Aaron

The purpose...

Greetings..

HI Twinner: For many years i have found the following to be consistent and without valid contradiction, it is very similar to your conclusion..

The One became many (we/us/Life), so it could experience its own existence.. Experience is the purpose.

Be well..

That's exactly it TzuJanLi... Thank you.

Aaron

Well I tried. Obviously you're not ready for simplicity, it's all a bit too little to reconcile everything you've been told. I would however recommend rather than dismissing it, that you try it first. After all I'm not promising you enlightenment or an end to rebirth, rather simply a moment of true, unadulterated, joy. I'm sure Buddha wont send you to hell for that. Afterwards if you still feel the need to be enlightened, then go for it, nothing wrong with that.

Aaron

Here you go, a pat on the back, rather than a discussion-

GREAT post, really liked it! It resonated very well with me and my life. I really like the description you had about the ice cream part. Children really do enjoy each new experience for what it is. One of the best posts I've seen. I think I'm going to give your post another plus point!

[edit] I gave myself a plus point here because I've been wondering if I could, so I tried, and I did, so yeah, learn something new every day :P

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 1

Vortex addresses some of the stuff I was hinting at with my response-

In trying to cope with something, people often come up with a purpose. "I am suffering... why, there must be a purpose, I can't be suffering for no reason... I know, it must be my karma! That makes sense, I deserve it." or, "why can't I find true love? Maybe that's not God's plan for me, that must be it, I know, I'll go become a celibate monk."

Or maybe they kick around many different ideas, but realize, "oh wow, the purpose of life is to live! Yay! Just be present, enjoy the moment, no strings attached! Whoopee!" (not saying you necessarily say/think all of those things, but I for one have seen it happen in that way, and it's representative of a more general concept).

So I'm saying to ask yourself why you need a purpose- is it because you aren't happy? Is it because you don't have what you want out of life? Well what is it you want out of life? Why are you not getting it? Why are you trying to come up with a purpose? To make an excuse?

Do you gain an excuse by having a purpose? Do you lose the ability to make an excuse if you have a purpose, but don't fulfill it? Do you gain freedom by not having a purpose? Do you lose freedom by having a purpose? Who gives this purpose? Etc etc.

I feel like some people freak out when they don't get answers in the form they expected...

Perhaps you should look more closely at what people have been writing, and look more closely at your preconceived notions, examine why you are feeling what you feel when reading posts that you think "don't fit", or are "not what you're talking about".

Maybe they are? Maybe these people really DO just want to hear themselves talk? Maybe you have done a poor job in conveying your meaning? Maybe you just don't want to hear anything which does not conform to your mental package of what a TTB response looks like?

Hello Sloppy Zhang,

I see you are not quite ready for what I have to offer you. I hope you find peace and joy in your life. :)

Aaron

Hello Sloppy Zhang,

I see you are not quite ready for what I have to offer you. I hope you find peace and joy in your life. :)

Aaron

I prefer to look at the mechanisms behind things, rather than just the things themselves.

If someone says, "the purpose of life is to live", or "there is no purpose to life," or "there is a God who loves us" or "there is no God", I'm less concerned with examining their conclusion and debating its validity than I am with understanding the underlying mechanisms and thought processes that lead people to those conclusions. Because anyone can say, "well there is a God and I know there is because I believe it and no I can't prove it to you so you're just gonna have to take my word for it" and there will really be nothing to talk about, because we're just talking about peoples' beliefs. But if you start looking at, "what does a presence/absence of God/purpose do? How do people influence/are influenced by such things?" THAT is something you can explore and have a real discussion about.

Why do people find a need to have a purpose? There may not be any inherent "purpose" (even if it's just "to live", "to experience" or whatever), but the fact that you even chose to title your thread "the purpose" means that concept, "purpose", makes a big deal- if not to you, then at least to other people (which may be why you decided to "trick" us into the thread).

Regardless, "purpose" plays a big role, whether you think there is one or not, and I find it interesting that such a discussion is even on the table, and that it has been "on the table" since (most likely) the origin of humankind.

