TheJourney

love yourself

That is all you must do. Love yourself, and love anything that you can relate to out in the world. Just simply learn about yourself and who you truly are. THIS is the key to nirvana.

That is all you must do. Love yourself, and love anything that you can relate to out in the world. Just simply learn about yourself and who you truly are. THIS is the key to nirvana.

The key to the 4 brahmaviharas, yes.

Nirvana? That's a little/alot deeper.

because if we love ourselves then we wont need to play our ego-games to obscure our true self. Then we become in alignment with our spirits, this is called finding your center.

^_^

because if we love ourselves then we wont need to play our ego-games to obscure our true self. Then we become in alignment with our spirits, this is called finding your center.

^_^

Nirvana is throwing your center into infinite regress, or to put it another way, an abyss. This will scare your center into freedom from itself.

But of course it's deeper than this too as this can be grasped onto as an essential subject as well, as it's done in traditions that uphold the void as absolute.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

A quote from Baba Muktananda from his book, "Kundalini, the Secret of Life.", "And this is why I always tell everyone, meditate on your Self, Honor your Self, worship your Self, for God dwells within you as you."

a nice beginning for the journey

s

Nirvana is throwing your center into infinite regress, or to put it another way, an abyss. This will scare your center into freedom from itself.

But of course it's deeper than this too as this can be grasped onto as an essential subject as well, as it's done in traditions that uphold the void as absolute.

ok so if you were to give a defnition for nirvana what would it be. Im also wondering what the 4 brahmaviharas are. Is there some sort of progression of realizations leading up to nirvana.

Im not to familiar with buddhism. ^_^

also i like the quote susan. :)

A quote from Baba Muktananda from his book, "Kundalini, the Secret of Life.", "And this is why I always tell everyone, meditate on your Self, Honor your Self, worship your Self, for God dwells within you as you."

a nice beginning for the journey

s

I've read all his in print books and most of his out of print books. I used to collect them actually! Had so many of his very rare books.

I had a really cool dream with Gurumayi the other night... actually... I guess the night of Christmas? It took place on the night/early morning of December 26th though I suppose in our time zone on the East Coast of the USA.

I've got nothing but respect for what Baba Muktananda did for the knowledge of Kundalini in the West. He awakened my mother in 76' to a process deeper than the mundane.

:wub:

The key to the 4 brahmaviharas, yes.

Nirvana? That's a little/alot deeper.

If loving yourself brings you to the 4 brahmaviharas, then because the 4 brahmaviharas lead to nirvana by extension loving yourself leads to nirvana.

The challenge to grow and expand one's boundaries is to learn to understand and love that/those which we think we cannot or are unable to relate to, be it in this world, or the past world, or the one to come.

Key to nirvana? As VJ said, its not as simple as you would like to think. Conversely, its also not very complex. That's the good news. The 'bad' news is we wont find out if we are actually holding the 'right' key until we approach the bardo of dying and death.. this is why a lifetime of practice and mindfulness, as encouraged by the Buddha and all subsequent Buddhist teachers with integrity, to return again and again to non-distraction, remains the most practical, assured option for many.

The full measure of loving oneself is the degree to which we are ok with 'losing' oneself. Without this ok, it gets hard when difficult situations are met, and then people crumble under the weight of the tightness with which they cling to themselves, finding it almost impossible to let go of pain, guilt and tormenting emotions. This is the cause. The effect? Its not that difficult to figure out. Naturally, for most people, they tend not to think too much about this matter of 'losing' the self too much, cos for most people, it feels as though life is always rosy, and death, or the nearness of death, appears to be so far away. If only it was....

The full measure of loving oneself is the degree to which we are ok with 'losing' oneself. Without this ok, it gets hard when difficult situations are met, and then people crumble under the weight of the tightness with which they cling to themselves, finding it almost impossible to let go of pain, guilt and tormenting emotions. This is the cause. The effect? Its not that difficult to figure out. Naturally, for most people, they tend not to think too much about this matter of 'losing' the self too much, cos for most people, it feels as though life is always rosy, and death, or the nearness of death, appears to be so far away. If only it was....

I like that CowTao!

You're right, of course.

But also beware of dispensing "sound bite solutions". There is absolutely truth in what you say, but what you say does not necessarily convey that truth.

What is "love"? What is "yourself"? How does one "love one's self"? And how does one fit that into a path of "self"-surrender?

You're obviously in a place of great discovery, Journey, which is awesome. Be careful, though, about the tendency to preach those discoveries to others. It's not that what you're saying is wrong, but that finding your own in to a path is very different than having an answer that opens others up.

Why not assume that everyone else here, has already had the epiphany that you just had? Why would you assume otherwise?

And if that's the case, then why not engage others in conversation, rather than "saving" them through your aphorisms? Let your recent revelations be the wind that fills your sails, as you engage with others. But forget this "enlightenment" red herring, and forget this preaching. I doubt you are doing either yourself or anyone else a favor.

