karen

The Enneagram Thread

Yael, I don't like Myers-Briggs either. The typing systems I like include The Enneagram, and homeopathic constitutional typing, but it's hard to find good books on the latter. The former is easy to find on the web.

The Enneagram I found extremely helpful sorting out relationship issues, but also validating my artistic (musical) constitution (I'm a Four).

-Karen

Oh, I wasn't saying I dislike Myers-Bruggs, just that particular test I posted the link for seemed inaccurate. I wanted to do M/B because a friend of mine has tons of literature from her job (as a career counselor, oddly enough) she could send me if I figure out my "type."

I did read a book in high school with Jung typing in it that was pretty interesting...archetypes.

I don't like the Enneagram because it says I'm an 8. :angry:

Edited by Lozen

hahahaha :lol: ! brilliant - the most 8ish thing you could have said!

Yes, Sean and I have been over this.

Oh yeah, and also I'm supposed to say I don't believe in the Enneagram. B)

Yes, Sean and I have been over this.

Oh yeah, and also I'm supposed to say I don't believe in the Enneagram. B)

8's really don't like anything that looks like a box they are being forced into. :lol:

The Enneagram doesn't have to tell you what you are :). You can read all the types and decide which you resonate with, and how you can learn from it. It's not so much a box to fit into, but that we tend to limit ourselves in certain ways.

"I am not a number -- I am a free (wo)man!" -- '60's TV series The Prisoner (out on DVD and awesome)

Also,

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own."

Love that stuff :).

But the quiz and Sean both say I'm an eight!

Methinks the lady doth protest too much!! ;)

Plus why do you have to only be one number? ;)

Plus why do you have to only be one number? ;)

Why did you get the idea that you had to? ;)

Just because some "authority" said so? That's not very 8 of you ;)

Why did you get the idea that you had to? ;)

Just because some "authority" said so? That's not very 8 of you ;)

LOL. Too funny. The sign of a true healer. B)

Interesting this came up now, because I hadn't looked at the Enneagram probably for 10 years. So I just looked at it again, and I'm resonating more with 1 and 3 than with 4. And now doing some EFT for wanting to find the perfect number :lol:

But it was a really helpful tool for understanding how people in your life usually behave from their own patterns, not necessarily because of anything to do with you.

Like the guy who was just being his 7-ness :).

-Karen

Interesting this came up now, because I hadn't looked at the Enneagram probably for 10 years. So I just looked at it again, and I'm resonating more with 1 and 3 than with 4. And now doing some EFT for wanting to find the perfect number :lol:

Karen, you could be a 4 with a 3 wing. 4's move toward 1 in times of relaxation and security (whereas they move toward 2 in times of stress). I'm a 4w5 and resonate with your personality type a lot, but I resonate decently with both 4's and 1's.

Sean

BOXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen, you could be a 4 with a 3 wing.

Sorry Sean.

BOXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Sean.

But Lozen, you were the one who told me that the deeper you go with meditation, the more Jewish you become. To me race is a more arbitary box than patterns of motivation that the Enneagram identifies.

Sean

But Lozen, you were the one who told me that the deeper you go with meditation, the more Jewish you become. To me race is a more arbitary box than patterns of motivation that the Enneagram identifies.

Sean

I said the more I meditate, the more Jewish I FEEL, not become. :P

I said the more I meditate, the more Jewish I FEEL, not become. :P

That makes sense. I'm just trying to reframe the perception of Enneagram as a box. Actually Eli Jaxon-Bear, Gangaji's husband I believe, has a book on the Enneagram that starts out by saying the Ennegram is a description of what you are not, but what you habitually think you are, and so therefore consistently manifest.

Sean

Good insight, Sean, thanks. I may even be moving toward 7, what with all this variety :lol:

Would be interesting to look at this at different stages of life and see the shifts.. or, just wait an hour.

Would be interesting to look at this at different stages of life and see the shifts.. or, just wait an hour.

I take that test every 2 years. Its pretty interesting, I took it a while ago when I was drinking and partying heavily and then just about 2 years ago (I'm about due for another) after I had calmed down quite a bit. The results changed right in line with what they said they would be. Pretty awesome. They have a great book on all the personality types and the level of adavancement within each, its pretty cool to see where you are where you could go (but dont limit yourself with it)...that may be the pitfall to all this "typing" stuff, you stick yourself in a box that someone else says should fit (just a thought).

Well, Enneagram purists believe your type is inborn and doesn't fundamentally change.

Yes, however in the book Personalty Types they explain how there are 9 levels of health for each type. At lower levels you exihibit characteristics typical of other types. This variation occurs per some scheme they have observed and the same scheme fit me, apparently (I'm due for another soon) we'll see if it holds up;)

Actually Eli Jaxon-Bear, Gangaji's husband I believe, has a book on the Enneagram that starts out by saying the Ennegram is a description of what you are not, but what you habitually think you are, and so therefore consistently manifest.

That sounds worse to me that it being what you are. Especially if you can't control your consistent manifestation of it.

That sounds worse to me that it being what you are. Especially if you can't control your consistent manifestation of it.

You can't control it when it's unconscious, but as you become conscious, you can master it :).

-Karen

You can't control it when it's unconscious, but as you become conscious, you can master it :).

So I can turn into a 7 or a 5? ;)

So I can turn into a 7 or a 5? ;)

You could release the belief that forms such a question, and then see where you are. Not your idea of fun? ;)

All this winking is becoming too vatagenic for me.

LOL. I met this Ayurvedic practitioner at the herb conference, and he told me I was tri-doshic. Kapha/Pitta body, Vatta mind, or Vata/Pitta mind, or something.