sean

The Kanda

Tonight I did a little research on an interesting area of subtle body anatomy described in Vedic texts called the kanda which is likely the Indian Yogi's equivalent to the Chinese Taoist's lower tan tien and the Japanese hara.

Sean

Wow..I need to definately take some time to read this carefully...but I had some initial observations..first is the word 'kanda'..i think the sounds of the words that are chosen are significant..tanden, hara, kanda,tantien..like relatives..

Also, this reference to a fibrous egg..and the location..could they be describing the prostrate gland?

T

Tonight I did a little research on an interesting area of subtle body anatomy described in Vedic texts called the kanda which is likely the Indian Yogi's equivalent to the Chinese Taoist's lower tan tien and the Japanese hara.

Still the inconsistency of the location of the kanda is striking

-at the place of the manipura chakra

-below the muladhara chakra (where is that??)

-at the muladhara chakra

-between the anus and the root of the reproductory organ (o.k. probably means muladhara chakra)

-12 inches above the anus

- at the cauda equina (reads more like mingmen to me here)

My impression is that the authors don't have much idea neither about the location nor the function and purpose of it. Looks like they stumbled about this in some ancient texts and go oops, well we haven't heard about that before, so let's integrate that into what we until now thought was the energetic structure layed out for kundalini yoga. I mean, is there any theory and practice in yoga that really makes use of kanda specifically? They fail to explain the difference or relation to the chakras more clearly. To me it looks like a reveberation of ancient knowledge and practice long forgotten in India but that developed and blossomed in China.

I would like to know though in what traditional texts (vedas?) it shows up. And I love the description of "shape of an egg and is covered with membranes" and "golden" . These stimulate my inner gazing nicely...

affenbrot

Also, this reference to a fibrous egg..and the location..could they be describing the prostrate gland?
Wow! Interesting thought, that never crossed my mind. I don't think the kanda is only found in men though, and I think it's a description of a feature of the subtle body. But in men perhaps the prostrate is intimately connected with the kanda.

Still the inconsistency of the location of the kanda is striking

Yes, I noticed this as well. Disappointing.

To me it looks like a reveberation of ancient knowledge and practice long forgotten in India but that developed and blossomed in China.

At this point I'm inclined to agree.

I would like to know though in what traditional texts (vedas?) it shows up.

I probably spoke too hastily in ascribing reference to the kanda in traditional vedic texts. The only references I could find to kanda in older texts was karma and jnanda kanda which is something different:

The vedas are conventionally divided into two portions: Karma Kanda

(work portion) and Jnana Kanda (Wisdom portion). The Karma Kanda (Samhitas,

Aranyakas and Brahmanas) deals with ceremonies and rituals. The Jnana Kanda

contains the wisdom of the Vedas. The Upanishads form the Jnana Kanda.

My guess is that the word kanda has several meanings, one of which is apparently just "portion" but I think it can also mean "root".

And I love the description of "shape of an egg and is covered with membranes" and "golden" . These stimulate my inner gazing nicely...

Me too! I love this image. Especially the sense of it being fibrous and having this beautiful thin energetic strands that flow from it as the entire nadi/meridian structure of the body.

Sean

Wow! Interesting thought, that never crossed my mind. I don't think the kanda is only found in men though, and I think it's a description of a feature of the subtle body. But in men perhaps the prostate is intimately connected with the kanda.

Sean

Yeah, I didn't have time to really write it out. I didn't mean it to exclude women, 'cause I think even though we are anatomically different once we are formed, the differences do correspond somewhat. So there should be something that corresponds to the prostate for the woman..perhaps the cervix area or Urethral Sponge (check it out just learned something) just guessing, don't have any good references handy..but i'm thinking along the lines of male/penis=female/clitoris, etc...

But thinking of the prostate gland (from the male perspective) tied in alot of chigung type practices that involve either concentrating on the huiyin area or breathing/pulsing it or using pressure mechanisms with breath and bandhas..also the association with Jing and sperm/fluids..something worth thinking more about IMO.

T

Edited by thaddeus

dspine.gif

So this image shows that the Spinal Cord ends at the door of life. Very interesting!

I guess the Kanda would equate with the door of life/hara/tantien. The kundalini, we say, is at the root of the spine, this are I consider from the adrenal point through the cocycx.

Subtle anatomy is very enlightening!!!!! It begs for more attention.

I would think Kanda is in the perinium point. It's not in the dantian.

What makes you say this Max? Curious.

What makes you say this Max? Curious.

A feeling- before I read what you posted I saw the point there. Plus all the descriptions except one point at that location.