Niklas

Kundalini yoga

Hello,

When I was in Indonesia 6 months ago I tried Kundalini yoga, and since then I have been thinking about it. I even bought some kundalini yoga DVDs online. Can anyone recommend a book or share some information about it? Because I am curious...

Thanks.

Hello,

When I was in Indonesia 6 months ago I tried Kundalini yoga, and since then I have been thinking about it. I even bought some kundalini yoga DVDs online. Can anyone recommend a book or share some information about it? Because I am curious...

Thanks.

There are hundreds of related posts at this site... (reader beware) Raja Yoga under a fully realized master is the safest course. Curious about kundalini can be kinda like being curious about the electricity in the wall outlet, in other words would you work on live wires without an electrician?

• Like 1

I would look for a teacher who teaches Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan. You'll have to get past the Sikh-ness of it all, but the system is great. There are tons of great teachers throughout the world (except in China and Japan where I have only found a few). You can search for info and teachers here:

http://kundaliniresearchinstitute.org/

http://www.3ho.org/

Feel free to ask any questions here, and you might want to do a search for past topics. . .

I would look for a teacher who teaches Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan. You'll have to get past the Sikh-ness of it all

Could you elaborate which parts are Sikh?

Thanks, if anyone knows more teachers tell me. I live in Paris, so I'll need a teacher who lives here (if its not for just a weeks or a month workshop). But there are also fake teachers that use you for their own benefit, so I am quite afraid...

I also would like to have more information on what kundalini yoga is, please. What do you mean by electrician and Sikh and everything? I have no knowledge about all of this.

Edited by Niklas

Could you elaborate which parts are Sikh?

There was no actual practice called "kundalini yoga" until Yogi Bhajan took the yoga and meditation practices he learned as a child in India, formalized them into a system, and attached them to his Sikh practices. That is what we now call Kundalini Yoga. There are of course other practices that raise your kundalini, but they are not part of this formalized system.

When you practice kundalini yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan there are many sikh mantras. They are very powerful, and any good teacher will tell you that you do not have to be sikh to receive the benefit. My teachers in L.A. emphasize that you should maintain your own belief system (Judaism, Christianity, etc.), and that the mantra only serve to open up energy centers.

Thanks, if anyone knows more teachers tell me. I live in Paris, so I'll need a teacher who lives here (if its not for just a weeks or a month workshop). But there are also fake teachers that use you for their own benefit, so I am quite afraid...

I also would like to have more information on what kundalini yoga is, please. What do you mean by electrician and Sikh and everything? I have no knowledge about all of this.

I would definitely look at the websites I posted above for teacher references. You need to find someone that makes sense to you. Try a bunch of classes and see who and what works.

Ok. Is kundalini yoga for raising your kundalini only? I have read that kundalini yoga is to increase your awareness. Is that what you get by raising your kundalini from your lower back to the crown of your head? I don't really understand the purpose of this practice.

There was no actual practice called "kundalini yoga" until Yogi Bhajan took the yoga and meditation practices he learned as a child in India, formalized them into a system, and attached them to his Sikh practices. That is what we now call Kundalini Yoga. There are of course other practices that raise your kundalini, but they are not part of this formalized system.

That's not entirely true. That is the story that Yogi Bhajan told. Yogi Bhajan was a brilliant teacher, but he was notorious for not being entirely truthful which he himself admitted to. Bhajan claims to have learned mainly from Sant Hazarah Singh. But when investigated, there is very serious doubt about that. Bhajan traveled around India for much of his life learning from different masters. The truth is there are other versions of practices labeled as Kundalini Yoga and they came before Yogi Bhajan's version. Bhajan's version is a syncretic mix of different kundalini yogas and his understanding of Sikh mysticism. In reality, bhajan's version is not entirely Kundalini Yoga. Yogi Bhajan trained mith numerous traditional Hindu yoga masters including hatha, raja and kundalini styles and synthesized them into his own style which he called Kundalini Yoga. He was a very devout Sikh and so he infused many sikh beliefs, mantras and rituals into his style of yoga.

traditionally kundalini yoga is practiced from a tantric hindu perspective. Bhajan replaced much of that with sikh religion influences

It is very good stuff. I echo the sentiment that to get the most out of it, one may consider getting past the strong sikh influence. Traditional sikhs do not practice Bhajan's style of yoga and many sikhs do not appreciate Bhajan's style of Sikhism.

IME, when I was practicing Bhajan's yoga, I also sought out Sanskrit mantra and tantra as they are more traditionally connected with kundalini yoga. Bihar school of yoga teaches a more traditional style of Kundalini Yoga. They have a few really good books out there that I recommend to anyone seeking kundalini yoga. Their website is gone sadly. But you can find books by Swami Sivananda saraswati. Those are quite good, IMO.

