Sign in to follow this  
fiveelementtao

Norse Taoism?

I just published a new book sharing my experiences investigating my ethnic ancestral shamanic spiritual traditions. Someone close to me jokingly referred to it as Norse Taoism. there are alot of similarities with Taoist and Teutonic Cosmology. I did find that there are connections between early Teutonic Shamanism, Siberian Shamanism and Early Taoist Shamanism... I did not delve deeply into those connections in this first book, but those familiar with these disciplines will see the connections...

Anyway... Some on this forum have asked me to announce when the book would be ready for purchase. So here it is. As you can see in my signature, the Title is "The Thunder Wizard Path." You can search for it on Lulu.com, follow the link in my signature, or you can see a free preview on the website www.ThunderWizard.com

It is available in both paperback and download format...

I hope it is entertaining. Thanks for your interest:)

Blessings,

Mike

• Like 1

Its nice to know their our so many experienced practitioners on the site. I actually just began reading about Shamanism and just made a post on the topic that you might enjoy.

I have piles of unread books, but i will be sure to put yours on my list.

-Peace, Chris

This looks very good. A lot of hard work and study has obviously gone into publishing your book

My ancestry is of the Norse people, but I have never really looked at the ancient shamanic practices of that culture.

Maybe it's time to do just that.

Thanks for this.

ok... i viewed the website and i still dont understand what it has to do with thunder does it deal with thunder magic?

i read both websites before i asked my question. This does not explain at all what the "thunder" in thunder wizard means. Is it thunder magic? do you create thunder? do you deal with thunder deities and so on?

You didn't look hard enough. The answer to your question is on the thunderwizard website, but you may have to do some digging to find it and it is very easily found in the book.

I just published a new book sharing my experiences investigating my ethnic ancestral shamanic spiritual traditions. Someone close to me jokingly referred to it as Norse Taoism. there are alot of similarities with Taoist and Teutonic Cosmology. I did find that there are connections between early Teutonic Shamanism, Siberian Shamanism and Early Taoist Shamanism... I did not delve deeply into those connections in this first book, but those familiar with these disciplines will see the connections...

Anyway... Some on this forum have asked me to announce when the book would be ready for purchase. So here it is. As you can see in my signature, the Title is "The Thunder Wizard Path." You can search for it on Lulu.com, follow the link in my signature, or you can see a free preview on the website www.ThunderWizard.com

It is available in both paperback and download format...

I hope it is entertaining. Thanks for your interest:)

Blessings,

Mike

May I ask who you studied 'shamanism' with? and where?

"It is no longer necessary to study foreign spiritual disciplines to learn tribal, Earth-centered spiritual practices."

I agree with this, though I also feel that cultural appropriation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation) is still cultural appropriation even if that culture is gone. Why bother with these cultural terms at all? I remember being told that it is daft for a Westerner to try to study Mikkyo Buddhism as the symbology inherent in the system is too alien, yet the symbology in Western esoteric lineages connected to Western religions can be just as alien if not explained. If the practice is solid and the experiences of the student are cultivated with the teacher, who explains the terms within that context. The terminology or cosmology will make sense, it doesn't matter who they are.

When the spirits teach it is beyond such terms, which only come about from trying to teach. So why start using old dead cultural terms, at least some of the Chinese lineages still exist.

If you want to play the genes game, then according to current understandings of genetic research we can trace back to whichever culture we want all the way back to Africa.

No offence meant. I'm genuinely curious,

May I ask who you studied 'shamanism' with? and where?

"It is no longer necessary to study foreign spiritual disciplines to learn tribal, Earth-centered spiritual practices."

I agree with this, though I also feel that cultural appropriation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation) is still cultural appropriation even if that culture is gone. Why bother with these cultural terms at all? I remember being told that it is daft for a Westerner to try to study Mikkyo Buddhism as the symbology inherent in the system is too alien, yet the symbology in Western esoteric lineages connected to Western religions can be just as alien if not explained. If the practice is solid and the experiences of the student are cultivated with the teacher, who explains the terms within that context. The terminology or cosmology will make sense, it doesn't matter who they are.

When the spirits teach it is beyond such terms, which only come about from trying to teach. So why start using old dead cultural terms, at least some of the Chinese lineages still exist.

If you want to play the genes game, then according to current understandings of genetic research we can trace back to whichever culture we want all the way back to Africa.

