Sign in to follow this  
ShaktiMama

prayer and healing requests?

I am leaving for a personal, spiritual retreat on Dec 30 for the New Year's Weekend at the Franciscan Retreat Center. I will be spending most of my time in meditation. Send in your prayer and healing requests.

Namaste and Love,

Susan ♥

www.franciscanretreatcenter.org

I am leaving for a personal, spiritual retreat on Dec 30 for the New Year's Weekend at the Franciscan Retreat Center. I will be spending most of my time in meditation. Send in your prayer and healing requests.

Namaste and Love,

Susan ♥

www.franciscanretreatcenter.org

I don't know if it's possible to get the information I'm after but I'll ask just in case -- since you're going to be at a Franciscan place, maybe they know?..

I was in the Franciscan monastery in Lima which has extensive underground catacombs, and the catacombs have many pits with thousands of human skulls and bones arranged in mandalas, thirty feet deep some of them, and they won't tell you why the Franciscans did it. When questioned, they quickly respond with a line learned by rote, "this serves no purpose, and was done merely to astonish." I'm not buying that, of course, and have my own ideas as to the purpose of this practice, but I wonder if you could get an explanation from the source and share it? They don't allow taking pictures inside the Lima place but someone seems to have sneaked a camera in -- here's what one of those pits looks like:

http://www.swerdloff...tacombs_jpg.htm

I don't know if it's possible to get the information I'm after but I'll ask just in case -- since you're going to be at a Franciscan place, maybe they know?..

I was in the Franciscan monastery in Lima which has extensive underground catacombs, and the catacombs have many pits with thousands of human skulls and bones arranged in mandalas, thirty feet deep some of them, and they won't tell you why the Franciscans did it. When questioned, they quickly respond with a line learned by rote, "this serves no purpose, and was done merely to astonish." I'm not buying that, of course, and have my own ideas as to the purpose of this practice, but I wonder if you could get an explanation from the source and share it? They don't allow taking pictures inside the Lima place but someone seems to have sneaked a camera in -- here's what one of those pits looks like:

http://www.swerdloff...tacombs_jpg.htm

Sure...I will ask around. These are Franciscan sisters not monks.

s

From what i've read from your posts you seem to be a very hard-working person: enjoy the retreat. :)

-Also its interesting to hear about retreat centers like this, i may us one in the future.

-Thanks.

• Like 1

From what i've read from your posts you seem to be a very hard-working person: enjoy the retreat. :)

-Also its interesting to hear about retreat centers like this, i may us one in the future.

-Thanks.

also look up the Benedictines. Part of their order role is to offer hospitality to strangers.

Locally, both places offer utilitarian private retreats, self directed, in the forests with places for contemplation and meditation.

They are usually fairly inexpensive, like about $60 a night. Meals are usually extra but they tend to have full kitchens that you are allowed to bring your own foodstuffs.

These two don't discriminate. More than Catholics are allowed to use their facilities.

It is worth checking out. Here I mistakenly made a reservation at the retreat up in the Sangre de Christo mountains which is like the the Himalyans of the west. Winter is not a good time to go there unless you are prepared to rough it with a 4wd. Also you must bring your own food. They are 30 miles away from the nearest small town.

So there is a diversity in what's offered depending where you are. I also find Buddhist retreats and other ashrams are available and inexpensive.

s

Hey Susan:)

Thankyou for offering so much.

Hope you have a great time up there, and here's to a Happy 2011 too.

lots of love.

xxxx

Hey Susan:)

Thankyou for offering so much.

Hope you have a great time up there, and here's to a Happy 2011 too.

lots of love.

xxxx

:wub:

Sign in to follow this