Sign in to follow this  
EastDream

How to find a Teacher?

Hello,

I am a 24 year old male, living in the Richmond area of the East Coast. I've recently gotten heavily into Taoism and decided I would like to further my path by finding a center and or some sort of teacher. Well, I've looked around the area and there is absolutely nothing...nothing regarding Tao anywhere. No centers, organizations, anything.

There is an Ekoji Buddhist Sangha however that is very near by. I went to a zen meditation last week and think that I will continue to go to that place. How does one go about finding a Taoist teacher, instructor? Is this even a realistic goal for me to be having?

Forget all the fools who pose as teachers. If you were to meet Zhuangzi himself, the second Patriarch of Daoism, what do you think he'd tell you about finding a teacher? Well, here's what he would tell you:

http://www.terebess.hu/english/chuangtzu.html

Once a man receives this fixed bodily form, he holds on to it, waiting for the end. Sometimes clashing with things, sometimes bending before them, he runs his course like a galloping steed, and nothing can stop him. Is he not pathetic? Sweating and laboring to the end of his days and never seeing his accomplishment, utterly exhausting himself and never knowing where to look for rest - can you help pitying him? I'm not dead yet! he says, but what good is that? His body decays, his mind follows it - can you deny that this is a great sorrow? Man's life has always been a muddle like this. How could I be the only muddled one, and other men not muddled?

If a man follows the mind given him and makes it his teacher, then who can be without a teacher? Why must you comprehend the process of change and form your mind on that basis before you can have a teacher? Even an idiot has his teacher. But to fail to abide by this mind and still insist upon your rights and wrongs - this is like saying that you set off for Yueh today and got there yesterday.4 This is to claim that what doesn't exist exists. If you claim that what doesn't exist exists, then even the holy sage Yu couldn't understand you, much less a person like me!

So if the second Patriarch is telling you that your own mind is the teacher and you ignore him, then no one can help you.

Good luck.

Edited by goldisheavy

Hello,

I am a 24 year old male, living in the Richmond area of the East Coast. I've recently gotten heavily into Taoism and decided I would like to further my path by finding a center and or some sort of teacher. Well, I've looked around the area and there is absolutely nothing...nothing regarding Tao anywhere. No centers, organizations, anything.

There is an Ekoji Buddhist Sangha however that is very near by. I went to a zen meditation last week and think that I will continue to go to that place. How does one go about finding a Taoist teacher, instructor? Is this even a realistic goal for me to be having?

visit laoziacademy.us and find sth like retreat and online meetup

Well, I've looked around the area and there is absolutely nothing...nothing regarding Tao anywhere. No centers, organizations, anything.

It seems to be like that in many places. I would try to get in touch with like minded people, sometimes there are notices at community halls and bookshops. Then go to a few gatherings etc A teacher might actually find you :)

I went to a zen meditation last week and think that I will continue to go to that place

Since you enjoyed the atmosphere then that sounds like a great plan to me. I spent a few years with Buddhist meditation groups, always enjoyed the group meditations.

Is this even a realistic goal for me to be having?

Yes I think so. It doesn't usually happen overnight :lol: but if you sincerely seek a teacher, over time you will find one.

Hello,

I did a quick google -Richmond Virginia i assumed.

Anyway there appears to be a few things. You might also try tai chi, bagua and xingi as they are taoist practices.

Yes it is a realistic goal and don't give up if that is what you think you want. Just keep your eyes and ears open.

Is Shipman, VA close to you? There's a Bon center over there, and the teacher is quite wonderful. I've read his books and have been practicing from them.

Bon is a Tibetan path, but it's quite similar to Taoism. It works with the elements, focuses on the subtle energies and purifying them, and the higher teachings have to do with nonduality of mind. It's well worth looking into.

The teacher, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, has excellent English and explains everything quite well. They also have a retreat center in VA I think too.

There is an Ekoji Buddhist Sangha however that is very near by. I went to a zen meditation last week and think that I will continue to go to that place.

