steve- haha i totally forgot about that and it happens all the time. I will be hanging out with friends, then it gets silent, and i look around and everyone is doing something on their phone. Is it really that boring to talk to people that are right in front of you?

Samuel- ya i agree with many of your points. I only have 3 years on you but it doesnt get any easier. The closest thing ive met to a taoist is probably my buddhism teacher (haha funny thing is he is a catholic priest). And i really do not like social networking sites, most of all twitter. I am sorry if anyone reading uses it, but i find it incredibly sad that people care that "There are so many people here at wal mart" or whatever dumb trivial thing someone posts. Our generation seems too selfish and it cares too much about others and their approval.

Strawdog- First a very good point by your loving and intelligent wife. And for who is to be held accountable for the lack of sensitivity? I think its all of us. Being a younger individual its easy to blame society and the older generation. Because the media and society portray to us that this is the way to live. This is how everyone seems to live, so why should i not try to live like them. Its like people are telling us its ok to be a selfish asshole who only cares about material goods. But its also our fault for not looking inside ourselves and asking if this is the true way to live. Instead of questioning if these perceptions resonate within our soul, we just allow ourselves to be molded by it. Its hard to tell whos to blame, but i do know that it requires all of us to change it.

sorry thesongsofdistantearth, i forgot about you in that reply. That is also an interesting point. A lot of my friends in college were considered hipsters i guess. They didnt wear or listen to name brand clothes or music, and there was a lot of marijuana going on. But everyone cared about the current issues with the environment and society, to a great extent. I considered us the "new age hippies", because it was the social group that best related to us. So i think what you read is pretty interesting and it holds some credibility

Greetings..

Occasionally, i go to a local mall, get a nice cup of coffee, find a isolated bench and just sit and watch the people.. i look into people's eyes, i look for signs of Life, Taoists know what that is.. usually, is just the mechanized maddness of meat-puppets, but.. every now and then, you see that spark of Life.. sometimes it's only a desperate spark, but there's hope.. sometimes, recognition is returned, a smile or a nod, or a passing kind word.. but then, there are the true encounters with Taoists that don't know they're taoists, yet.. they sit and chat and they are alive and vibrant.. ithen, i return to my solitude and practice with hope..

Be well..

Greetings..

Occasionally, i go to a local mall, get a nice cup of coffee, find a isolated bench and just sit and watch the people.. i look into people's eyes, i look for signs of Life, Taoists know what that is.. usually, is just the mechanized maddness of meat-puppets, but.. every now and then, you see that spark of Life.. sometimes it's only a desperate spark, but there's hope.. sometimes, recognition is returned, a smile or a nod, or a passing kind word.. but then, there are the true encounters with Taoists that don't know they're taoists, yet.. they sit and chat and they are alive and vibrant.. ithen, i return to my solitude and practice with hope..

Be well..

My cousin was in the mall and looked somebody in the eye....

The man responded, "who the fuck are you looking at?" Then he and his two friends decided to start beating the crap out of my cousin until security arrived.

Every once in awhile, in the course of a day, you come across someone, maybe a clerk giving you your change at a store, and there is that wordless exchange of recognition, the eyes talk to each other, the words feel like this:

'hey, I see you in there'

'far out, I see you in there, too'

'yeah, isn't it something? we're both alive in this craziness'

And with a half smile, you both turn and go on in your lives...

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth
  • Like 2

I seem to be growing more perceptive of reality, specifically of how many of the current social norms are so wrong.

People-particularly those who are wrapped up in technology and material stuff-seem childish, or less evolved. Blinded. Like sheep?

Fake, plastic people. Of course, Im typing this from a computer... but I really do feel like shunning the rat race.

More and more, I wonder why people regularly treat each other so badly.

Modern medical technology--

I work in a hospital. between the massive amount of electricity which courses through most ICU's, and the dehumanization that often takes place when people become patients, (almost property), I find it absurd that we expect people to heal in these environments and conditions.

I personally can hear whenever most electrical appliances (monitors, tv's, etc) are plugged in, even if thy aren't on-in a room. Always could. Same with neon lighting. Whenever I am in rooms/hallways with exceptional levels of electrical equipment, I find it literally, physically and mentally disorienting.

I can feel that all that electricity affects the air, and makes it feel dead and empty.

So basically, I just don't know why more people aren't aware of this. I guess growing up immersed in bullshit really dulls ones senses.

But I am aware of it. and I don't want to jump on the apocalypse band wagon, but I feel like we are running out of time really fast. There are gonna be major changes soon-definitely within the next decade. I have felt this quite strongly for as long as I can remember, that I would see huge changes, maybe upheavals, in my lifetime. Im 28 years old, and I honestly remember thinking this since like, age 5 or 6.

