dwai

Bhagavad Gita - Chapter 1 (Part-2): Yoga of the Despondency of Arjuna

http://www.medhajournal.com/vedanta-jyoti----the-light-on-vedanta/1057-bhagavad-gita-chapter-1-part-2-yoga-of-the-despondency-of-arjuna.html

When the Gods deal defeat to a person, they first take his mind away, so that he sees things wrongly. Time does not raise a stick and hit a man's head; the power of Time is just this topsy-turvy view of things.

-- Dhritarashtra (Mahabharata - The Book of the Assembly Hall)

Concepts and Issues

We have studied the text of the 1st Chapter last time. We shall now have a critical look at it. As we take up our seats in the comfortable opera house at Kurukshetra, the panorama unfolding before us on the stage is the gigantic field of the battle between the Kauravas and the Pandavas. While the text mentions the names of a number of characters about to play their roles on both the sides, we are concerned with only three of them for our critical evaluation. They are 1. King Dhritarashtra 2. The valiant Arjuna and 3. Bhagavan Sri Krishna, who assumed the role of a charioteer to Arjuna.

If we analyze their mindsets we automatically understand the concepts and issues involved and their complexity. The immortal appeal of the Gita lies in the guided tour the Jagad Guru, Sri Krishna, takes us through the annoying wide-spread pot-holes of ignorance (lack of right knowledge, avidya in Sanskrit) on the road and who ultimately makes it possible for us to reach the destination of enlightenment, free from the shackles of bondage. This journey from darkness to light is definitely exasperating at times but yet manageable.

The Gita will be with me for the rest of my life... such potent words, such insight to be contemplated

I look forward to seeing where this thread goes.

I'm a huge fan of the Jnaneshwari (Jnaneshwars Gita) Not your run of the mill commentaries, and more of an expansion of the entire story with a large amount of added and nuanced detail. Jnaneshwar was an incredible poet! His rendering of the BG is unparalleled! Oh how I love Jnaneshwar!