Immortal4life

Rickson Gracie Yoga and energy breathing practice

From the documentary Choke. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master Rickson Gracie reveals his Yoga, kundalini breathing, and internal energy practices

Shorter version without music added-

Rickson Gracie Workout

Jiu Jitsu demo-

YouTube - Rickson and Royler Gracie BJJ Demonstration

Fights that prove that Jiu Jitsu skill defeats brute strength, size, weightlifting, and steroids-

edited: due to the lack of Christmas spirit in this thread

Edited by orb

All I wrote was that we get to see Rickson Gracie's personal Yoga practice. I made no claims about Gracie Jiu jitsu or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu's curriculum. However, we can see that Rickson does indeed incorporate his Jiu Jitsu and Yoga together.

Sure, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is clearly grappling and not much of a striking art. But it is definitely not common for a high level Jiu Jitsu fighter to be knocked out. The only time a BJJ fighter is ever knocked out is at a high level of competition, against a fighter who is an excellent striker, and who knows grappling, wrestling, or preferably Jiu Jitsu themselves as well.

A Jiu Jitsu fighter will beat a striker who doesnt know grappling every time.

Edited by Immortal4life

Not much needs to be said about the art of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and the Gracie familiy. Obviously their version of Jiu Jitsu has proven to be one of the most effective methods of fighting on the ground. It has also maintained it's relevancy into modern times while many martial arts have not maintained the importance or level they once did. Even still BJJ is at the heart and soul of MMA competition. Many people think of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as violent and brutal, and while of course it can be, the truth is it is very technical. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can also enable a smaller person to defeat a larger person.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Documentary-

ESPN piece- What is Gracie Jiu Jitsu?-

One of the largest organizations for Gracie Jiu Jitu is Gracie Barra, the system of Carlos Gracie Jr. A belt ranking in this system is recognized all over the world.

The logo shows the power of the shape of the triangle-

gb-company_offcial-logo-295x300.jpg

Gracie Barra, Armbar, attack, defend, and counter-

Triangle-

Bull Fighter Guard Pass-

Lapel Choke from Half Guard

Side Control to Back Choke

Reverse Choke with Reversal

Gracie Barra Advanced Class Spider Guard Training-

Gracie Barra Advanced Rolling

Advanced class-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWj6kUwjdoc

Gracie Barra Texas instructor Draculino sparring-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afW5YvXet3Q

Draculino Discusses Blue Belts -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUISHFs1H6Y

Competition training-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjVYMtWcJuM

Gracie Barra - live training at full speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CALGXmo6h0

Gracie Barra in competition-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmSVL2beeFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtcxV2oroY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWEco1KgS0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LB0FX-KrY

Draculino vs. Royler Gracie-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1uXWCuBhA

Edited by Immortal4life

even some judo takedowns in order to become a more efficient formula.

Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are related arts, so make no mistake BJJ has many takedowns and throws, it just doesnt emphasize them to the same degree as Judo, and its biggest strength is once the fight gets to the ground. Judo tries to finish the fight with a throw sometimes, BJJ doesnt try to do that as much and assumes that most of the time you can get the fight to the ground, even if you are the one who is thrown, and it wont necessarily be over.

10 minute video, demonstrating Judo techniques of the great Judo fighter Masahiko Kimura-

Masahiko Kimura - short documentary

26 Judo techniques-

Here is the famous fight where Kimura defeated Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master Helio Gracie, what a pass!-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPL2BFepgU

While true in many cases with normal martial artists, I would have to disagree with the "every time" quote. MMA fighters have little understanding about how to fight against a well trained internal martial artist.

