Ten Thousand Methods

The best method of Jing retention that I have found

I started this thread because I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread about retention of sexual energy.

Let me tell you something - the process (and it will work for men & women) is explained in Daniel Reid's The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way. This book is also available on Kindle but I don't think it's available for Google eBooks yet.

I want to make some points here:

1. The process is extremely simple and is explained in 10 or 20 pages.
  2. Anyone can get good at it very quickly.
  3. Unlike Mantak Chia's method which I believe to be a birth control method this will actually help you transmute the energy (because it seals the 3 lower gates) in a gentle way and it will work with any qigong movement.
  4. Because Daniel Reid gives you the physical keys for this skill it will fit with whatever system you are currently doing.
  5. Once you have the information you are all set - you do not need to attend a workshop to learn this skill because you will simply integrate this physical movement into your existing routine.

I actually started a thread about this the last time I was at the forum (about 18 months ago) but I removed all my posts under that user name so you can't find it. At that time someone on this board actually accused me of being Daniel Reid. As I said then I'm not Daniel Reid but I would recommend this book to anyone because it delivers something that works. Once you know how to close the 3 lower gates (and his method is NOT like Mantak Chia's methods because he defines the 3 lower gates a little differently) you realize that with practice jing is easily and effortlessly converted to qi.

If you buy the book the method is explained around pages 180 to 200. The book actually covers a lot of areas but this technique alone makes it more than worth the price. If you already have a method that works then I'm happy for you. But this method integrates directly with a simple physical movement that easily works with qigong or even martial movement. You won't even need a seperate qigong form to put the technique into.

I hope everyone that can benefit from this book buys it. A long time ago (late 90s) I started out in Mantak Chia's system. Like many people I got sick despite having learned directly from him and one of his instructors. I don't want to blame him (because I'm the one that did it)or turn this into a negative discussion about his methods. I will just say this - after I gave up his practices I thought I would have to look elsewhere to learn this skill. When I read this book I couldn't believe how simple it all was. I'll give you a hint - the 3 lower gates as defined by Daniel Reid are the anus, the perineum, and the lower abdomen. They are sealed by the use of 3 seperate muscles.

I was already experienced when I picked up this book years ago but I didn't need what I had learned from Mantak Chia's system because this method is done differently and it is explained in purely physical terms.

If you have any questions about this then send me a PM.

I haven't read the book, but could you explain further why you believe the method is the best? What effects have you noticed from the practice?

• Like 1

I agree this is a well-written and informative book.

However.. Chia does emphasize the meaning of PC and anal muscles in retention. His system does cover drawing Jing through the MCO into the brain and down into the lower dantien. Maybe you're referring to a different book, I've read "Cultivating sexual energy".

Reid gives a method that is much less detailed. He suggests you use the muscles way before approaching the brink of ejaculation. I am yet to experience much benefit from either of these practices, but I think strengthening your lower parts is never a bad idea and for some of us these methods may take a lot of time to start working.

I make love to my wife about once a week due to practical arrangements and usually I just let go and ejaculate. I'm a bit of a hair-trigger kind of guy most of the time so we used to have problems with it before. Nowadays it's no problem since she has developed the ability to orgasm as soon as I enter her :wub: We're usually pretty tired form our work and kids anyway so it's good to get some sleep and not make love for hours like Reid and Chia suggest. BTW she trains with the Jade egg and takes the ayurvedic herb Shatavari (which translates: "she who has a hundred lovers" )

I haven't read the book, but could you explain further why you believe the method is the best? What effects have you noticed from the practice?

I would say it's the best simply because he shows you how to use the muscles and therefore you don't need any visualizations or any particular qigong form. It's very easy to do. The technique will work during ordinary cultivation and even during sex although you would have to be careful and make you sure you use it before you are close to the edge.

I agree this is a well-written and informative book.

However.. Chia does emphasize the meaning of PC and anal muscles in retention. His system does cover drawing Jing through the MCO into the brain and down into the lower dantien. Maybe you're referring to a different book, I've read "Cultivating sexual energy".

Reid gives a method that is much less detailed. He suggests you use the muscles way before approaching the brink of ejaculation. I am yet to experience much benefit from either of these practices, but I think strengthening your lower parts is never a bad idea and for some of us these methods may take a lot of time to start working.

It is less detailed than Chia's method but my opinion is that it's nice to not have to worry about various channels. I find that I can use the technique and the energy comes up easily without having to focus on all the various points (ming men etc). I agree it could take some time but the good thing is you can integrate Reid's method into any qigong movement you are already doing. I would recommend that people get used to using Reid's technique during qigong before they try it during sex.

It's either I fail to see any difference, or you aren't very accustomed with Chia's method - which is a method that combines physical movement, intent and coordination.

I am REALLY interested in any other methods of qigong/neigong that deal with the sexuality aspect, because I believe it's crucial to summing up your ZHI spirit - the spirit of will-power, which is necessary if you want to get your practice to become a regular thing. Although there are some that blame Chia's practices for decades now, all the methods that were presented until now were variations of Chia's, give or take some minor adjustments.

