fiveelementtao

Wuji in Teutonic Spirituality

Wuji in the Teutonic Tradition

In Taoism we are taught that the highest state of being is that of Wuji (emptiness, limitless, Infinite) Wuji is the state of our original essence.

In my Teutonic practices, I frequently work with the Northern direction. In taoism, North is the direction of Water Element. In Tengerist shamanism, North is the direction of the warrior shaman. In taoist martial arts, North is the direction of the Dark Warrior who is also the spiritual Warrior who fights demons.

In the Teutonic tradition, North is the realm of Nifleheim (Mist World.) On the Teutonic World Tree, Nifleheim is one of the nine branches or worlds on the Tree of Life that supports the cosmos. Nifleheim is the source of the primordial waters that nourish all of creation.

In the North, I have placed the goddess Nerthuz who is the goddess of the waters and the goddess of death.

So, while meditating toward the North, I began to silently chant the name "Nerthuz," and I felt a prompting to work with the rune for Her name which is "Naught." It is the 10th Rune in the Elder Futhark, has the sound "N" and looks like an I with a slash through it.

The word Rune is translated as "secret" but I prefer the translation "whisper." When chanting any sound, whether it be runes, mantras or one of the six healing breaths, I find I get much more benefit from gently whispering than from audible sound.

I began silently chanting the sound "naught" toward the northerly realm of the waters over and over and I began to feel a deep, empty power of pure potential. There was the powerful sense of the chaos of pure unrealized potential. I felt myself being drawn into a swirling, chaotic force that invited me to allow myself to be dismantled into a state of No-thing-ness. I allowed my consciousness to venture into this empty power for as long as I could until it became so frightening, that I willed myself back into normal consciousness.

After my meditation, I did some more study into the rune "Naught." Runes are most commonly used for divination and so most of the meanings for each rune is based on the assumption that the person views the runic power from outside themselves. But, I have found that when I view the runes from the inside, that I get a different understanding of the power behind the symbol. In the case of Naught the rune is translated as "Need Fire." the symbol is representative of the two sticks used to start a fire. It is called "need" because one usually does not go through the hassle of rubbing two sticks together unless one needs to create warmth. So, need is representative of the need to innovate, to change, to learn. But as I was chanting "Naught" I began to understand another aspect of the rune as being the power of "Not."

The word "Naught" means nothing or No-thing. The etymology of Naught in English comes from two words "Na-Wight." Na is the proto germanic prefix of negation and the word Wight is the Old English word for "creature." In pre-christian times Wight was the word for any earth or elemental spirit. It has the connotation of any living entity. Wight carries with it the pre-christian Teutonic understanding that all beings whether "spiritual" or physical are natural parts of creation. They may only be shadows in our dimension, but the Teutons understood that there were multiple dimension on top of our world of "Middle Earth." So, the word Na-Wight actually means "No-Life" or "No-being" i.e., Wuji or Wu Ji, Wu-Qi.

Naught has taught me more about the concept of Wuji that has been so important to my taoist training. It is nice to see that these universal concepts are available to us all whatever our culture or language... If we dig deeply enough...

• Like 1

Wuji in the Teutonic Tradition

In Taoism we are taught that the highest state of being is that of Wuji (emptiness, limitless, Infinite) Wuji is the state of our original essence.

In my Teutonic practices, I frequently work with the Northern direction. In taoism, North is the direction of Water Element. In Tengerist shamanism, North is the direction of the warrior shaman. In taoist martial arts, North is the direction of the Dark Warrior who is also the spiritual Warrior who fights demons.

In the Teutonic tradition, North is the realm of Nifleheim (Mist World.) On the Teutonic World Tree, Nifleheim is one of the nine branches or worlds on the Tree of Life that supports the cosmos. Nifleheim is the source of the primordial waters that nourish all of creation.

In the North, I have placed the goddess Nerthuz who is the goddess of the waters and the goddess of death.

So, while meditating toward the North, I began to silently chant the name "Nerthuz," and I felt a prompting to work with the rune for Her name which is "Naught." It is the 10th Rune in the Elder Futhark, has the sound "N" and looks like an I with a slash through it.

The word Rune is translated as "secret" but I prefer the translation "whisper." When chanting any sound, whether it be runes, mantras or one of the six healing breaths, I find I get much more benefit from gently whispering than from audible sound.

