Immortal4life

Info on side effects from incorrect Qigong practice

Here is a good article from Michael Tse's Qi Magazine about correctly practicing Qigong, and the consequences of incorrect practice.

Ultimately natural and gradual practice is best, day by day

Tse Qigong Centre

Qi Magazine Issue 55 - Side Effects

by Adam Wallace

Qi Magazine Issue 55 : by Adam Wallace

How is it possible that Qigong, which follows nature's principles and has been so efficacious in preventing and curing all manner of disease, can produce side-effects?

Actually Qigong is not directly responsible. The real culprit is the practitioner who has either failed to follow the exercise's principles, exercised impatience (desiring quick results), combined too many different methods (internal Qi becomes confused), followed an inadequate teacher, or learned from a book.

Side-effects can include dizziness, headaches, nausea, chills in the body even when the weather is warm, or hot flushes (the inability for the body to control its own temperature), internal wind, ringing in the ears (tinnitus) or hearing voices, distention at the Dantian or chest, shortage of breath, numbness of limbs, spasms (involuntary jerking movements while lying down), palpitation and restlessness, swelling at the vertebrae, rushing up of Qi, leakage of Qi and emission.

Positive effects of Qigong practice include warmth, tingling, an electricity-like flow within the body, heightened sensitivity, and an all-encompassing feeling of tranquillity and well-being. Negative sensations include coldness, numbness, and prickling pain etc. These, however, should not be confused with side-effects as quite often this is merely the internal Qi being mobilised to fight the disease or clear the blockage. Any discomfort in the body means that the Qi is not flowing smoothly in that area. The channel needs to be opened so practice should continue unabated. After some time any unpleasant sensations should disappear bringing forth positive sensations.

Some Qigong styles emphasise using visualisation during meditation. Using the mind in this manner can help concentration, but it expends Qi while the purpose of meditation is to store Qi. This is only accomplished with a calm and empty mind so it is generally best not to use visualisation. Other methods encourage the student to mentally guide Qi along the Du channel start-ing from the Huiyin point between the legs up the spine to the Baihui (crown of the head), then down the Ren channel to Lower Dantian and back to Huiyin. The object of this is to form the Xiao Zhou Tian (Small Heavenly Circle or Microcosmic Orbit) which is the 'Prenatal Way'. In the womb one channel orbits the body and the breathing is through the Dantian and skin. At birth the pattern changes - breathing uses the lungs and the channel separates to form two - Ren and Du. When the body has reached a state of balance naturally the Xiao Zhou Tian will form and Qi can move in either direction spontaneously. It should never be forced to open. Side-effects of this include the feeling of sickness, pressure at the back of the head, nervousness, or coldness at the kidneys.

Some books mention "press the tongue to the roof of the mouth" to connect the Ren and Du channels. If taken literally pressing the tongue upwards in this manner will cause it to become rigid, and could lead to speech impediment. There should be no tension whatsoever anywhere in the body during movement or meditation. When the mouth is closed the tongue should naturally touch the upper palate just behind the teeth. It does not need to be emph-asised.

Some books also mention "raise the anus" to close the Huiyin point to prevent Qi leaking. The principle is correct in theory but the method is wrong and can lead to bowel and bladder problems such as incontinence or constipation. A preferable method is to gently squeeze the toes, which tightens the thighs and buttocks and closes the Huiyin safely. The seated Lotus position also serves the same purpose; keeping the Qi in the upper body to nourish the internal organs.

If a Qigong system has its rules they should be adhered to with no deviation in order to avoid side effects. Hard Qigong, for example, creates heat in the body and raises the spirit. Failure to meditate, which restores the balance, will lead to an aggressive or euphoric state which, in turn, will lead to hyperactivity and nervous-ness.

Side-effects can usually be corrected either by yourself (adjusting the posture, breathing, or mental state, or changing to a more suitable method of practice altogether), your teacher (who can direct you to the source of the problem) or Qi transmission from a Qigong master (to restore the imbalance). If you were learning from a book or video and are experiencing any Qigong side-effects you should suspend all practice until you can find a teacher.

With a safe method and a qualified teacher you should never have to experience any side-effects whatsoever from practice, and only enjoy the positive effects and benefits for the rest of your life.

• Like 3

Thanks for this. Has been borne out of my own experience too. Although I still don't have a teacher, except myself.

"..followed an inadequate teacher, or learned from a book."

I have a teacher, I teach myself, and I follow books and videos as well. Ultimately what I follow is Nature, and my inner experience. I highly respect teachers, but not the kind that seek to stand between you and...yourself. Or that continuously undermine your own abilities and self-reliance.

