Renegade

ReishI Mushroom, Ling Zhi

Ok,

I've been taking reishi for about 2 months with the objective of increasing shen and more specifically - better general well being, relaxation, mental functioning, releasing emotional baggage and all those great things everyone wants!

I'm really attracted to it. I think it slots really well into my meditation / yoga practice as a way of keeping the inner self strong and stable and increasing awareness.

I've has some strange effects from it though :-( After about ten days or so of use, I started to get this insatiable thirst. I was drinking about 7 litres of water a day to try and quench it! I heard there is a good chance that this was a detox symptom so I carried on and I was glad that it cleared up. However, it come back a few weeks later but again it died down. These episodes lasted about 3 days each. About ten days ago I started getting REALLY thirsty again. For the past ten days I have been HAMMERING the water. Its not normal how thirsty I have been getting.

I'm very confused because some sources say there are absolutely no side effects and if there is any side effects, they are detox symptoms (thirst being a common one because the body needs more water to dispel the toxins). Other sources clearly state that thirst ect can be an allergic reaction to the mushroom. I don't have any other food allergies I know of.

The fact that it has come and gone makes me think it's a detox symptom, however it's lasted a long time this third time and I don't know what to think.

I really don't want to stop taking it! But I just don't know what to think. Some websites say whatever reactions you may have, carry on taking it and they will subside. One even states that one way of not getting the full benefit is it stop taking it when these reactions happen as you essentially need to 'push through' the response.

Does anyone have any insights into this? Of course, I don't want to carry on taking it if I'm having an adverse / allergic reaction.

I would also be interested in hearing general experiences and opinions on reishi in this thread.

Thanks

Daniel

two questions

in what form are you consuming the Reishi?

Other than normal food are you consuming any other supplements or special foods?

Have you considered getting a practitioner of TCM to check your system and see what else it might need to help balance? Reishi is a great tonic but taking it exclusively may very well have unbalanced your system. Taking single herbs by themselves is not a balanced approach according to the cultures from which Reishi use comes. With consultation from a TCM/herbologist you could find a way to balance and continue to use the Reishi as well.

Good luck.

PS - I love Reishi myself but never do I take any supplement exclusively for a long period of time as you have described.

two questions

in what form are you consuming the Reishi?

Other than normal food are you consuming any other supplements or special foods?

Have you considered getting a practitioner of TCM to check your system and see what else it might need to help balance? Reishi is a great tonic but taking it exclusively may very well have unbalanced your system. Taking single herbs by themselves is not a balanced approach according to the cultures from which Reishi use comes. With consultation from a TCM/herbologist you could find a way to balance and continue to use the Reishi as well.

Good luck.

PS - I love Reishi myself but never do I take any supplement exclusively for a long period of time as you have described.

Powedered 10:1 duanwood extract. Sorry forgot to mention that. Ive actually been thinking of ordering the drops form dragon herbs to see if they agree with me any better.

No, I'm not taking any other supplements.

I see a good acupuncturist every couple of weeks so I'm going to bring this up when I see her in a few days. I heard however with reishi that it is a very balanced tonic and can be used exclusively for long periods of time, unlike many other herbs and this is in fact one of the reasons it is seen as such a superior tonic. Things like rhodiola I have cycled in the past and would not consider taking for longer periods.

What kind of effects have you had from reishi?

Thanks

Lingzhi itself may be a balanced tonic but it does not mean that your body is.

It sounds like you may be lacking in Kidney Yin from the sounds of things.

Remember the saying, "7 parts medicine, 3 parts poison".

Lingzhi itself may be a balanced tonic but it does not mean that your body is.

Hmmmmm yeah wasn't really looking at it like that.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Hmmmmm yeah wasn't really looking at it like that.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

There are thought to be six different types of Reishi mushrooms which are classified according to color. Do you know what color the one you are using is? The black Reishi has a salty flavor and is associated with healing the Kidneys, so if you are using the black variety it would make sense that your Kidneys are possibly detoxing and you are instinctively craving more water to help flush out the toxins.

Cool post

Jesse

There are thought to be six different types of Reishi mushrooms which are classified according to color. Do you know what color the one you are using is? The black Reishi has a salty flavor and is associated with healing the Kidneys, so if you are using the black variety it would make sense that your Kidneys are possibly detoxing and you are instinctively craving more water to help flush out the toxins.

