Sign in to follow this  
surfingbudda

The "True" Tao

Heres a very nice story from the site above, to give a solution for cultivating positivity in one's life.

Tao Living

The Weeds

by Derek Lin

Once upon a time in ancient China, there was a sage who taught the Tao to three disciples at a distant temple. Once every few months, they would make the long trip into town to purchase supplies.

On one of these trips, they paused by a field overgrown with weeds. The sage said to the disciples: "This field is like the human mind, and the weeds are like negative thoughts. Tell me, what do you think is the best way to get rid of the weeds?"

The first disciple was quick to answer: "Just pull up the weeds with your hands, Master. What can be easier than that?"

The second disciple disagreed: "That is not very effective. Look at how many weeds there are. You can only do so much before you get tired. The best way is to use tools like the shovel to uproot the weeds. In the same amount of time, you can do a lot more with less effort."

The third disciple shook his head: "Even that is not effective enough. Look at how big this field is. Even with tools, it will still take quite a while, and it will still be exhausting. The best way is fire. Set up a perimeter around the field, and then burn the whole thing. It takes some effort to preapre, but once that's done, you just stand back and watch the fire do all the work for you."

The sage smiled approvingly: "You've given three answers that are quite different, but all interesting. Tell me, how does your answer correspond with the Tao?"

The first disciple was again the quickest to respond: "Pulling up the weeds by hand is like confronting each negative thought directly, getting a firm hold of it, and then having the satisfaction of uprooting it from the mind. I believe this is the Tao at the purest and most personal level."

The second disciple thought for a moment: "Just as this field has too many weeds to clear by hand, the mind has too many negative thoughts to eliminate one by one. I need the tools of cultivation, such as meditation, mantras and sutras. These spiritual tools are standard not only for us, but also for other followers of the Tao, so it is quite obvious that my idea is much closer to the Tao."

The third disciple was also thoughtful: "My method is like establishing communion with the gods and the buddhas. Burning the field with fire is like using the sacred powers of the divine to sweep the mind completely clear of negative thoughts. This is the most powerful method, and therefore must also be the closest to the Tao."

Again the sage smiled in approval: "These are all valid comparisons. We can continue on our way now, but I want all of you to keep this discussion in mind, and think about your solution some more."

Months passed, and soon it was time to go into town for supplies again. The sage and the disciples passed by the same field as before, but this time it was different. They saw that farmers had turned it into rice paddies.

The sage turned to them and said: "This is the reason why I did not name any of your answers as the correct one. None of you touched the level of the Tao."

The first disciple was curious: "What was wrong with our solutions, Master?"

"They were all temporary measures." The sage pointed out: "The weeds will grow back after you have cleared the field, regardless of your method. The only way to ensure that won't happen is to replace the weeds with something else - like the rice crop you see in front of you. Similarly, it is not enough to eliminate negative thoughts from your mind. You must also plant the seeds of positive thoughts. That is the only way to ensure that the negativity will never return."

As the sage said, all three disciples offered valid answers. There are many ways to practice the Tao, and different techniques come in handy at different times. They also vary in effectiveness depending on individual personalities and preferences.

Perhaps the most basic of all is the instrospection described by the first disciple. For all of us, Tao cultivation starts when we examine ourselves. Instead of looking outward, we focus inward. This is fundamental because the answers to the most important questions in life are in the heart, not in the external world.

The second disciple pointed to methods that can be quite helpful in this internal quest. Reading is one key activity. In ancient times, Tao practitioners studied sutras and often committed substantial sections to memory. Nowadays, we have access not only to ancient texts but also to a wealth of additional material. We are able to learn from others' thoughts and experiences on all aspects of the Tao culture.

Meditation is another key activity. This includes not only the common forms of sitting meditation, but also the dynamic forms, where the body is engaged in an activity like Qi Qong or Tai Chi while the mind remains tranquil. In Chinese, this is called dong zhong chan, which literally means "meditation within movement."

The third disciple spoke of communion with gods. Beginners in the Tao may see this as a ritual of prostrating oneself and worshipping deities. Those who have devoted time to study the Tao may realize that the gods and immortals in the Tao are simply avatars of virtues. To commune with them is to make use of their symbolism - their divine powers - in deepening one's practice in a particular area of life.

There are those who have spent years learning the above, and either remain stuck at the same level as before, or find themselves repeating the same process over and over again. This usually happens not because they have imperfect techniques, but because they are missing the crucial element that the sage pointed out - they have done some work to get rid of the weeds, but after a while, the weeds grow right back.

Weeds are no different from any other plants in being part of the Tao. It is perfectly natural for them to grow. Negative thoughts in the mind are the same way. As long as you live and breathe, you will have such thoughts from time to time. Some may point to this and say that since detructive emotions are perfectly natural, they don't have to do anything about their temper in order to follow the Tao. That's like saying it's perfectly fine to let the weeds grow out of control in your garden. Nature will not have any issues with it, of course, but before long you will also not have a garden in which to rest and relax.

