wayki

Happiness - what is it?

I don't mean for you personally (e.g. a sunrise, a child smiling etc), I mean what actually is it?

Is it purely linked to the emotional body, and therefore impossible to be permanently maintained? For our emotional body is supposed to feel the different vibrations within our reality, and not just one. How else would the soul evolve and learn?

So when people say they seek to be happy what does this actually mean? That they want the high vibrational emotional states constantly (which is impossible unless in solitude, renouncing of sex etc)?

I think the goal is to maintain a solid inner peace, and a strong control of the mind -both which are achievable, but to also deeply feel each sadness and happiness - and then grow from them.

What are your thoughts?

www.waykiwayki.com

People are after pleasure. Very few of them know happiness aside from dopamine rushes, the relief associated with cessation of something which induces suffering, and the like. Most people are after the good feeling they mistake for happiness, not joy and higher vibrational states.

Even those concerned with achieving something loftier often fail to perceive the task at hand appropriately. If someone truly wishes to be "happy" in that sense, it comes from pleasant detachment. Being centered and solid enough within yourself that, no matter what arises, something negative inside you does not is a difficult feat to accomplish for most. Even those of us that have been graced with a taste often lose their way when their specific demons approach, or they fail to practice and maintain.

Vipassana practice led me to emptiness led me to the most balanced and happy times of my life. I'm working to get back there now, one breath at a time.

Thank you, sincerely, for helping me cement this in my mind a little better. Looking forward to a great thread!

*edited for word omission

Edited by unmike

I believe that happiness is to be at peace with our Self and contented with our condition.

But being content doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make things better if we can - just that we don't put any weight on whether we fail or succeed in making our life better.

Edited by Marblehead

Methinks you missed an "n't", sir...

Yep. Hehehe. I edited it.

Have I mentioned that I rarely proof-read my typing before posting? Hehehe.

Sometime people have more fun trying to figure out what I was saying than they get out of what I said.

But I'm still happy knowing that I'm not perfect.

If you have a desire for something it is pretty hard to be satisfied or happy until that desire gets met, some desires you will never get rid of like the desire for food but most of the others can supposedly be dropped, so to be happy you have to either satisfy all your desires or drop them completely.

If you have a desire for something it is pretty hard to be satisfied or happy until that desire gets met, some desires you will never get rid of like the desire for food but most of the others can supposedly be dropped, so to be happy you have to either satisfy all your desires or drop them completely.

Hi Jetsun!

While I do agree with the premise of your thoughts, I differ in one regard.

If, through the learned or natural ability of "being in the moment", you remove all future/past

desires and expectations from your mind and are content to just experience what is happening

right then, in that moment, then happiness is attainable.

Because we place so many expectations of what we "need" to be happy, in our own way, being able

to focus on that moment, without thinking of anything future or past gives us the

opportunity to be happy. With no expectations.... why would we be any other way?

The brain, and the ego are the masters of our desires.

Food, sex drive, and self preservation are probably the only primal needs

needing to be met, our desires for other things are driven by the society/culture we live in.

So, to me it seems, a focus on the Now, is akin to real happiness.

Hopefully I am making some sense... this is not something I've

had to put into words before.

Ram Dass...."Be here Now" Is a book all about being in the moment without expectation of anything

other than what is transpiring at that moment, and being accepting of whatever it may be.

Change your perception of what is and what we expect, and your onto something great.

Peace!

I believe that happiness is to be at peace with our Self and contented with our condition.

But being content doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make things better if we can - just that we don't put any weight on whether we fail or succeed in making our life better.

Actually I think you described serenity. In regards to happiness, no it can't be maintained forever. Like suffering, it is transient in nature. The best you can do is enjoy the times when you are happy. Also there's nothing that says you can't be happy, diminishing emotions isn't obliterating them, but rather being emotionally frugal, not allowing them to cloud your judgement.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Hi Strawdog,

Nice post. Yes, it made sense.

Hi Aaron,

Actually I think you described serenity. In regards to happiness, no it can't be maintained forever. Like suffering, it is transient in nature. The best you can do is enjoy the times when you are happy. Also there's nothing that says you can't be happy, diminishing emotions isn't obliterating them, but rather being emotionally frugal, not allowing them to cloud your judgement.

Aaron

You brought up a very valid point here, that is, "... no it can't be maintained forever ...", and I will speak to this.

First, I will define happiness as being at peace with one's Self (inner peace). Nothing less, nothing more. No need for jumping with joy.