I have never studied any kind of grappling. One of my good friends is a Machado BJJ black belt. He's also a certified instructor of Thai Boxing, Shotokan Karate Black belt and studied Wing Chun, Kali, escrima and Jeet kun do with Dan Inosanto for many years. He is Very well respected in MMA... He goes all over the world teaching BJJ and MMA. Back when I was training every day in Internal Taoist martial arts, he saw me practicing my forms (we were roommates) he came over to me and asked to spar. (He had always poo-pood any idea of internal Qi energy.) I told him in my art, we did not spar. Nevertheless, he insisted claiming that I couldn't hurt him. I said "OK, tell me when you're ready." He adopted a defensive posture and said "I'm ready." I let loose with a some combinations on his face, head and body. I was barely grazing him but letting enough qi energy into the body shots so he could feel it. He ended up covering up in a ball saying "Ok, Ok, I give I give." He then got up and said "how did you do that?" I shrugged and said that I was just grazing him. He said "No, seriously, how did you do that? I've never seen anything like that. I couldn't do anything!" I said. "That is internal kung fu."

Another friend of mine who was studying MMA a few years ago also wanted to spar with me. He was a big muscly guy who was very proud of his ability to take a punch. By then my energy had increased significantly. I told him again that in my art, we do not spar because it is too dangerous. You don't pull a gun unless you plan on shooting. he laughed and insisted that my "qi nonsense" wouldn't hurt him. I said, OK. He adopted a defensive posture and I tapped him very lightly on the forearm releasing some qi into his enormous forearm. His eyes welled up with tears, his face got very pale and he said, "no fair you hit a nerve center." I said, "yeah. I only gave you 5% energy. Wanna spar for real this time?" He declined and never asked to spar with me again.

One of my senior students was meeting with me and my previous teacher and he wanted to know if my teacher thought he could beat a grappler who had him in a full naked choke. My teacher told him to put him in whatever hold he wanted. So, my student got on his back and wrapped his legs around my teacher and got in a real deep naked choke. My teacher reached back and grabbed his thigh and shot some qi into him. My student was wriggling around and screaming trying to get away but couldn't because my teacher was on top of him... Very funny...

MMA is very good stuff against the average person. But, in my experience, it cannot compete with real internal martial arts. (which is not easy to find.)

there is the other aspect of mutliple opponents. It is important to remember that BJJ and MMA are designed for sport matches. On the street, in an alley with lots of broken glass, the last thing you want to do is roll around on the ground. But more often than not, you are fighting multiple opponents who may be armed. In that scenario, MMA is not very effective at all. Sure you might get the first guy in a hold, but, you have no way to defend from his buddy hitting you on the head with a beer bottle...

• Like 4

Allow me to preface this by saying that I am 100% dedicated to seeking out and training in the most real, applicable arts out there, be they spiritual disciplines or martial disciplines. When I was in my young teenage years, I trained karate very diligently for two hard years (I was doing knuckle push ups in my gravel drive way for fun because I wanted to condition my hands.... at age 14), and I really bought into the whole "a trained fighter will beat an untrained fighter easily" and things like that.

Then one day an older guy (around 20) comes in, and I spar with him, and he pretty much uses dirty boxing, nothing I had ever encountered before in karate, completely untrained by karate standards, and my teachers really chewed him out on his poor technique, but he beat the CRAP out of me that day. That's when I realized that all the work I had put into would have left me DEAD should I have had to use that in a real encounter, and the whole reason I studied martial arts was (at the time, though it's expanded a bit since then) for self defense, to defend myself and others.

So I'm all about finding the realest of the real arts, so please try and keep that in mind with the following comments...

While true in many cases with normal martial artists, I would have to disagree with the "every time" quote. MMA fighters have little understanding about how to fight against a well trained internal martial artist.

I have never studied any kind of grappling. One of my good friends is a Machado BJJ black belt. He's also a certified instructor of Thai Boxing, Shotokan Karate Black belt and studied Wing Chun, Kali, escrima and Jeet kun do with Dan Inosanto for many years. He is Very well respected in MMA... He goes all over the world teaching BJJ and MMA. Back when I was training every day in Internal Taoist martial arts, he saw me practicing my forms (we were roommates) he came over to me and asked to spar. (He had always poo-pood any idea of internal Qi energy.) I told him in my art, we did not spar. Nevertheless, he insisted claiming that I couldn't hurt him. I said "OK, tell me when you're ready." He adopted a defensive posture and said "I'm ready." I let loose with a some combinations on his face, head and body. I was barely grazing him but letting enough qi energy into the body shots so he could feel it. He ended up covering up in a ball saying "Ok, Ok, I give I give." He then got up and said "how did you do that?" I shrugged and said that I was just grazing him. He said "No, seriously, how did you do that? I've never seen anything like that. I couldn't do anything!" I said. "That is internal kung fu."

