Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Opinions?

So one of the things I've interpreted from the Tao Teh Ching is opinions should be restrained. I don't know if this is right or not.

I know that technically you can't have an opinion because that would only be an objective analysis of a situation. An objective analysis would create factions and I suppose fighting.

EX:"When people see things as beautiful, ugliness is created."

Anyways, I'm confused in part by this and I wonder how things would be if I relinquish my opinions. I'm a vegetarian- possibly going on vegan- and I like animals a lot. I really don't believe in animal abuse and I feel like if I didn't have an opinion I would not be able to side with animal activists. I understand that taoism tells us that there is an opposite side to every situation and that neither is good or bad. So does that mean that I can't dislike animal abuse? :blink:

I can see why other people wouldn't care for animals... and I know that I could forgive them because it's just the way they were raised, but I don't see how remaining inactive would end up helping the animals. Many laws and policies are changed through the work of stubborn animal activists like PETA members. Maybe if I considered it in relation to people. In the case of a serial killer, would it be bad to take a side against him/her and perform an arrest?

So what are your interpretations on the use/disuse of opinions and taking sides on issues, as far as Tao perspective goes? I still don't quite understand how this works and I want to see what you guys think.

Here's my take on it; Labeling and judging create filters that distort reality. When you drop them action can still be taken, but it is done egolessly and simply, without stories and justifications running through your mind.

Michael

• Like 1

Hi Dusk,

I agree with Thelerner. I know that the words say the the Sage has no opinions of his/her own. I'm not a Sage. (Thank goodness for that!)

I have opinions. It is just that we should not hold so strongly to our opinions that it prevents us from changing with the changes of Tao (life).

Yes, we should care. Yes, we should try to prevent abuse whenever it is appropriate for us to do so.

We each should live our life in a manner that brings us inner peace. We need opinions in order to do this efficiently, I think.

If we don't stand for something we can fall for anything...

This world and mostly living in it is not the void - which is void of opinions.

Om

I perceive a trend toward Polls at the moment on the board, so I'm going with the flow, as I have no opinions about polls, particularly, one way or the other.

AN OPINION POLL.

How you feel around very opinionated people?

a) Relaxed!

B) Happy and Open!

c) Great, it's a chance to voice my opinions. (I used to swap toy cars and go 'vroooom' with them, now I have opinions, so much more portable!)

d) Bored with them.

What does 'having opinions' do for you?

a) make you believe you have a mind

B) gives you a sense that you have discrimination, power, control over what comes at you

c) gives you the opportunity to be strident when with others

d) limits you to a stance

What is an opinion?

a) a small onion

B) a cluster of adherences somewhat like plaque, but in the thoughts instead of the teeth

c)a treasured possession that defines you and boosts your sense of self or even creates your identity

d)a point of view that creates comfort, as a full stop creates comfort at the close of a sentence

e) possibly a shallot

• Like 2

The word "opinion" has to be better defined and or qualified, not unlike how the word "love" does.

if I understand your question right:

An open heart does not pass judgment but sees things as they are and takes action accordingly nonetheless.

According to Rudolf Steiner, eagerness to speak out or against 'deafens' the ears and repels higher knowledge, which in my down-to-earth experience seemed true.

it's a theme I've come across in more than one 'tradition' (theosophy/anthroposophy, yoga, alchemical taoism) but if you need a strictly taoist/tao te ching perspective don't take my words for it.

Ok, so thanks for clarifying this everyone, I think I understand it somewhat now. :)

And I may be missing the point entirely but I feel like what you're all saying is I can have opinions and I can take action but I can't judge or hold opinions when thinking of people, places or things. Sort of... it's along those lines anyway.

If I'm totally wrong feel free to correct me, but thanks for the comments!

Ok, so thanks for clarifying this everyone, I think I understand it somewhat now. :)

And I may be missing the point entirely but I feel like what you're all saying is I can have opinions and I can take action but I can't judge or hold opinions when thinking of people, places or things. Sort of... it's along those lines anyway.

If I'm totally wrong feel free to correct me, but thanks for the comments!

Close enough for government work, I think.

The main thing is to not place our expectations on other people, other animals, of things.

Dusk,

Because we do live in the world of 10,000 things,

we will have strong emotional feeling towards what we

individually perceive as injustices in this world.

Unless you are able to do the Sage thing with no

issues!...

You just have to follow what your conscience

tells you is the best/most understanding/ most non-

interfering way, making a decision that you can live with.

If your conscience tells you it is unjust to eat meat, then

I'd say you have your answer.

Applied to everyday living... I use it in the way

that is most forgiving and understanding.

Keeping the awareness that we are to flow

with the natural course of what lies ahead of us

and see the beauty of saying yes to what unfolds

on it's own, without us trying to constantly control

and force things into being as we think they should be.

If an action feels unnatural to you, then listen to

your true nature, and act accordingly....

You will always feel lighter, when you do not carry the

burden of a decision based on values that are not your own.

Peace! :lol:

Sign in to follow this