That's a good idea. The basic idea, "if you want to strengthen your qi gong, practice Zen - and if you want to strengthen your Zen, practice qi gong", has come up in this community repeatedly. What you get from grounding in a Simple Stillness practice will help guard you from some typical qi gong pitfalls. It's a good foundation. Take advantage of that convenient resource that you seem to be resonating well with. Time well spent.

I second mythmakers advice. Most taoist internal alchemy practices are passed on through the three internal martial arts: tai chi chuan, xingi, and bagua. Also try looking for qigong classes in your area.

Zen meditation sounds great. Zen is a school of buddhism- mixed with taoism. It was born in the shaolin temple in china as cha'n.

How does one go about finding a Taoist teacher, instructor? Is this even a realistic goal for me to be having?

What is it you want to learn from a Taoist teacher? Do you want to learn Taoism, or a Taoist art.

Edited by Starjumper7

Tai Chi and meditation is listed as one of the classes.

http://www.rccs.ca/eng/index.php?page=bulletin

I did a google for Chinese community in Richmond

you might also get up early and check out any parks where there are Chinese living

Ask around in Asian Chinese food markets.

Sacred Peaks Taoist martial arts Wilson Pitts (Richmond Va.Downtown area). Wilson teaches a wide range of all aspects of Internal Martial arts- healing, combat, form, and function. Tai chi chuan, Pakua Chang, and Hsingyi Chuan.

I second mythmakers advice. Most taoist internal alchemy practices are passed on through the three internal martial arts: tai chi chuan, xingi, and bagua.

Third vote.:)

This way you would become a traditionalist -- start with a practice to prepare the body, the body will prepare the mind, the mind will seek out a hands-on taoist art or science (happens naturally!), practice that and it will reveal what meditation really is (not "relaxation," which can be learned anywhere even though it will be called assorted funky names), then the teacher will come. A teacher found in a different manner is likely to disappoint.

The do's and don't's of taoism boil down to, "do something taoists do" and "don't get too metaphysical too soon.":lol:

Wow! So many great responses. I never thought to maybe go to a Chinese store, living area, or food markets etc. I will have to look into that it's a great idea, and the best way to find authenticity from the source, no strings attached. I also am not incredibly familiar with the concepts of Qi Gong and Tai Chi, though I know a little about them. It would make sense a group interested in Tai Chi may have a strong Tao influence.

Bagua, Xingi, I have to research these things. I have no idea of what they are.

The Buddhist Sanga is wonderful and the people are nice there, too. I will keep going there to learn and practice my meditation.

Edited by EastDream

I also am not incredibly familiar with the concepts of Qi Gong and Tai Chi, though I know a little about them. It would make sense a group interested in Tai Chi may have a strong Tao influence.

Bagua, Xingi, I have to research these things. I have no idea of what they are.

Pa Kua and Xing Yi are martial arts, sister arts to tai chi, the three primary Taoist Martial Arts, although there are much better ones hiding insome caves.. All these arts operate under the same rules but accentuate different aspects. Also, Tai Chi and Pa Kua have excellent elements of chi kung, I don't know about Xig Yi. In fact there's a good chance that the best chi kung you can learn on that side of the Mississippi is real tai chi from a real tai chi master.

Chi kung has the health aspects of tai chi but has a broader perspective, I mean real chi kung does, most don't, not even close.

Since tai chi has all the elements of Taoist philosophy plastered all over it's surface it is also the best of the three arts to use to learn Taoist philosophy - at a cellular level even. Much better than book larnin' if you ask me.

Edited by Starjumper7

This way you would become a traditionalist -- start with a practice to prepare the body, the body will prepare the mind, the mind will seek out a hands-on taoist art or science (happens naturally!), practice that and it will reveal what meditation really is (not "relaxation," which can be learned anywhere even though it will be called assorted funky names), then the teacher will come. A teacher found in a different manner is likely to disappoint.

That's what happened to me. And I though I was just lucky :lol:

I would say it’s important not to rush to the end of the journey or to be overly focused on the goal. Remember the story of Ancestor Lu it took him a LONG time to find a teacher.