Would you mind giving the name of his person? Did he express any interest in learning this style which was so obviously superior to what he had studied? If he's very respected within MMA, would he corroborate this story, and would people believe him?

Another friend of mine who was studying MMA a few years ago also wanted to spar with me. He was a big muscly guy who was very proud of his ability to take a punch. By then my energy had increased significantly. I told him again that in my art, we do not spar because it is too dangerous. You don't pull a gun unless you plan on shooting. he laughed and insisted that my "qi nonsense" wouldn't hurt him. I said, OK. He adopted a defensive posture and I tapped him very lightly on the forearm releasing some qi into his enormous forearm. His eyes welled up with tears, his face got very pale and he said, "no fair you hit a nerve center." I said, "yeah. I only gave you 5% energy. Wanna spar for real this time?" He declined and never asked to spar with me again.

One of my senior students was meeting with me and my previous teacher and he wanted to know if my teacher thought he could beat a grappler who had him in a full naked choke. My teacher told him to put him in whatever hold he wanted. So, my student got on his back and wrapped his legs around my teacher and got in a real deep naked choke. My teacher reached back and grabbed his thigh and shot some qi into him. My student was wriggling around and screaming trying to get away but couldn't because my teacher was on top of him... Very funny...

Interesting.

MMA is very good stuff against the average person. But, in my experience, it cannot compete with real internal martial arts. (which is not easy to find.)

These are nice stories, did any of these people seek to learn from you or someone else? I find it hard to believe that someone who trains for so long and who suddenly sees an art which addresses a whole in their strategy DOESN'T immediately want to know more. We saw it happen with BJJ after UFC- fighters saw that there were significant gaps in ground game which could be exploited, and now, even if you are a primarily stand up fighter, you gotta have good ground fighting skills to be competitive.

Now you can make the argument that peoples' egos just wouldn't accept that they lost to qi, that they didn't want to admit that years of training hadn't done anything for them but.... I just don't really buy it. When I saw that my training was deficient, I went to address it. When professional fighters saw that their ground game was deficient, they went to address it.

I find it hard to believe that with some of these people, they didn't pursue it.

there is the other aspect of mutliple opponents. It is important to remember that BJJ and MMA are designed for sport matches. On the street, in an alley with lots of broken glass, the last thing you want to do is roll around on the ground. But more often than not, you are fighting multiple opponents who may be armed. In that scenario, MMA is not very effective at all. Sure you might get the first guy in a hold, but, you have no way to defend from his buddy hitting you on the head with a beer bottle...

These kinds of statements always make me chuckle. You have to be able to judge the situation.

I've been in a fight where there was a guy who was seriously more muscular than me, but didn't know how to fight. He goes in, head down, and starts swinging. He pushes me up against a wall, so what do I do? I wrap my arm around his neck, roll down onto my back, and put him in a guillotine choke and he's passed out in seconds. I roll him off of me, and walk away. His buddies who saw the fight were like, "wtf was that?" and I was out of there before they even knew what was happening (they thought their friend was going to win quickly).

Point is, I saw an opportunity to finish a fight in seconds, as opposed to trade blows with him and have his friends come in and help him out if it looked like he was going to lose. There wasn't any broken glass around. They didn't all jump at me. I had to make a decision. If it looked like they were more eager to fight me, I wouldn't have done what I did. If it looked like a rough ground, I wouldn't have done that.

But seeing as how I ended the "fight" in a couple of seconds, and didn't have any noticeable injuries after that, I'd say my rudimentary knowledge of BJJ really came in handy.

Of course, knowing a qi martial art that legitimately works would be my preference, because honestly he was a lot more muscular than me, and it's not that I think I'm that weak, it's just I don't work out nearly as much as some of these other guys, and having a defense against someone who is significantly stronger than you is, I would consider, a part of self defense that needs to be addressed.