No offence meant. I'm genuinely curious,

My friend, if you are truly curious, you will do a more thorough read of the website. I address all of those concerns there. If you had read the website thoroughly you would not have even brought up the subject of genetics or cultural appropriation as I make myself very clear about that.

Just to let others who may not know me or my history with this forum: Please forgive me, I am somewhat sensitive based on my past experience on this forum. You should know: I will not spoonfeed anyone answers. I will not respond to any perceived baiting, cynical, lazy or critical questions. If however, someone is truly curious and I feel they are being respectful, they will find I am a very accomodating person.

If you have a criticism, since this is a free forum, feel free to state your criticism as a statement, but please don't mask a criticism in the form of a question...

fiveelementtao has put together a great, very extensive website. There are lots of links and sub-links, so maybe some pages aren't being seen? Check the side bar when you open a new page, and it display some sub-pages.

fiveelementtao has been around a while, and has provided lots of help to lots of people, as well as, in general, giving great advice and insight. From what I know, he's pursued his path with great dedication and has a lot to show for it. I think the product he's putting out now has come about from a lot of work and experience.

Maybe we don't all like the labels used and stuff, but I don't think that these products are things that will take you off the path.

you see my master is a taoist and he like his teachers has attained the tao and know the workings of it inside and out.

This all sounds rather interesting- who is your teacher?

• Like 1

:blink:

I had no idea my thread was going to become so entertaining...

What I find entertaining is the answer to the original question.

Thunder Wizard :D

:blink:

I had no idea my thread was going to become so entertaining...

Looks really interesting. Nice to see you are going somewhere in your research. I can recall some time ago when you mentioned that which seemed to be the seed of this book.

Well done. I encourage all to check out 5ET's website supporting this book. Seems like a ton of info available for free.

PS - And we wonder why Mr Denney is so reluctant to enter the fray here :unsure:

Craig

I am downloading the ebook right now. Had some major difficulties with the download. Finally got it to work.

My friend, if you are truly curious, you will do a more thorough read of the website. I address all of those concerns there.

I think you mis-read me, by quite some distance. Shame.

Actually I read through it quite thoroughly, it was that reading that led to my questions, which in my opinion were NOT answered by the info on your site, hence me asking them here. Not to challenge you, but as a way of simply finding out your opinion. Given that you posted about it here on a public forum I figured that was your intention, giving us a chance to know about your work and to ask questions about it.

I'm sorry you've been trolled so much in the past you are jaded by queries, but I can appreciate it. (Given what else happened on this thread, well)

If you had read the website thoroughly you would not have even brought up the subject of genetics or cultural appropriation as I make myself very clear about that.

Actually, no. You use terminology drawn from various cultures and times in history all under one 'roof'. Cultural appropriation is the borrowing or use of cultural terms from outside that culture (see the wiki article linked previously if you need to). Given that NO ONE today is continuing a direct line from the historical cultures you are using to frame your shamanism, and that you are using various parts of various cultures, then that IS "the adoption of some specific elements of one culture by a different cultural group" by definition.

I am NOT trying to KNOCK you for doing that, I am also NOT trying to say it makes your work pointless or 'fake'. But it is what it is. I wanted to know why, when you say something like "It is no longer necessary to study foreign spiritual disciplines to learn tribal, Earth-centered spiritual practices." you are still in effect doing this. THAT is what I was curious about, not your work directly but about your feelings regarding aspects of it.

I appreciate that you had an experience that showed you aspects that led you to look at European traditions, I was just curious about what led you to develop a modern 'shamanic' path using dead terms drawn from a variety of historical "European" cultures. Given that such terms are meaningless outside of their respective cultures unless one is 'educated' in to an understanding of them, whether this comes from spirit directly (as seems to be the case with yourself) or from teachers.

I was also curious about whether you had started out in any of the other Heathen reconstruction or revival groups and studied their forms of 'shamanism', hence me asking about who you studied with. Not that doing so, or not doing so validates or invalidates your work, I was simply curious.

Why the curiosity, primarily similar interests, and I find it interesting to hear the thoughts and reasonings of someone who has obviously put in a lot of thought, study, and reserach into their work. I don't always agree, and I don't expect you or anyone else to always agree with me either, but sometimes debate, and discussion can be good, no?