I really do feel like Im in a see of sheep, or blind people. I mean I'm no leader, but I SEE whats going on, and hardly anyone else does. Except some of you guys and gals:-)

Upside;

Potential freedoms gained with modern technology, especially advances in particle physics and nano technology.

Edited by everseeking

Hi Samuel. :) Some of the most taoistic* people I know probably wouldn't know to describe themselves as such. Being in their presence is so refreshing, as s/he truly allows the energy to flow between me and s/he.

Do you suppose, if you reflected a bit on your friend and family network....might you be able to recognize one or two naturally gifted taoists? :D

*Kudos to songs for this neat word. :-)

Aside from a Taichichuan teacher I know, and an aikido teacher, the most people i know are status obsessed westerners.

Aside from a Taichichuan teacher I know, and an aikido teacher, the most people i know are status obsessed westerners.

Yes it is a lot like this here in the UK unfortunately. The nation is obsessed with the life of 'celebrities' (I hate that word !) and the storylines of a multitude of soap operas and pathetic TV 'talent' shows.

I must be the only guy at my workplace who has no interest in premier league football, excessive drinking, x factor, newspaper headlines or coronation street etc etc.

These people have become zombies and are far removed from the reality of being human, living on a planet that the whole race is poisoning and choking the life out of.

A very sad state of affairs.

Hi guys glad to see this post is still going and good opinions are still being shared. Everseeking my feeling may relate closest to yours. Whenever i am in the city, all the people i look at just seem to be sheep. Sometimes if i really pay attention its like i can see every movement that is not natural. And it seems like people are blinded to this aspect. Most the time being genuine with people incurs some resistance. A lot of times when i act kindhearted to people they look at me like i am trying to get something out of them. I agree many social norms are wrong, and that always makes me think how have we as a people allowed ourselves to get so blown out of shape. Can they not see or feel how unharmonious this lifestyle is like some of us can, or do they just choose not to? I agree with the running out of time thing as well. I just have a feeling that something is going to happen that will make people change their perception. Kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall i think we are going to be there to watch it all breakdown.

Sorry adept i did not see your post there.

These people have become zombies and are far removed from the reality of being human, living on a planet that the whole race is poisoning and choking the life out of.

A very sad state of affairs.

man totally agree with that and it seems like none of these people notice that. i kind of started thinking that most zombies see life as a game. They are a seperate entity, a player in the game. There are winners and losers here and its best to be a winner. If you dont think about yourself first then the other players will take advantage of you. The more things you acquire or the higher the score the more powerful a player you are. But life is not a game, life is more of a dream

I remember the day my mom died and I went to eat in a restaurant and had the that feeling so acutely, and so strongly, that I was the only one AWAKE in that whole place. Even watching others in the act of eating, I had this feeling of incredulity at their waking slumber. I'm sure I was in an altered state that made this feeling so powerful and acute, I have had degrees of it since like many of us here, but nothing as strong as this one was.

I like to watch people going about their business in public, and can 'see' the wheels of thought turning in their heads very often. Of course, many times I am the same way if something or someone is playing on my mind, I too get lost in thought. That's the beauty of mindfulness. Becoming present to the moment also makes you aware of the sleep of others.

• Like 1

I remember the day my mom died and I went to eat in a restaurant and had the that feeling so acutely, and so strongly, that I was the only one AWAKE in that whole place. Even watching others in the act of eating, I had this feeling of incredulity at their waking slumber. I'm sure I was in an altered state that made this feeling so powerful and acute, I have had degrees of it since like many of us here, but nothing as strong as this one was.

I like to watch people going about their business in public, and can 'see' the wheels of thought turning in their heads very often. Of course, many times I am the same way if something or someone is playing on my mind, I too get lost in thought. That's the beauty of mindfulness. Becoming present to the moment also makes you aware of the sleep of others.

and that there is truly the beauty of mindfulness

i appreciate the posts you shared in this topic

TSDE,

I feel your pain and awareness.

Is being AWAKE a gift , a curse, or the sweet and sour of both?

There are few things like death of a loved one to snap us awake...

sometimes for the first time.

Everyday, we are surrounded by the sleepers.

Many times I feel like I am slapping people with my words...

just to get them to see beyond themselves.

The spark of awareness.... needs to be cared for.

Peace!

• Like 1

I am bumping this thread because of its relevance to my life.

I'm at a crossroads of sorts, I'm approaching 30, married, no kids, but the wife wants them. I'm just really not sure that I want them with her. I think she'll make a great mother all in all, but She is definitely not 'awake' or 'aware' of things in the context of this thread. What might it be like having kids with someone who is more apt to want to appease social demands?

I'm not entirely sure I want to have children with her- I feel like I will just be sucked further into the herd.