And if a qi martial art is a legitimate alternative, then I'd like to explore that.

However, MMA has done a lot for the martial arts community in terms of creating accountability. Yes, there are rules. There's no broken glass or multiple opponents or knives or guns. But when it comes to two people facing off.... well there ya go. Even the internal martial arts have, historically, proven their stuff in a public fighting arena.

I just find it weird that people with such a superior art (qi based martial arts) who are so committed to spreading an art, have not taken it to at least a semi-professional outlet. You don't even have to fight, all you gotta do is say, "I'll touch you and you'll go down!" and just accept all challengers. Just gotta be a touch. But "one touch and you'll want to stop" or "a few grazes and you'll go down".

The more guys you do this to, the more people hear about it, the higher up it'll get, and pretty soon you'll run into guys like Brock Lesnar, and then you'll have successfully changed the world of martial arts.

Not to mention science!

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Would you mind giving the name of his person? Did he express any interest in learning this style which was so obviously superior to what he had studied?

I would not feel comfortable giving out his name in any kind of public way. With all the crap that happened on this forum with me, max and my ex-teacher, I will not give out anyone's name on this forum again.

To answer the second half of the question. I told him I would teach him if he wanted, but he seemed very uncomfortable with the Qi aspect of the art. In my experience, some guys who have done alot of training in external martial arts have a difficult time changing body habits to be able to allow energy to flow. It is a complete 180 degree shift in mentality and many cannot make this change. Instead, though what he did was to go back and study his Kali and escrima because he saw similarities in my style and those. He told me later that the experience shocked him so much that he wanted to make sure he would never be overhwmelmed by an opponent's speed again and that is why he redoubled his striking training...

These are nice stories, did any of these people seek to learn from you or someone else? I find it hard to believe that someone who trains for so long and who suddenly sees an art which addresses a whole in their strategy DOESN'T immediately want to know more. We saw it happen with BJJ after UFC- fighters saw that there were significant gaps in ground game which could be exploited, and now, even if you are a primarily stand up fighter, you gotta have good ground fighting skills to be competitive.

I understand what you mean. This was my reaction also. In each of these scenarios I mentioned, I suggested they train with me or my teacher, but they always refused. I came to find out later that it was because the type of energy they felt freaked them out. In class when newbies have come in and they feel the energy for the first time, some people have very powerful experiences. A couple times I've seen people who only got a modest jolt of energy, begin weeping etc.. One guy passed out and relived his childhood. (we thought we were going to have to take him the ER. Thankfully he came out of it.) So, I came to learn that the energy itself can really mess with peoples' view of reality. The energy of this art is wierd. there is not only very real physical pain, but because it is spirit fighting energy, many times spiritual and emotional issues are brought to the surface and this is a very strange feeling. The first time I was hit, I wanted to run out of the room screaming like a little girl. LOL

Now you can make the argument that peoples' egos just wouldn't accept that they lost to qi, that they didn't want to admit that years of training hadn't done anything for them but.... I just don't really buy it. When I saw that my training was deficient, I went to address it. When professional fighters saw that their ground game was deficient, they went to address it.

I understand, this was my confusion also... I completely understand if people think I am full of it. I would have thought the same had I not experienced it myself...

I find it hard to believe that with some of these people, they didn't pursue it.

Some people I met did. but they were already interested in the spiritual aspect of the art. IME, people who rely very heavily on their physical strength are too freaked out by the energy. another important aspect that I didn't really mention is that the art I practice was also used for fighting evil spirits. As such, the forms when done correctly, are extremely harsh on the spirit psyche. In order to really learn the art, there can be a very devastating blow to the ego and the way one's reality is viewed. This drives 95% 0f all students away in the first week because it can be emotionally painful and frightening. Ironically, the big, tough muscly guys are the first to quit...

I've been in a fight where there was a guy who was seriously more muscular than me, but didn't know how to fight. He goes in, head down, and starts swinging. He pushes me up against a wall, so what do I do? I wrap my arm around his neck, roll down onto my back, and put him in a guillotine choke and he's passed out in seconds. I roll him off of me, and walk away. His buddies who saw the fight were like, "wtf was that?" and I was out of there before they even knew what was happening (they thought their friend was going to win quickly).

