Aaron

A Subforum for the Tao Teh Ching

Hello people,

I was wondering if other people feel it might be a good idea to have a subforum devoted to the Tao Teh Ching or even the philisophical aspect of Taoism? I feel it might make it easier to locate those threads that have to do with Taoism on a philisophical level.

Aaron

Hello people,

I was wondering if other people feel it might be a good idea to have a subforum devoted to the Tao Teh Ching or even the philisophical aspect of Taoism? I feel it might make it easier to locate those threads that have to do with Taoism on a philisophical level.

Aaron

For one, I think it is an Excellent Idea. In fact II've writen the Forum administrator about it with a copy of yor post.

After all, it is considered by many Chinese to be the Taoist equivalent to the Bibble. (I have many Chinese Friends that I have talked to about TTC )

And with it being originaly written in 'Ancient' Chinese which, even when translated, still keeps the highly cultural specific alchemical nature.

To be a New-B you make the best use of your short time here!

Here's a website that has 29 translations, by different authors, for your new subforum.

A snap shot of the introduction webpage

"Tao Teh Ching - Line-by-Line Comparisons"

"Chapter Index

All 29 complete translations

Author Index

This web site is a tool for the study of how different English language translators rendered the ancient Chinese text of the Tau Teh Ching."

You can browse the TTC chapter by chapter and see 29 different translations in line-by line comparisons.

This is yet another MDiv project administered by St. Xenophon Seminary - work on this project is ongoing."

Click Here to go There: Tao Teh Ching - Line-by-Line Comparisons, Chapter Index, with All 29 complete translations and Author Index

Hey - I think Your baby has just taken it's second step! It has a Library !

Edited by Alfred E

Website with TTC in different languages - lots of translations in English.

TTC website

its been posted before but I thought it was worth reposting.

Twinner and Alfred,

Great idea!

Thanks for the resource site. I will be using it

for sure!

The philosophical aspect and practice of Taoism is why

I came to this site, and it makes me very thankful

of people like yourselves that discern the teachings

as being so vitally important.

Thank you!

Peace!

I would support and participate in such a subforum. Great idea.

Sometimes it takes a fresh face to see through the fog.

Methinks Twinner came along right when needed.

It's been an interesting cycle.

Website with TTC in different languages - lots of translations in English.

TTC website

its been posted before but I thought it was worth reposting.

112 translations just in English - then there are the other nationalities with individual languages...

112 translations just in English - then there are the other nationalities with individual languages...

Yeah, it is claimed that the TTC is second in number of translations to only the Christian Bible.

This, if it is true, is expressive of how valued the TTC is.

Haha so down on that idea. The tao te ching is the main source i read and try to implement in my daily life. I hope to see this work out soon. Haha damn I got myself all excited and want to talk about it right now.

Hello people,

Aaron

Tao Te Ching

Translation by Douglas Allchin,

Copyright 2002

-------------------------------------------

Tao Te Ching

chapter 14

Look: you cannot see it,

for it is invisible.

Listen: you cannot hear it,

for it is inaudible,

Grasp: you cannot hold it,

for it is intangible.

Each as unfathomable as the next,

these three become as one.

It threads into the gateway of wonder

and returns again to nothingness.

The form of the formless, the image of the imageless,

elusive and beyond imagination.

From above, there is no light reflected.

From below, no shadow cast.

From before, there is nothing to meet,

From behind, no thing to follow.

Mindful of one's primal roots,

one floats along the Way.

---------------------------

Interesting translation of this chapter, thoughts?

Peace!

I like that translation, I have a Stephen Mitchell translation and I really enjoy it and am a little impartial to it. But i like how your version is rearranged differently then mine and i feel it gets the message across better (at least for me). Either way I think they are both beautifully worded, if you want to compare the two I added my number 14 below:

Look, and it can't be seen.

Listen, and it can't be heard.

Reach, and it can't be grasped.

Above it isn't bright.

Below, it isn't dark.

Seamless, unnamable,

it returns to the realm of nothing.

Form that includes all forms,

image without an image,

subtle, beyond all conception.

Approach it and there is no beginning;

follow it and there is no end.

You can't know it, but you can be it,

at ease in your own life.

Just realize where you come from:

this is the essence of wisdom.

Personally I like the idea of a sub-forum but I have got one question/reservation.

When we discuss Taoist philosophy on the main discussion board its kind of part of the main debate and you can get a good range of comments from all sorts of angle. If we separate it off into a sub-forum will we lose something - will it seem exclusive somehow??? Why not just post thread topics on this?

Just a question what do you think?

Tao Te Ching

translated by: Chou-Wing Chohan

-====================================================

Is not the superior Tao like drawing a bow?

The high part moves downward, the low part moves upward,

What is full is reduced, what is insufficient is filled.

The superior Tao reduces the full, fills what is insufficient.

Man's Tao, in contrast, takes from the insufficient and gives to the full.

Who can take from the full and give to the insufficient?

Only he who has the Tao can.

Therefore, the sage does not hoard anything for himself.

The more he helps others, the more he obtains for himself.

The superior Tao does good, and never does evil,

The sage's Tao acts, but never hurts others.