As for genetics, I mentioned that because on YOUR SITE you say "The Teutonic myths unlock spiritual secrets hidden in our genes, language and culture." This sentence taken together with the one quoted above taken from earlier in the same web-page, gives the implication that you are saying that as Westerners we are genetically predisposed to 'get' the European based "shamanism" more than say, Oriental lineages. THATS why I mentioned genetics, because I READ your site.

Just to let others who may not know me or my history with this forum: Please forgive me, I am somewhat sensitive based on my past experience on this forum. You should know: I will not spoonfeed anyone answers.

OK, so you have 'history', maybe you should say 'baggage'. That is understandable, anyone who posts about their work on a forum is going to get fed up after a while if they take flak. Please understand, I don't want you or anyone else to spoonfeed me, I read your site I had questions, I asked you shot me down. Fair enough. Curiosity killed that cat after all ; p

I will not respond to any perceived baiting, cynical, lazy or critical questions.

No one was baiting you, cynical is a general state of my being so apologies if that upsets you, but its part of my 'baggage' like you have yours, lazy? I'll let that slide as you seem to consider reading through your website and becoming curious and then asking you questions as being lazy.

If however, someone is truly curious and I feel they are being respectful, they will find I am a very accomodating person.

Nice backhanded comment there, :)

If you have a criticism, since this is a free forum, feel free to state your criticism as a statement, but please don't mask a criticism in the form of a question...

Whoah, ok I think your 'history' is making you somewhat overly sensitive and paranoid. One, I am simply not intelligent enough to be so underhanded, two I don't play 'games' in life let alone on forums, three it wasn't a statement it was a QUESTION!, and so it was written as one, maybe it was written badly, but it was still a question. If you don't want to answer any of my questions then that is fine. As I said, I was curious.

Anyway, I can see you think I'm just attacking you, so I don't expect you to answer my questions. I have in this post simply tried to elucidate my first post to make it clear I was simply asking some questions that arose when I read through your web-site.

Good luck with your work,

PS. And yes this is a statement. I know the concept of leylines has been high jacked by New Age people based on the beliefs of a couple of dowsers, and now people talk of them as energetic. But the original concept which is really less than a hundred years old has NOTHING to do with energy lines of anything, let alone Teutonic anything. Why you are using this term in your Teutonic shamanic practice as way to describe Chinese Meridian theory is beyond me.

PS. And yes this is a statement. I know the concept of leylines has been high jacked by New Age people based on the beliefs of a couple of dowsers, and now people talk of them as energetic. But the original concept which is really less than a hundred years old has NOTHING to do with energy lines of anything, let alone Teutonic anything. Why you are using this term in your Teutonic shamanic practice as way to describe Chinese Meridian theory is beyond me.

Hmmm

I think you covered a lot in this little PS paragraph. I think, based upon what little I have read about ley lines that they are WAY more than hinted at in lore more than 100 years old, and not just created out of whole cloth by "a couple of dowsers".

also, despite your attempts at discourse, your approach does seem subtly challenging and denigrating of the mans work.

5ET does have a history and has described a preference of limited engagement which he has kept to here quite consistently for some time. So good luck going further with this dialog.

PS of my own. Maybe you could start a thread about Chinese Geomancy and how Ley lines do or don't exist.

Craig

Thanks VCraig. It's been awhile since that workshop in Portland...

Two questions that are unlikely to get a favorable response are ones that start with: "OK I'll Bite" or end with "No offense intended." IME These kinds of questions rarely produce fruitful conversations.

This is a very personal path that I have embarked upon and I am happy to share it with anyone truly interested. I have and will continue to make the basics of this path freely available to anyone via the website, podcasts, videos, books, etc... Because I believe it can be very healing to alot of people. What you see on there now is just the beginning. I have barely scratched the surface.

So, If someone truly wants to talk to me, it is very easy to do right now because this is a new path that is still taking shape and I am very excited about it and I do want to talk about it... But,seriously, think it through...It's not rocket science. If you are interested in a response from me, just be nice to me and I will be nice back.

:D

Hmmm

I think you covered a lot in this little PS paragraph. I think, based upon what little I have read about ley lines that they are WAY more than hinted at in lore more than 100 years old, and not just created out of whole cloth by "a couple of dowsers".

also, despite your attempts at discourse, your approach does seem subtly challenging and denigrating of the mans work.