But if you don't want to have this discussion, you don't have to.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Well I tried. Obviously you're not ready for simplicity, it's all a bit too little to reconcile everything you've been told. I would however recommend rather than dismissing it, that you try it first. After all I'm not promising you enlightenment or an end to rebirth, rather simply a moment of true, unadulterated, joy. I'm sure Buddha wont send you to hell for that. Afterwards if you still feel the need to be enlightened, then go for it, nothing wrong with that.

Aaron

Some people have the tendency to see the word Buddha or -ism and run into a pre-conceptual field of dogma in their mind.

I've experienced bliss and bliss realms far deeper than even those that can be realized here on Earth, but I've also experienced this here on Earth. That is one of the side effects of the 8 fold path, deep and relaxed peace and bliss. This is one of the basis' for wisdom. We cultivate this blissful perception as part of the practice.

In fact, if you understand what dependent origination/emptiness means, the only natural inner response is unadulterated bliss and freedom!

edit: "Since everything is but an apparition, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter"

-Longchenpa

Edited by Vajrahridaya

[edit] I gave myself a plus point here because I've been wondering if I could, so I tried, and I did, so yeah, learn something new every day :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello SZ,

No I don't want to have the discussion, but thanks for your offer.

Hell Vaj,

I would just recommend that you not mistake religion for spirituality. The former may ease your conscience, but it will never release you from your pain.

Aaron

.... so .... all of this banter and discussion when the main point of this thread was to basically state something that's been said many times about living life, "Just be." Way to go reinventing the wheel that's already been discovered, built, and studied countless numbers of times in all kinds of contexts. While I'm not saying that someone is not entitled to having their own realization moments, this is probably one of those that should go in one's own repretoire rather than something used to provoke reaction by others in the world.

• Like 1

Hello SZ,

No I don't want to have the discussion, but thanks for your offer.

Hell Vaj,

I would just recommend that you not mistake religion for spirituality. The former may ease your conscience, but it will never release you from your pain.

Aaron

Buddhism is not a religion for me, but I appreciate your concern. :lol:

Edit: everyone has rituals, why not take up those rituals that help one get in touch with the spiritual state of perception? "Spiritual state of perception." Is that the ambiguous type of statements that gets your juices pumping? What the heck does that mean? I mean really? Spiritual state of perception? :lol: :lol: :lol:

For clarities sake! The Buddha was merely unpacking that with all his explanations and clarifications of explanations, and offering methods that help people help themselves into that. He didn't create a religion in the sense that Christianity is a religion or Islam is a religion. He manifested a tradition of self observation and self discovery!

What you see in Buddhism is a reflection more of your own lack of seeing past the surface or appearance of things.

I'm not trying to say, "be a buddhist!" Just open your mind to another understanding, a deeper perception. Then again... do what you want! If I'm inspired to write, I will write, because it's not against the law here yet. :lol:

Edited by Vajrahridaya

The list goes on and on, but the simple fact is that we're tricked into worrying about the future, because we're reminded of the bad things from the past. We're never allowed the solace of really living in the moment.

My mission in life, my true mission is to live in the here and now. Not to worry about what happens tomorrow or even the next minute, but just to be able to stop and live in the present, to enjoy the taste of ice cream without comparing it to other ice creams. To spend time with my loved ones and appreciate that moment for what it is and not compare it to other moments I've had. I want to never say, "this was the best" of anything ever again, but rather allow the moments I experience to be everything they can be right then.

Aaron

Thank you Aaron fro saying this so well.

Moments are the basis of our lives....

when we live completely within them

we live a very full and content life.

The purpose of our lives is this moment right NOW....

And there never need be any more purpose than that.

Peace!

.... so .... all of this banter and discussion when the main point of this thread was to basically state something that's been said many times about living life, "Just be." Way to go reinventing the wheel that's already been discovered, built, and studied countless numbers of times in all kinds of contexts. While I'm not saying that someone is not entitled to having their own realization moments, this is probably one of those that should go in one's own repretoire rather than something used to provoke reaction by others in the world.

Thank you. The wheel has been reinvented several times over the last 12,000 years of so. Whether it's oiling the hub or adding bearings. Sometimes it needs to be reinvented. Sometimes we need to see the wheel and use it in a different way. If it provoked a reaction, then so be it. I'm not responsible for others emotional responses, only my own. In the end I hoped my revelation might help someone else to see this in a different light. I apologize if it seemed reactionary to you or meaningless. Perhaps I'm just too idealistic.

