general like improved health?

I have to confess, up until now, the majority of my Taoism has resolved around the study of the books and attempted implementation of their teaching into my life, (I say attempted, it doesn't always go well). I'd now like to delve into the other side of things or at least learn of them.

Thank you all for you answers, they're very helpful and interesting.

Much love, folks.

Sam

Edited by Samuel

Have fun.

This is good, as is counting your breaths, 1 in, 2 out, 3 in..up to 10 then restart. Do it for 15-20 minutes, or just sit. Nothing complicated.

There is a podcast called Zencast (podcasts are free and downloadable from Apple Itunes), they have some indepth recordings of beginner and intermediate meditation courses you can follow through. They last a few months and are done by very experienced people.

Don't get too intellectual, find a course, sail it, be true to it for a while, you'll get places. Beyond the sense of boredom there are riches.

Michael

Motivation for meditation: My monkey mind is particularly potent. Only twice, (and both due to listening to two songs repeatedly), I've only ever experienced even a vague stillness in my mind, (and I'm not even sure that was still, just concentrated, maybe). I think constantly. From the second I fall asleep to the second I wake up, I'm always turning something over in my head. I think my mind probably deserves a rest, and that meditation is the thing to do that.

Well if quieting your mind is all I would suggest breath-work and cardiovascular exercise. To slow your mind, first start by slowing your breathing. Start with a clock and breathe in as slow as you comfortably can and try to breathe out for that same count. So for example you may find 8 seconds in and 8 seconds out is where you're most comfortable, then start there. Continually push that and try to slow your breath as much as you can. Also while breathing try not to breathe into your chest, breath into your belly letting it expand and contract naturally. This will help GREATLY in quieting the mind, even with minor distractions. The cardio simply increases your lung capacity making the breath-work much easier to do :)

Oh also, as a fellow "intellectual" and as an "obsessive thinker", I would recommend practicing being spontaneous. And I don't mean doing spontaneous qigong (which is fun as hell and would qualify), but just live and do without thinking for a bit. Just laugh be silly and don't think. Obviously this would be done in a TRUSTED environment, I don't recommend doing this in "risky" situations. Another thing that may help is to do something expressive like art or music. Our culture is obsessively "left-brained" thus music and art helps to stimulate our under-used (imo) right brain and keep a balance.

I don't really know, but I'm only 19! How much stuff could I have repressed? Plus as of so far, my life has been gravy, I have to admit.

I'm also 19 and I'll tell ya I thought I was doing pretty good myself until I ended up dropping out of school and being isolated in my room for hours with nothing to do. Meditation kinda forced itself upon me because I eventually ran out of things to distract myself with and had to face myself. Maybe you are fine and accept yourself fully, maybe you allow your emotions to be expressed, however don't be surprised if you find yourself crying or becoming enraged for no reason during meditation or other altered states. It usually starts with an "agitation" or 'restlessness". Personally I started feeling this pressure in my upper back between my shoulder blades and i would feel energy surge through that area and I would burst into emotion. First time I experienced it was with the ever controversial (maybe not so anymore?) Kunlun. But just be prepared and let whatever happens happen...which could be nothing

Great, thank you, can't hurt to give it a go.

More questions!

Are there great differences between culitvation of chi (that the right term?) and meditation?

Is it detrimental to practice more than one method of meditation at a time? (I mean on a weekly/daily basis, rather than during each session and mostly because I'd like to experiment with different methods/styles/traditions or what have you).

Why do people cultivate chi? Is there a specific benefit or something more general like improved health?

Meditation naturally increases chi however there are other specific methods meant to accumulate chi (usually in the lower dan tien). Eating proper foods increase chi, exercise increases chi, laughing can increase chi. Chi is just lifeforce (according to the modern general consensus). However there are arts that can do seemingly "super-normal" acts using what they call "chi", which may not be the same thing. Again there's a language problem because the New Age movement loves to ruin things and use watered down versions of powerful techniques and claim themselves "masters" when in reality they have nothing to show for it other than an inflated pride.

As to the benefits of "chi". In the general sense it increases your "hit points" :P. Again depending on who's definition of "chi" you're using it can do many things. According to an old poster here "dremhempel" it can make you a "chick magnet" and give women orgasms at a distance, with John Chang it can set shit on fire and allow one to have super-normal strength and speed; in Kunlun it can heal, move others and cause spontaneous movement in yourself (that shyts fun! XD), it really depends on who you ask. Again this is my pesonal take on this.

I have to confess, up until now, the majority of my Taoism has resolved around the study of the books and attempted implementation of their teaching into my life, (I say attempted, it doesn't always go well). I'd now like to delve into the other side of things or at least learn of them.

Thank you all for you answers, they're very helpful and interesting.

Much love, folks.

Sam

Edited by Astral_Anima

Hello folks

Hi Samuel,

I'm bout to start a meditation practice also! I've become very drawn to zen meditation, zazen practice. You could check it out if you want. Just pick the meditation that feels most right to you and thats the one that you should do.

