Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

to macgyver or not to macgyver that is the question.

So i was wondering how many fellow bums macgyver in there spiritual practices like have instructors all the way and dont do anything with out seeking guidance?

And who here does some stuff with instructors and such but kind of macgyvers there own way?

And who in here totally macgyvers it all the way?

:lol: Nice way of asking questions!

I dunno, I kinda approach the subjects of energetics, meditation, spirituality, etc etc, in a skeptical way (even my own practices). There are a lot of cognitive biases out there. A lot of ways that you can fool yourself and others can fool you. If you show up to a teacher, fork over X amount of money, you are kind of already expecting to get something out of it. So if a teacher does something to/around you, you are naturally going to feel something (most likely). Is this a real effect? Or is it just you hoping to get some value from the money you spent?

These are the types of questions I ask myself.

I believe that if this stuff is real, it should be discoverable through your own effort. Someone had to discover it. Thousands of years ago, SOMEONE had to be the first person. Maybe they knew it naturally. Maybe it was revealed by a deity. Maybe something else. I dunno. But someone had to be the first, then someone had to be the second.... how did they do it? How did they convey the teachings? How did they experiment with this stuff? Were they any more or less human than us? They did it and they were just as human then as you are now.

So I think the practices can (and should) be discovered as independently as possible. I think you should know as much about the pitfalls of the human consciousness as possible.

HOWEVER, some traditions have been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. The things the human body can handle, go through, and be trained to do, are down to an exact science (such as yoga, qigong, etc). Things that a teacher from a legitimate lineage holds in their possession would most likely take you several lifetimes, unless (or even if) you were a genius, or were favored by some deity, or had a particular energy disposition. Experimenting with this stuff on your own could get you seriously messed up.

Basically, feel out what sort of blend comes natural to you. Don't rely too much on teachers, but don't discount the knowledge and experience, as well as highly refined techniques, and words of caution, that they can pass on. Don't discount your own efforts, but don't get too egotistic thinking you can accomplish everything a thousand year old tradition did in a few short months/years. But don't rely too much on doctrine, and try to go where your own INDIVIDUAL practice takes you.

Or, everything you've heard is all a bunch of lies told by people to justify a lifetime of sitting along in the wilderness.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Listening is very beneficial. Sometimes you can learn a practice but then get a message to do it a bit differently. There is a major difference between thinking about your practice analytically and just listening for directions from the universe.

Some masters tell their students to face certain directions when meditating in different times of day. One thing we learn in SFQ is "body compass" which means first asking which direction one should be facing when practicing. Then just wait for the universe to move you in the right direction. At first I couldn't tune in to the forces around me. Nowadays I feel a pushing sensation in the sides of my head telling me which way to turn, then a nice centered feeling around the third eye area that tells me I'm facing the right way. Sometimes there is a push in the back of my head telling me to step forward.

Righto, amd then he moved on to Stargate or SG-1 and did well there getting into and out of all sorts of jams with his buddies. :o;)

Righto, amd then he moved on to Stargate or SG-1 and did well there getting into and out of all sorts of jams with his buddies. :o;)

I enjoyed Macgyver in space AKA SG-1.

He got enlightened (or was that just his buddies) and started talking like a old sage too B)

Sign in to follow this