Aaron

Thank you Aaron fro saying this so well.

Moments are the basis of our lives....

when we live completely within them

we live a very full and content life.

The purpose of our lives is this moment right NOW....

And there never need be any more purpose than that.

Peace!

Thank you for your kind response.

Aaron

... In the end I hoped my revelation might help someone else to see this in a different light. ...

Well, that explains why you didn't like others saying what they felt or found the purpose to life as being.

The topic was never intended to be impetus for discussion; this was another 'teaching' thread for you, only to be read and either agreed with, applauded, or left unresponded to. You're apparantly not interested in what I find to be the purpose of life (since it doesn't line up with yours) so I'll not burden you with my answers to a question that was never asked. ^_^

warm regards

• Like 1

Well, that explains why you didn't like others saying what they felt or found the purpose to life as being.

The topic was never intended to be impetus for discussion; this was another 'teaching' thread for you, only to be read and either agreed with, applauded, or left unresponded to. You're apparantly not interested in what I find to be the purpose of life (since it doesn't line up with yours) so I'll not burden you with my answers to a question that was never asked. ^_^

warm regards

That's not it at all. It's all in how you say it. There is a polite way and an impolite way to advocate the purpose of life, especially when someone has alluded to what they believe it to be. The polite way is to say, "well that's all and good, I'm glad you find that works for you. Here's my idea, what do you think of it?" The impolite way is to say, "really you shouldn't have a purpose" or "Buddha is the only purpose" or "what the hell you been smoking Jethro, don't you know that thinkin's gonna send you to hell?"

You get the idea. I have absolutely no problem with people expressing their opinion, I have a problem with absolutisms. I might be wrong and I understand that, but I work this out on the premise of faith. Faith that in the end it doesn't matter in the least, so this was a thread where I was giving a lesson, a lesson that really does work for me. If that upsets people, so be it. I shouldn't stop trying to help people because a certain few feel offended that someone as menial as I tries to help, or thinks they have anything to add to this weighty topic.

The one thing I dislike is arrogance. I honestly don't feel I am any better than anyone else, but in the same way I also believe that I have as much to offer others as they have to offer me. If people have issues with authority and issues with who can and can't teach, that's their issue, not mine. I'm here to learn first and teach second, but I do have things I can teach others, and if so, why shouldn't I? If someone doesn't think it's worth learning, then that's okay, they don't have to, however if someone does feel that what I shared helped, then maybe that's a good thing.

Anyways I'm off to live in the moment. I hope this is let go and we can move on. To those I offended by alluding to the idea I might have a way of making life a bit more bearable, I apologize.

Aaron

Greetings..

HI Twinner: For many years i have found the following to be consistent and without valid contradiction, it is very similar to your conclusion..

The One became many (we/us/Life), so it could experience its own existence.. Experience is the purpose.

Be well..

Thats what I think it is just beautiful and well wrote, You took a lot of time in writing that from your heart I could tell... Your a good man...

Take care Mel

That's not it at all. It's all in how you say it. There is a polite way and an impolite way to advocate the purpose of life, especially when someone has alluded to what they believe it to be. The polite way is to say, "well that's all and good, I'm glad you find that works for you. Here's my idea, what do you think of it?" The impolite way is to say, "really you shouldn't have a purpose" or "Buddha is the only purpose" or "what the hell you been smoking Jethro, don't you know that thinkin's gonna send you to hell?"

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I feel that this a gross over exaggeration. I haven't seen anyone say anything like that.

Just because someone puts forward an alternate view does not mean they are automatically putting you down. Perhaps you should go back and read the actual words of the posts.

For example, here is exactly what I said in my first post:

I prefer to ask: why does life need to have a purpose?

Nowhere did I say anything like, "really you shouldn't have a purpose" or "you're doing it wrong" or "this is useless to anyone" or anything of the sort.

Here is another:

I will answer from the point of view of my interpretation of Mahayana Buddhism.

I don't see anything absolutist in this, he made it pretty clear he was talking about his own interpretation.

From where I'm sitting, you are adding things that are not there. You shared your view, and I shared mine. Other people have shared theirs.