I began silently chanting the sound "naught" toward the northerly realm of the waters over and over and I began to feel a deep, empty power of pure potential. There was the powerful sense of the chaos of pure unrealized potential. I felt myself being drawn into a swirling, chaotic force that invited me to allow myself to be dismantled into a state of No-thing-ness. I allowed my consciousness to venture into this empty power for as long as I could until it became so frightening, that I willed myself back into normal consciousness.

After my meditation, I did some more study into the rune "Naught." Runes are most commonly used for divination and so most of the meanings for each rune is based on the assumption that the person views the runic power from outside themselves. But, I have found that when I view the runes from the inside, that I get a different understanding of the power behind the symbol. In the case of Naught the rune is translated as "Need Fire." the symbol is representative of the two sticks used to start a fire. It is called "need" because one usually does not go through the hassle of rubbing two sticks together unless one needs to create warmth. So, need is representative of the need to innovate, to change, to learn. But as I was chanting "Naught" I began to understand another aspect of the rune as being the power of "Not."

The word "Naught" means nothing or No-thing. The etymology of Naught in English comes from two words "Na-Wight." Na is the proto germanic prefix of negation and the word Wight is the Old English word for "creature." In pre-christian times Wight was the word for any earth or elemental spirit. It has the connotation of any living entity. Wight carries with it the pre-christian Teutonic understanding that all beings whether "spiritual" or physical are natural parts of creation. They may only be shadows in our dimension, but the Teutons understood that there were multiple dimension on top of our world of "Middle Earth." So, the word Na-Wight actually means "No-Life" or "No-being" i.e., Wuji or Wu Ji, Wu-Qi.

Naught has taught me more about the concept of Wuji that has been so important to my taoist training. It is nice to see that these universal concepts are available to us all whatever our culture or language... If we dig deeply enough...

Fine essay - good to distil from the eclectic...

Very interesting and informative. Do you plan on doing more podcasts anytime soon? I really enjoyed the first 2

Thanks Tao Apprentice! Yes! I just finished a new podcast a few minutes ago.

http://thunderwizard.podbean.com/

It is ready on the podbean site but it will probably take a little while before it shows up on the thunder website or on itunes...

Hope you like it,

Mike

Hello Fiveelementtao,

It was an excellent essay, if I might add some things from my own experience. First the common consensus is that Tao can not be explained. Even then, people try to explain it and most people seem to lean towards the idea that it is neither nothing or something. Many people would say it is not-nothing, but not-something either. If you are meditating in an effort to achieve a state of not-nothing, simply saying nothing is going to create something. What I recommend is not saying anything and freeing your mind of thought, allowing it to be empty. When you can reach a state of silence, then you can reach that state of emptiness I think you are searching for. Even then, that alone does not bring someone an awareness of Tao. It seems to be a contradiction that only by learning can we un-learn, but it is also something most people who seem to have reached that state agree on. Most people hear the phrase "Be done with knowledge" and take it out of context, it is actually more like, "Be done with knowledge for the sake knowing". The more we learn without reason or simply to learn, the more we deviate from the actual Tao. It is only by accumulating that we can be rid of that which is accumulated and be empty.

Also one of the reasons people chant mantras and such is to focus the mind on the subject of the chant, in that regard, if one is chanting "fire" while meditating, there is good chance that they will begin to have an experience associated with fire. You are actually pointing yourself in the direction that you want to go. If you want to reach the state of Tao, there really is no direction to go, because it is where you are right now. That is the reason they say,

"Without going out of your door,

You can know the ways of the world.

Without peeping through your window,

You can see the Way of Heaven.

The farther you go,

The less you know.

Thus, the Sage knows without travelling,

Sees vithout looking,

And achieves without Ado." (1)

My suggestion is to try the form of meditation that I suggested, I call it empty mind meditation, abandon your thoughts and inclinations and just let everything go. Clear your mind of thoughts and you are an empty vessel, then you can understand what they mean by "an empty vessel is useful".

If you reach a state that causes you fear or where you feel overwhelmed, I would have to say that you have not reached Tao. When you reach s state where there is nothing, where on a very deep level everything seems to be as it should, then you are closer to the point you are looking for.

Aaron

(1) Tao Teh Ching, Chapter 47, Translated by John C. H. Wu

Edited by Twinner

Hello Fiveelementtao,

It was an excellent essay, if I might add some things from my own experience. First the common consensus is that Tao can not be explained. Even then, people try to explain it and most people seem to lean towards the idea that it is neither nothing or something. Many people would say it is not-nothing, but not-something either. If you are meditating in an effort to achieve a state of not-nothing, simply saying nothing is going to create something. What I recommend is not saying anything and freeing your mind of thought, allowing it to be empty. When you can reach a state of silence, then you can reach that state of emptiness I think you are searching for. Even then, that alone does not bring someone an awareness of Tao. It seems to be a contradiction that only by learning can we un-learn, but it is also something most people who seem to have reached that state agree on. Most people hear the phrase "Be done with knowledge" and take it out of context, it is actually more like, "Be done with knowledge for the sake knowing". The more we learn without reason or simply to learn, the more we deviate from the actual Tao. It is only by accumulating that we can be rid of that which is accumulated and be empty.