I also see happiness from two points of view. Subconscious happiness and conscious happiness.

Now, I will suggest that if we are at peace with our Self (inner essence) there will never be anything external that can disturb that happiness. This is internal happiness. This is where the 'being at peace with one's Self' applies.

However, our external world is constantly in change. Shit happens. We become worried and concerned for our externals whether it be a girl friend, our job, our car, whatever. When we have these problems we go into a reaction mode and we think our world might be falling apart; we lose our external happiness. But at the end of the day, when we have done everything we can think of to do to correct these variances, we return to our inner essence and there it is, that happiness in knowing we have done our best. Whatever happens will be a result of cause and effect and we watch to see how things play out.

One of my favorite sayings is: Today is the first day of the rest of your life. This is to say that no matter what happens during our lifetime we adapt to the changes and, if necessary, start over again. I have been divorced three times; I know how to start over.

So while we are jumping and jerking, responding to our externals, if we know we are doing the best we can in responding I don't see where our inner happiness would ever deny us.

And, of course, contentment, which I mentioned above, is part of this external happiness. Knowing when we have enough.

• Like 1

Hi Strawdog,

Nice post. Yes, it made sense.

Hi Aaron,

You brought up a very valid point here, that is, "... no it can't be maintained forever ...", and I will speak to this.

First, I will define happiness as being at peace with one's Self (inner peace). Nothing less, nothing more. No need for jumping with joy.

I also see happiness from two points of view. Subconscious happiness and conscious happiness.

Now, I will suggest that if we are at peace with our Self (inner essence) there will never be anything external that can disturb that happiness. This is internal happiness. This is where the 'being at peace with one's Self' applies.

However, our external world is constantly in change. Shit happens. We become worried and concerned for our externals whether it be a girl friend, our job, our car, whatever. When we have these problems we go into a reaction mode and we think our world might be falling apart; we lose our external happiness. But at the end of the day, when we have done everything we can think of to do to correct these variances, we return to our inner essence and there it is, that happiness in knowing we have done our best. Whatever happens will be a result of cause and effect and we watch to see how things play out.

One of my favorite sayings is: Today is the first day of the rest of your life. This is to say that no matter what happens during our lifetime we adapt to the changes and, if necessary, start over again. I have been divorced three times; I know how to start over.

So while we are jumping and jerking, responding to our externals, if we know we are doing the best we can in responding I don't see where our inner happiness would ever deny us.

And, of course, contentment, which I mentioned above, is part of this external happiness. Knowing when we have enough.

Hello Marblehead,

I think you're missing my point. Happiness is a description we use to describe an emotional state. These are very much a product of our cultural upbringing. There are emotional states that appear in specific cultures, that don't appear in others, "Schadenfrued" is one example. My point is that "happiness" is defined differently by different people. So happiness to you might be "peace" and "contentment", but to someone else it may be something entirely different. I can't say that you could not sustain an emotional state indefinitely, but your description of an "internal" state seems to be absent of validation, in other words the only way one could prove it works is to experience it themselves.

I personally do not believe in the subconscious and conscious, there is only me. The Ego is an illusion, an excuse to push off responsibility for what I am actually doing in my life. The Tao Teh Ching never mentions Ego, only what is within. If I know myself, then I know me, and I also know the world.

Aaron

Hey guys

First good thread wayki a very interesting inquiry. I first thought happiness was related to being content with everything you are given. But i am not so sure now some good opinions have been presented.

People are after pleasure. Very few of them know happiness aside from dopamine rushes, the relief associated with cessation of something which induces suffering, and the like. Most people are after the good feeling they mistake for happiness, not joy and higher vibrational states.

I definitely agree with that statement. I believe that is what most people see as happiness, but since we are bums we know there is more to it.

Beautiful you knew how to say it much better then I. And your view of two differing happiness is intriguing. I never thought of it that way, but when i read what you wrote it resonated with me, so you may be on to something.

If, through the learned or natural ability of "being in the moment", you remove all future/past

desires and expectations from your mind and are content to just experience what is happening

right then, in that moment, then happiness is attainable.

I think this statement along with Marblehead's (quoted above) is a perfect perception of happiness. That Ram Dass book sounds quite awesome as well.

Damn good point Aaron. I feel happiness can not be maintained forever because for you to be happy that also means unhappiness is in your capacity. So it seems that true happiness is found when you forget the concept of happiness and stand in between unhappiness and happiness. The way i know how to do this is through living in the moment. So maybe serenity and happiness are closely related.