You get the idea. I have absolutely no problem with people expressing their opinion, I have a problem with absolutisms. I might be wrong and I understand that, but I work this out on the premise of faith. Faith that in the end it doesn't matter in the least, so this was a thread where I was giving a lesson, a lesson that really does work for me.

Perhaps you should check some of the words you are using....

You say "it just works for me", but at the same time, you say, "giving a lesson", which already kind of implies a little something about relative positions of you and other people.

Then when people present alternative views (in ways which I strongly do not think were overly antagonistic from what I've read, but feel free to quote exact posts you have a problem with), and you react.... well you don't readily accept that they even have a place in your thread.

If that upsets people, so be it.

Who do you think is upset?

I shouldn't stop trying to help people because a certain few feel offended that someone as menial as I tries to help, or thinks they have anything to add to this weighty topic.

Again, with just a few words you are convey many subtle implications.

You are "trying to help people", as if there are people needing help. And there are people who need help, and maybe you've helped people... but it again conflicts with a previously stated goal of just throwing out "what works for you". So it seems you're not just saying, "hey, I found out what worked for me", but that you're also saying, "let me teach you something you need to know".

Furthermore, you say "or thinks they have anything to add to this weighty topic", which can come across as a bit derogatory. It kinda comes off as, "who are you to say anything, what do you have to contribute?"

The one thing I dislike is arrogance. I honestly don't feel I am any better than anyone else, but in the same way I also believe that I have as much to offer others as they have to offer me. If people have issues with authority and issues with who can and can't teach, that's their issue, not mine.

Who do you think has issues?

Why do you insist on saying "teach"? Why not "share"?

I'm here to learn first and teach second, but I do have things I can teach others, and if so, why shouldn't I? If someone doesn't think it's worth learning, then that's okay, they don't have to, however if someone does feel that what I shared helped, then maybe that's a good thing.

That's a great thing! But "teaching" sort of implies that you are an authority, and that someone presenting an alternative view is.... less than welcome. And to be honest, I feel you've made other views seem notably less welcome.

If you don't want other people to come in and start discussing (in any way they seem fit, because people generally discuss that way), and just want to post personal revelations, I highly suggest you get a personal practice forum! Furthermore, you can edit out any posts you feel don't fit into the spirit of your threads!

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Many thanks, Vaj! Means a lot from such an advanced soul as yourself! /\

Ok, just thought I'd add an alternate psychoanalysis with some Byron Katie-style self-inquiry:

Hmm... I spent the better part of four decades seeking a purpose, in God, in Church, in meditation, in my inner psyche, and in the end the best I could come up with was that if there was a purpose I couldn't figure it out. Then one day I woke up and I got it, the answer, and it was so simple it was like it was staring me in the face. Why couldn't I have figured it out sooner?
Well, you don't look this hard for a solution when you don't have an actual problem.
What is the purpose? Well before I tell you I need to remind you that purpose is subjective, so the purpose that I come up with might not be the same purpose that you come up with, that's one of the problems. So if someone does answer the question and does so in a way that leaves no doubt, then it better be a good answer, one that people can't argue with.

Well that's all fine and good, but people can argue about anything, even the price of butter, so how are you going to answer a question as important as purpose, not just any purpose, but "the purpose" without having anyone argue with you about it. Simple, by not arguing with them.

This is the trick, one I have yet to master, but can see that it works in the small bits that I have mastered. I have the option to argue with someone, to disagree with them. If I choose to disagree with them, then I have the option of how I can continue my conversation with them. Do I tell them they're an idiot and leave it at that? Do I smile knowingly at the foolish person who is unmistakably misguided? Or do I say, it really doesn't matter and let it go? I'm not going to tell you which one I choose, because I don't know how anyone is going to respond yet, when they respond you'll find out soon enough, rather I will tell you what "the purpose" is.

This could be "your ego" (I) telling You (them) not to argue with it. IOW, You are essentially still arguing with yourself over your conclusion - and your ego is trying to get You to stop.
Yes. I know you wanted more, so did I at first. It seems too plain, too ordinary, so much like everything else I hear and do through out the day, but it's more than just that, you're just not looking close enough.

We like to believe that we're trapped on this earth, really trapped. That our bodies are somehow holding us back from achieving something so much more magnificent than anything we've experienced so far, but we haven't always felt like that.