Also one of the reasons people chant mantras and such is to focus the mind on the subject of the chant, in that regard, if one is chanting "fire" while meditating, there is good chance that they will begin to have an experience associated with fire. You are actually pointing yourself in the direction that you want to go. If you want to reach the state of Tao, there really is no direction to go, because it is where you are right now. That is the reason they say,

"Without going out of your door,

You can know the ways of the world.

Without peeping through your window,

You can see the Way of Heaven.

The farther you go,

The less you know.

Thus, the Sage knows without travelling,

Sees vithout looking,

And achieves without Ado." (1)

My suggestion is to try the form of meditation that I suggested, I call it empty mind meditation, abandon your thoughts and inclinations and just let everything go. Clear your mind of thoughts and you are an empty vessel, then you can understand what they mean by "an empty vessel is useful".

If you reach a state that causes you fear or where you feel overwhelmed, I would have to say that you have not reached Tao. When you reach s state where there is nothing, where on a very deep level everything seems to be as it should, then you are closer to the point you are looking for.

Aaron

(1) Tao Teh Ching, Chapter 47, Translated by John C. H. Wu

Hi Aaron... Thanks for the advice... Very lofty stuff there... Also a little over my head for me... I'm not sure where your consensus is coming from. If you are referring to philosophical taoism, then we are in different camps. I come from traditional mystical, poytheist taoism. Traditional polytheist Taosim uses mantras ALOT. So, I am in good company there. So, I don't agree with your assertion that mantras are somehow beneath Taoism or Taoist meditataion. Also, I am not sharing a Taoist exercise, this is Teutonic shamanism, which may be different than what you practice. As this is also an ecclectic syncretic discussion forum, you will find alot of people sharing different spiritual practices and integrating them into their taoist practice. This is what I am sharing here...

You started your response with the idea of sharing your experience, which sounded very cool to me, because I love sharing experiences, but then you launched right into giving me advice... Which isn't experience... and sounded more like a judgement than a sharing of experience, and that was a let down...

I'm not trying to explain Tao. Nor am I trying to attain Tao. Nor am I trying to compete with anyone else. My focus here was on the concept of WuJi and my very limited experience of it. Wuji is a subject that many taoists do speak about and share about...

Since, I am not trying to achieve perfection, enlightenment or any other idea of perfection, I give myself the right to have any feelings and experiences that occur without judgement. Since I am not trying to understand, master or explain Tao, I now have freedom to have any experience and I don't spend any time wondering if I have attained Tao or not. I would volunteer the idea that judging someone as having or not having achieved Tao is in itself also not attaining Tao... Since as you put it, Tao cannot be named or described.

Since you offered me some advice, I will offer some to you in the spirit of reciprocity. I suggest against comparing yourself to others and I suggest against trying to compete with others. Allow them their own experiences and see if you can learn from them. If in fact, you find that you are indeed superior to them in spiritual understanding, perhaps allow them their limited experiences, seek some common ground and may be someday they will be able to rise to your level of understanding...

• Like 2

Hello Fiveelementaltao,

I'm sorry if I offended you. I've been practicing for many many years and I've had similar experiences, including studying Teutonic (Rosicrucian and Germanic) magic, Wicca, Qabbalism, the ancient book of the dead, etc. In fact in my youth I was very interested in those sorts of things. For the last eighteen years or so I've been practicing Taoism from a more simplistic perspective. The technique I suggested you try has worked for me in regards to what you were talking about, hence my suggestion. I am not trying to compete with you at all, if you are finding your study worthwhile, that's great. My input was meant to explain to you some things I've learned about meditation, mysticism, and such.

If you were offended, I apologize.

Aaron

edit- I also studied Native American religions for awhile. My grandfather was full blooded Passamoqouddy.

