Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Transmission

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive a manual or an automatic?

• stick all the way, baby
    • auto!!!

well, auto, but I'm not excited about it. Between needing to talk on the phone, look for directions, etc it just makes driving easier. Manual is much funner--go with that.

Stick. Because I love the feel of a nice hard shaft in my hands. :lol::mellow::unsure:

You've never rolled back on a hill and killed anyone? ;)

Auto .How am I supposed to talk to Yoda on my cell, drive and shift gears at the same time.

But deep down inside I know manual is cooler.

Camster

People do tell me that I drive as if I drove stick, since I always worry I'll roll back on hills anyway and I hit the gas when I go up and all, probably cos I rode a bike for so long before I started driving.

How often do you have to play switcheroo? You can just coast for a while unless you hit a stop sign, right?

In my country automatic gear is only for people with a disability.

So I have just voted stick all the way!

Bye

don't worry about rolling backwards, just use the handbrake if the hill is steep. You strike me as a manual woman, so honor that path. Also, Mrs Yoda doesn't know how to drive a manual, so that figures into it too.

it seems that the general consensus is that automatic is better socially, and manual is better for the driving experience. I think of you as being into the driving side of the equation.

it seems that the general consensus is that automatic is better socially, and manual is better for the driving experience. I think of you as being into the driving side of the equation.

Yeah, I see Lozen as a stick-shift gal as well. B)

I drive a manual 'cause that's the car I got. Manual definitely makes me feel more connected to the road, and it is a little safer (if you ever loose your brakes you can downshift). Oh, yeah, and it's usually better fuel milage too (especially when you like to coast like me :P ). But I gotta say I'm gettin' a little tired of shifting in traffic all the time, and if I had my druthers I think I'd get me an automatic where I can just stomp on the gas 'n go!

Norwegians all drive stick. Mostly because it's better for winter conditions.

But personally, I think stick has a vast range of advantages. Basically, I think driving stick shift can make your cultivation improve, and yes, if I dare say it, a better person.

1. It forces you to improve your simultaneous capacity.

2. It improves your presence of mind, because you are more involved in the present moment, and NOT doing other things like talking on the phone.

3. It makes you connect to the machinery you are operating

4. It improves your performance in the sack.

5. It's more environmentally friendly. i.e. you car uses less gas.

6. It will help your sense of timing in deep alchemical work.

Fan the fire.

h

PS. Stick is for driving, automatic is for transportation

I was thinking the act of balancing it would improve martial arts, but am interested in #4. More detail, please. ;)

I was thinking the act of balancing it would improve martial arts, but am interested in #4. More detail, please. ;)

Hmm. How shall I begin?

Driving shift will force both the consious and unconcious mind to engage in a play of polarities: both listening and engaging in the machinery (notice the analogy), and respond acutely and accurately. As such it induces an active/passive relation to the other into which a vast space of intricate and subtle interactions can play themselves out. In driving stick, you gain tacit knowledge about the internal workings of your partner/vehicle. And that is a prerequisite for proper timing, and ultimately for the quality of your ride. And we are all into quality, right?

Imagine the opposite. You just sit there and relate to your partner/car in a way that is totally domiated by the passive faith in going through the moves. You do the little minimum of engagement required to get from a to b, but you are not really involved with the process. As a consequence, there is no real interaction, as you trust the given apparatus/body will do the work for you.

So the short and practical version: You take charge instead of just goint through the moves.

Notive how I avoided all the obvious wordplay on "stick", "turn on" and "push the buttons".

h

I'm sorry I never learned to drive stick. If you can drive stick, you can drive almost anything, heavy machinery, lift trucks, vintage wheels, etc.

I don't think anyone even sells stick anymore in the city.

Michael

Michael is right.

If you learn to drive a stick you can drive anything

thus more options.

I prefer a stick.

Whenever I rent that's my preference.

Better gas mileage.

It becomes second nature.

I learn how to drive stick on Sunday. We are taking the car to my mechanic on Tuesday. :)

Edited by Lozen

I learn how to drive stick on Sunday. We are taking the car to my mechanic on Tuesday. :)

You know how I learned to drive stick? Wendy from Healing Dao discussion board taught me. Seriously.

I found it very hard until I went to one of those "how stuff works" websites and looked at an animation of a clutch. Then it all made sense. The rest is just practice.

Help!!! It won't switch gears once the engine is on!!

I got this little booklet that's supposed to teach you how to drive stick. The excercises are

1) memorize all the shifts so you can switch with your eyes closed (done)

2) get into first and find the catch point with just the clutch (but i can't get it into first!!!)

3) find the transition point between clutch and gas

4) do it in reverse

5) start on a hill

6) switch to other gears

But I CAN'T switch gears, eek!!!! It won't switch at all once the engine is on, it just stays in neutral!

Sign in to follow this