• Like 1

Although I still don't have a teacher, except myself.

May I ask: does that mean that you are practicing official Qigong from a book or other source, or are you finding your own Qi practices, following internal sensation?

Many people like the ideal of being self sufficient, creative, free, and independent.

But there is something to be said about learning from those that have come before as well.

This is all well and good but how many of you know how to fix yourself after the fact? What happens if you can't afford to study with your favorite chi gung teacher as much you'd like and so have to practice on your own. Then side effects crop up and because of the same financial limitation, you can't go to that teacher to get help for what you did yourself? You'd be pretty much screwed. You'd have to stop. Or would you?

What if you didn't want to stop, and, having taking responsibility for learning enough chi gung to mess yourself up with in the first place, you decide to take it all the way and figure out on your own how to fix what you did? There is something to be said for trial and error.

May I ask: does that mean that you are practicing official Qigong from a book or other source, or are you finding your own Qi practices, following internal sensation?

Sort of a hodge-podge. I guess I learned a few "principles" from books, and tries and fails, one teacher (KAP) and then I went about doing some more things as and when they presented themselves. Definitely got a lot wrong the first time round.

I suspect this way of going about things means that some things don't get done/covered, but as I said to another bum, I like knowing (more or less) what's going on and I don't want anyone else playing with my consciousness TVM- or someone with an agenda "giving" me practices that don't fit with what I want to do. I'm not into "gurus" or "sanghas" but I do like everyone sharing their "what works" ideas on here.

What if you didn't want to stop, and, having taking responsibility for learning enough chi gung to mess yourself up with in the first place, you decide to take it all the way and figure out on your own how to fix what you did? There is something to be said for trial and error.

or, as a talking mushroom once said to Terence McKenna, "Nature loves courage."

• Like 1

Here is a good article from Michael Tse's Qi Magazine about correctly practicing Qigong, and the consequences of incorrect practice.

Ultimately natural and gradual practice is best, day by day

Tse Qigong Centre

I very much disagree with the author. It's not bad vs. good qigong that produces side effects. I specifically asked a taoist TCM doctor about it. He is of the opinion that any qigong can produce "qigong sickness," good or bad, and good sooner than bad (because bad qigong isn't doing anything much to begin with). He has seen it many times. Qigong is a trigger; the underlying problem can show up and get resolved, or not -- it all depends. But just because it didn't show up without qigong doesn't mean it wasn't there. A yin affliction -- deep seated, chronic, invisible until it's too late -- can be turned into a yang one with qigong, i.e. brought out of the hiding and to the surface, where it is easier to heal! Symptoms mean nothing in and of themselves. Consciousness means everything. What lies behind a symptom? What real life events, what body problems, spirit problems, developmental history problems, nutritional deficiencies, environmental toxicities, bad lifestyle choices, bad luck?..

Oh, and raising the huiyin is not incorrect in any way (not the anus, as the author asserts -- this is assinine, pun unintended... the technique is lifting the huiyin, and it's never produced incontinence or constipation in anyone -- he simply made it up). The huiyin lies on the same central line as the dantiens, so it can get involved quite naturally, whereas squeezing the toes... um, try this with anything realistic, like reverse breathing in full lotus, or taiji for that matter -- what's he gonna do with squeezed toes, claw the ground?..:unsure: Yeah, squeezing the toes does lift the huiyin, so what? -- sticking a finger down the throat produces saliva, it doesn't mean that's the correct method to produce saliva in meditation. Hitting the tendon below the kneecap with a rubber hammer produces a kicking reflex, it doesn't mean one needs to use a hammer to master kicks in MA.

Oh, and raising the huiyin is not incorrect in any way (not the anus, as the author asserts -- this is assinine, pun unintended... the technique is lifting the huiyin, and it's never produced incontinence or constipation in anyone -- he simply made it up). The huiyin lies on the same central line as the dantiens, so it can get involved quite naturally, whereas squeezing the toes... um, try this with anything realistic, like reverse breathing in full lotus, or taiji for that matter -- what's he gonna do with squeezed toes, claw the ground?..:unsure: Yeah, squeezing the toes does lift the huiyin, so what?

When I do reverse breathing I try nor to squeeze toes but can't, they get squeezed by themselves. I always thought I was doing something wrong and created unnecessary tention.

When I do reverse breathing I try nor to squeeze toes but can't, they get squeezed by themselves. I always thought I was doing something wrong and created unnecessary tention.