This is the most valuable lesson taught by the sage. The way to deal with negative thoughts is not to deny or suppress them. The best way is to crowd them out with positive thoughts. The same Tao is true in other areas of life as well. For instance, the best way to deal with ignorant opinions is not to censor them, but to present rational, well-reasoned opinions alongside them. Before you know it, misinformed ideas will be edged out, without any need for condemnation or criticism.

It is just as easy to apply this concept to the improvement and cultivation of the self. If you want to build a healthier and stronger body, the best way to do it is to maximize smarter lifestyle choices in terms of diet and exercise, and let them naturally minimize unhealthy choices. If you want to become a kinder and better person, the best way to do it is to maximize kindness and goodness in your heart, and let them naturally minimize thoughts of darkness and cruelty.

Just as the Tao is eternal, the results your create this way will last. They will be permanent changes in your life, rather than temporary benefits from temporary measures. There is no going back to the way you used to be... when you use the Tao to cultivate the Tao!

An interesting article talking about the true tao and how the western take on taoism is only one aspect of it. My link

Hi surfingbudda!

Dude.... wow!

I always look at Tao this way.

Tao encompasses all paths,

they are all just different facets of the whole.

Being so... all paths lead to and originate from

the same original, universal source.

Tao is a many faceted Gem.

Cool site... Thank you!

Peace!

Ya it seems like on the outside, religions have different customs and rituals, but when you look deeper at the more esoteric mystical levels, all religions seem pretty similar. I read an article once from a Rabbi of Kabbalah and he said that reincarnation is actually a key idea of Judaism, yet this concept never is addressed by mainstream judaism.

Ya it seems like on the outside, religions have different customs and rituals, but when you look deeper at the more esoteric mystical levels, all religions seem pretty similar. I read an article once from a Rabbi of Kabbalah and he said that reincarnation is actually a key idea of Judaism, yet this concept never is addressed by mainstream judaism.

All religions are similar, that's why I stear clear of them. I am not looking for religion or dogma, but rather the Tao. The Tao is not within a book, nor is it within a ritual or practice, for it cannot be contained. The Tao is all around me, corporeal and incorporeal. It is within the leaves and the rocks, within my flesh and my clothes. I don't need anyone to teach me this, I already know it. I need only open my eyes to see it. I need only uncover my ears to hear it. I need only breathe in to feel it.

Meditation will not lead you to Tao, nor will Qigong, or cultivation of virtue. Virtue comes from Tao, it is the spontaneous creation that springs forth from the unfathomable, the experiential. If I learn to work in harmony with the world, to see the nature of the world as the minifestation of Tao, then Te, virtue, will come of its own accord, no one will need to teach me it.

Aaron

It was even important in Christianity until the Council of Nicea decided to nix it a few centuries post-Christ.

Meditation will not lead you to Tao, nor will Qigong, or cultivation of virtue. Virtue comes from Tao, it is the spontaneous creation that springs forth from the unfathomable, the experiential. If I learn to work in harmony with the world, to see the nature of the world as the minifestation of Tao, then Te, virtue, will come of its own accord, no one will need to teach me it.

Not sure I can agree with most of this. As I shared in the subforum thread about 'de', I think 'de' is the 'Dao in you'; it facilitates the 'return'. So, 'de' is not something that "comes", it is there right now !! If what you mean is your awareness of it grows then that is another thing; that is your mind/body/experience not recognizing it.

You don't like the word "cultivate" yet you say 'if I learn to work...'. What is different? And if nobody needs to teach you, how did you learn to work?

Most eastern ways include some form of meditation, so I am not sure one can say as a blanket statement that meditation will not lead you to an understand of Dao. I think maybe you are compartmentalizing things as I see them all as playing some interrelated role. Some may drop certain parts but yet still get the benefit... ergo, no one part by itself is going to do it, yes. But to drop it completely misses the point that it can contribute.

Thanks for sharing that Surfingbuddha.

I like the story of the field of weeds - the mind of negativity. And it is true, if we only try to destroy the weeds more weeds will grow later. The empty space we create upon destorying the weeds must be filled with something else lest the weeds grow back again. Same with destroying negative thoughts, positive thoughts must be used to fill the empty space created.

Edited by Marblehead

Yes. Another good example. I guess this is why I refer to the Tao Te Ching as a guide for one to live their life. We can read and practice all we want but it isn't until we have had the experience that we really understand the deeper meaning of the words.

Not sure I can agree with most of this. As I shared in the subforum thread about 'de', I think 'de' is the 'Dao in you'; it facilitates the 'return'. So, 'de' is not something that "comes", it is there right now !! If what you mean is your awareness of it grows then that is another thing; that is your mind/body/experience not recognizing it.

You don't like the word "cultivate" yet you say 'if I learn to work...'. What is different? And if nobody needs to teach you, how did you learn to work?

Most eastern ways include some form of meditation, so I am not sure one can say as a blanket statement that meditation will not lead you to an understand of Dao. I think maybe you are compartmentalizing things as I see them all as playing some interrelated role. Some may drop certain parts but yet still get the benefit... ergo, no one part by itself is going to do it, yes. But to drop it completely misses the point that it can contribute.