Bhajan's yoga is, as I said, IMO very, very good. It is a fire practice though, so, I advise caution if anyone plans on mixing it with deep Taoist practices. KY is a very forceful practice as opposed to much of Taoist practices. Depending on what taoist practices one chooses to mix it with, it can cause energy imbalances. So, I suggest, choosing one practice and sticking with it or make sure you have a good teacher to help mixing the two practices. And also be aware that Bhajan's yoga is pretty much a cult at the deeper levels. So, keep that in mind when you seek out instruction.

• Like 2

Ok. Is kundalini yoga for raising your kundalini only? I have read that kundalini yoga is to increase your awareness. Is that what you get by raising your kundalini from your lower back to the crown of your head? I don't really understand the purpose of this practice.

That is a very deep question which will get you different answers depending on whom you speak with. I suggest finding a teacher. The answer to that question will not be answered in a forum post, IMO. Find a teacher...

• Like 1

I am in sort of a similar situation as you.

I am interested in Yoga, but I know very little about it. I have trouble even knowing where to start researching or learning it.

Edited by Immortal4life

I've taken several Kundalini Yoga classes from a 3HO Yogi Bhajan center. Very yang, the first one injured my knees for a month or so (I am an old fart). I later started going to a chair class, developed for folks with injuries. Enjoyed the class, the teacher was a wonderful, mature woman who had been with the system for a long time. I took away some elements of the practice that are still with me today for which I am very grateful. Had I not lost my job that was located close to the ashram, I would have stuck around more. There is a fair amount of dogma associated with the 3HO version of Sikhism that I couldn't relate to that would have kept me from going in too deeply. Decided to stick with my Yin Yoga practice.

The advice I've given to others asking the same question as you is to just find a yoga class nearby and get started. At the very least you'll learn the basics and how not to hurt yourself. Take what you've learned and start practicing at home between classes. Seeing that you live in Paris, there should be numerous yoga studios close by. Just do it.

That's not entirely true. That is the story that Yogi Bhajan told. Yogi Bhajan was a brilliant teacher, but he was notorious for not being entirely truthful which he himself admitted to. Bhajan claims to have learned mainly from Sant Hazarah Singh. But when investigated, there is very serious doubt about that. Bhajan traveled around India for much of his life learning from different masters. The truth is there are other versions of practices labeled as Kundalini Yoga and they came before Yogi Bhajan's version. Bhajan's version is a syncretic mix of different kundalini yogas and his understanding of Sikh mysticism. In reality, bhajan's version is not entirely Kundalini Yoga. Yogi Bhajan trained mith numerous traditional Hindu yoga masters including hatha, raja and kundalini styles and synthesized them into his own style which he called Kundalini Yoga. He was a very devout Sikh and so he infused many sikh beliefs, mantras and rituals into his style of yoga.

traditionally kundalini yoga is practiced from a tantric hindu perspective. Bhajan replaced much of that with sikh religion influences

Interesting to hear you say that, it's actually the first time I've heard anyone say that there is "kundalini yoga" in India. Not that there aren't yogas meant to raise kundalini, but that there was anyone practicing what they would call kundalini yoga. . . As far as YB and his teachers, they do claim that there is kundalini yoga in India, but I've never encountered it in any of my travels in India, or could verify it's existence with any other yoga teacher either here in the states or in India. Regardless, we're very much in agreement about the whole thing, including the cult-like aspects, though I find that mostly with the older teachers who knew him personally. The new generation of kundalini practitioners (including myself) seem to take the practice for what it's worth, and have dismissed the cultishness.

Kundalini yoga is great for opening all your channels(nadis), increasing your flexibility, and learning different breathing and meditation techniques. Many people practice it without ever truly raising their kundalini.

For me, Kundalini yoga has been the most complete yoga I have found. It's the one yoga I have practiced that seamlessly integrates asana, breath, and mantra. It has helped that I had a solid foundation in hatha before taking kundalini yoga classes as the asana are often sacrificed with certain teachers.

I am in sort of a similar situation as you.

I am interested in Yoga, but I know very little about it. I have trouble even knowing where to start researching or learning it.

Start taking classes near you until you find someone and someplace that you like. That's really the only way. . .