Interesting!:) Well, I think it's more or less an example (a very, very mild one though) of what I was talking about -- things being brought out by qigong, becoming visible. You are not "creating" tension this way but the tension that is there gets a chance to get noticed. (Hamstrings?) Ideally, one gains autonomy and increased voluntary range of motion over more and more organs and functions with practice -- it's much like playing a musical instrument, an inexperienced guitarist will hit the adjacent strings inadvertently, or a novice piano player might not move exactly the finger he wants exactly where he wants it to go without touching off the neighboring keys (or fingers). I would experiment with lifting the huiyin on the inhale, maybe the toes will relax then?:)

I very much disagree with the author. It's not bad vs. good qigong that produces side effects. I specifically asked a taoist TCM doctor about it. He is of the opinion that any qigong can produce "qigong sickness," good or bad, and good sooner than bad (because bad qigong isn't doing anything much to begin with). He has seen it many times. Qigong is a trigger; the underlying problem can show up and get resolved, or not -- it all depends. But just because it didn't show up without qigong doesn't mean it wasn't there. A yin affliction -- deep seated, chronic, invisible until it's too late -- can be turned into a yang one with qigong, i.e. brought out of the hiding and to the surface, where it is easier to heal! Symptoms mean nothing in and of themselves. Consciousness means everything. What lies behind a symptom? What real life events, what body problems, spirit problems, developmental history problems, nutritional deficiencies, environmental toxicities, bad lifestyle choices, bad luck?..

Yeah for most people any effective Qigong is bound to produce "side effects". That is the healing process taking place. And those symptoms may pass very quickly or they may take a while. So you persist with the practice. Once the symptoms are gone you'll know the blockage is gone too.

Some people actually make it sound as though it were better not to do any Qigong at all if you don't have a teacher around. That is simply not true. There are systems on the market that are suitable for home study.

Edited by King Kabalabhati

I think the main thing is there is nothing you should be scared of. Of course you will go the wrong way from time to time.

It's easy to have some bad effects. But thats how you learn. If it feels good continue, if it feels bad change it. Only a moron would keep repetatively doing things that are making them feel bad.

That is the problem of reading into it too much. They feel what they have read is right and correct and they think theyshould keep going and try to push through the pain barrier to make progress. This is wrong. Feel and make your own decision. It's each individual's journey!

"Hamstrings?"

Yes, I've been wondering (and working a great deal) about those recently. Glutes are hell too. Plays havoc with lower back and tailbone.

Thanks for the post TaoMeow. Illuminating indeed.

Some books also mention "raise the anus" to close the Huiyin point to prevent Qi leaking. The principle is correct in theory but the method is wrong and can lead to bowel and bladder problems such as incontinence or constipation. A preferable method is to gently squeeze the toes, which tightens the thighs and buttocks and closes the Huiyin safely. The seated Lotus position also serves the same purpose; keeping the Qi in the upper body to nourish the internal organs.

this is why hard pc or bs muscle squeezes ex chia et al can really cause serious problems in ones muscles

I very much disagree with the author. It's not bad vs. good qigong that produces side effects. I specifically asked a taoist TCM doctor about it. He is of the opinion that any qigong can produce "qigong sickness," good or bad, and good sooner than bad (because bad qigong isn't doing anything much to begin with). He has seen it many times. Qigong is a trigger; the underlying problem can show up and get resolved, or not -- it all depends. But just because it didn't show up without qigong doesn't mean it wasn't there. A yin affliction -- deep seated, chronic, invisible until it's too late -- can be turned into a yang one with qigong, i.e. brought out of the hiding and to the surface, where it is easier to heal!

In my experience, these are two separate things: "Qigong Deviations" and "Qigong Sickness". Qigong has a way of getting to the root of any disease or imbalance, even if it is latent or unexpressed. Practitioners can sometimes experience sickness or "side effects" of training Qigong, especially beginners, as mobilized Qi starts to act upon those 'sickly' parts of your system. This is, in effect, a healing response and diminishes with further (correct) practice. That's what you might call "Qigong Sickness".

"Qigong Deviations", on the other hand, can occur from incorrect practice (especially of 'Inner Cultivation') and hence deviated flow of Qi, causing physiological and psychological symptoms. There are / were, I'm told, special places in China dealing with these cases. Especially following the Qigong boom post 1949. This is a lot down to the style / school of Qigong you practice - some are more 'safe', i.e. less incidents of Qi deviations than others. Plus, deviation can also be induced if the student attempts to short-cut the system, rushes cultivation, chases 'extra-ordinary powers' and guides Qi inappropriately.

Wild Goose Qigong is one of the safest in this respect. It emphasizes a natural breath and movement (not the mind) to cultivate and guide Qi. But then I am biased ;)

• Like 1

"There are / were, I'm told, special places in China dealing with these cases"

What kind of places?

Nice places?

Helpful places?