Hello Dawei,

I don't like a lot of things. It doesn't really matter. It's all opinion. Everyone seems to feel the need to be right, when in fact it doesn't matter. My point is that if someone tells you they have the Truth, then they most likely don't. The truth is subjective.

The only truth I'm sure of is that I have absolutely no idea what the truth is, only what I define as truth. Even if I become aware of the Tao, I haven't become aware of the truth, I've only become aware of the Tao.

I wouldn't even say I'm compartmentalizing things, what you get from Taoist cultivation is Taoist enlightenment. What you get from Buddhist cultivation is Buddhist enlightenment. That's the real issue at hand, enlightenment doesn't exist, because it works under the assumption that we are in darkness.

The more I examine these things, the more I believe we are already enlightened, we just have had people tell us we aren't for so long that we believe it. And think about it, what better way to get people to do what you want them to do, then to offer them something that you have no way of proving exists?

Cultivation, as it relates to Tao isn't the best definition of what I think they're talking about. How can you cultivate something so that it blossoms of it's own accord? That's my point, not that it doesn't happen, but that the trick is to allow it to happen on its own, to become a part of it, not out of shear intent or force of will, but because you've allowed it to pick you up and carry you along.

My point is that none of these things lead you to Tao, because you are already a part of it. If you just wake up you can see it.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 1

Hi Twinner,

you make some good points.

This response might not address what you are describing, but this is my interpretation of the concept. I think you can combine both the story about weeds and the thieves to explain this. I agree with the stories in that there are many ways to reach the Tao, or to make you understand that you are already one with the Tao; and no one can really show this to you, a good teacher can only provide guidance to your path, which ultimately everyone must make by themselves. I agree with you that everyone has everything they already need to be one with the Tao, but I think most people won't realize this without the proper guidance of a "true teacher". I think if a teacher claims his way is the one true way to enlightenment or whatever, then he is definitely not a true master, however I do think certain paths can definitely be more effective than others. There is more than one river that leads to the ocean.

• Like 1

The more I examine these things, the more I believe we are already enlightened, we just have had people tell us we aren't for so long that we believe it. And think about it, what better way to get people to do what you want them to do, then to offer them something that you have no way of proving exists?

An excellent observation.

Religions are a means of controlling the masses by promising some paradise in a future world or existence, that may or may not exist. If the devotee does not do the required practices, usually created by some authority figure, deified being or guru, then they will fall into all kinds of nasty hell-like worlds after death, for all eternity.

In other words, fear-based.

Surfing budda,

I really appreciate your posting of these stories.

It always amazes me how the telling of a story is so

soothing and beneficial to the learning of key points.

It is especially relevant , to me, that in the process of self-cultivation, we do not lose

our ability to empathize with other people. And are able to also cultivate the ability

to make choices that are wise because of the positive effect they are capable of generating.

What is the sense of self-cultivation if we pull away from society in the process?

Cultivating within the society you are immersed in seems to be more beneficial.

Using the knowledge to help others and be an example of impartiality and acceptance,

a path without turmoil and violence, a path with a deeper understanding that all

things will come to pass as they are meant to be and that nothing need be done

with the exception of just "being".

I do wish I was younger and able to have a teacher that would illuminate the path

better for me. Even so, everyday is our ongoing opportunity to exercise what we

have learned, and use this information/knowledge in our actions/non-actions everyday.

Whenever there is a difficult situation in your life... it is a life/Tao lesson.

From everything such as disagreements, to stress, to how we fall into the same judgmental

patterns... all are opportunities to employ the knowledge of Taoism.

For this reason... I can not possibly see any greater teacher then Life itself.

There are many, many people who are unable to find or afford a teacher. In those situations

the path of Tao is still open to them, through people as examples, through books and

the internet, anyone who is asking themselves "why" about the nature of being will eventually

arrive at the door of Tao. All that is required is an open mind and a penchant for what feels true.

I treasure the wisdom imparted to us through parables and stories as told by the ancient sages,

they are more than a widow back in time, they are a window into a different Way of

thinking and responding to our very world!... they are enlightening!

Thanks for the great post!

Peace!

Edited by strawdog65

Aaron got it once and again :)

Which of course is only my opinion and my experience so discard that. I'd like to ask why some of the posters are referring to religions as devices to anchor "virtue" - when as far as I can tell so far, Taoist practices teach spiritual freedom and the recognition of the inherent virtue of each of the 10,000 things.

I read a neat thing the other day "a free spirit does not preach" which I guess I'm doing a bit of re the religions thing but hopefully I will be forgiven in my father's house :rolleyes: (that last part required irony punctuation, can you see where I might go with this? I didn't touch the Confucianism thread for the same reason - made my skin crawl)

Greetings..

I cannot find that which is not Tao.. but, i can find that which will see the Tao it believes, and believe the Tao it sees.. the most realized Taoist i've known, did not know they were 'Taoist'..

Be well..

Sign in to follow this