Interesting to hear you say that, it's actually the first time I've heard anyone say that there is "kundalini yoga" in India. Not that there aren't yogas meant to raise kundalini, but that there was anyone practicing what they would call kundalini yoga. . . As far as YB and his teachers, they do claim that there is kundalini yoga in India, but I've never encountered it in any of my travels in India, or could verify it's existence with any other yoga teacher either here in the states or in India. Regardless, we're very much in agreement about the whole thing, including the cult-like aspects, though I find that mostly with the older teachers who knew him personally. The new generation of kundalini practitioners (including myself) seem to take the practice for what it's worth, and have dismissed the cultishness.

Since YB died, it has become easier to distance the practice from the cult. It was pretty bad there for awhile, when he was in his heyday.

I agree with you that in India, Kundalini Yoga is not a name for one system of yoga. It is a name more about any high level practice that focuses on Kundalini. It is mostly found in the more esoteric parts of shaktiism and tantric Shaivites. YB drew from many of these sources. I have found that YB told pretty much the truth when he said that these types of Kundalini Yoga were only taught to initiates in secret until YB began teaching it openly. There are a couple of exceptions out there, but none as well known as YB...

Here is one of the books by swami sivananda

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Tantra-Re-print-Satyananda-Saraswati/dp/8185787158/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

We also have KAP instructors like Shakti Mama here on Taobums. Might want to give them a looksee..

On the book it says "kundalini tantra". What is the difference between kundalini yoga and kundalini tantra? and what is KAP?

Edit: also another question... what is Sat Nam Rasayan ?

Edited by Niklas

thank you robmix & fiveelementtao for those insightful comments.

Regarding Bihar school of yoga, I wonder what is left of it, and if it is possible to put together a more 'pure' or traditional style of Kundalini Yoga, even if Yogi Bhajan's is enjoyable as it is. After a brief search, there is www yogamag net which seems to hold archives from that school.

Also, when there is mention of Kundalini Yoga, I also like to recommend AYP (Advanced Yoga Practices), which just released its second volume.

On the book it says "kundalini tantra". What is the difference between kundalini yoga and kundalini tantra? and what is KAP?

Edit: also another question... what is Sat Nam Rasayan ?

Any Kundalini Yoga instructor can teach you about Sat Nam rasayan. I suggest looking for an instructor.

KAP is "Kundalini Awakening Process" Shaktimama is on this discussion forum and is an instructor for KAP. Contact her about KAP.

Tantra means "technique or discipline" Yoga means union. Tantra is part of Yoga.

Again Niklas... You will have more and more questions. I do not think that asking a bunch of questions on a discussion forum is the best way to learn about kundalini yoga. I encourage you to get up from behind the computer, find some books and begin reading and most importantly go and find a teacher you can learn from who can answer all your questions for you....

• Like 1

I've seen one discussion about examining what's kundalini yoga and what's arguably part of sikhism, and how people put the two together, sikhs and non-religious alike. It might go against this site's terms&conditions if I link to another forum, so I won't, but it was an easy find since it makes for a popular search term to say the least.

Their discussion has nothing conclusive or definitive that I came across unfortunately from a glimpse.

Regarding Bihar school of yoga, I wonder what is left of it, and if it is possible to put together a more 'pure' or traditional style of Kundalini Yoga, even if Yogi Bhajan's is enjoyable as it is. After a brief search, there is www yogamag net which seems to hold archives from that school.

The web site for the Bihar School of Yoga is back up. It must have been a temporary glitch. They also have branchs in the U.S., Australia, and some other countries under the name of Satyananda Yoga. Their curriculum seems to be one of the most complete I've seen, at least based by the book titles that they publish. I have one of them, "Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha", and it is really one of the best hatha yoga books that I've read.

Edited by Dainin

I have most of the books, if not all, from the bihar school of yoga. They are very very good books, and quite easy to understand. The above mentioned Kundalini Tantra is a book that gives practical steps to follow. In it there is a good bit of theory and background, and complete instructions on a safe practice. I highly recommend it, if not for a good read. As far as what the training does for you is quite remarkable. It has a uncanny resemblance to taoist nei gong practices, which is not a coincidence. Simply put, it is a joining of yin(manas shakti) and yang(prana) which releases kundalini to open the last 9/10ths of the brain(Super Simplified!) You'll even find references to this in the book about john chang(for you fans out there). The practice is very systematic and super easy to follow if you use alittle discipline. Good luck in your training!

There was no actual practice called "kundalini yoga" until Yogi Bhajan took the yoga and meditation practices he learned as a child in India, formalized them into a system, and attached them to his Sikh practices. That is what we now call Kundalini Yoga.

Sivananda wrote a book called "Kundalini Yoga" in 1935.

I am told that it existed in northern India and was kept secret by the upper castes there so that the lower castes wouldn't have access to the kundalini. So maybe there was a practice before yogi bhajan ??? im no expert just passing it on from my KY teacher