This is a thread for those musings, observations, rantings, thanks, thoughts, and perceptions of modern daily life. Life today can be wonderful, insane, peaceful, chaotic, frightening, overwhelming and absurd, sometimes all in the same day. :P:blush::(B):blink::D:wub: Many times I'll have some thoughts or observations about something in life that doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, but I would still like to share or express.

So here is a chance for you to just put up whatever is on your mind, and perhaps express something that you wouldn't ordinarily get a chance to express. I thought about making it a personal practice discussion, but it's not just for my observations, but everybody's.

So, I'll kick things off...

Certainly we all are aware of the increased pace of life, the constant stimulation and the correspondent increased need for stimulation. One way this happens is visually, more and more we are bombarded with advertising, often in places where none was before. Our eyes and minds and attention spans get more and more attuned to stimuli, and the attention constantly seeks that little 'dopamine squirt' that comes from things like surfing the internet or texting or checking emails.

We also are unused to silence, and are uncomfortable with it. Every so often I go way out away from things to a ranch or a canyon, and i am taken with how much texture and fullness real silence has. Then just a trace of a light breeze across the ear creates and even fuller, three dimensional silence. I can feel the silence in my body. I actually remember what true silence feels like, in my normal state of mind, it escapes me.

As I get older, I find myself wanting silence more and noise and sound less. I have a really wonderful audiophile stereo system, and I find myself listening to it less. Sometimes 2 or 3 months will go by and I don't turn it on. I also find myself switching off music or npr in the car and just driving in silence, focusing on my breathing or doing mantra...om mani padme hum... :)

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth
  • Like 1

If you watch some sitcoms on TV, you realize just how fast and loud the world has become. The characters speak faster than they can even think. It's very far removed from the moving stillness of nature.

Here I sit, in the moving stillness of nature, watching the snow fall in big flakes outside the window. Now here comes the owner/caretaker of this place with his new 2011 4x4 giant pickup with a blade out front. Okay, now he just plowed a snow-swath off the drive and kept going off the edge and scraped the sod up with it and kept pushing until he tore up his elderly mother's garden. Soon, I'll hear her yelling from here. Even with the door closed.

It's all good. (-:

As I get older, I find myself wanting silence more and noise and sound less. I have a really wonderful audiophile stereo system, and I find myself listening to it less. Sometimes 2 or 3 months will go by and I don't turn it on. I also find myself switching off music or npr in the car and just driving in silence, focusing on my breathing.....

I can definitely relate to this. It sounds exactly like my current audioless life.

I enjoy daily walking alone in nature in silence. Taking in all the sights, sounds, smells and ambience of every location I happen to find myself in.

When you work in a noisy factory with machinery and music from the radio belting out non-stop like I do, the silence is beautiful, and needed.

Good topic.

My friend just got a new smart-phone and is constantly checking it. I'm pretty sure that's not healthy.

haha i have been going through the same thing with silence. I am only 22 but during the early part of my college career i needed to have my ipod with me, i just couldnt stand silence. But now silence helps to quell the activeness of my mind. And a big problem i have with modern life is in the example of my 10 year old sister. For the past two years she has been acting like she is in high school, and she is basically a person who is the embodiment of the media. Its sad when a child does not think its ok to be a child.

haha i have been going through the same thing with silence. I am only 22 but during the early part of my college career i needed to have my ipod with me, i just couldnt stand silence. But now silence helps to quell the activeness of my mind. And a big problem i have with modern life is in the example of my 10 year old sister. For the past two years she has been acting like she is in high school, and she is basically a person who is the embodiment of the media. Its sad when a child does not think its ok to be a child.

Well, it is interesting that neuroscientistists believe that the brains of the technology-native young people actually develop differently than previous generations. There is a well-known phenomenon known as 'pruning', in which some of the quadrillions of neurons present at in childhood are lost when neural pathways are not used, while the pathways that are used are reinforced. Thus leading to kids who can text with their eyes closed and multi-task better than you and I ever will, but may lack the capacity for social interaction or sustained focus later in life.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth
  • Like 1

oh wow i did not hear about that before. I actually majored in biology so I love science, I think I will do some research on that. That is very interesting i guess it goes to show how much of an affect society can have on people. That's why i am on this forum, to unlearn the things people have taught me.

Here I sit, in the moving stillness of nature, watching the snow fall in big flakes outside the window. Now here comes the owner/caretaker of this place with his new 2011 4x4 giant pickup with a blade out front. Okay, now he just plowed a snow-swath off the drive and kept going off the edge and scraped the sod up with it and kept pushing until he tore up his elderly mother's garden. Soon, I'll hear her yelling from here. Even with the door closed.

It's all good. (-:

It is all good. I got a good mental movie from that one, rene.