I can't say that you could not sustain an emotional state indefinitely, but your description of an "internal" state seems to be absent of validation, in other words the only way one could prove it works is to experience it themselves.

Aaron

Valid point. There is no way of testing it, only experiencing.

Hi Suited Guy,

Good points you brought up as well.

I have pretty much run out my happiness theory. Yes, it will be different for different individuals as well as what Aaron pointed out regarding cultural differences.

But I guess that if you wake in the morning without any worries you will be pretty close to being happy.

Is it purely linked to the emotional body, and therefore impossible to be permanently maintained? For our emotional body is supposed to feel the different vibrations within our reality, and not just one. How else would the soul evolve and learn?

Hi Wayki,

Interesting post.

IMHO happiness is simply a result of connecting the heart and mind.

Hi Wayki,

Interesting post.

IMHO happiness is simply a result of connecting the heart and mind.

Yeah, but I have a hard time defining the heart except to say that it is that organ that pumps blood through the body. (I guess that is why I try to use the subconscious as an alternative.)

Yeah, but I have a hard time defining the heart except to say that it is that organ that pumps blood through the body. (I guess that is why I try to use the subconscious as an alternative.)

I see what you mean, Marblehead.

i.e. that fuzzy feeling in the center of the chest at the height of the heart - connected with the mind it comes out naturally when practicing the inner smile for a while, but can appear sporadically and naturally without the intent to do so (e.g. when watching a comedy or drama that appeals or simply enjoying a given moment in time) or based on intensional connecting the two, stemming from e.g. guided meditation or intent :)

In summary, I think there are many ways to achieve happiness, but again I do believe it can only occur when the two are connected (i.e. the Yi and Xin if we want to use the Chinese terms of the intellectual, decision-making vs. the emotional mind, instead of referring to the chakras which cannot translate one-to-one to any organ). Incidentally, this union (of the two minds) is also the prerequisite for being successful in internal martial arts according to some of the texts passed down to us through various martial arts masters, several of which have been highlighted in Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming's books (although I don't recall him discussing happiness...) Sorry if this response got a bit long.

For a complex discussion on happiness I recommend the Happiness Hypothesis.

Happiness is a divine union of the unmanifest and manifest.

Bright blessings,

koma

That looks like it would be an interesting read.

I like your comment except I would have left the word 'divine' out of it.

So I was sitting here at the computer and I think, "I want a cup of coffee." I get up, walk toward the coffee pot and look out the window and think, "I want it to be warmer outside." (because it really is bitter cold outside). And then I think, "But I have what I need."

I think that this is the bottom line regarding contentment and the possibility of attaining happiness. Knowing that we have enough, that we have what we need for a comfortable life, and that anything beyond that is just frosting on the cake.

So I was sitting here at the computer and I think, "I want a cup of coffee." I get up, walk toward the coffee pot and look out the window and think, "I want it to be warmer outside." (because it really is bitter cold outside). And then I think, "But I have what I need."

I think that this is the bottom line regarding contentment and the possibility of attaining happiness. Knowing that we have enough, that we have what we need for a comfortable life, and that anything beyond that is just frosting on the cake.

Well said!!

I don't mean for you personally (e.g. a sunrise, a child smiling etc), I mean what actually is it?

So when people say they seek to be happy what does this actually mean? That they want the high vibrational emotional states constantly (which is impossible unless in solitude, renouncing of sex etc)?

I think the goal is to maintain a solid inner peace, and a strong control of the mind -both which are achievable, but to also deeply feel each sadness and happiness - and then grow from them.

What are your thoughts?

www.waykiwayki.com

It's a chemical reaction in the brain effecting the body, arising dependent upon ones state of mental focus. When the mind receives the object of desire, it goes still for a few seconds, and one experiences a state of joy as the dopamine rushes in.

Though I think there are a number of inner chemicals that arise naturally to facilitate joy and not just dopamine.

One can elongate this feeling either through drugs... not preferable due to deeply harmful side effects, or meditation and yogic or energy practices. In this way, one makes the state of joy independent from the senses and not dependent upon the senses. The result is actually that one derives more pleasure from the senses, even while not being caught up in them.

Edited by Vajrahridaya
  • Like 1

The state of joy will naturally arise when you become a bodhisattva and strive for bodhicitta. Nothing more pleasurable than this. Blessings. :)

Doing all the right things may not result in happiness, rather, i think happiness can well be the cause for doing many things right.