Point is, I saw an opportunity to finish a fight in seconds, as opposed to trade blows with him and have his friends come in and help him out if it looked like he was going to lose. There wasn't any broken glass around. They didn't all jump at me. I had to make a decision. If it looked like they were more eager to fight me, I wouldn't have done what I did. If it looked like a rough ground, I wouldn't have done that.

But seeing as how I ended the "fight" in a couple of seconds, and didn't have any noticeable injuries after that, I'd say my rudimentary knowledge of BJJ really came in handy.

good point. sounds like your art was very helpful in that situation. My apologies for my blanket generalized statement...

• Like 4

I would not feel comfortable giving out his name in any kind of public way. With all the crap that happened on this forum with me, max and my ex-teacher, I will not give out anyone's name on this forum again.

To answer the second half of the question. I told him I would teach him if he wanted, but he seemed very uncomfortable with the Qi aspect of the art. In my experience, some guys who have done alot of training in external martial arts have a difficult time changing body habits to be able to allow energy to flow. It is a complete 180 degree shift in mentality and many cannot make this change. Instead, though what he did was to go back and study his Kali and escrima because he saw similarities in my style and those. He told me later that the experience shocked him so much that he wanted to make sure he would never be overhwmelmed by an opponent's speed again and that is why he redoubled his striking training...

I understand what you mean. This was my reaction also. In each of these scenarios I mentioned, I suggested they train with me or my teacher, but they always refused. I came to find out later that it was because the type of energy they felt freaked them out. In class when newbies have come in and they feel the energy for the first time, some people have very powerful experiences. A couple times I've seen people who only got a modest jolt of energy, begin weeping etc.. One guy passed out and relived his childhood. (we thought we were going to have to take him the ER. Thankfully he came out of it.) So, I came to learn that the energy itself can really mess with peoples' view of reality. The energy of this art is wierd. there is not only very real physical pain, but because it is spirit fighting energy, many times spiritual and emotional issues are brought to the surface and this is a very strange feeling. The first time I was hit, I wanted to run out of the room screaming like a little girl. LOL

Some people I met did. but they were already interested in the spiritual aspect of the art. IME, people who rely very heavily on their physical strength are too freaked out by the energy. another important aspect that I didn't really mention is that the art I practice was also used for fighting evil spirits. As such, the forms when done correctly, are extremely harsh on the spirit psyche. In order to really learn the art, there can be a very devastating blow to the ego and the way one's reality is viewed. This drives 95% 0f all students away in the first week because it can be emotionally painful and frightening. Ironically, the big, tough muscly guys are the first to quit...

Nice insights!

If you don't mind my asking, what art do you practice? Who did you learn from? Is it connected to the martial arts you teach in your Thunder Wizard path?

good point. sounds like your art was very helpful in that situation. My apologies for my blanket generalized statement...

No worries! You did raise legitimate concerns, and they are an important aspect of real fighting/self defense that is not addressed if you just train in an MMA situation.

Nice insights!

If you don't mind my asking, what art do you practice? Who did you learn from?

It is a temple style martial art that (according to the grandmaster) was a secret style taught on one of the Taoist Mountains. According to some of my personal research, I believe the art may have connections to some very old Hakka Style Hei Kung martial arts that were incorporated into one of the "Sorcery" Taoist sects.

For the reasons I stated earlier, I prefer not to mention any names.

Is it connected to the martial arts you teach in your Thunder Wizard path?

Yes, I have incorporated the martial art into my other teachings.

Edited by fiveelementtao
  • Like 2

It is a temple style martial art that (according to the grandmaster) was a secret style taught on one of the Taoist Mountains. According to some of my personal research, I believe the art may have connections to some very old Hakka Style Hei Kung martial arts that were incorporated into one of the "Sorcery" Taoist sects.

For the reasons I stated earlier, I prefer not to mention any names.

Yes, I have incorporated the martial art into my other teachings.

