Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Taoist Philosophy - Chapter 87

Following The Constant

To perceive the small is called “discernment”.
To hold on to the pliant is called “strength”.
If you use the rays to return to the bright light,
You’ll not abandon your life to peril.
This is called Following the Constant.

He who can see the small is clear-sighted;
He who stays by gentility is strong.
Use the light, and return to clear-sightedness;
Thus causing not yourself later distress.
This is to rest in the Absolute.

The Inner Law

He whose law is within himself walks in hiddenness. His acts are not influenced by approval or disapproval. He whose law is outside himself directs his will to what is beyond his control and seeks to extend his power over objects.

He who walks in hiddenness has light to guide him in all his acts. He who seeks to extend his control is nothing but an operator. While he thinks he is surpassing others, others see him merely straining; stretching to stand on tiptoe.

When he tries to extend his power over objects, those objects gain control of him. He who is controlled by objects loses his inner self. If he no longer values himself, how can he value others? If he no longer values others, he is abandoned. He has nothing left.

The Deadliest Weapon

There is no deadlier weapon than the will! The sharpest sword is not equal to it!

On Becoming An Immortal

The emperor sat on the throne for nineteen years, and his laws obtained all over the empire. On hearing that a Sage was living on the mountain, he went there to see him, and said, “I am told that you are in possession of perfect Tao. May I ask what is its essence? I desire to obtain the essence of the Universe to secure good harvests and feed my people, and control the Yin and Yang principles to fulfill the life of all living things.”

“What you are asking about”, replied the Sage, “is merely the substance of matter. What you wish to control are the remnant forms. Ever since the empire was governed by you, the clouds have rained before thickening, the foliage of trees has fallen before turning yellow, and the brightness of the sun and moon has increasingly paled. You have the shallowness of mind of a glib talker. How then are you fit to speak of perfect Tao?”

The emperor withdrew. He resigned the throne. He built himself a solitary hut, and sat upon white straw. For three months he remained in seclusion, and then went again to see the Sage.

The latter was lying with his head towards the south. The emperor approached from below upon his knees. Bowing twice he said, “I am told that you are in possession of perfect Tao. May I ask how to order one’s life so that one may have long life?”

The Sage jumped up with a start. “A good question indeed!”, cried he. “Come, and I will speak to you of perfect Tao. The essence of perfect Tao is profoundly mysterious; its extent is lost in obscurity.

“See nothing; hear nothing; guard your soul in quietude and your body will go right of its own accord. Be quiet, be pure, abuse not your body, perturb not your vital essence, and you will live forever. For if the eye sees nothing, and the ear hears nothing, and the mind thinks nothing, the Spirit will stay in your body, and the soul will thereby live forever. Cherish that which is within you, and shut off that which is without; for much knowledge is a curse.

“Then I will take you to that abode of Great Light to reach the Plateau of Absolute Yang. I will lead you through the Door of the Dark Unknown to the Plateau of the Absolute Yin. There you shall rest forever.

“The Heaven and Earth have their separate functions. The Yin and Yang have their hidden root. Guard carefully your body and soul, and material things will prosper by themselves. I guard the One and rest in harmony with externals.”

The emperor bowed twice and said, “This Sage is surely immortal.”

“Come”, said the Sage, “I will tell you. Men regard as mortal that which is eternal, and consider as finite that which is infinite. Nowadays, all living things spring from the dust and to the dust return. But I will lead you through the portals of Eternity to wander in the great wilds of Infinity. My light is the light of the sun and moon. My life is the life of Heaven and Earth. Before me all is nebulous; behind me all is dark, unknown. Men may all die, but Tao endures forever.”

Edited by Marblehead

I am very sure there is but because of my interests I never did any research on it. I would think that a religious or alchemic Taoist might know its significance.

Yes, perhaps one will wander past and enlighten us :)

"The Deadliest Weapon

There is no deadlier weapon than the will! The sharpest sword is not equal to it!"

Only a total purity of love melded with wisdom and will is invincible, all other forms of will alone will fail and fall before it.

Om

Only a total purity of love melded with wisdom and will is invincible, all other forms of will alone will fail and fall before it.

Om

Yeah, well, you know me Bob, I don't talk about love too often. There are plenty of you folks around here who love talking about love.

Marblehead - Is this ChuangTzu? Which inner chapter? Whose translation? Thanks!

The Inner Law

He whose law is within himself walks in hiddenness. His acts are not influenced by approval or disapproval. He whose law is outside himself directs his will to what is beyond his control and seeks to extend his power over objects.

He who walks in hiddenness has light to guide him in all his acts. He who seeks to extend his control is nothing but an operator. While he thinks he is surpassing others, others see him merely straining; stretching to stand on tiptoe.

When he tries to extend his power over objects, those objects gain control of him. He who is controlled by objects loses his inner self. If he no longer values himself, how can he value others? If he no longer values others, he is abandoned. He has nothing left.

Maybe the reason we're able to discern the small is because the dross has been removed; the cataracts in our eyes begin to dissipate and we are able to see. Finally.

To hold on to the pliant is called "strength". It must be saying here that the pliant we need to hold is the Tao. We look to the Sage as our life model. We take our provision cart with us wherever we go.

Nicely said. I really like that second paragraph.

Marblehead - Is this ChuangTzu? Which inner chapter? Whose translation? Thanks!

PM sent.

For anyone else interested, a parallel quote can be found in Chapter 23 Geng-sang Chu, James Legge's translation of Chuang Tzu.

PM sent.

For anyone else interested, a parallel quote can be found in Chapter 23 Geng-sang Chu, James Legge's translation of Chuang Tzu.

Tks! PM just now read; disregard request. Unless you want to. LOL

Tks! PM just now read; disregard request. Unless you want to. LOL

Yey! Why not? Okay, that paragraph from James Legge:

He whose rule of life is in himself does not act for the sake of a name. He whose rule is outside himself has his will set on extensive acquisition. He who does not act for the sake of a name emits a light even in his ordinary conduct; he whose will is set on extensive acquisition is but a trafficker. Men see how he stands on tiptoe, while he thinks that he is overtopping others. Things enter (and take possession of) him who (tries to) make himself exhaustively (acquainted with them), while when one is indifferent to them, they do not find any lodgment in his person. And how can other men find such lodgment? But when one denies lodgment to men, there are none who feel attachment to him. In this condition he is cut off from other men. There is no weapon more deadly than the will - even Mo-ye was inferior to it. There is no robber greater than the Yin and Yang, from whom nothing can escape of all between heaven and earth. But it is not the Yin and Yang that play the robber - it is the mind that causes them to do so.

So once again I regret not noting references when I did my initial work on my "Taoist Philosophy". To all my Buddhist friends, I will do a better job at it during my next life.

Yeah, well, you know me Bob, I don't talk about love too often. There are plenty of you folks around here who love talking about love.

Hello Marblehead,

I've heard you talk about the "manifest" often enough ... and what else is the purity of "Love" if not the highest nature made manifest and in action? For example in TTC 25: "to go on is to be far" thus with such potential made manifest. Anyway, I often hear references in your texts to that which you embrace but also seem to make sure you fully reserve the right to shy away from. But what the hell do I know?

Om

Edited by 3bob

Sign in to follow this