Edited by Twinner

Hello Fiveelementaltao,

I'm sorry if I offended you. I've been practicing for many many years and I've had similar experiences, including studying Teutonic (Rosicrucian and Germanic) magic, Wicca, Qabbalism, the ancient book of the dead, etc. In fact in my youth I was very interested in those sorts of things. For the last eighteen years or so I've been practicing Taoism from a more simplistic perspective. The technique I suggested you try has worked for me in regards to what you were talking about, hence my suggestion. I am not trying to compete with you at all, if you are finding your study worthwhile, that's great. My input was meant to explain to you some things I've learned about meditation, mysticism, and such.

If you were offended, I apologize.

Aaron

edit- I also studied Native American religions for awhile. My grandfather was full blooded Passamoqouddy.

Spoken like a true scholar and gentleman. I have had some bad history on this forum so I am very skittish sometimes.

Thanks for your kind words and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

• Like 1

Hello Five,

I hope you have a good holiday too. I also think that this thread touches on an important concept in Tao (and other spiritual schools) that of nothingness. I was also hoping to hear what others had to say about nothingness and how it relates in the grand scheme of things, especially in regards to other spiritual traditions outside of Taoism and Buddhism. Perhaps if we're lucky, someone might share with us their insight.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Hmmm, i can't say i've read massive amounts about runes etc but i have read some none the less. They seem similar to me as talismans. I think you're right in saying it's not the outside it's whats on the inside that counts.

(5 Element Tao) But, I have found that when I view the runes from the inside, that I get a different understanding of the power behind the symbol

I think a person can associate different runes with different feelings and use the runes as triggers to acheive enlightened states, or even just different states. I think it is a strong fire method. It's a bit similar to NLP's anchoring. You can use the rune or anchor as a stepping stone to a desired state. Whatever state you've been putting yourself into and the feeling you get, just double it, then double it again and keep on doubling it. It gets very strong. That should be a similar thing to what you're trying to achieve with the runes but you don't need to rely on the runes. You can choose to but you don't need to.

However i think it's more basic and infact better to go beyond runes or talismans so that you can go directly into those states. I mean how can you live in a meditative state if you need to keep the rune in your vision or even in your mind. If your talisman is lost or stolen how do you get into your meditative state then? I think it's best not to rely on anything physical, relying on a thought or word is better, but the best is being able to directly enter those different states at will.

No doubt they can all be powerful and perhaps even work well in times of stress. Because you are mixing physical with spiritual it becomes easier and stronger. But i think becuase of it's strength, powerfullness etc it then serves to work as a patch. When you get in trouble you patch it up with your rune or your NLP anchor etc.

Finally, with all the power of runes or these types of things, even though they can assist you or solve problems in your life, I don't think it's a way of perfecting your life. I think only that can be done by living in the wu wei. No clinging, no trying, only being.

To count with the ego is to count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

To count with a rune/anchor is to count 1, 2, 10

To count in the wu wei is to count 10. You are there already, it's effortless :)

I just thought of a good example.

When i was a little boy i had a teddy i loved, my grandmother bought for me. When i held it very tight i felt safe, happy.... i felt love. That is a talisman and that's what i believe people try to do with runes.

That was physical.

Runes are better they are mental creations, if i lost my teddy i lost my link. If you lose your rune you just write another one.

Imagine you didn't need anything. Imagine you didn't need your compass to point out to you which way north was so you could begin your meditations. You could already feel which way was north without even needing a compass. And moreover you already WHERE / ARE in a meditative state without ever needing to begin or end it. It's only the beginning of the possibilities and it only takes a little practice each day. Because it's so simple you can practice it all day every day and even when you're sleeping if you wanted. That is wu wei.

Of course it's not what everyone wants to do and everyone enjoys different things or has different motivations which draw them to different methods.... Just my mental mumblings

Hi Z00se,

You make some interesting observations. I find some of them quite insightful.

However, on the whole, it felt like a criticism of my experience. Kind of a bummer...

(Z00se)Finally, with all the power of runes or these types of things, even though they can assist you or solve problems in your life, I don't think it's a way of perfecting your life. I think only that can be done by living in the wu wei.

However i think it's more basic and infact better to go beyond runes or talismans

There's those value comparisons again... "Perfection... Better" I am not seeking perfection. Nor am I competing with anyone... Taoism to me is very inclusive. Words like perfection and better tend to exclude. I don't see Taoism as a practice of judging experience...

We are drifting again into comparisons. I'm really not interested in comparing religions or paths to see whose is better. I have no interest in going there.

But fundamentally, even from a Taoist perspective I would disagree with you on a few different levels. Traditional Taoism is a polytheist religion that uses many magical and mystical tools. One such tool is mantra. Another example is Talismanic Fu's. So, if I were simply to replace the word Rune in your posts with Mantra or Fu, (since Runes are indeed both mantra and Fu) you could be saying that Fu's and mantra are not valuable in Taoism. While you can certainly be a Taoist and hold on to that idea, you would be in the minority when it came to traditional Taoism.

