Stigweard

The Importance of Family and the Tao

Great thesis, Stigweard. I am likewise convinced in the central importance of family, and the need for developing those relationships. I have put off starting my own family, mostly because I never saw my own development being great enough to be the masterful father and husband that I would want to be.

I love my family of origin, but relating there takes more mastery, as well. I feel like I am one of the few members of my family who really wants to relate to everyone, but I find even that is not necessarily within my control.

Your reminder is a good one, because it's easy to get distracted (especially since my family lives far away), and then the building with them has to start over again. It's fun to believe that family will always be ready to receive me, but I find that the truth is more complicated than that. I need to stay involved, in order to keep the wheels turning.

I would recommend that if someone wants to truly understand the importance of family, then one needs only look at the relationship between a child and their mother. After all, "Mother is the name for God, on the lips of every child." If this is true, then the same can be said for Father. In the end, the one that we respect the most, is the one who controls our very existence, who by providing for us, keeps us fed and cared for.

As far as what we teach our children, I think it is far better to teach them how to fish, then to provide them with fish. Of course the most important thing we can do for our children is be there when they need us and to let them go when they don't.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Nice presentation Stig.

I have no comments.

That was the most beautiful comment I've ever read. :P

This is not a comment. I have no comments.

OH wait... It is a comment, I mean its not comment to the topic. :ontopic:

I mean I have no further comments. Wait, does that last comment about comments count as a comment? :lol:

I do have a comment! Family may not always be good for you. Especially if you have destructive family. Leave them and find new family. Everyone is family, we're all children of the same stars! :wub:

That awesome family or close friends is imortant, yes! :D

Oh, and your children too ofcourse. If you have those. And if you're more mature then your children, otherwise do not interfere too much. They are individual souls, respect them and even praise them when called for, love them don't obligate them too much.

Thanks for that huge post. Especially on these hollidays family matters are very appreciated.

I would recommend that if someone wants to truly understand the importance of family, then one needs only look at the relationship between a child and their mother. After all, "Mother is the name for God, on the lips of every child." If this is true, then the same can be said for Father. In the end, the one that we respect the most, is the one who controls our very existence, who by providing for us, keeps us fed and cared for.

As far as what we teach our children, I think it is far better to teach them how to fish, then to provide them with fish. Of course the most important thing we can do for our children is be there when they need us and to let them go when they don't.

Aaron

This is interesting how I remember this as a quote Brandon Lee's character Eric Draven cited in "The Crow"

Even more interesting is how Stig's "The Janitor" is another classic scene from the same film.

I love to joust with my stepson about the proper name for a piece of work. He always says T.V show or movie and I am a firm believer in film!

When I married my wife he and the girls were sealed with the deal.

Quite the leap from being an only child who had lived on his own for a very long time.

I'll try to get on that book ASAP

He was being interviewed by a renowned journalist who also happened to be a skilled novel writer. At the end of the interview the journalist asked for some personal advice on how she could become a number one best seller like Robert was.

Robert picked up his book and pointed to the tagline at the top of the front cover which said: “Number One Best Seller”.

“You see,” Robert said, “You are a best-writing author and you are by far a better writer than I am, where I am a best-selling author. If you want to become a best-selling author I suggest you get a job where you can learn to sell.”

The journalist was outraged at the suggestion crying, “I would never steep so low as to learn to sell!”

So many people share this same prejudice about selling, but I will say it again that, regardless of the social stigma that surrounds it, selling is merely the art and ability to relate to people authentically and communicate effectively.

That's so funny, how you equal the usual psychological trickery of marketing with authentic communication.

Also, when you talk about a stigma about selling, you could as well interpret that the opposite way, especially in the USA. It all depends on the type of environment. In fact, this very writing could be a marketing tactic of putting yourself (the marketeer) in a fake victim role in order to create artificial factuality.

And I would say the best in anything in this sense are the people who are successful at selling just through the quality of what they do. Others might be better at selling itself, but selling lower quality stuff, and on average the former type might be more successful.

But there's also the problem of inseparability, so maybe the focus should be on intention. When you do something that makes you relate to people and sell your product very well, and you had no intention of optimizing your work for making as much money as possible, it's a different thing.

But as I said, self-justification/deception is common in areas that basically go against humanitarian or social goals. It's a kind of marketing strategy not only for others, but also yourself.

Not wanting to digress too much, but that reminds me of a saying that when you use lies to further your agenda, and you are becoming more and more dependant on those lies, you might begin to actually believe them.

• Like 1

Not wanting to digress too much, but that reminds me of a saying that when you use lies to further your agenda, and you are becoming more and more dependant on those lies, you might begin to actually believe them.

What a fantastic statement!