Remember being a child and feeling something soft, a kitten, a feather, or even a velor pillow, how much you really enjoyed that experience? What about the taste of ice cream? Your father ate his cone with a dour face perhaps, you looking at him, not really caring, because you knew that you had within your hands at least ten minutes of pure bliss. You were living, truly living, with a purpose that wasn't being defined, but rather experienced.

My mission in life, my true mission is to live in the here and now. Not to worry about what happens tomorrow or even the next minute, but just to be able to stop and live in the present, to enjoy the taste of ice cream without comparing it to other ice creams. To spend time with my loved ones and appreciate that moment for what it is and not compare it to other moments I've had. I want to never say, "this was the best" of anything ever again, but rather allow the moments I experience to be everything they can be right then.

Anyways, I'm sure by now you're bored and disappointed. I tricked you and I admit I tricked you. I didn't give you the purpose for life, because the only thing I have the answer to is the purpose for my own life. You need to find the purpose in your own life. I can tell you that we are alive because we live. I'm just not sure if that's enough for most people. If it's not, I certainly hope you find a purpose, if you don't, then I certainly hope you can find that complete peace you feel when you can just stop and enjoy something for what it is.

Thanks for reading this far and I truly hope you find your purpose.

Again, your ego telling You to give up the search for any purpose more than simply satisfying its physical needs. Even admitting that its tricked You and hoping that You find your own purpose.
Why is everyone so gung ho to answer the posts, but not actually read what others have to say? It's like the only reason some people come here is to hear themselves talk.
Classic Byron Katie turnaround. Isn't what you accuse others of here - what you started this thread for?

Of course, this is just one possible interpretation...but there's a lot of grist for the mill here.

But I think if you had truly found your purpose, you would be at peace with yourself.

And when you become at peace with yourself, you will become at peace with all others (who merely serve as mirrors & tuning forks for your own issues).

But when you are at war with others, you are still at war with yourself.

In my humble opinion, I still detect a lot of unresolved emotional tension in your posts. What is the deeper issue here, that searching for a purpose may be serving as a proxy for? Perhaps an unreconciled separation between You and your ego (that gets fractally externally projected as you vs them)? Both seemingly headed in different directions and fighting over the steering wheel? Even your avy reflects a struggle between complementary opposites and a desired merging..

av-54261.jpg

So, maybe your real purpose then would involve marriage counseling for the 2 to heal the schism? I dunno, but I would take your entire manifesto here as a letter to yourself and keep digging deeper...until you find that lowest common denominator of all your pain & desires.

Just my .02 though - I could be totally off-base, too. :)

Edited by vortex

Hello Sloppy Zhang (and whomever else it concerns),

I want to clarify that I am not opposed to anything. I understand that there are many paths one can take to find purpose, and in fact, I wont disagree that one should ask, "why should there be a purpose?" I just see it as the opposite side of the same coin.

For me the important thing isn't whether someone is a Buddhist, Christian, or Muslim, but rather whether what they do is working for them. In my mind, as someone has stated, we are all from the same beginning and we are all the same person, the only thing that separates me from you is the fact I was told that this was true. It's the I complex.

I had this conversation earlier tonight, right before I was going to reply to this post and one of the topics that came up was the idea that when I realize that you are me and I am you, then when I see you suffer I suffer. Compassion is not a moral action, but rather a natural response. Call it De or realization, but really it's understanding that we are not different people, that idea is all an illusion.

So when I "teach" or "share" I am not simply teaching you I am teaching myself. When I choose not to listen to you, then I choose not to listen to myself. In the end you have a right to your opinion because I have a right to mine, the two can't be separate, because they aren't separate. When I can realize this, not only on a logical level, but a experiential level, then I can start to practice real compassion and understanding.

Part of reaching this level of understanding, I think, comes from living in the here and now. The only moment I have any control over (if I do in fact have any control) is the here and now. If I make the most of what's happening right now, then I need not worry about the future or the past, because that's irrelevant.