Well, it is interesting that neuroscientistists believe that the brains of the technology-native young people actually develop differently than previous generations. There is a well-known phenomenon known as 'pruning', in which the quadrillions of neurons present at in childhood are lost when neural pathways are not used, while the pathways that are used are reinforced. Thus leading to kids who can text with their eyes closed and multi-task better than you and I ever will, but may lack the capacity for social interaction or sustained focus later in life.

But new pathways can be forged. Read "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, M.D. Very interesting and heartening as it relates to the individual.

And the whole idea of multi-tasking has been, of late, proven to be a delusion perpetuated on society. Most studies are showing that people that think they are doing a great job of multitasking are actually less aware, have lower retention rates and make considerably more mistakes in whatever their arena of study is.

The modern life concept is something I have been thinking about a fair amount lately.

To me it comes down to this:

The world at large is wholly about consumption. The design is either for you to consume as much as possible and/or you are a disposable battery for the machine of consumption to be used up and discarded when you are no longer able to produce and/or consume.

Our world has been taken over by an extreme form of capitalism thats only desire is to create profit wherever possible no matter the consequences. Modern life, especially of the last 30 years, is mostly a product of this desire for profit.

Small enclaves of quiet, stillness and beauty can still be found. But ultimately the machine consumes all, until eventually...it consumes itself.

Hey Ryan my view is somewhat similar to yours, but I dont think its the world itself that creates it. It is all the people that allowed themselves to be something they arent. People are consumed by the pursuit to gain more and in that they forgot where they come from. The world at large is not about consumption it is about fluctuation. There is still beauty in this world it is just sometimes harder to see with all the "busy and important" people running in front of your view all the time.

But new pathways can be forged. Read "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, M.D. Very interesting and heartening as it relates to the individual.

Ryan & Songs - damn i wish i could remember the name of the book, sorry, few years ago - but it told of the neural mechanics of 'inspiration'. It spoke of thinking, concentrating, focusing on a problem for a long time - and then forgetting about it & going off to take a nap or some mindless thing - and the answer just seems to 'come out of nowhere'. What was in fact happening, was a kind of creating a conducive neural 'environment' for a solution to slide into. Of course, the solution didn't manifest outta thin air :lol: but was already scattered data in the brain, waiting to fall into place, like pieces of a puzzle.

LOL well, there's a helluva off-topic post. Maybe someone will recognize the concept and can fill my synaptic gaps with the title of that book.

Ryan & Songs - damn i wish i could remember the name of the book, sorry, few years ago - but it told of the neural mechanics of 'inspiration'. It spoke of thinking, concentrating, focusing on a problem for a long time - and then forgetting about it & going off to take a nap or some mindless thing - and the answer just seems to 'come out of nowhere'. What was in fact happening, was a kind of creating a conducive neural 'environment' for a solution to slide into. Of course, the solution didn't manifest outta thin air :lol: but was already scattered data in the brain, waiting to fall into place, like pieces of a puzzle.

LOL well, there's a helluva off-topic post. Maybe someone will recognize the concept and can fill my synaptic gaps with the title of that book.

Let us know if you can find that title, I would be interested. Of course, it may come to you after you take your nap this afternoon. :)

BTW, in this thread, there is no off topic...feel free to post about anything, any observation or thought about modern life.

Man very interesting indeed rene, I would also like to know the title of that book. Haha i would have never expected to get into a science discussion on any scale here. The brain is a very interesting organ. Incredible at how we function by nerve signals. Where else could the electric impulses start from other than stillness?

Let us know if you can find that title, I would be interested. Of course, it may come to you after you take your nap this afternoon. :)

BTW, in this thread, there is no off topic...feel free to post about anything, any observation or thought about modern life.

Yeah! I thought that was a low (pun intended) point in Bowie's creative output, especially after the way he did Stevie Ray Vaughan.

...wait... that was Modern Love!

oh well...:lol:

my one observation of life that frightens me is the existence of the bystander effect

i'll try and keep it short:

i was at a mexican fast food joint with two friends and on wednesdays they have a half-off special so the place was packed - line extending and winding 3/4 on the perimeter of the store

so i'm on line around the double door entrance when i look outside and see a girl, lying face down on the ground, not moving.

there were two kids sitting RIGHT in front of her, literally three feet away on a bench so i thought it was just some odd joke she was playing

a girl standing behind me with her boyfriend said out loud 'why's she on the ground like that?'