I see, thanks.

From the documentary Choke. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master Rickson Gracie reveals his Yoga, kundalini breathing, and internal energy practices

Shorter version without music added-

Rickson Gracie Workout

Jiu Jitsu demo-

YouTube - Rickson and Royler Gracie BJJ Demonstration

Fights that prove that Jiu Jitsu skill defeats brute strength, size, weightlifting, and steroids-

Yeah at 03:10 First video Breath of Fire!

My wife recognized this immediately we saw the film about 18 months ago... so inspiring

Thanks for the jump start!

It is important to remember that BJJ and MMA are designed for sport matches.

MMA perhaps, BJJ no. BJJ contains both sport and self defense training. In BJJ self defense, weapons and multiple attackers are considered and trained for.

On the street, in an alley with lots of broken glass, the last thing you want to do is roll around on the ground.

Where the fight goes may not always be your choice. Especially if fighting someone strong, skilled, or multiple people. If you are on the ground, Jiu Jitsu can only help you, in the street or the ring. Also, grappling has value standing up, takedowns, throws, and clinching/stand up grappling.

The fact also remains, even chinese internal martial arts such as Tai chi and Bagua incorporate a lot of grappling and Schuai Chiao. Why would they do this is they could just win fights with "dim mak" and things like that?

But more often than not, you are fighting multiple opponents who may be armed.

The more serious the challenge, the more broad of a skillset you need. There are no techniques that are 100% effective all the time against everyone.

Edited by Immortal4life

Guest sykkelpump

LOl,only on taobums.

Yeah at 03:10 First video Breath of Fire!

My wife recognized this immediately we saw the film about 18 months ago... so inspiring

Thanks for the jump start!

B)

Definitely Yoga that Rickson is doing. Yet it's so cool because it really is mixed in with Jiu Jitsu movements, especially on the beach.

It's Yoga and Jiu Jitsu combined, which I find really cool.

Threatened some sacred cows did I? I suggest that before flying off the handle read my post again in context.

MMA perhaps, BJJ no. BJJ contains both sport and self defense training. In BJJ self defense, weapons and multiple attackers are considered and trained for.

My quote about not wanting to roll around on the ground in an alley fight was a direct quote from my BJJ instructor friend. (who by the way is also a special forces marine). He was the guy who constantly warns his students that BJJ in terms of street self defense is only a tool. according to him, BJJ on the ground in the street against a guy with a knife or someone who bites, scratches, fishhooks, multiple opponents, etc... is not invincible. I am not trying to discredit or discount BJJ and MMA. My input on this thread was in response to your blanket statement quote that said

If you read my post I never said a BJJ fighter will never beat a striker. clearly they do most of the time. I simply was stating that I didn't agree with the "every time" quote. This is so typical of Taobums, people react emotionally and out of context. The only other statement I made was that "In My experience, most MMA, BJJ (or for that matter most external martial artists) do not know how to effectively defend against a well trained internal martial artist." And then I shared my experiences with MMA and BJJers who had zero ability to defend against me. I did not say anything else except what I myself experienced.

Where the fight goes may not always be your choice.

my point exactly. A real life fight is not going to be in a padded ring. If that's all someone trains for they will get their ass kicked against a skilled street fighter who knows how to fight in HIS environment. Go into downtown L.A. with only your bjj skills and pick a fight with a group of homeboys with street fighting experience and tell me how that works out for you.

If you are on the ground, Jiu Jitsu can only help you, in the street or the ring.

You are making my point again with using the word "only."

It may help. But it also may hurt you. C'mon, let's get serious.... There are very many real possibilities where wrestling a guy on the ground can get you killed if you have no other skills.

The fact also remains, even chinese internal martial arts such as Tai chi and Bagua incorporate a lot of grappling and Schuai Chiao. Why would they do this is they could just win fights with "dim mak" and things like that?

Because grappling skills are very effective tools. I never said otherwise... Again I only said I did not agree with your statement that a bjjer will beat a non-grappling striker "every time."