So I was really excited when I started reading this thread, hoping I could read about some new fresh unseen before method. I'm still reading.. and hoping..

L1

It's either I fail to see any difference, or you aren't very accustomed with Chia's method - which is a method that combines physical movement, intent and coordination.

I am REALLY interested in any other methods of qigong/neigong that deal with the sexuality aspect, because I believe it's crucial to summing up your ZHI spirit - the spirit of will-power, which is necessary if you want to get your practice to become a regular thing. Although there are some that blame Chia's practices for decades now, all the methods that were presented until now were variations of Chia's, give or take some minor adjustments.

So I was really excited when I started reading this thread, hoping I could read about some new fresh unseen before method. I'm still reading.. and hoping..

L1

His method is different than Chia's but you would need to read the book to see that. The muscles that he tell you to use are different and as I've said he actually defines the lower gates differently.

I really can't explain any further without posting his method here. I didn't start this thread to explain his technique as it's available in the book.

Edited by Ten Thousand Methods

I know this might sound stupid. But is post-natal jing really the jing you want/need to retain?

I was considering this and I was wondering, isn't it pre-natal jing the "stuff" you don't want to be depleting?

What is the relationship between pre- and post-natal jing? I sort of remember a post a while back but not enough to successfully find it. I have understood so far that one "ideally" just needs to be running off "enough" "chi" (i.e. food/air/...um, "chi") to avoid depleting any "jing" at all.

I'm such a n00b.

And is the "jing-chi-shen" cycle (yes, I reckon it's happening anyway :)) doing so based upon post, or pre-natal jing?

Do the 3 gates "work" if you're a girl? I can do them a bit. 2 of them are stronger than the others. But that's from MCO, maybe I've been doing it wrong (as usual :))

I know this might sound stupid. But is post-natal jing really the jing you want/need to retain?

I was considering this and I was wondering, isn't it pre-natal jing the "stuff" you don't want to be depleting?

What is the relationship between pre- and post-natal jing? I sort of remember a post a while back but not enough to successfully find it. I have understood so far that one "ideally" just needs to be running off "enough" "chi" (i.e. food/air/...um, "chi") to avoid depleting any "jing" at all.

I'm such a n00b.

And is the "jing-chi-shen" cycle (yes, I reckon it's happening anyway :)) doing so based upon post, or pre-natal jing?

Do the 3 gates "work" if you're a girl? I can do them a bit. 2 of them are stronger than the others. But that's from MCO, maybe I've been doing it wrong (as usual :))

What the doctors of old say is that spending too much post-natal Jing depletes the pre-natal stuff. Jing can also be depleted by stress and emotional outbursts, all sorts of "big spending" and can be somewhat replenished with Jing-containing foods and herbs.

The 3 gates should work about the same for a girl, though you don't really lose much essence during sex but during menstruation (this will be less if you're in good shape down there) and you can lose Qi in case your muscles get loose from not using them enough, which is common with elder women.

In his book, Daniel Reid points straight at Mantak and Maneewan Chia's book "Cultivating Female Sexual Energy".

Edited by King Kabalabhati

"spending too much post-natal Jing depletes the pre-natal stuff."

Wow, really? How??? I guess I can see that as plausible IF (and only if) one intends to send BOTH one's pre-natal AND one's post-natal jing down the line. Given what I know (sort of) understand about the effects of sheer living on one's DNA.

"The 3 gates should work about the same for a girl, though you don't really lose much essence during sex but during menstruation (this will be less if you're in good shape down there) and you can lose Qi in case your muscles get loose from not using them enough, which is common with elder women."

Ah, at last, an incentive, not that I needed one :P The real incentive is - um, the incentive you find if you try it B)

Nah, seriously, unless I do "menstruation-stopping" practices then there's not much I can do about that (here I find the irony of people trying to hook up with the "big dipper" when I'm perfectly "hooked up" with the Earth's closest "heavenly body" already, geez).

Forgive me, I'm always wary when a "practice" tells me not to do something. And if it does, it better replace that with something nice :)

"spending too much post-natal Jing depletes the pre-natal stuff."

Wow, really? How??? I guess I can see that as plausible IF (and only if) one intends to send BOTH one's pre-natal AND one's post-natal jing down the line. Given what I know (sort of) understand about the effects of sheer living on one's DNA.

"The 3 gates should work about the same for a girl, though you don't really lose much essence during sex but during menstruation (this will be less if you're in good shape down there) and you can lose Qi in case your muscles get loose from not using them enough, which is common with elder women."

Ah, at last, an incentive, not that I needed one :P The real incentive is - um, the incentive you find if you try it B)

Nah, seriously, unless I do "menstruation-stopping" practices then there's not much I can do about that (here I find the irony of people trying to hook up with the "big dipper" when I'm perfectly "hooked up" with the Earth's closest "heavenly body" already, geez).

Forgive me, I'm always wary when a "practice" tells me not to do something. And if it does, it better replace that with something nice :)

Weelll I admit this is just something I said in relation to this thread, meaning it's what I got out of these books we're talking about. Other than that I will never really know..