I really do feel largely alone, in the sense that I have been having a lot harder of a time lately with things like commercials (I just can't stand having them on, radio or tv), reality shows, and for crying out loud--FOOTBALL and nearly all professional sports. (To me) Its she same crap, year in and year out, just endlessly repeating itself, yet people actually get really 'fired up' about their team winning or losing.

Games-I remember reading some books by Eric Burne, about 'the games we play' or something. I am having a hard time with the 'games' lately.

Is there a place (preferably in the USA) where people think more for themselves? Oregon, maybe?

The modern life is outdated.

• Like 1

I am bumping this thread because of its relevance to my life.

I'm at a crossroads of sorts, I'm approaching 30, married, no kids, but the wife wants them. I'm just really not sure that I want them with her. I think she'll make a great mother all in all, but She is definitely not 'awake' or 'aware' of things in the context of this thread. What might it be like having kids with someone who is more apt to want to appease social demands?

I'm not entirely sure I want to have children with her- I feel like I will just be sucked further into the herd.

I really do feel largely alone, in the sense that I have been having a lot harder of a time lately with things like commercials (I just can't stand having them on, radio or tv), reality shows, and for crying out loud--FOOTBALL and nearly all professional sports. (To me) Its she same crap, year in and year out, just endlessly repeating itself, yet people actually get really 'fired up' about their team winning or losing.

Games-I remember reading some books by Eric Burne, about 'the games we play' or something. I am having a hard time with the 'games' lately.

Is there a place (preferably in the USA) where people think more for themselves? Oregon, maybe?

The modern life is outdated.

Everseeking, I hear you. I cannot believe how much I once cared about football or any sport, years and years ago, and as I began to 'drop out' into spiritual life, I too saw that it was a way of the great masses being distracted by irrelevant spectacle. There was once a time that I would be depressed for several days after 'my team' lost. I cannot believe that I once cared about that shit so much. I began feeling alienated from our culture about the same age as you are now.

Living in this alienated state is a real challenge. And yes, moving to a place with more conscious people can help somewhat, even a lot. You are likely to find like-minded people who are creating meaning. Places with more liberal politics generally and/or creative people can help you reconnect to others through meditation groups, nature-loving outdoor people, internal MA classes, etc. Places like the Bay Area, Austin, Madison WI, Ashville, NC, and many more can provide some of that.

But alienation from popular culture is part of spiritual life, I think. The trick is to find things you love and care about and open your heart center and carry on. I always find that when I get overloaded with modern life, a 5-7 day trip to beautiful, isolated wilderness through backpacking or river rafting clears the insanity out of my system and reboots the sanity.

It sounds like you may not have chosen your true mate in your wife. Having kids when you have this much uncertainty is probably a very bad idea, and if you can find a good therapist to help you find your way, it would probably help you get a lot clearer.

I'm glad you at least have this forum to find fellow 'Taoistic Travellers'. Hang in there, my friend. :)

oops double post...

err, shall i do a little dance? eek, i'm off.

Edited by wayki

Hey guys ive had a few thoughts on this subject the past few days. I realized a few days ago how their is a part of me that knows i cant live a "normal" life, but it still wants to so bad. Like things keep coming up that makes me get stuck. This realization came when i noticed i had romantic feelings for a friend that ive began to spend a lot of time with. I was never good with relationships so I just stayed out of it, this was mainly because i could not find a girl that i knew i could spend days at a time with. And now when i am losing interest in the modern world i find someone that resonates so deep with me.

And then i was looking through this thread, and i am sorry but i forgot who, mentioned that it seemed like no matter the circumstances they had this feeling of emptiness. And it hit me hard because ive had that question for a long time. During the day i would be content but the nights all felt the same, like i was incomplete or empty. And a conclusion hit me soon after, and i am interested to know what people think.

I feel that this emptiness is something innate in all of us. So in a sense we are incomplete, or missing a piece of our puzzle. And it appears that society and its institutions have taught us that we have had this emptiness since we were young, but we are just unaware of it. We are taught to be driven for knowledge, power, money, and happiness- that these are the parts of you that you are missing, those trivial objects can make you whole. But no matter how much of any of those things we have, we still feel the same. Its because that missing piece is supposed to be there, that void of emptiness is where we can be in harmony with the world. That void is like a fire in us, and if you try to extinguish it with objects, the fire will be inexhaustible. The only way to smother the fire, is to fill that void with the universe.

• Like 3

Hey guys ive had a few thoughts on this subject the past few days. I realized a few days ago how their is a part of me that knows i cant live a "normal" life, but it still wants to so bad. Like things keep coming up that makes me get stuck. This realization came when i noticed i had romantic feelings for a friend that ive began to spend a lot of time with. I was never good with relationships so I just stayed out of it, this was mainly because i could not find a girl that i knew i could spend days at a time with. And now when i am losing interest in the modern world i find someone that resonates so deep with me.