i made eye contact with her to show her i understood what she had said and that i was aware of the situation

about two seconds later, i see her twitch her arm and struggle to bring it up to her face (she was lying face down with arms down by her sides / waist)

at that instant, some urgent drive kicked in

i slammed open the doors and stepped outside and knelt by her side and placed my hand on her back and told her in a calm voice that everything was okay, that she was okay and that she would be fine

immediately, i felt her stirring back to life and she raised her head and looked at me and tried to get up but i had her remain on the ground

the girl who expressed her concern came out as well and she helped ease the fallen girl's anxiety

i looked over at the two guys sitting in front of her - worthless boys (but definitely over 18 years old) who wouldn't be able to take care of themselves let alone save and protect their loved ones in a catastrophe

i looked over to my left, at a table with about six college age kids, still eating, observing me, the girl who came out to help, and the girl on the ground

one of the kids sheepishly stood up and asked me if he should call 911

i told him no and looked at him in a way that made him sit down and shut the fuck up

apparently, the girl began feeling very ill while inside the joint and lost consciousness as soon as she took her first step out the door - landing face first on her chin and lips without being able to break her fall with her hands

EVERYONE out there witnessed this

ALL were 'men' (more like little confused boys)

and NONE OF THEM DID ANYTHING during the 2-3 minutes that the girl was lying face down on the ground, not moving or speaking.

and so i wondered all that night: what's going on with the younger generations that i am a part of?

my one observation of life that frightens me is the existence of the bystander effect

i'll try and keep it short:

i was at a mexican fast food joint with two friends and on wednesdays they have a half-off special so the place was packed - line extending and winding 3/4 on the perimeter of the store

so i'm on line around the double door entrance when i look outside and see a girl, lying face down on the ground, not moving.

there were two kids sitting RIGHT in front of her, literally three feet away on a bench so i thought it was just some odd joke she was playing

a girl standing behind me with her boyfriend said out loud 'why's she on the ground like that?'

i made eye contact with her to show her i understood what she had said and that i was aware of the situation

about two seconds later, i see her twitch her arm and struggle to bring it up to her face (she was lying face down with arms down by her sides / waist)

at that instant, some urgent drive kicked in

i slammed open the doors and stepped outside and knelt by her side and placed my hand on her back and told her in a calm voice that everything was okay, that she was okay and that she would be fine

immediately, i felt her stirring back to life and she raised her head and looked at me and tried to get up but i had her remain on the ground

the girl who expressed her concern came out as well and she helped ease the fallen girl's anxiety

i looked over at the two guys sitting in front of her - worthless boys (but definitely over 18 years old) who wouldn't be able to take care of themselves let alone save and protect their loved ones in a catastrophe

i looked over to my left, at a table with about six college age kids, still eating, observing me, the girl who came out to help, and the girl on the ground

one of the kids sheepishly stood up and asked me if he should call 911

i told him no and looked at him in a way that made him sit down and shut the fuck up

apparently, the girl began feeling very ill while inside the joint and lost consciousness as soon as she took her first step out the door - landing face first on her chin and lips without being able to break her fall with her hands

EVERYONE out there witnessed this

ALL were 'men' (more like little confused boys)

and NONE OF THEM DID ANYTHING during the 2-3 minutes that the girl was lying face down on the ground, not moving or speaking.

and so i wondered all that night: what's going on with the younger generations that i am a part of?

Pathetic!

More so than the Bill Nye Science Guy incident

http://wizardwalk.co...wblather/?p=766

http://holykaw.allto...hing-but-tweets

..ah the FUTURE:excl:

Wow onlyindreams that is pretty ridiculous, in situations like that its hard to determine if the bystanders actually care. If you had any sort of compassion wouldn't you try to do something for her. At least call to her to check or something, geez. But then again i am also a registered EMT, so i would probably for the girl since everyone else appeared to be totally ignorant. Also, did not know about the bill nye incident and that is also ridiculous. More and more I have been noticing how many people are sheep. Not really thinking for themselves and when they do think for themselves they care about the approval of others. Good point guys

I recently went out to dinner with some friends and family for a birthday celebration. At one point, I looked around the table and EVERYONE had their mind buried in their cell/smartphone.... uggghhh!

:wacko:

Hello everyone!

Such greatly introspective and thoughtful comments.

We are all witnessing the ongoing detachment from society.

My question is... is this a necessary part of the technological

advancement of a society, to veer away from interpersonal

sociological norms?

Can we have all the newest doodads, and use them in a way

that increases our lost sensitivity. Or are we on a road

that leads us to complete detachment and disregard for everyone?

What will LOVE mean in a world that is so material?

Can Love be quantified? And if not, will it be

of no use to a future world?

As more and more technology becomes present in our everyday

interactions, has the ability to understand and feel for others

diminished proportionately?

The cases sighted with the "observer effect" are horribly alarming.

For someone to be there in that moment and to be so removed,

so callous, so unfeeling...so asleep to life. I'm sure we

are seeing only the tippy top of a huge iceberg.

Based on my own limited experience, the newest generations,

have proportionately the least regard for other people's suffering

and pain. And the main contributing factor I have seen in my lifetime,

is technology. The more technology, the less focus on people as living,

feeling, emotive individuals.

