Sign in to follow this  
markern

Tai chi with smurai sword?

I don`t like the tai chi swords I ahve seen. NOt at all. But I loooooove samurai swords. I think at some point I would like to learn a sword form of tai chi and it would be great to do it with a samurai swrod instead. But I am wondering if the difference in sword type might make that impossible. Anyone know?

there are tai chi forms that use broadsword, i look at a samurai as a type of broadsword.

if you feel comfortable using this type of sword then it is the right one for you.

for me the straight sword(tai chi sword) is definately on a different level and not for everyone.

Since I'm tall and most broadswords are too short my teacher had me train with a wood katana, after which I graduated to a real one. The energy of the katana and broadsword are slightly different, but most practice broadswords are way stupid, being so light, The broadsword is supposed to be very heavy, and you can't really do the form right if it isn't heavy. and so ...the master that show you the 'form' with a tin foil broadsword are ... um ... never mind

I've been thinking of making a video of Yang Tai Chi Broadsword (you know, dragon style =) not the stiff way, would you prefer to see it with broadsword or katana?

I learned half the Yang straight sword form but never finished it. My tai chi teacher said I would actually be better with a straight sword than a broadsword, but I never practiced it and so forgot it. There are also Chen straight and broadsword forms.

Just a couple ideas. ..

Any thoughts on how you would adapt forms designed for a double edged blade to a single edged sword ? Further, if holding the blade during different cuts stimulates meridians and affects qi in different ways doesn't altering the form to work with the single edged blade alter the energetic intent of the form ?

what don't you like about tai ji swords ?

Edited by robmix

personally i like straight (tai ji) swords. i have 3 swords all are straight. however, i would think that for most people using a broadsword or a katana would feel more comfortable and a level of proficiency would be obtained in broadsword much much much quicker than with straight sword.handling a broadsword, katana, or sabre is safer than handling a straight sword(which i think of as a long straight double edged razor) i enjoy practicing the straight sword not to use as a weapon but to sharpen my mind and spirit. i only practice a handful of sword forms.

tai chi 32 i think it is a yang style form but i am not certain. it is an easy form with nice flow. i use red lightning sword form as my main bagua sword form.again this is a short form and has effect of raising kundalini. i also am now starting 5 element sword which is a xingyi form and also can be used with broadsword.

most times when i play with the sword i am not doing forms. i just handle the sword practicing drawing it and withdrawing it and i do sitting sword drills for at least an hour, more is better if you have the time. the sitting sword drills force you to acknowledge your tantien. connecting it to the sword.

Sign in to follow this