Sign in to follow this  
sweeney

Chi foods

I'm not one for lots of huffing and puffing and standing like a crane etc. But I wonder if certain foods have more chi than others. Can anyone offer me any advice? I have heards that beans, pulses etc are bad, but is that superstition? Is a fart a fart? And also that seasonal fruits and vegetables are good; I'm living in England so that limits me to no fruit or vegetables if I follow that advice. Any ideas?

I'm not one for lots of huffing and puffing and standing like a crane etc. But I wonder if certain foods have more chi than others. Can anyone offer me any advice? I have heards that beans, pulses etc are bad, but is that superstition? Is a fart a fart? And also that seasonal fruits and vegetables are good; I'm living in England so that limits me to no fruit or vegetables if I follow that advice. Any ideas?

the qi of a fruit/vegetable is dependent on the conditions of its growing... thus this apple can have more qi than another...

foods do mutually complement - thus their qi complements mutually...

It is a great art of living to find the personal matching mixture...

the qi you can get from foods depends on using the most possible variety too...

beans in combination with cereals give a good mixture...

but what is good for one person can be bad for another- since persons differ in weight, height.. moving... work...-

the cooking of soja-beans is a great art...

if you dont know it - you can hurt yourself...

there are a lot of books...

but you have to learn it by doing as well..

and if you find a teacher it will be a great help...

---

Edited by Riyue

It may vary from person to person, but I find avocados an energizing, qi filled food. They're such a unique fruit, power packed with healthy fats and excellent vitamin/mineral content. Taste wise they are immensely satisfying.

Here's a internet quote: "According to Chinese medicine, the avocado has the ability to build blood and yin, harmonize the liver, and lubricate the lungs as well as the intestines."

If you like vanilla shakes try: half avocado, half frozen banana, handful of baby spinach, little bit of vanilla extract, little bit of sweetner and fill with enough milk (your type of) to blend an inch or two over rotors(stump it down if its not blending). Its a nice green color, but the taste is creamy vanilla shake. Sometimes I'll add in a few almonds.

Michael

Many thanks; My fiancee is of Jamaican descent and they treat (pears) avocadoes, with reverence. I eat them often so that smoothy sounds good.

My advice is to eat seasonal foods, cook them well except fruit in summer during day time or after a heavy meal (oranges like Chinese do), eat organic produce, eat what is good for you, and drink real tea daily (not Lipton and the like). And enjoy what you eat and quietly without being disturbed. Eating while doing stuff or on the run messes up with the Qi of your internal organs. Finally bless the meal prior eating it, like a ceremony. That will aid in a smooth and fluid digestion.

My advice is to eat seasonal foods, cook them well except fruit in summer during day time or after a heavy meal (oranges like Chinese do), eat organic produce, eat what is good for you, and drink real tea daily (not Lipton and the like). And enjoy what you eat and quietly without being disturbed. Eating while doing stuff or on the run messes up with the Qi of your internal organs. Finally bless the meal prior eating it, like a ceremony. That will aid in a smooth and fluid digestion.

Interesting--- I've never considered blessing my meals.. But it sounds like a good habit to get into.

on the topic of tea, I prefer Rishi (www.rishi-tea.com).... Tremendous loose-leaf varieties... But I hear you mention tea quite a bit, so I'm curious where you secure yours?

balance.

Edited by balance.

I drink tea British (Indian) Style with milk. I usually buy good quality blends. Does the milk affect the goodness of the tea? Chinese people don't usually touch dairy produce perhaps with good reason. Thanks for the advice.

P.s if blessing food, who should one bless for the food? The Dao? Or a celestial being? (I'm not being sarcastic)

Here is a good yet short book, called Chinese Foods for Longevity. But the foods are not necessarily from China :lol:

it includes sections on tonics and purging foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Foods-Longevity-Long-Life/dp/0806958308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291412474&sr=8-1

I see many selling for less than a $1.00... Is it me or are book sellers desperate to sell... I've never see prices on used books so low there than in the last year. Anyways, book buyer's market time.

raw foods.