As you point out, Runes are indeed Talismans. The written symbols are somewhat arbitrary symbols. But, the symbols are first and foremost symbols of actual sounds which are directly connected to eternal principles in the Universe. By chanting Runes (IME) it is much more than applying arbitrary qualities to a symbol. Just as the Six healing sounds in Taoist energy work stimulate different organs in the body regardless of whether we are consciously aware of them or not, Runes are sacred seed sounds that connect to infinite principles within the Universe...

I'm a little disappointed with some of these responses. I was really hoping for more discussion about emptiness, Wuji and the Void. I wasn't really looking for criticisms of my experiences. (sigh) Such is the "either/or" world of Taobums forum discussion...

Something else I would add is that I have been moving away from intellectual experiences for some time in favor of other types of mysticism. I woudl consider the idea of emptiness being void of emotion or sensation as being an intellectualized projection onto emptiness. This is why I love shamanism and mysticism in general. I find that alot of Westerners adopt eastern religions in an attempt to avoid negative feelings. I think that many have misunderstood emptiness from a skewed modern western perspective. For the traditional Taoist mystics I have trained with over the years, the idea of the Void was one of immense power. not one of stale emptiness, but one of indescribable experience... The emptiness of it makes it indescribable in words, but it is not stale unconsciousness

Anyway, I'm really not asking for critical analysis of my experience... I would however be VERY interested in hearing any others' experiences with the power of void in whatever spiritual context...

• Like 2

Ah i didn't mean to critizise i was just saying my opinion. I was trying to explain how i see runes fit into the tao and into the daily practice of improving life / mental state.

I don't see Taoism as a practice of judging experience...

Correct. I'm not living in the wu wei. I'm typing on a messageboard not just letting what happens happen. Just stating things without comparisons would be mindless mutter. I just feel comparing is providing insight into how i believe it works (Who knows if i'm right or not). Of course anything is part of the tao so it includes any and all disicplines you speak of. Perfection is an ideal but it doesn't mean it is acheiveable. Hermits living in caves may reach enlightenment but runes and talismans have been used by people living in civilization for a long time. NLP practicitioners (similar to using runes etc) use anchors to fix people of mental diseases and fobias and lots of other things. It is powerful and has more immediate use.

What i talk about is my thoughts and what is best for me and why i think so. Of course it's not necessarily whats best for you because i wouldn't know.

I have no idea of traditional religous taoism i have never studied it and don't intend to, i think it would lead me astray. I now prefer reading less and less about taoism things and realizing things for myself from the world around me. I think Since bringing my meditating into my every day life my realisation and understanding has increased 100 fold.

I think that many have misunderstood emptiness from a skewed modern western perspective. For the traditional Taoist mystics I have trained with over the years, the idea of the Void was one of immense power. not one of stale emptiness, but one of indescribable experience... The emptiness of it makes it indescribable in words, but it is not stale unconsciousness

Of course it's not stale nconsciousness it is unlimited potential because it has nothing blocking or filtering anything that could arise into the mind. If you are completely empty, the first thing that goes to your mind will have 100% of the focus and that is where the power is recognised because the greatest amount of work can be done most effectively. Before you have that single thought literally anything can come to mind. You don't have the preconception that an animal needs to breath air or that gravity exists. No anything is possible in your mind. Thats why it is undescribable, i believe primarily due to the limitless possibilities.

Before i got into taoism i was very interested in runes but i never found enough decent information about them. Good luck to you in your adventure with runes and i'd be keen to here back from you about how you went.

I'd also be keen to here your thoughts as apposed to mine as to your understanding of runes since you have studied them more. I'm more interested in your personal experiences/thoughts rather than what you've read in the books about how they're supposed to work. Reading too much of that can limit your experiences and because your brain is more full you have less 'limitless possibilities'. What do you really feel inside without trying to feel different things, just by listening and feeling. Do the different runes differ if you just start looking at them without reading the dialog below each rune. Later when you read the dialog, Do they feel the way others say they do or do you think are they individual feelings, different to each person?

Good luck again mate.

Edited to delete an accidental double quote

Edited by z00se

Hello FiveElementTao,

I enjoyed your writing, and the unfolding of aspects of the North and your practice with it. Poetic and evocative; I felt the north coming through as I was reading. Thankyou for sharing it.:) I dont know what I can add to your thread but I'd like to be here, so I will share some bits and pieces, we'll see what emerges..