=========================================================

found in the index of 112 english translations.

posted by Alfred... Thank You!

When we discuss Taoist philosophy on the main discussion board its kind of part of the main debate and you can get a good range of comments from all sorts of angle. If we separate it off into a sub-forum will we lose something - will it seem exclusive somehow??? Why not just post thread topics on this?

Apech, I agree with your thinking on this. That said - if Twinner has in mind what he's done elsewhere and given how fast topics sink off the front list page - well, it might be a good idea to give the TTC it's own corner. Especially if debates over which translation is better start up here... Then again, if the philosophy folks mostly hang in the TTC corner, all you'll be left with out here is rest of ya to keep the e-sanghaites company! :lol:

hey. wasn't that helpful. LOL

Apech, I agree with your thinking on this. That said - if Twinner has in mind what he's done elsewhere and given how fast topics sink off the front list page - well, it might be a good idea to give the TTC it's own corner. Especially if debates over which translation is better start up here... Then again, if the philosophy folks mostly hang in the TTC corner, all you'll be left with out here is rest of ya to keep the e-sanghaites company! :lol:

hey. wasn't that helpful. LOL

We've had threads before where we've discussed sections/chapters - it was good I thought and its nice to focus just on Taoism without Buddhist views creeping in.

We've had threads before where we've discussed sections/chapters - it was good I thought and its nice to focus just on Taoism without Buddhist views creeping in.

Agree. Maybe a Buddhist subforum, then? :rolleyes: I read the enlightenment guaranteed thread but got only a headache instead. To each their own; I travel a simple path and to me nothing is simpler than tao and it's as natural as breathing.

Maybe the TTC chapter discussions could start out here - and then if it gets too cluttersome those posts can be moved into a new sub-forum? Having the TTC chapter in the post title (unlike Marblebrain's numbering system) would make them easier to spot, reply to, or move later if need be.

Agree. Maybe a Buddhist subforum, then? :rolleyes: I read the enlightenment guaranteed thread but got only a headache instead. To each their own; I travel a simple path and to me nothing is simpler than tao and it's as natural as breathing.

Maybe the TTC chapter discussions could start out here - and then if it gets too cluttersome those posts can be moved into a new sub-forum? Having the TTC chapter in the post title (unlike Marblebrain's numbering system) would make them easier to spot, reply to, or move later if need be.

I was just thinking .... on the old version of the board this appeared on the title page:

This is an informal community created to discuss Tao (Dao), particularly as is expressed in key philosophical texts such as the well known Tao Te Ching of Lao Tzu, health and cultivation practices such as Tai Chi and Qigong (Chi Kung), nonconceptual meditation approaches such as Zuowang (sitting and forgetting), and also the historical developments of Taoism as the bona fide Chinese religion of Taoist priests and shamans. Don't let this intro scare you though. Most of us are syncretic at heart. Discussion is encouraged to wander eclectically across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice, whether Buddhist, Yogic, Tantric, Judaic, Advaitic, Christian, Islamic, Shamanic, Occult, "New Age", Integral... As long as you are up for a good time, you're welcome to discuss your path. Though we can get rowdy at times, we all do our best to keep it civil. We are, almost as a rule, rather strange, but we have good hearts and even better senses of humor.

I think its a great definition of this place.

Anyway - maybe not a Buddhist sub-forum but I would love to go through TTC one section at a time together - probably spend 5- 20 years on Ch. 1. :):):)

(unlike Marblebrain's numbering system)

Hey Rene! That's "Marblehead" not "Marblebrain". There's a difference. Hehehe.

Good points you and Apech are discussing though.

Hey Rene! That's "Marblehead" not "Marblebrain". There's a difference. Hehehe.

Good points you and Apech are discussing though.

I like that - 'Marblebrain' ... has a nice ring to it.

:lol:

Tao Te Ching

translated by: Chou-Wing Chohan

-====================================================

Is not the superior Tao like drawing a bow?

The high part moves downward, the low part moves upward,

What is full is reduced, what is insufficient is filled.

The superior Tao reduces the full, fills what is insufficient.

Man's Tao, in contrast, takes from the insufficient and gives to the full.

Who can take from the full and give to the insufficient?

Only he who has the Tao can.

Therefore, the sage does not hoard anything for himself.

The more he helps others, the more he obtains for himself.

The superior Tao does good, and never does evil,

The sage's Tao acts, but never hurts others.

=========================================================

found in the index of 112 english translations.

posted by Alfred... Thank You!

Welcome Friend.

I'm planning on reading as many of the English translations as I have time for -Untill they all say the same thing to me...

I like that - 'Marblebrain' ... has a nice ring to it.

:lol:

WoW ! I shouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole !

Edited by Alfred E

WoW ! I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole !

(Are Marbles like noisy little balls?)

Hehehe. They become noisy only when agitated. But much like muddy water, if left alone they become as clear as a mirror reflecting all without distortion.

Hehehe. They become noisy only when agitated. But much like muddy water, if left alone they become as clear as a mirror reflecting all without distortion.

I agree and apologise if any offence. - Just experimenting a tad to see if we really do have freedom.

Also -

You've just given one my favorite definitions for meditation: "a mirror reflecting all without distortion."