Anyways, rather than discuss this at further length, which isn't needed, I will say I'm sorry. I truly am sorry that I might have offended you or made you think that I didn't care what you thought, because I honestly and deeply do. The truth was that I thought I found a truth, but in the end that's not so important. What's more important is that you understand that I do care about what you thought and your idea is every bit as important as my own.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 2

Many thanks, Vaj! Means a lot from such an advanced soul as yourself! /\

Ok, just thought I'd add an alternate psychoanalysis with some Byron Katie-style self-inquiry:Well, you don't look this hard for a solution when you don't have an actual problem.This could be "your ego" (I) telling You (them) not to argue with it. IOW, You are essentially still arguing with yourself over your conclusion - and your ego is trying to get You to stop.Again, your ego telling You to give up the search for any purpose more than simply satisfying its physical needs. Even admitting that its tricked You and hoping that You find your own purpose.Classic Byron Katie turnaround. Isn't what you accuse others of here - what you started this thread for?

Of course, this is just one possible interpretation...but there's a lot of grist for the mill here.

But I think if you had truly found your purpose, you would be at peace with yourself.

And when you become at peace with yourself, you will become at peace with all others (who merely serve as mirrors & tuning forks for your own issues).

But when you are at war with others, you are still at war with yourself.

In my humble opinion, I still detect a lot of unresolved emotional tension in your posts. What is the deeper issue here, that searching for a purpose may be serving as a proxy for? Perhaps an unreconciled separation between You and your ego? Both seemingly headed in different directions and fighting over the steering wheel? Maybe your real purpose then would involve marriage counseling for the 2? I dunno, but I would take your entire manifesto here as a letter to yourself and keep digging deeper...

Just my .02 though - I could be totally off-base, too. :)

Thanks for the input. It's nice to see that you are concerned about other people (this is sincere, not sarcasm). I actually don't believe in the ego, there is only me, so I will accept responsibility for any poor behavior. As far as purpose, I believe on a deeper level that there is and isn't a purpose, part of realizing that there isn't a purpose is finding out that there is one first.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Philosophers asked; Why is there something rather than nothing.

I ask: why are you here rather than not here?

Thanks for the input. It's nice to see that you are concerned about other people (this is sincere, not sarcasm). I actually don't believe in the ego, there is only me, so I will accept responsibility for any poor behavior. As far as purpose, I believe on a deeper level that there is and isn't a purpose, part of realizing that there isn't a purpose is finding out that there is one first.

Aaron

Ah, no need to apologize or punish yourself, man! You are simply projecting your own inner conflict outward (notice how you vacillate between there being and not being a purpose). Because your real question here is not what the purpose of life is - but may be on how to bridge or transcend the opposing duality within yourself.

It's obvious that this is a painfully sore issue for you. Pain means that something is blocked or unresolved. So, if you were to view this as "emotional acupressure," this is an emotional pressure point that hurts and needs to be cleared. Because when a point is cleared - it actually feels SOOTHING, not PAINFUL - under pressure! And once all your points and channels are cleared, then you will become emotionally freed, my man!

The good news is that you've identified a very pivotal issue in your life. Which means that you are getting close to your lynchpin. So, keep digging & clearing deeper! Keep on going until you find that root dilemna that DEFINES YOUR LIFE, resolve it & watch all your pains & desires collapse back into that singularity!

buddha-smile.jpg

This is the slight smile of an emotionally-free man! Nothing emotionally perturbs or excites him anymore. He may approve or disapprove of various things mentally and intellectually - but they don't get him emotionally riled up either way. Everything is mildly soothing to him, because his body contains no emotional pain to personally resonate with anything outside it anymore.

When this happens, you are no longer continually accumulating "negative emotional energy" like blocks raining down in Tetris. You will no longer emotionally entrain with outer negative emotions. It then becomes much easier to stay clear and ahead of the curve, without such constant emotional toxification.

:)

Edited by vortex

Aaron

So many definitions over Something-

So simple that all you got to do to understand-

So many realities is to open just one of your 2 eyes and Shut your mouth.

So Sad.

Edited by Alfred E

So many definitions over Something-

So simple that all you got to do to understand-

So many realities is to open just one of your 2 eyes and Shut your mouth.

So Sad.

Alfred E.,

When you stop telling people to shut up and start treating them with a bit of compassion, perhaps they will take the time to listen to you. Until then remember that with compassion comes great insight. You and I are the same, so what you say about me, you say about yourself.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner