Edward M

Food for thought

Spiritual Development Does Not Involve Money

This is all I got to say on the matter--discuss if you want but i've got nothing else to say. And it's not directed at anybody in particular!

peace

Ed

Hi Ed,

True. Spiritual development does not involve anything material.

But I take care of my money probably just as much as I take care of my spiritual development.

It's hard to develop spiritually when you constantly have hunger pains.

This is why I have problems with supposed spiritual masters charging outrageous prices for their teachings. I believe true spiritual knowledge should be as available as possible and not a privilege to the few. I can't really understand how some masters can charge these absurd prices while at the same time saying they want to share their knowledge with the world, if that was their goal then they shouldn't care about making as much personal profit as possible as these just feed the ego, just IMO.

• Like 1

it is polite and respectful to give to one who shares knowledge or wisdom with you that you've benifited from.

it is polite and respectful to give to one who shares knowledge or wisdom with you that you've benifited from.

Agreed, but some of the teachers that are championed on these forums, have ridiculous prices, like as in the thousands of dollars.

But on the other hand, if that supposed knowledge or wisdom didn't help at all shouldn't one expect to have all their money refunded?

hey homeys, just because some dude is accomplished when it comes to powers n' shiet, it doesn't mean he's overcome the the greatest temptation - Money.

Like my old master used to say, "all the powers in the world can't buy me a 21 oz Prime Rib."

Just kidding, I have no old master. I just made that up. :)

My personal view is that a teacher should be paid for their time as well as their quality. If they charge more than that, they're being greedy.

Seems to me that anything up to 25 dollars per hour is acceptable, since that is the pay for a typical job these days.

If the teacher is kind, they will just do minimum wage. If you are close to them, they may do it for free.

Their experience and ability should play a role in how much they charge. Also, their fame. If many people are knocking on their door trying to learn, that means the demand is high and that they can raise prices (that they can doesn't mean that they should...they will be keeping some potentially great students away by charging too much).

Just because the demand for that teacher is high, doesn't mean that they're good at teaching or that their methods are worthwhile. Lady Gaga is popular, but it's not like she's good in any way, shape or form.

If a spiritual teacher doesn't charge you anything, how can you expect them to teach you anything? Most people these days have to make all sorts of payments. Rent, car, insurance, food, hospital, cell phone bill, etc. Spiritual teachers are no exception...unless they choose to be isolated, in an area where they can live for free, and survive off the land. But how could you ever find such a person? A spiritual teacher wants to spread what they know, in order to help people, not isolate themselves...

Then, consider that they have a family or at least somewhat of a life. You're taking up their time. The most rewarding thing to them may be to help people change their lives for the better, through spirituality, so they may not care for money so much...but still, you have to consider that this is another human being. They also have their own practice.

It's hard enough simply practicing your own style of meditation. Many people can't even find the time to do that. So to have a person juggle everything in their lives, in order to teach you for a low price or for free, is pretty amazing.

Just my view.

I used to agree with Edward and surfing Budda about the morality of charging high fees, however i have now come to realise that

in order to walk the path one is required to make great sacrifices and one of my personal stumbling blocks has been about money and the fear of letting it go. Now i feel through paying these fees one is showing a high level of commitment to learn especially if money is tight. I've wasted a lot of money on a lot worse things without even considering it!

I see the payment of money as a fast track or a short cut to the knowledge, saving you a lot of time. Either pay the money or go stare at a wall for the next 10 years for 12 hours a day, that will cost you nothing.......either way you'll get what you are looking for.

Island :)

I also agree with you Island. We sometimes consider the teachings of spiritual knowledge too expensive, and then go and spend the same amount on useless junk we don't need. However, if teachings are too expensive, there will be many who can not afford to waste any amount of money, so I still think true spiritual knowledge should be more accessible to everyone. Thats why I like Vipassana because all their teachings (even their 10 day retreats where food and shelter is provided)are free and the only cost is donation based, so people just give what they can.

I actually agree with Scotty's post above. Even the Masters need to earn a living. It is only fair that they charge for their services. It is up to the student to do the research to determine if what the Master will be presenting will be worth the time and money to gain the knowledge.

Just kidding, I have no old master. I just made that up. :)

oh hyok :lol: :lol:

Regarding the topic, my thinking is

If someone is selling

1) Tao? Walk away laughing.

2) Path to Tao? Run away laughing.

3) Guaranteed path to Tao? Run like hell; dont waste time laughing.

oh hyok :lol: :lol:

Regarding the topic, my thinking is

If someone is selling

1) Tao? Walk away laughing.

2) Path to Tao? Run away laughing.

3) Guaranteed path to Tao? Run like hell; dont waste time laughing.

Especially if they have a sharp stick in their hands.

Aaron

This is why I have problems with supposed spiritual masters charging outrageous prices for their teachings. I believe true spiritual knowledge should be as available as possible and not a privilege to the few. I can't really understand how some masters can charge these absurd prices while at the same time saying they want to share their knowledge with the world, if that was their goal then they shouldn't care about making as much personal profit as possible as these just feed the ego, just IMO.

Hi surfingbudda!

Money is irrelevant to True spiritual development.

On the flipside of that is people needing to make money to survive.

A donation would be more understandable... as far as the teachings, how does

one place a price on what is beyond a value system?

Spiritual development/ enlightenment, whatever you want to call it, is open to

everyone. And I personally do not believe an instructor is necessary.

Life is our greatest teacher, we only need change our perspective from seeing

adversity in our lives from that of a problem, into that of a challenge.

Challenges in our lives are opportunities to do and be more,

than we were before. Opportunities to remove our judgments and

expectations and to flow with the situation as best we can.

So, as far as teachers charging crazy amounts of money, and why....

it is because people are willing to pay for what they believe can be

achieved by paying for it.

The act of seeing something formless and without shape, something that is

part of all of us, something that is most natural and ever present,

as any other material good to be purchased if you can afford it, is nonsensical.

You can pay all you like... but how do you purchase what is already there?

Yes teachers serve an important function.... yes they need to survive, and live

so they need income. It is the lack of Virtue in charging so much money to

teach what is open to all, and that issue is because we accept it.

Peace!

I don't think there's anything wrong with a teacher charging for their lessons. If one is going to earn a living teaching and they don't live in a monastery, then obviously they'll have to charge enough so that they can support themselves at the very least. I guess my question is whether or not the lessons are worth the price.

As an aside, if it comes down to paying your bills or learning Qigong, pay your bills first, then learn Qigong. It'll be much harder learning if you're homeless.

Aaron

One of the worst money scams was the Reiki Master initiation by Phyllis Furumoto. After she received the lineage, she initiated 87 masters in 3 months. She charged 10,000. :lol: :lol:

Currently, there is Adyashanti who gives 1 day workshops that attracts thousands. In Santa Fe this year, I believe he walked away with 50,000 after expenses. :lol: :lol:

Edited by ralis

One of the worst money scams was the Reiki Master initiation by Phyllis Furumoto. After she received the lineage, she initiated 87 masters in 3 months. She charged 10,000. :lol: :lol:

Currently, there is Adyashanti who gives 1 day workshops that attracts thousands. In Santa Fe this year, I believe he walked away with 50,000 after expenses. :lol: :lol:

That's absolutely scandalous. Adyashanti must be a millionaire by now.

This sort of thing devalues the teachings, however good they are.

There were 1,000 people in the seminar for 1 day, at 70.00 each. There were some scholarships offered and I figured 20,000 for overhead etc. Although, that may be a bit high of a figure.

He does this several times a month. There are groupies that fly in to all his teachings from wherever.

How does it "devalue" the teachings? I'm not saying it does or doesn't, I'm curious.

In china with my tai chi teacher it was not the teacher asking for money but all the students wanting to give money to the teacher. Felt quiet strange to me as i didn't feel the same way but none the less i did give gifts to the teacher also just to fit in. These are expensive gifts much more expensive than the tuition fee.

Infact i wasn't even allowed to pay for my lessons or give any gifts to the teacher until i had formally become a part of the group. This wasn't until i had practiced every weekend, saturday and sunday with the group for 3 months without a single day off. Only after this time could i formally begin to become a part of the group and the teacher would then spend more time teaching me techniques. I guess it's the chinese / tai chi way. Push gently then pull hard haha. It's so engrained into their bones they do it in every aspect without even realising it. It is their way.