Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

Fish

All my fish were alive the last time I checked. Some go with the flow and others go against the flow. It's their nature.

All my fish were alive the last time I checked. Some go with the flow and others go against the flow. It's their nature.

Hi Marblehead!

Question... If they are going and not going with the flow is this of any relevance?

Other than just acting naturally, the fish of course have no

concept of doing anything other than what comes natural.

Does a fish have awareness of swimming in it's great ocean of water?

I would venture to say No... unless that is, the fish is physically separated from the only thing it's ever known.

Point being... Without awareness of there being something other than what we are immersed within, there can be

no "decision" to act any way other than what is most natural for that creature within that system.

Peace! :)

Edited by strawdog65

Hi Marblehead!

Question... If they are going and not going with the flow is this of any relevance?

Other than just acting naturally, the fish of course have no

concept of doing anything other than what comes natural.

Does a fish have awareness of swimming in it's great ocean of water?

I would venture to say No... unless that is, the fish is physically separated from the only thing it's ever known.

Point being... Without awareness of there being something other than what we are immersed within, there can be

no "decision" to act any way other than what is most natural for that creature within that system.

Peace! :)

Now that is deeper than the water we are talking about!

Awareness.

It is my understanding that awareness requires a brain. Fish have one.

It is my understanding that awareness requires recognition of 'not me'. Fish have this. (They avoid their preditors.)

Are we humans aware of the air that we breathe? Most of the time not eacept when we intentionally think upon the subject.

Are fish aware of the water they swim in and breathe? Most of the time not, but if they jump out of the water they become gravely aware of its absence.

Yes, without awareness a fish will swim into the path of a preditor and be eaten and without awareness a human will walk into a lamp post. I see no difference here.

True, there are different levels of awareness between the two. But then, there are different levels of awareness between different humans.

Yes, a fish is aware that the fresher water comes from upstream. Metaphorically, humans seek the fresher waters upstream.

But even with awareness it is important to know what to do with this information. Most of the fish's actions are based in instinct. We humans have the ability of rationalizing. Regretfully, we oftentimes use faulty logic. This is a reflection of the lack of sufficient wisdom.

Conclusion: Some humans would be better off if they didn't have a brain capable of rational thought but rather were forced to act/react in a particular way through instinct.

Marbles, there's no doubt in my mind that you were a fish in a prior life. You've got the art of being a fish 'down'.

Marbles, there's no doubt in my mind that you were a fish in a prior life. You've got the art of being a fish 'down'.

Hehehe. Actually, according to Western astrology, I am a Pisces.

Oh, I was hoping this was going to be about food :(

But this part caught my eye

"Conclusion: Some humans would be better off if they didn't have a brain capable of rational thought but rather were forced to act/react in a particular way through instinct."

How do you suggest we force them then? And why only "some" humans. Mr MH I believe this "conclusion" to be shared by many people as a premise and I don't think I like it.

Oh, I was hoping this was going to be about food :(

But this part caught my eye

"Conclusion: Some humans would be better off if they didn't have a brain capable of rational thought but rather were forced to act/react in a particular way through instinct."

How do you suggest we force them then? And why only "some" humans. Mr MH I believe this "conclusion" to be shared by many people as a premise and I don't think I like it.

Hi Kate,

No, I wasn't suggesting that others or religion or governments should do the forcing. I was implying that nature should do this. There are some people who continue to make the same mistakes in life over and over again based on faulty logic. They would be better off, in many cases, if they were forced, by their own instinct of survival, to do what was truely in their best interest.

I have seen so many people who practice self-destructive acts based on irrationality (faulty thinking). If they didn't think so much and just did what was best for them they would have a lot fewer problems.

I will agree with you that it isn't a nice thought, thinking that there are people who do things that are harmful to themselves and others but all we have to do is look around and we see it every day. We don't have to like the realities of life for them to be valid. Just like in nature, we don't like earthquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes but they happen all the same.

Sign in to follow this