mantis

Becoming a student of Wang Liping

Is there a website that posts updates on seminars or retreats you can go to to become a student of Wang Liping? I know of the Lao Zi Academy but that website is everywhere all at once and kind of hard to navigate and understand, a lot of the links end up taking you to chinese text as well, which I cannot read.

I believe there are a few students of his on this forum, where would be the best place to start until you can meet Wang Liping? I'm assuming you should devote as much effort as you can to sitting in full lotus for as long as possible, since that seems to be what most people focus on when they write a review about their experiences.

What tends to be the average cost of a seminar/retreat? I'm young and trying to save as much as possible for my future, so this is somewhat important.

Thanks

Edited by mantis

Is there a website that posts updates on seminars or retreats you can go to to become a student of Wang Liping? I know of the Lao Zi Academy but that website is everywhere all at once and kind of hard to navigate and understand, a lot of the links end up taking you to chinese text as well, which I cannot read.

I believe there are a few students of his on this forum, where would be the best place to start until you can meet Wang Liping? I'm assuming you should devote as much effort as you can to sitting in full lotus for as long as possible, since that seems to be what most people focus on when they write a review about their experiences.

What tends to be the average cost of a seminar/retreat? I'm young and trying to save as much as possible for my future, so this is somewhat important.

Thanks

I just tried to visit there, it looks fine. All information is at http://laoziacademy.us/notice_online2.htm.

This is a recommendation from another thread:

2 hours Full lotus Yin Xan Fa per day.

At least 2 hours half Lotus.

This will show enough true seeker.

If you can do the things above you will also able to gather the money together

and the time.

If money is tight, then I would recommend finding out as much as you can on your own, and doing as much as you can on your own BEFORE you go to the seminar, that way you can soak up as much as possible when you get there, rather than "treading water" with things you could have figured out/done on your own for a lot less money.

Also, I dunno if you know of this blog: http://longmenpai.blogspot.com/ but yeah, that's all I got.

And search the forum for Yin Xian Fa, there's some interesting past threads.

[edit] Actually, you get better results doing a search through google, at least I do:

Tada!

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I just tried to visit there, it looks fine. All information is at http://laoziacademy.us/notice_online2.htm.
Yes, and you can also register here for some more interaction:

Longmen Pai Forums

Right now, there are periodic retreats in the US held by one of Master Wang's approved teachers, Kathy Li. They are VERY affordable.

There are also now online Q&A sessions directly with Master Wang too (see above link)...

Finally, there are also actual retreats with Master Wang in China...details are on the main website and are also posted here regularly.

And yes, this tradition trains the entire bodymind. It's not purely mental like many New Age methods. So as drewhempel says, "you can't fake the full-lotus!" :lol:

Edited by vortex

This is a recommendation from another thread:

If money is tight, then I would recommend finding out as much as you can on your own, and doing as much as you can on your own BEFORE you go to the seminar, that way you can soak up as much as possible when you get there, rather than "treading water" with things you could have figured out/done on your own for a lot less money.

Also, I dunno if you know of this blog: http://longmenpai.blogspot.com/ but yeah, that's all I got.

And search the forum for Yin Xian Fa, there's some interesting past threads.

[edit] Actually, you get better results doing a search through google, at least I do:

Tada!

I'll read through those threads and yeah, that's why I made this thread I want to learn as much as possible on my own before dropping coin on something I could have been practicing beforehand. Can you sit in full lotus? If so, what stretches did you do to develop it? Thanks.

Yes, and you can also register here for some more interaction:

Longmen Pai Forums

Right now, there are periodic retreats in the US held by one of Master Wang's approved teachers, Kathy Li. They are VERY affordable.

There are also now online Q&A sessions directly with Master Wang too (see above link)...

Finally, there are also actual retreats with Master Wang in China...details are on the main website and are also posted here regularly.

And yes, this tradition trains the entire bodymind. It's not purely mental like many New Age methods. So as drewhempel says, "you can't fake the full-lotus!" :lol:

That's pretty cool that you can have a 1 on 1 with Wang Liping although I doubt I'd have anything of substance to ask him, so a Kathy Li retreat seems the way to go (can't take off that much time to visit China).

It seems the full lotus is a pretty large focal point for people wishing to go down this road, I'm young and pretty flexible and my full lotus looks terrible. I'm pretty sure for whatever reason asians have a much easier time with it, though, as I have a Vietnamese coworker who is close to 50 and does it with no problem (no, he's not a health freak, doesn't stretch, smokes, etc.)

No excuses.

I'll read through those threads and yeah, that's why I made this thread I want to learn as much as possible on my own before dropping coin on something I could have been practicing beforehand. Can you sit in full lotus? If so, what stretches did you do to develop it? Thanks.