Some time ago now I was with a taoist shaman and a group of friends and we were making music and dancing and there was a fire. Spontaneously I began dancing for the fire and felt seductive toward the fire and reverential and before I knew it, there was no me anymore and the most incredible force and power was there instead. The shaman saw what was happening and moved people out of the way..as the force took over there wasnt time to be frightened quite, but sure that amount of force and power isnt usually within a human frame and it wasnt something one would be likely to forget. The borderline when I was still there and being - I dont know what the word would be - obliterated?! Is an interesting margin,to say the least.

I was hot for years afterward! Other times in shamanic rituals or trance I have felt filled with super levels of energy and super extra expressiveness and still conscious but without boundary... other times still I have been overflowing with spirit and yet been able to know that others are not in the same expanded consciousness and therefore I have to hold a boundary or I will 'burn' them and they will be triggered into resistance and call me drunk or crazy..

So I'm talking about some experiences and I dont know if I am talking about the void. This is partly because of the word 'void' which unavoidably sets up an image of dearth ... when in fact what I am talking about is a surplus state, by human standards, where there is more than enough, a never ending source. From the elements and the unseen.

I was watching a documentary the other day called "The Oracle" which is about those within Tibetan Buddhism who get possessed by spirits of various deities, some large, some small, and are used within their communities as Oracles whilst in this state. It showed the Dalai lama with two Oracles in private consultation. It is quite something to see people being overtaken.

One of the questions in the film was 'what happens to the usual consciousness whilst in trance?' and to this there was no answer..

Other times I have fallen into a space in which everything is backwards and that makes perfect sense and in that space even though I am perceiving the mirror world, there is also no sense of me being who I am.

hey ho! Nearly Christmas!:P

Thanks Z00se,

I did not feel you were trying to be critical. I do understand the limitations of keyboards and I am not perfect there either. something about message forums seems to encourage left brain black/white type of responses even from those of us who in person would probably be more circumspect. I do appreciate your input. Since you asked my experience of Runes outside of books, I will share some.

The original 24 Runic symbols of the Elder Futhark, I believe are very ancient keys to human divinity through sound. The written symbols were probably adapted from other early alphabets early in the first century A.D. but I am convinced that the symbols are from a much older oral tradition. I spent alot of years working with sanskrit mantra and lots of years working with some Taoist mantra. But I was very impressed with the power of the six healing breaths in Taoist energy work. (many call them 'sounds' but the original text called them 'breaths' and were meant to be chanted silently with breath as whispers) When I began investigating the Teutonic tradition, I began using that same technique with Runic sounds and was blown away with the power of them ('Rune' means 'whisper'). I found I had to be very careful when whispering each Rune, because all kinds of stuff began happening in my life. I learned very quickly that these were not arbitrary sounds.

This began an even deeper investigation into the power of the English language. I found that when I applied runic understanding to normal everyday english words, THEY became powerful mantras. Because I saw that the Runes were an energetic template for the Teutonic languages. I THEN discovered that all language in it's original context was a means NOT just for verbal communication but actually a magical tool to manifest reality. All that was needed was to infuse them with breath power. As of now, my belief is that all languages in their original root sounds are gifts for humans to use to CREATE reality.

Roman historians wrote that Teutonic tribespeople used runic staves for divination as is still done today. So, that is one tradition that has survived. BUt I believe that this kind of divination was a layman technique. I believe that there was a deeper mystical tradition of breathing life into them and using them for manifestation and powerful meditation and even internal alchemy.

When I was studying sanskrit mantra, one of my teachers believed that there were certain languages that were energetic languages. He cited Sanskrit and Hebrew. The unspoken message was that English was not an energetic language good only for verbal communication. After this, I revisited his comment and realized that Hebrew and Sanskrit have an uninterrupted history of being used as magical. English on the other hand has 1400 year history of religious suppression by christianity to destroy the idea of magic in language. So, no wonder we in the West seek out other traditions with an unbroken history... And rightfully so, we need them to remind us of the magic in our own history and apply it to the present...

So, my experiment with Naught is one of many that the runes have introduced me to.

Anyone interested in experimenting with this kind of runic breath meditation, can use the technique I teach in the Huul video

That same technique of silently chanting while splitting breath between both nose and mouth will result in similar power in the chant...