Lettuce. Baby Sprouted Mung beans.

wheat grass juice. Barley grass juice. seaweed.

chi= life force? Therefore only living things can have chi? If thats the general belief then only raw fruit and vegetables and sprouted grains, beans and seeds would have chi? Perhaps milk as well (bacteria and enzymes). The results from eating this food would also support the idea that they are rich in chi as the raw foods diet is known for its incredible healing potential.

Oh and if you don't have seasonal stuff then it may be best to make sprouts a staple in your diet as they can be grown anywhere organically and in good conditions. Just use saltwater and you'll grow sum of the best sprouts you could imagine XD

Typical vegetables are usually not so great because we don't have the enzyme cellulase, but fruits are good. The only problem with fruits is that most are picked b4 ripening and sit on shelves for a long time. Fruits are best when sun ripened and eaten immediately after picking or soon after. However alot of grapes and tomatoes are still sold on the vine so if you wanted to nit-pick and maximize chi in your foods (assuming the theory above holds solid) then grapes and tomatoes would also be good staples. Note that when buying grapes try to stick with the seeded kind as the seedless have been genetically altered.

-Astral

Edited by Astral_Anima

Interesting--- I've never considered blessing my meals.. But it sounds like a good habit to get into.

It certainly makes a difference. Try and you shall see. :)

on the topic of tea, I prefer Rishi (www.rishi-tea.com).... Tremendous loose-leaf varieties... But I hear you mention tea quite a bit, so I'm curious where you secure yours?

Various sources:

Yunnan Sourcing, Postcard teas, Norbu, Tea Spring, Jing Tea Shop, Zen Teas (Taiwanese high mountain oolongs, it's an eBay seller), Tea from Taiwan, IShopO (last two also for Taiwanese high mountain oolongs), and other sources the folks over at Tea Chat would recommend.

raw foods.

Lettuce. Baby Sprouted Mung beans.

wheat grass juice. Barley grass juice. seaweed.

I've been experimenting with this concept for over 10 years whereupon in General I've noticed a marked difference in Organic beansprouts. - How to tell if Organic or not? Try to grow the seeds and see if it produces seeds. - Also they taste much better - And I don't get sick. (10 Years.)

Sprouted Seeds: "Forgotten Food,"

enhances immune system and rejuvenation

The Process I use to concentrate the enzymes

"The process:

Using Mung Beans

Making a juice extract by sprouting (1/4 to 1/2 of a cup) of the seeds so that they have a root emerging no more than 1/8 inch. It takes about 24 hours to sprout the seeds in the summer.

The process:

I cover them in tap water for about 4 hours & then pour the water away, let them dry for a few hours & cover them with tap water again and repeat the process untill they sprout a root emerging no more than 1/8 inch.

Then put them in a blender with about 3 times as much cold distilled water as seeds.

Blend them with the cold water so that the seeds become like a powder.

Strain the blended seeds & water through a stainless steel wire type filtering seive that you can find at grocery stores & drink the juice while it is fresh.

Throw away the grounds.

To build up your enzyme bank in your pancreas, you will need to do this every 2 or 3 days for a month or 2. Then about once a week. Even if I begin feeling a little sick, if I drink the juice, the illness does not develop.

I keep some of the semi sprouted beans in the refridgerator most of the time & snack on them - but the juice extract is what really works. Be careful eating the beans like a salad as an unsprouted bean can break a tooth...

The juice also acts as a catalyst for the endocrine system to bring hormones into balance.

Read more on the process at this website

In case you are wondering about applications of the medicinal use of enzymes - they are one of the main medicines used in Cancer treatment." AND: "Neither vitamins, minerals or hormones can do any work -- without enzymes."

There is too much information on the enzymes to write here - so I just give a few articles on them from researchers (easy reading.)

Enzymes and Longevity

AND: Hwto Grow Sprouts: The Year-Round Vitamins

Plants like ginger and pepper are said to increase qi, as are countless others

a special soup that is made of sesame seeds, powdered tuckahoe (Pachyma cocos, or fuling), with small amounts of milk and honey that the adept could take to “nourish the qi and moisten the belly”

Norm Than, a "modern immortal," also has his own longevity recipes... Edited by vortex

Sign in to follow this