Lu Tung Pin (Lu Dong Bin, sometimes referred to as Immortal Lu) was one of the Eight Immortals of Taoist folk tales. It is difficult to separate out legendary tales that have accumulated around him from possible historical fact, or whether the poems attributed to him were written by the historical person or attributed to him later.

Lu Tung Pin is said to have been born in 755 in Shansi province of China. As Lu grew up, he trained to be a scholar at the Imperial Court, but he did not pass the required examination until late in life.

He met his teacher Chung-Li Chuan in a marketplace where the Taoist master was scrawling a poem on the wall. Impressed by the poem, Lu Tung Pin invited the old man to his home where they cooked some millet. As the millet was cooking Lu dozed and dreamed that he had passed the court examination, had a large family, and eventually rose to a prominent rank at the court -- only to lose it all in a political fall. When he awoke, Chung-Li Chuan said:

"Before the millet was cooked,

The dream has brought you to the Capital."

Lu Tung Pin was stunned that the old man had known his dream. Chung-Li Chuan replied that he had understood the nature of life, we rise and we fall, and it all fades in a moment, like a dream.

Lu asked to become the old man's student, but Chung-Li Chuan said Lu had many years to go before he was ready to study the Way. (some people say Lu was already an old man at this time – Mal)

Determined, Lu abandoned everything and lived a simple life in order to prepare himself to study the Great Tao. Many tales are told of how Chung-Li Chuan tested Lu Tung Pin until Lu had abandoned all worldly desires and was ready for instruction.

http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/L/LuTungPin/index.htm

Funny, I actually took my first Tai Chi class in Richmond (Henrico, actually). J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College, during summer. I don't remember the teacher's name, sorry; it was a very long time ago.

Good luck and have fun!

That's what happened to me. And I though I was just lucky :lol:

I would say it's important not to rush to the end of the journey or to be overly focused on the goal. Remember the story of Ancestor Lu it took him a LONG time to find a teacher.

http://www.poetry-ch...ngPin/index.htm

The story has a continuation... 400 years later, Ancestor Lu became so proficient that he surpassed his master Chung-Li Chuan and became HIS teacher!:)

I wonder why in the "Conversations" of the two immortals (translated by Eva Wong) the following dialog has not been replicated which I'm almost sure has taken place at some point...

"OK, so now you want what I have? It's gonna cost you, young man! Remember when you had what I wanted? Well, the tables have turned now!"

"Humble bows, Ancestor Lu, humble bows... I'll pay... even if I have to go hungry..."

"No need to go hungry... have a peach... it's a special one, from the Tree of Immortality in the garden of my lady friend, Great Mother of the West... just give me that purse of gold ingots..." :rolleyes:

Whoa. :o Ditto Mal's comment. My path = just like you put it, TM. :)

It usually shows when it's like that... I was seeing Mal and you and a bunch of significant others (you know who you are :wub: ) in my mind's eye when I wrote that.:)

This is a link to the Yang Chengfu Center in Winchester, VA. It's north of Richmond, but the woman who runs the center seems to be pretty connected. There is possibly a YCF center in Richmond, but this woman is probably the highest ranked person in VA.

http://www.atoctaijiquan.com

I'm not suggesting that you join the Yang Family Association. I'm a member, but I found that at the center where I studied, I had more theoretical knowledge of Qigong/Meditation/Taoism (and most IMAs) than some of the people teaching me. The benefit came from meeting other people in the IMA community in Kentucky. Of course I ended up moving back home with my first teacher who is just awesome.

Anyway, hope this helps. Maybe you can attend the workshops or she can pass you along to some folks in your area.

Also I think Park's Bagua folks are up around Richmond. (Park Bok Nam? You may want to google that)

start with a practice to prepare the body, the body will prepare the mind, the mind will seek out a hands-on taoist art or science (happens naturally!), practice that and it will reveal what meditation really is

That describes my path as well. ^_^

Sign in to follow this