I found it can be used with many words. IME, the closer the word is to the older versions of english, the more powerful they are which tells me that the older version of Teutonic languages are closer to the original root of sacred sound... I believe that working with each rune sound individually may 'activate' that sound which then can be used in combination with other rune sounds to create specific energy equations. So, the possibilities are endless. I think words are actually runic equations that when chanted properly actually CREATE the idea originally intended by the word. So, I think words were not arbitrarily created for communication but were discovered as pre-existing sound principles...

@cat,

That was a cool experience with Fire. Sounds like you are a Shaman! I am really finding a heretofore undiscovered level of personal fulfillment working with shamanic techniques. I believe shamanism is an integral part of spiritual practice that has been lost to many cultures over the years. It is as though it activates aspects of my DNA that were dormant... Very exciting stuff.

Edited by fiveelementtao
  • Like 1

Sounds pretty interesting....

When I was studying sanskrit mantra, one of my teachers believed that there were certain languages that were energetic languages. He cited Sanskrit and Hebrew. The unspoken message was that English was not an energetic language good only for verbal communication.

When i was learning pinyin, the romanization of the chinese language i found they had vowels similar to us. a o e i u u. The a o u are pronounced nearly the same as they are pronounced in english and they are vowels because every word has one. I learnt french at school but i couldn't remember if they had the same vowels or not. It would be interesting if all countries had similar vowels so that each word had common sounds regardless of language. That could have some link to energetics that go way back. Does anyone know any other languages?

Sounds pretty interesting....

When i was learning pinyin, the romanization of the chinese language i found they had vowels similar to us. a o e i u u. The a o u are pronounced nearly the same as they are pronounced in english and they are vowels because every word has one. I learnt french at school but i couldn't remember if they had the same vowels or not. It would be interesting if all countries had similar vowels so that each word had common sounds regardless of language. That could have some link to energetics that go way back. Does anyone know any other languages?

Funny you should mention the vowels. I have been working with those too.

I think the Five vowels are universal in pronunciation. In English we pronounce the english pronunciation of the the letters not the sounds (AY EE EYE OWE YOU) But IME experience with other languages the vowels are universally pronounced (AH AY EE OH OO). In my experiments with the vowels from a runic perspective, They are similar to the Five Elements

A (AH) Aethem/Wood,

E (Eh) Wind/Metal,

I (Ee) Fire,

O (Oh) Earth,

U (Oo) Water

A is like ethereal rising into the head, E feels like an expansion in the lungs, I Stimulates my triple burner, O is centered for me in the abdomen. U goes right out my heels into the Earth.

It has a different quality than the Taoist five healing breaths, But I am enjoying the process of investigation...

Of course there is a Rune for each letter which has it's own meaning. So, meditating on the sounds and exploring the runic symbolic meanings is alot of fun also...

• Like 1

Thanks Z00se,

I did not feel you were trying to be critical. I do understand the limitations of keyboards and I am not perfect there either. something about message forums seems to encourage left brain black/white type of responses even from those of us who in person would probably be more circumspect. I do appreciate your input. Since you asked my experience of Runes outside of books, I will share some.

The original 24 Runic symbols of the Elder Futhark, I believe are very ancient keys to human divinity through sound. The written symbols were probably adapted from other early alphabets early in the first century A.D. but I am convinced that the symbols are from a much older oral tradition. I spent alot of years working with sanskrit mantra and lots of years working with some Taoist mantra. But I was very impressed with the power of the six healing breaths in Taoist energy work. (many call them 'sounds' but the original text called them 'breaths' and were meant to be chanted silently with breath as whispers) When I began investigating the Teutonic tradition, I began using that same technique with Runic sounds and was blown away with the power of them ('Rune' means 'whisper'). I found I had to be very careful when whispering each Rune, because all kinds of stuff began happening in my life. I learned very quickly that these were not arbitrary sounds.

This began an even deeper investigation into the power of the English language. I found that when I applied runic understanding to normal everyday english words, THEY became powerful mantras. Because I saw that the Runes were an energetic template for the Teutonic languages. I THEN discovered that all language in it's original context was a means NOT just for verbal communication but actually a magical tool to manifest reality. All that was needed was to infuse them with breath power. As of now, my belief is that all languages in their original root sounds are gifts for humans to use to CREATE reality.

Roman historians wrote that Teutonic tribespeople used runic staves for divination as is still done today. So, that is one tradition that has survived. BUt I believe that this kind of divination was a layman technique. I believe that there was a deeper mystical tradition of breathing life into them and using them for manifestation and powerful meditation and even internal alchemy.

