zerostao

thoughts about alan watts

Almost anything by Alan Watts is an excellent read. Just be a little cautious because he sometimes mixes his Taoism and Buddhism up to where it could lend to a misunderstanding of one or the other philosophies.

I always thought he was a scholar not a practitioner, he could never actually apply what he wrote about to his personal life so I never took his work for anything more than an introduction to things

Greetings..

An excellent translator of the 'thought processes' that reveal Tao to the experiencer.. i have no personal understanding of his life or ability to apply his deep understanding.. i enjoy his works as reminders of the inherent simplicty upon which Taoism was founded..

Be well..

Alan Watts,

A lone man, unafraid to dig deep...

To ask questions from new perspectives...

To boldly go where no man had gone before! :lol:

Provocateur of the mind.

Put me down in the fan of Alan Watts column. I learned so much about "eastern" philosophy from his books. The first read was The Book: On the Taboo of Knowing Who You Are. After reading TTC and finding it extremely profound, I picked up Tao, the Watercourse Way. Watt's discussions on Tao and Wu Wei gave me a very good basic understanding of the core philosophies of Taoist thought. And then I discovered The Tao Bums :D

• Like 1

Another fan here, a light on the path, turned my head on eastern philosophy and so enjoyable to listen to, a great orator. :)

Edited by island

Question...

Who, living today, would be comparable to

Alan Watts, that would interesting to look into?

Any suggestions?

I do miss the interesting contribution he made

to society when he was on this side of the veil.

Peace!

Question...

Who, living today, would be comparable to

Alan Watts, that would interesting to look into?

Any suggestions?

I do miss the interesting contribution he made

to society when he was on this side of the veil.

Peace!

:( Sorry, the Sixties and Seventies are gone, and with them some great lights. He struggled with alcoholism, and died before his time.

Alan Watts has superb understanding of mysticism from a philosophical point of view. He can really break it down, and give a clear map of concepts.

However, to truly what he talks about, you must have your own practice. Alan Watts is really the best source for a beginner trying to understand this way of being.

Talking about a mystical life will not compare to actually living it.

His "Out of Your Mind" series is completely mindblowing, and elucidates everything from our politics, religion, and culture and how it all has come together to form the beliefs that we have today, and what makes mysticism radical and absent from most people's experience.

It really is the best source I could recommend anyone starting out. Its a lot of talk though.

However, if you desire something that has theory and strong practice, I recommend Shinzen Young's Science of Enlightenment audio series. You take Shinzen's practice and do it a lot, and you will go very, very far. His technique has many names, and many uses. It will give you a very strong foundation.

So yes, Alan Watts kicks ass, and I recommend Shinzen because he does too.

I love Alan Watts. His books are great. His ability to help people imagine unfamiliar concepts and open their minds is beautiful.

I prefer listening to him speak publicly - my favorite is the "Out Of Your Mind" series. He was also a bit of a drunk and exploiter of the young ladies. One of the things I love about these enlightened beings is their humanity - he seemed to enjoy himself. Hopefully he never hurt anyone too badly.

I love Alan Watts. His books are great. His ability to help people imagine unfamiliar concepts and open their minds is beautiful.

Indeed! Well said.

For anyone who wants to gain some understanding on the real meaning of Happiness, i highly recommend his book, aptly titled, "The Meaning of Happiness". :D:P

Alan Watts was an exquisite thinker and philosopher. He may not be around anymore, but the the legacy of his brilliant works and insights will live on for a long, long time.

I think its great that tributes are being paid to this man here.

Edited by CowTao

Alan Watts has superb understanding of mysticism from a philosophical point of view. He can really break it down, and give a clear map of concepts.

However, to truly what he talks about, you must have your own practice. Alan Watts is really the best source for a beginner trying to understand this way of being.

Talking about a mystical life will not compare to actually living it.

His "Out of Your Mind" series is completely mindblowing, and elucidates everything from our politics, religion, and culture and how it all has come together to form the beliefs that we have today, and what makes mysticism radical and absent from most people's experience.

It really is the best source I could recommend anyone starting out. Its a lot of talk though.

However, if you desire something that has theory and strong practice, I recommend Shinzen Young's Science of Enlightenment audio series. You take Shinzen's practice and do it a lot, and you will go very, very far. His technique has many names, and many uses. It will give you a very strong foundation.

So yes, Alan Watts kicks ass, and I recommend Shinzen because he does too.

thankyou for the Shinzen reccomendation, i will look into that. thanks to all of you who posted a reply on this. thanks also to all who viewed it.

i respect each of you and your willingness to share. the tao bums is a very cool place for me to come and find rest. isnt it nice that each of us has the opportunity here to speak freely and share ideas? to see and be shown things in a slightly diferent light than we may have otherwise viewed it? we may still be in the time of kali yuga but a light does shine.

I started to read "The Watercourse Way" when I first learned about the Tao Teh Ching around eighteen or nineteen years ago. I couldn't really finish it. I studied the Tao Teh Ching almost exclusively as my guide to Taoism for nearly eighteen years and only recently picked up Alan Watts.

As others have said, he's a genius, but I think in order to appreciate the depth of what he has to say, you need some experience with the topic. Otherwise you only understand what's on the surface, missing the current that runs underneath but can't be seen.

For those who say he was a scholar, I would say, that by saying he was a Taoist, he could never have been a Taoist.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

You don't need to ask others opinions of Alan Watts. There are dozens of audio files and video clips of Alan Watts on youtube for free. http://www.youtube.com/user/87SilentSpace#g/u

Here is one of my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/user/87SilentSpace#p/u/25/ZgBo6UeImBA

thanks OldGreen. this was my first thread nearly a year ago, when i was trying to get a feel for the forum.

i already knew my thoughts about alan watts then. still about the same as now.

i made this post today as a small and subtle protest to the rise of political chatter lately

here on TTB. i am sure no one wants to hear my politcal views ,but here they are"

i dont trust the extreme right or the extreme left or even the center. politics bores me"

i have never voted in my life. i am proud to be able to say that. i reckon there are many potical forums availble out there. so ,back to alan watts. one of my favorites

Thanks for bumping, Zerostao! That Shinzen Young recommendation is very interesting, I'm going to enjoy exploring his website.

I love Alan Watts and if it wasn't for reading his books and listening to his lectures (on tape) some 15 years ago, I wouldn't be where I am at this moment. His work is a great introduction to eastern thought in general.

The Watercourse Way and The Way of Zen are two books I still very much enjoy and find edifying.

And he had a delightful sense of humour too! :-)

yeah i do bump my own threads :P

but here is why i bumped this one today.

the library here in my little town of 2,000 folks in extreme rural , rugged eastern ky

at my request (today)received a copy of Tao The Watercourse Way, by Alan Watts.

little by little and with patience and perseverance and over time and trying to plant some seeds along my path,

it is my hope that somewhere , somehow, someone will experience a self discovery moment and become

acquainted with the Tao.

"i have no ambitions and folks return to the good and simple life"

Just for the record Eckhart Tolle is German though he did reside in England for many years. He is now resident in Canada and I do agree that he is well worth listening to.

I've listened and read just about everything I could get my hands on by Alan Watts and I have learned more from him about religion, philosophy, taoism, buddhism and mystical experiences than from anywhere else. What a great man.