Who will feel the pain of a world blinded by technology?

Will there be a leveling off effect in the near future,

when a re-emphasis on our ability to communicate and feel for

others will resurface? I hope so. Otherwise we really are

approaching the singularity of Man/Machine/Mind.

Active practice of being empathetic towards other people is of

great use to our world, understanding and compassion for those

apart from us can never be said to "wasted".

Believing in Taoism, we know that the interconnectedness

of all there is precludes us from the illusion of separateness.

A conscious re-focus of treating all the people I come into contact with,

as the unique treasure that they are as a Human being ,

for me...... that will be step one.

We are all encompassed within the wholeness that is the TAO.

When we express our Love of others, it is an extension of Loving who we are.

Peace and understanding to all!

• Like 1

Based on my own limited experience, the newest generations,

have proportionately the least regard for other people's suffering

and pain. And the main contributing factor I have seen in my lifetime,

is technology. The more technology, the less focus on people as living,

feeling, emotive individuals.

This worries me too. I've never met another Daoist in person, (it's probably the area I live in or the circles I hang in), and amongst people my age (I'm nineteen), thinking about philosophy or religion or spirituality is considered "boring/square/geeky". It's heartbreaking that my generation seems doomed to callousness, so much so that even small things like giving up a seat on a bus to an elderly lady or gentlemen is a social oddity not a norm.

As an aside, the current obsession with social networking sites alarms me. It's just my opinion, but I think they're crippling social skills and the obsession with other people's lives is odd, almost as though people are watching soaps or sitcoms. I admit, I use Facebook, but when I need to. It's just like any other tool to me, use it when I need it. I don't carry a hammer round with me and check on it forty billion times an hour. Just leave it at home and use it when I need to. It's madness I tell you!

• Like 2

This worries me too. I've never met another Daoist in person, (it's probably the area I live in or the circles I hang in), and amongst people my age (I'm nineteen), thinking about philosophy or religion or spirituality is considered "boring/square/geeky". It's heartbreaking that my generation seems doomed to callousness, so much so that even small things like giving up a seat on a bus to an elderly lady or gentlemen is a social oddity not a norm.

As an aside, the current obsession with social networking sites alarms me. It's just my opinion, but I think they're crippling social skills and the obsession with other people's lives is odd, almost as though people are watching soaps or sitcoms. I admit, I use Facebook, but when I need to. It's just like any other tool to me, use it when I need it. I don't carry a hammer round with me and check on it forty billion times an hour. Just leave it at home and use it when I need to. It's madness I tell you!

Yes agreed Samuel,

People are becoming Techo-Zombies!

One day in the not too distant future, we will wake to

a breakfast of 2 flat green squares on our plate.

And since no one will paying attention to anything

other than their latest status on Face@#*k, or the video

they have to watch on yout*&*be........

You know the one, where the man is being severely

beaten by kids just because they wanted to see

what it felt like?

All the while, bystanders are posting their own

videos, or streaming live, or posting on twit**r.

All and everyone oblivious to the very

thought of stopping what they were doing and

lending a hand to help stop the madness.

Who then will there be to look down at that

breakfast plate and scream at the very top

of their lungs.... "Soylent Green...IS People!?!

Madness it 'Tis, Aye.

Awaken the sleepers....Peace.

• Like 1

I can't remember where I read it, but each decade's generation is supposed to have characteristics that a particular to it's place in the century. So the microcosm repeats itself in the macrocosm. The current generation is akin to the generation of the 1910's, followed by the 'Roaring 20's ', etc. They made a case for the war generation of the 40's apparently reflecting the same energy that the 1840's did. It was convincing when I read it. Perhaps then, the current generation's superficiality isn't wholly their fault, but is reflected in something deeper, kinda like how astrological signs determine one's fate.

I can't remember where I read it, but each decade's generation is supposed to have characteristics that a particular to it's place in the century. So the microcosm repeats itself in the macrocosm. The current generation is akin to the generation of the 1910's, followed by the 'Roaring 20's ', etc. They made a case for the war generation of the 40's apparently reflecting the same energy that the 1840's did. It was convincing when I read it. Perhaps then, the current generation's superficiality isn't wholly their fault, but is reflected in something deeper, kinda like how astrological signs determine one's fate.

Hello TSDE!

An interesting add-on to follow the same idea...

As pointed out to me by my loving and intelligent wife...

The technologies of this latest generation, which I have berated,

have predominately been designed by the generation which is my own.

So who is to be held culpable to the current lack of sensitivity?

If one generation is the progenitor of said technology...is it fair

to judge the present generation, with them not knowing anything other

than what they have been indoctrinated into from birth?

Ironically...it seems, we by our very actions...

are creating the sociological problems of our future tomorrows.

Peace