When I was studying sanskrit mantra, one of my teachers believed that there were certain languages that were energetic languages. He cited Sanskrit and Hebrew. The unspoken message was that English was not an energetic language good only for verbal communication. After this, I revisited his comment and realized that Hebrew and Sanskrit have an uninterrupted history of being used as magical. English on the other hand has 1400 year history of religious suppression by christianity to destroy the idea of magic in language. So, no wonder we in the West seek out other traditions with an unbroken history... And rightfully so, we need them to remind us of the magic in our own history and apply it to the present...

So, my experiment with Naught is one of many that the runes have introduced me to.

Anyone interested in experimenting with this kind of runic breath meditation, can use the technique I teach in the Huul video

That same technique of silently chanting while splitting breath between both nose and mouth will result in similar power in the chant...

I found it can be used with many words. IME, the closer the word is to the older versions of english, the more powerful they are which tells me that the older version of Teutonic languages are closer to the original root of sacred sound... I believe that working with each rune sound individually may 'activate' that sound which then can be used in combination with other rune sounds to create specific energy equations. So, the possibilities are endless. I think words are actually runic equations that when chanted properly actually CREATE the idea originally intended by the word. So, I think words were not arbitrarily created for communication but were discovered as pre-existing sound principles...

@cat,

That was a cool experience with Fire. Sounds like you are a Shaman! I am really finding a heretofore undiscovered level of personal fulfillment working with shamanic techniques. I believe shamanism is an integral part of spiritual practice that has been lost to many cultures over the years. It is as though it activates aspects of my DNA that were dormant... Very exciting stuff.

Do you think Bardon's work is related? In particular his "Key To The True Quaballah"

Edited by ralis

Do you think Bardon's work is related. In particular his "Key To The True Quaballah"

Hmm... I really can't say because I am not at all familiar with his work. I have been focusing on the Pre-Christian aspects of Teutonic spirituality. If I'm not mistaken, The Qaballah was adopted into European mysticism from Jewish mysticism in the middle ages... I could be wrong about that but, in any case, I have no knowledge of it. I would be interested in anyone's thoughts about it...

Hmm... I really can't say because I am not at all familiar with his work. I have been focusing on the Pre-Christian aspects of Teutonic spirituality. If I'm not mistaken, The Qaballah was adopted into European mysticism from Jewish mysticism in the middle ages... I could be wrong about that but, in any case, I have no knowledge of it. I would be interested in anyone's thoughts about it...

Which is the best source on the Runes?

I have read Dion Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah. Not an expert, just a seeker exploring what's out there. She did make the specific point that in the Hebrew tradition, "GOD" spoke things into existence. The utterance of words is very meaningful in the Qabalah. What you are discussing in the power of sound seems to have some universal resonance that has been understood by sages and shamans of many traditions going way, way back. Enjoying the thread.

Has anyone heard of the Nordic martial art based on the runes - Stav? Apparently there's postures based on the runes with different breathing patterns. Interesting stuff.

I think words are actually runic equations that when chanted properly actually CREATE the idea originally intended by the word. So, I think words were not arbitrarily created for communication but were discovered as pre-existing sound principles...

@cat,

hi! yes! I agree with you 100%.

Having been in love with reading and language since pre school age and a student and teacher of literature since then, as well as someone who has been recruited shamanically, I know that words are experience according to the degree which we let them in. (They are let in unconsciously and lots of damage + numbing done by unskilful use, of course, but here we are not speaking of that, or the shrinking of language respect and versatility equaling to the shrinking of range of humanity. Not for nothing do so many people feel quite unable to understand poetry of an exalted kind, or to read books other than journalistically, feeding only a information-eating tic, or indulging need for distraction with what EM Forster called 'low atavistic plot'..)

So I think you have it., it's a fascinating unfolding. A friend was saying to me that she had a vision of the pyramids being sounded into being. Makes sense, doesnt it. I think that most human communicating doesnt need to be verbal or said out loud. Interesting if you say a lot less and make sounds, sparingly and with intent.

Actually I am just reiterating what you have said!

Part of the realisation of this came to me after hearing my name chanted from a car radio. It wasnt 'really' on the car radio.. and I had to tune into why this aural glimpse was being gifted to me, and it is the sound of this manifestation that here is called 'me', which was in a process of great presence at that time, and 'heard itself.'

I used to study the Bible as literature, hearing the patchwork of voices and intent, and for me the most resonant phrase of the entirety was "in the beginning was the word. And the word was God." The world was spoken into existence or more accurately sounded into existence.

Really exciting stuff with the runes, thankyou so much for bringing this up.