I used some stretches from this page.

some groups I know of:

Germany, Instructor is Qin Ling. http://www.dao-meditation.com/

China, Master Wang and several instructors. http://www.dao-de.org/

Russia, Master Wang, Qin Ling and Victor Xiao. http://www.tjq.ru/

USA, Kathy Li, Dr. Sun and Richard. http://www.laoziacademy.us/

Switzerland, at the moment just some students, but maybe next year Qin Ling is teaching. http://www.longmenpai.com/forum/

I can sit in full lotus but one of my knees comes up off of the floor, I am trying to mimic Wang Liping (I believe he folds his left foot first, then his right, but I imagine switching them often is best) but one of my knees comes up off of the floor, which isn't a good thing.

I keep trying to figure out why asians have such an easier time with this posture than we do and can do the "asian squat" whereas us westerners cannot (squat completely down until your butt is on your calves and maintain a completely upright posture, heels on the ground). I have larger than average thighs/buns and such from years of weightlifting which I imagine only complicate things even further.

I can sit in full lotus but one of my knees comes up off of the floor, I am trying to mimic Wang Liping (I believe he folds his left foot first, then his right, but I imagine switching them often is best) but one of my knees comes up off of the floor, which isn't a good thing.

I keep trying to figure out why asians have such an easier time with this posture than we do and can do the "asian squat" whereas us westerners cannot (squat completely down until your butt is on your calves and maintain a completely upright posture, heels on the ground). I have larger than average thighs/buns and such from years of weightlifting which I imagine only complicate things even further.

Being able to squat has to do with squatting when one goes to the toilet from an early age

which btw is much healthier. As asians are westernized and they get our plumbing

they can't squat for squat.

• Like 1

Being able to squat has to do with squatting when one goes to the toilet from an early age

which btw is much healthier. As asians are westernized and they get our plumbing

they can't squat for squat.

Not true. A coworker has been in the states for over 30 years and he can still do a squat that I cannot. He smokes, doesn't exercise, you get the drift.

If you are sitting flat on the floor, pulling your lotus tighter seems to inevitably lift one knee off the ground. And I'm not sure that this can be avoided - as it may be a biogeometric constraint?

TraceyBoundLotus1985.gif

As the hypothetical extreme case of this would somewhat resemble Gomukhasana "Cow Face Pose" - where one knee is actually on top of the other.

BASICS_206_Gomukhasana_248.jpg

People in full-lotus who have both knees on (or almost to) the ground are usually either not pulling it very tight with their knees fairly wide apart...

01_1.jpg

Or pulling it tighter but (I'm guessing) sitting on a zafu cushion, which then angles their knees down to the ground.

0-7645-5342-9_0810.jpg

Point being, it is difficult to pull your pose tight AND get both knees flat on the ground. Usually one or the other gives...although who knows - maybe you can do both???

Anyhow, this is just one area of preparation for serious neidan training. You also need to work on clearing out health issues/detoxing, emotional & personal issues, finding a sufficient income that allows you self-sufficiency and training expenses, freeing up sufficient practice time in your daily schedule, etc etc. If your life is in shambles and your heart is vexed - you really think you'll be able to sit and meditate with an empty mind & restful heart? If you're burdened by tons of past baggage, how can you move forward? So basically, you have to stabilize your life enough, tie up loose ends and carve out enough space to allow for a significant lifestyle change. This can easily take over a year or more... People often overlook all these pragmatic aspects - but every bit adds up to the whole in your life.

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

I didn't notice that Hindu guy was on a zafu - I guess that's why his full lotus looks so much better than me.

Anyhow, this is just one area of preparation for serious neidan training. You also need to work on clearing out health issues/detoxing, emotional & personal issues, finding a sufficient income that allows you self-sufficiency and training expenses, freeing up sufficient practice time in your daily schedule, etc etc. If your life is in shambles and your heart is vexed - you really think you'll be able to sit and meditate with an empty mind & restful heart? If you're burdened by tons of past baggage, how can you move forward? So basically, you have to stabilize your life enough, tie up loose ends and carve out enough space to allow for a significant lifestyle change. This can easily take over a year or more... People often overlook all these pragmatic aspects - but every bit adds up to the whole in your life.

And that may be the most important post you'll ever read about self-cultivation. . . .

• Like 1

^ Yup, it's kinda similar to trying to get a degree in college, no? Lots of practicalities & logistics to consider, in addition to just the work itself.

I didn't notice that Hindu guy was on a zafu - I guess that's why his full lotus looks so much better than me.
Hard to tell...but if not, that could be why his left hip is tilted down in order to force that knee to the ground.

I'm guessing that's not a good thing though - to curve your spine like that. So again, in a tight lotus - seems like something has to give. And one of your knees off the ground may be the least of evils there...

Edited by vortex