Best Luck to your practice :)

Thank you for all your replies folks! Very helpful stuff.

I had a scoot about and decided to try the Inner light meditation from this website here: http://www.meditationcenter.com/ (can't remember where I got the link, probably off here somewhere). I did it for about 5-10 (somewhere in between me thinks), before I started getting a pressured, tingly, vibrating sensation in my forehead, between my eyes and up a bit, (the third eye area? I think? waaah i wish i knew what I was talking about! >.<), like someone was pressing there with their thumb and wiggling/vibrating it. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? Could it be from tension in my forehead? I can't find anything about it on the site and the other forums I've read in my quick search say varying things. Any ideas?

If it is something bad/negative or whatever, is there something I can do to stop it, I like the meditation particularly, something was particularly enjoyable about it, rather than other ones I've tried this week on breathing.

Thanks you very big,

Sam

Thank you for all your replies folks! Very helpful stuff.

I had a scoot about and decided to try the Inner light meditation from this website here: http://www.meditationcenter.com/ (can't remember where I got the link, probably off here somewhere). I did it for about 5-10 (somewhere in between me thinks), before I started getting a pressured, tingly, vibrating sensation in my forehead, between my eyes and up a bit, (the third eye area? I think? waaah i wish i knew what I was talking about! >.<), like someone was pressing there with their thumb and wiggling/vibrating it. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? Could it be from tension in my forehead? I can't find anything about it on the site and the other forums I've read in my quick search say varying things. Any ideas?

If it is something bad/negative or whatever, is there something I can do to stop it, I like the meditation particularly, something was particularly enjoyable about it, rather than other ones I've tried this week on breathing.

Thanks you very big,

Sam

Thats also taught by godsdirectcontact.com and santmat.net of course they add mantras, "sounds of power" to augment it. It's also the first step in the book "Taoist Yoga". It'll help to do more than simply quiet your mind ;)

The pressure in your forehead could be caused by looking upward or it could be caused by your concentration on it. For example if you concentrate on your lower dan tien, just below the navel, many people record feeling "heat", I believe this can become an objective phenomena ie tummo, where the monks can raise thier body heat at will to incredibly high temperatures. If you enjoy this meditation then stick with it. Nothing bad can occur in the beginning stages. Later that light may begin to grow stronger and you may start seeing shapes and forms and you may start hearing things as well. Thats where it could pose problematic depending on what you attract. I believe thats why the above sects require vegetarianism and a generally "pure" lifestyle, so they don't attract evil energies.Thats just what I personally think about it. If you do begin to see something you don't like it's suggested you either tell it firmly to leave or to call upon the deity you respect and believe in the most. But if you like what you're doing then stick with it, and best of luck to you on your journey :)

-Astral

More questions!

No difference between the two. Qi is you and vice versa.

Better focus on one style rather than mingling and making a mess out of different systems. The road to mastery is achieved by continuous practice and discipline over time; this last word is something that Westerners have trouble with when it comes to spiritual practice.

I have to confess, up until now, the majority of my Taoism has resolved around the study of the books and attempted implementation of their teaching into my life...

Less books and more practice. Listen to the Universe you have within you and tune it with the natural order.

Practice outdoors, near trees, flowers, rocks, water streams, the ocean...

That's all you need.

Thats also taught by godsdirectcontact.com and santmat.net of course they add mantras, "sounds of power" to augment it. It's also the first step in the book "Taoist Yoga". It'll help to do more than simply quiet your mind ;)

The pressure in your forehead could be caused by looking upward or it could be caused by your concentration on it. For example if you concentrate on your lower dan tien, just below the navel, many people record feeling "heat", I believe this can become an objective phenomena ie tummo, where the monks can raise thier body heat at will to incredibly high temperatures. If you enjoy this meditation then stick with it. Nothing bad can occur in the beginning stages. Later that light may begin to grow stronger and you may start seeing shapes and forms and you may start hearing things as well. Thats where it could pose problematic depending on what you attract. I believe thats why the above sects require vegetarianism and a generally "pure" lifestyle, so they don't attract evil energies.Thats just what I personally think about it. If you do begin to see something you don't like it's suggested you either tell it firmly to leave or to call upon the deity you respect and believe in the most. But if you like what you're doing then stick with it, and best of luck to you on your journey :)

-Astral

Great, in that case, I think it will become a regular thing, I'll check out those other links too, thank you =]

No difference between the two. Qi is you and vice versa.

Better focus on one style rather than mingling and making a mess out of different systems. The road to mastery is achieved by continuous practice and discipline over time; this last word is something that Westerners have trouble with when it comes to spiritual practice.

Less books and more practice. Listen to the Universe you have within you and tune it with the natural order.

Practice outdoors, near trees, flowers, rocks, water streams, the ocean...

That's all you need.

I realise I'll need to pick one and stick to it, I just meant testing things out in the beginning. I realise it's not gonna be an overnight thing.

More excuses to be outside! Fantastic! :D

Thanks for all the replies guys =D