Listen, I've been around for awhile. When I was a kid, Bruce Lee came on the scene and revolutionized fighting. Everyone wanted to study karate and thought karate was invincible. Then came the "kung Fu" tv series and everyone wanted to study shao lin. Then came the gracies who kicked all the traditional Martial artists. Then came the Western Wrestlers who kicked the crap out of the gracies.

The point I am trying to make is there is NO perfect system. Whoever is on top now, will eventually become too specialized and then someone will capitalize on their weaknesses. and now, today people want to worship MMA and say it is unbeatable.

The more serious the challenge, the more broad of a skillset you need. There are no techniques that are 100% effective all the time against everyone.

That is my point exactly...

Guest sykkelpump

Threatened some sacred cows did I? I suggest that before flying off the handle read my post again in context.

My quote about not wanting to roll around on the ground in an alley fight was a direct quote from my BJJ instructor friend. (who by the way is also a special forces marine). He was the guy who constantly warns his students that BJJ in terms of street self defense is only a tool. according to him, BJJ on the ground in the street against a guy with a knife or someone who bites, scratches, fishhooks, multiple opponents, etc... is not invincible. I am not trying to discredit or discount BJJ and MMA. My input on this thread was in response to your blanket statement quote that said

If you read my post I never said a BJJ fighter will never beat a striker. clearly they do most of the time. I simply was stating that I didn't agree with the "every time" quote. This is so typical of Taobums, people react emotionally and out of context. The only other statement I made was that "In My experience, most MMA, BJJ (or for that matter most external martial artists) do not know how to effectively defend against a well trained internal martial artist." And then I shared my experiences with MMA and BJJers who had zero ability to defend against me. I did not say anything else except what I myself experienced.

my point exactly. A real life fight is not going to be in a padded ring. If that's all someone trains for they will get their ass kicked against a skilled street fighter who knows how to fight in HIS environment. Go into downtown L.A. with only your bjj skills and pick a fight with a group of homeboys with street fighting experience and tell me how that works out for you.

You are making my point again with using the word "only."

It may help. But it also may hurt you. C'mon, let's get serious.... There are very many real possibilities where wrestling a guy on the ground can get you killed if you have no other skills.

Because grappling skills are very effective tools. I never said otherwise... Again I only said I did not agree with your statement that a bjjer will beat a non-grappling striker "every time."

Listen, I've been around for awhile. When I was a kid, Bruce Lee came on the scene and revolutionized fighting. Everyone wanted to study karate and thought karate was invincible. Then came the "kung Fu" tv series and everyone wanted to study shao lin. Then came the gracies who kicked all the traditional Martial artists. Then came the Western Wrestlers who kicked the crap out of the gracies.

The point I am trying to make is there is NO perfect system. Whoever is on top now, will eventually become too specialized and then someone will capitalize on their weaknesses. and now, today people want to worship MMA and say it is unbeatable.

That is my point exactly...

You have misunderstood a lot if you think MMA is a system.That is exactly what makes it effective,it is not a system.It is based on Sparring a RESISTING opponent and with very few rules/limitations

You have misunderstood a lot if you think MMA is a system.That is exactly what makes it effective,it is not a system.It is based on Sparring a RESISTING opponent and with very few rules/limitations

What is your point? I never called it a system... what perceived threat are you trying to defend against here? I have said repeatedly that MMA is very effective... My only point is that it is not invincible. What does that have to do with whether or not MMA is or is not a system? Again my only point was that I do not believe the blanket statement that a BJJr will beat a striker "every time." What about that statement specifically do you want to argue with me about?

• Like 1

Guest sykkelpump

His abdominal breath-work is impressive.

Yes,I think Rickson did a lot of Yoga and meditation.He also look very healthy for his age.

Im reacting emotionally?

I never thought of Jiu Jitsu as being sacred....

I am simply going to state my points a simply as I can......

1. A good wrestler/grappler will beat a good boxer/stirker

2. Grappling has a lot of value in the ring or the street

3. Real fighting, and real internal martial arts for that matter, have nothing to do with dim mak, empty force, and all those types of tricks

4. No fighter, or martial art technique, is invincible

Edited by Immortal4life