If you want to demonstrate how important it is to love your self, then go out and do it, then come back and tell us what happened. Let your personal experience (and your respect of others) be the gift you share, not some facile words, telling others how to live.

• Like 1

If you don't.

You'll be drowning in peoples skewed perspectives, without sight of your own.

If you do, you will grow.

:wub:

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

There is no you to love. This type of love is dualistic, inherent, suffocating, and bound to lead to suffering, and delusional. It is at best a short term remedy to accept hidden tendencies and habits.

Anatta, no-self, is a cornerstone teaching in Buddhism.

If loving yourself brings you to the 4 brahmaviharas, then because the 4 brahmaviharas lead to nirvana by extension loving yourself leads to nirvana.

It can... yes!

I'm not denying that at all. :)

Very cool.

The other month I was robbed at knife point near by my neighborhood store. It was interesting, because at first I struggled for about 10 seconds, but he was stronger and wrapped me up with my face against the wall and had the knife right at my right kidney. I already knew it was sharp because it cut my finger during the struggle. At that point, I completely relaxed and felt a light (saw a light) come over me. I felt... "If I was in his situation, I'd do the same thing." I felt genuine compassion for the guy and you know what? He felt that coming from me and responded in kind, only taking the cash in my wallet, 30 dollars and leaving me with my wallet and keys. I told him, "I understand, it's ok." He was nice to me after that and I went on my way.

I felt myself just relinquish control and I found compassion and a depth of relaxation that I'm sure would not have happened had I not been a practitioner of dharma.

Thank goodness for the practices!! Saved my kidney!

• Like 1

... because at first I struggled for about 10 seconds, but he was stronger and wrapped me up with my face against the wall and had the knife right at my right kidney. I already knew it was sharp because it cut my finger during the struggle. At that point, I completely relaxed and felt a light (saw a light) come over me. I felt... "If I was in his situation, I'd do the same thing." I felt genuine compassion for the guy and you know what? He felt that coming from me and responded in kind, only taking the cash in my wallet, 30 dollars and leaving me with my wallet and keys. I told him, "I understand, it's ok." He was nice to me after that and I went on my way.

Thank goodness for the practices!! Saved my kidney!

Did you ever wonder whether your certainties are part of an illusion?

First you struggled. When did you give that up? When he had his knife at your kidney and you against the wall. You were pretty much FORCED into abandoning adverse action against the robber and then call that kind of compassion 'genuine'.

Then you strengthen that perception of yours by saying he ONLY took your money. Well, does the ordinary robber have any interest in keys and wallet? Ever realized that you cannot know what he was after unless you had a chat and he told you? (Or did he and you omitted that from your account?)

And he being nice to you is no miracle either, since you were nice to him AND he got the money.

Now how did your practice save your kidney? How would someone lacking any kind of 'compassion-practice' have reacted? Probably the same way, don't you think?

All I see in this anecdote is you having been driven by fear of severe physical injury, possibly cladding the reaction in spiritual garment in order to avoid feeling miserable.

Edited by Hardyg

Like the way you put it ....

Sometimes it is good to eliminate all the complicated affairs of the world. Maybe a chocolate?

How does one increase self love?

Hi dmattwads,

thats a thoughtful question ....

Maybe at times we should not take things too hard. Most illness arise when we over exert our mind and heart to interprete what is right or wrong. We get angry and sad when we try to analyse matters that fit to our well.

What do you suggest?

Good question.

Love is an action, not just a feeling. The feeling of love is the result of the actions of love. So, possibly one way to increase love for oneself is to take loving actions toward yourself even if you don't feel it.

• Like 2

Did you ever wonder whether your certainties are part of an illusion?

First you struggled. When did you give that up? When he had his knife at your kidney and you against the wall. You were pretty much FORCED into abandoning adverse action against the robber and then call that kind of compassion 'genuine'.

Then you strengthen that perception of yours by saying he ONLY took your money. Well, does the ordinary robber have any interest in keys and wallet? Ever realized that you cannot know what he was after unless you had a chat and he told you? (Or did he and you omitted that from your account?)

And he being nice to you is no miracle either, since you were nice to him AND he got the money.

Now how did your practice save your kidney? How would someone lacking any kind of 'compassion-practice' have reacted? Probably the same way, don't you think?

All I see in this anecdote is you having been driven by fear of severe physical injury, possibly cladding the reaction in spiritual garment in order to avoid feeling miserable.

:lol:

I am quite aware of the psychic subtitles that went on in the situation. I saw the light, experienced it... embraced it and relaxed into it. I was always in it, even as he cut my finger when I struggled to get away... it was a very interesting experience. I also felt him feel it.

But, thanks for trying to diminish me. :):lol:

p.s. my wallet contained 4 credit cards, a food stamp card, all of which he saw and my pockets had another 30 dollars which he didn't check. His entire demeanor changed as well and there was a visible light that suffused the entire situation. I guess you had to be there,

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Secret smile and Zhan Zhuang

And most important...

Don't player hate!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

post-53655-129706214265_thumb.gif

post-53655-129706215986_thumb.gif

Edited by sifusufi