And then i was looking through this thread, and i am sorry but i forgot who, mentioned that it seemed like no matter the circumstances they had this feeling of emptiness. And it hit me hard because ive had that question for a long time. During the day i would be content but the nights all felt the same, like i was incomplete or empty. And a conclusion hit me soon after, and i am interested to know what people think.

I feel that this emptiness is something innate in all of us. So in a sense we are incomplete, or missing a piece of our puzzle. And it appears that society and its institutions have taught us that we have had this emptiness since we were young, but we are just unaware of it. We are taught to be driven for knowledge, power, money, and happiness- that these are the parts of you that you are missing, those trivial objects can make you whole. But no matter how much of any of those things we have, we still feel the same. Its because that missing piece is supposed to be there, that void of emptiness is where we can be in harmony with the world. That void is like a fire in us, and if you try to extinguish it with objects, the fire will be inexhaustible. The only way to smother the fire, is to fill that void with the universe.

Hi themaninthesuit!

What you've written is very profound.

When i read your words... it was enlightening to consider this feeling of emptiness, in the way you describe.

Reflecting on this...I feel there is something very poignant and true in the emptiness being

an integral part of our very natural essence. The very Idea of not needing to fill what is meant

to be empty, and is as it should be, is to me, a confirmation of the way of the Tao.

The superficiality of the world we live in is overpowering.

The focus on trivialities within all cultures is daunting.

And yes, I agree... we are indoctrinated to "believe" we need the newest gadget to instill

this missing piece. When we all really know deep down , whether we admit it or not, that

our happiness is not quantifiable, and has very little relation to things.

As far as realizing that you have these feelings toward your friend...

consider it as the Universe giving you a wink and saying... the best is yet to come.

Sometimes when all hope seems lost, we find what we've needed most. :)

Peace!

Thanks strawdog, i havent been on the forums long but i dont remember reading a post dealing much with that feeling of emptiness. So i wanted to bring it up here and see what opinions people had about it, and i included the little story to maybe help see my perception better. That feeling of emptiness is very interesting because it seems like everyone has felt it before. And it doesnt look like we can really get away from it. For something to be full it must first be empty.

Haha and i will let you know how that friend situation works out.

Here's one of my pet peeves: The way people hand you back your change in a store. The just put everything in your hand. The worst is when they make a little hammock out of the $ bills, the receipt on top of that, then with the coins just sort of sprinkled precariously on top, so you have to stop and sort of deconstruct the whole mess, balancing it while you try to put the change in your pocket, then the bills, then the receipt. It's a faintly annoying repeated daily experience.

Back in the day, people used to have to calculate your change, instead of the machine doing it for them. So they would count it out to you as a courtesy, usually adding the coins until it reached the dollar, then the rest of the change. Giving you the coins first gave you a opportunity to slip them into your pocket with one hand, then receive the bills in the other. It seemed so much nicer than being handed this wobbly pile of money and receipt all together, and it was a nice little human pleasantry. Oh, well. I will just have to get used to it, I guess.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

My feeling is the same. Objects like money, food, knowledge feel increasingly empty for me. Mainstream people go for them like there is no tomorrow and I am just "huh" or "bah!". Also I feel that people value their own opinions a bit too much like they want to emphasize the self instead of being selfless. It just seems false and unfulfilling. This is complete contradiction to being with my almost 2 year old son who is delighted at simple things, simple pleasures.

Being an Old Child (Lao Tsu) has real value.

Here's one of my pet peeves: The way people hand you back your change in a store. The just put everything in your hand. The worst is when they make a little hammock out of the $ bills, the receipt on top of that, then with the coins just sort of sprinkled precariously on top, so you have to stop and sort of deconstruct the whole mess, balancing it while you try to put the change in your pocket, then the bills, then the receipt. It's a faintly annoying repeated daily experience.

Back in the day, people used to have to calculate your change, instead of the machine doing it for them. So they would count it out to you as a courtesy, usually adding the coins until it reached the dollar, then the rest of the change. Giving you the coins first gave you a opportunity to slip them into your pocket with one hand, then receive the bills in the other. It seemed so much nicer than being handed this wobbly pile of money and receipt all together, and it was a nice little human pleasantry. Oh, well. I will just have to get used to it, I guess.

Coins on top of bills? Man, I would smack that idiot or tell him/her to hand me coins first. What kind of store do you go? You should make a comment about it, especially if you go to this store often. Believe me it is worth it, this is so important stuff! :huh:

No really... If it is a food store, be nice while you ask them to hand you coins first, then the bills. They might spit in your food or something. ;)

Edited by Everything

Lots of people hand change back that way...like 1/3rd of all cashiers in my experience. It's so prevalent that I stopped caring a few years ago. :lol:

Even worse is when you have your hand out waiting for your change, then the cashier puts it down on the counter in front of your hand ! How rude.

I can't stand that. Do these people have no manners ?