5ET does have a history and has described a preference of limited engagement which he has kept to here quite consistently for some time. So good luck going further with this dialog.

PS of my own. Maybe you could start a thread about Chinese Geomancy and how Ley lines do or don't exist.

Craig

If you know where leylines, as the term 'leylines', are referenced in old European texts please tell me, I'd like to know.

They were not invented by dowsers, the concept was hijacked by them and turned into something else.

If you want to talk about energy lines associated with the Earth fine, but they are NOT what leylines are, except in the minds of those that liked to mix and blend ideas during the New Age. Pedantic? maybe but the guy who first threw out the concept is connected to my hometown and so yes I kinda feel the need to set the record straight on occasion.

As for his original concept and work, it wasn't accepted by the archaeologists of his day, and always seems to have remained a 'fringe' idea. Which is probably why it got hijacked and altered into something else entirely by people with their own agenda. As for the validity of energetic lines crisscrossing the Earth found by dowsers, well I'll leave that for each individual to believe as they wish. Funny though, energy lines don't tend to be dead straight usually, just a thought.

I had questions, sorry if they came out as 'challenging'. End of the day I don't care enough to bother with any attempts at further dialog, I had queries, asked them got shot down. I'm not bothered if 5ET wants to talk or not that is his perogative, he posted so figured he did, my bad. I wanted to clarify given the fact that the reply I got clearly mis-understood me. So I posted again, thats it. People see the patterns in the world that they see, that is the way of things, no-one is immune. Cultivation is meant to teach you to discern truth from falsehood, that is what practice is for and teachers are there as a guide. What is true? what is not? Yet there is no singular truth, it is for each individual to find.

I'm not interested in starting any threads about any cultural forms of Geomancy. All i'll say is that there is a reason why this stuff comes out from the cultures it does, and the later 'tables of correspondences' that people espouse in their systems today are usually highly contrived and only keep the would be student at arms length from that which they try to understand. Just think about why the compass and so many of these things crop up in the older traditions?

Similar has also happened with the "Nordic" cosmology, most of the 'patterns' of which have little to do with the actual descriptions in the old texts (many of which contradict each other due to 'local' and 'individual' colour) and much more to do with Western Ceremonial magic and its fancy for geometric designs and neat boxes. The beliefs stay the same, as do the practices, only the names get changed. Sad really.

And just for the record, no the above is NOT in relation to or a comment upon 5ET or his system, it is in reference to a wealth of supposed "Northern tradition" systems that exist today.

best, and happy practice

Two questions that are unlikely to get a favorable response are ones that start with: "OK I'll Bite" or end with "No offense intended." IME These kinds of questions rarely produce fruitful conversations.

So true. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks VCraig. It's been awhile since that workshop in Portland...

This is a very personal path that I have embarked upon and I am happy to share it with anyone truly interested. I have and will continue to make the basics of this path freely available to anyone via the website, podcasts, videos, books, etc... Because I believe it can be very healing to alot of people. What you see on there now is just the beginning. I have barely scratched the surface.

So, If someone truly wants to talk to me, it is very easy to do right now because this is a new path that is still taking shape and I am very excited about it and I do want to talk about it... But,seriously, think it through...It's not rocket science. If you are interested in a response from me, just be nice to me and I will be nice back.

I hear you. And I can see that it is very personal to you, that is why I said no offence intended. It was my attempt to avoid that, though it seems I shot myself in the foot.

I know from experience that asking questions of stuff that is clearly personal, can rub people the wrong way. So why did I bother to ask? Simply put, I have met so many interested in the Northern traditions that are so full of sh*t, when I see someone who is following a path and appears to be genuinely working hard and studying queries come up. Sometimes I ask, sometimes I don't. So, to be clear I meant no offence, you have my apologies for ruffling your feathers.

I wish you well in your endeavours and may bifrost take you where ever you need to go in this lifetime or the next.

Too many blank pages so far.

That's because it is formatted for paperback version. Lulu automotically creates a downloadable version from the paperback PDF I send them. I wasn't able to reformat the pdf version.. So, yes... there is one blank page between each chapter heading and the start of a chapter because I thought it looked cool. And sometimes, depending on how the chapter ended, in order to keep the theme uniform looking, another blank page is inserted in between so that each chapter starts uniformly on a front page. It is a very common book format.

Edited by fiveelementtao
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this