Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

Living in the moment vs. timeliness

Is that called unawareness?

It's selective awareness. A very common affliction, and though seldom as immediately deadly as in the above example,

in the long run, always!:huh:

But I was mostly after the "timeliness" aspect of the example. "Timeliness" being my favorite taoist concept. It sort of eliminates much of the "right vs. wrong" dichotomy quite effortlessly and leaves us with things that are "timely" or "untimely." Tao is very mindful of this aspect of her functioning. A snowfall in New York is quite timely for Christmas, but quite untimely for Labor Day. The sage emulates tao's precision timing; the fool lives in the moment, perfectly aware of things she is paying attention to, perfectly unaware of the things she is not paying attention to... and falls into the trap of the moment she didn't notice.:rolleyes: At least that's how I saw the little story...

I was mostly after the "timeliness" aspect of the example. "Timeliness" being my favorite taoist concept. It sort of eliminates much of the "right vs. wrong" dichotomy quite effortlessly and leaves us with things that are "timely" or "untimely." Tao is very mindful of this aspect of her functioning. A snowfall in New York is quite timely for Christmas, but quite untimely for Labor Day. The sage emulates tao's precision timing; the fool lives in the moment, perfectly aware of things she is paying attention to, perfectly unaware of the things she is not paying attention to... and falls into the trap of the moment she didn't notice.:rolleyes: At least that's how I saw the little story...

Nice.

I dont think she was aware, nor present. More like she was in lala land.... fantasizing, dreaming, sponging, soaking up the attention, yes; living the moment... she was not even there to live those moments.

Here http://www.greeklatinaudio.com/hebdomad.htm a mystical look at Timeliness from a biblical perspective.

Edited by CowTao

Oh.

Sort of a, er, nicely exaggerated example. Wouldn't Tao have intervened somewhere in the several equations to "make sure" that at least one of the "elements" of the sequence was "timely"? If not, what are we looking at? An approximation? A really awful situation (where I suspect we might be...)

Should it have been up to any of the characters to ensure THEY were doing something in a timely fashion? What if the guy who jumped actually wanted to kill himself? I know the fact the fire was shown was supposed to say otherwise. What of the cab driver, he was driving the "right speed" - wasn't he?

Or are we looking at an assumption that men can't do otherwise when they see a woman in a pink dress?

----wraps head around unfathomable------

The guys in that ad were hot :wub:

That video was hilarious and kind of sad too. Though I've seen it before... on Facebook if I recall?

Wouldn't Tao have intervened somewhere in the several equations to "make sure" that at least one of the "elements" of the sequence was "timely"?

The Tao has it's own separate will?

Edited by Vajrahridaya

That video was hilarious and kind of sad too. Though I've seen it before... on Facebook if I recall?

The Tao has it's own separate will?

Good question. What do you reckon?

(I don't know the answer, which is why I ask questions, not like some people who ask questions because they're afraid their assumption isn't true).

Good question. What do you reckon?

(I don't know the answer, which is why I ask questions, not like some people who ask questions because they're afraid their assumption isn't true).

No will of it's own, our experience would merely be determined by the flow of inter-dependence, inter-karmic relations, etc. Vastly more complex than it can ever be explained. But, I really think it's a mistake to project theism or an ultimate personality over the Tao.

As if my enlightenment is decided by a super cosmic being in control of all processes! Whoo, hoo!! I wish! But, impossible and merely fantastical.

One can find out for oneself through self transcendence in meditation and contemplation in various states of birds eye view of varying degrees of depth/hight/width.... expansion.

Oh, I finally "get" where you're coming from. I wasn't putting the "will" on Tao, I was actually doing the opposite. I probably didn't say it right. Things are the way they are and no depiction can suggest otherwise. However, I have some inkling that whatever is going on is doing so in a "balanced" manner. Despite it's emptiness. Gah. Which is why I said the vid was an exaggeration.

Huh, maybe just showing the damn vid and talking about it was what "balanced" things out. How the hell would I know? I'm just a person. Man, I should spend more time with animals.

Oh, I finally "get" where you're coming from. I wasn't putting the "will" on Tao, I was actually doing the opposite. I probably didn't say it right. Things are the way they are and no depiction can suggest otherwise. However, I have some inkling that whatever is going on is doing so in a "balanced" manner. Despite it's emptiness. Gah. Which is why I said the vid was an exaggeration.

Huh, maybe just showing the damn vid and talking about it was what "balanced" things out. How the hell would I know? I'm just a person. Man, I should spend more time with animals.

I don't think things in this realm are really all that balanced, there are areas of balance and unbalance. We attempt to balance in various mistaken ways and end up harming environments.

This particular dimension of experience called Earth is I think out of balance from one perspective, and totally in balance from another. One can have a long discussion about this...

Anyway... yeah... I think we balanced it out by talking about it. :lol:

Sign in to follow this