Cool post

Jesse

It's red reishi Jesse - Which is primarily a heart, lung and liver tonic as far as I know. But I'm guessing at also effects the kidneys?

Edited by Renegade

a couple of weeks ago I began learning about tonic mushrooms and then some Reishi started growing in my backyard,very weird because I'm 99% sure they weren't there last year.

It's red reishi Jesse - Which is primarily a heart, lung and liver tonic as far as I know. But I'm guessing at also effects the kidneys?

yes, you r overheating yr heart w/red one and it dries up water in turn.u should stop taking it, but if u must, switch to black one, it might bring the water into balance for a while. supplements r never a good idea in the long run.

yes, you r overheating yr heart w/red one and it dries up water in turn.u should stop taking it, but if u must, switch to black one, it might bring the water into balance for a while. supplements r never a good idea in the long run.

I'm seeing my acupuncturist tomorrow. Do you think she would be able to diagnose if my heart is overheating?

What about taking something else to cool it down?!

Do you not think this could be a detox response?

Edited by Renegade

I'm seeing my acupuncturist tomorrow. Do you think she would be able to diagnose if my heart is overheating?

*she might but i would be surprised if she did, its a tough diagnosis to recognise

What about taking something else to cool it down?!

*the thing with heart is that its an organ that is easily stimulated but to bring it back to normal is next to impossible w/o significant lifestyle changes. i dont know what can u start taking to achive this.

Do you not think this could be a detox response?

*nah, the whole "detox" concept is bogus anyway.

Hi Tianshi,

I am just wondering what your basis or reasoning is for saying, one should never take supplements for the long run. Does this mean you do not beleive in any sort of multivitamin for continual usage? Also two months to me does not seem like that long of a period, would you only take any certain supplement for a week max? In my logic, it would just seem like taking a supplement once in a while here and there would not provide much benefit, and that one would need to take it for at least a month to really begin benefiting, on account healing is a process. But I might be totally wrong, maybe taking the same supplements too long bring your body out of balance. I would also think that an herb like Ling Zhi, being an herb for overall vitality, health, and longevity would only enhance overall balance within the body and bring one out of balance.

Heres a quote by the famous chinese herbalist Li Shizhen about the red Ling zhi mushroom, " It positively affects the life-energy, or Qi of the heart, repairing the chest area and benefiting those with a knotted and tight chest. Taken over a long period of time, agility of the body will not cease, and the years are lengthened to those of the Immortal Fairies"

This quote seems to contradict what you are saying and advices one to take Ling Zhi for a long period of time to enhance one's life.

Tianshi

It is IMO not possible to really make a judgement in this case without more data. It is possible but not likely that the Reishi is causing the symptoms of excess thirst described. So many people are yin deficient and this is a classic symptom of such. But even this view is VERY limited and maybe even wrong because I don't know the individiual situation or characteristics of the person in question.

I may have some agreeement with you that supplements are not good in the long run if you are referring to taking one supplement to the exclusion of all others over a long period of time. However, Reishi is known as a superior herb and not highly likely to cause an imbalance as described. Definitely safer and better choice than ginseng for example.

BTW - good luck finding BLACK Reishi. might be available in some chinese pharmacies though.

Craig

Hi Tianshi,

I am just wondering what your basis or reasoning is for saying, one should never take supplements for the long run. Does this mean you do not beleive in any sort of multivitamin for continual usage? Also two months to me does not seem like that long of a period, would you only take any certain supplement for a week max? In my logic, it would just seem like taking a supplement once in a while here and there would not provide much benefit, and that one would need to take it for at least a month to really begin benefiting, on account healing is a process.

Hi;)

its a good question. yes, the supplements especially the vitamins are a waste of your money. The marketers know that people want an easy fix and have oral fixations. Also notice how they always insist on long periods and several packages otherwise there will be no benefit. Its just another ruse to line their pockets.

But I might be totally wrong, maybe taking the same supplements too long bring your body out of balance.

* yes that is the case. everything has to be in proper mesure

Heres a quote by the famous chinese herbalist Li Shizhen about the red Ling zhi mushroom, " It positively affects the life-energy, or Qi of the heart, repairing the chest area and benefiting those with a knotted and tight chest. Taken over a long period of time, agility of the body will not cease, and the years are lengthened to those of the Immortal Fairies". This quote seems to contradict what you are saying and advices one to take Ling Zhi for a long period of time to enhance one's life.

*unfortunately its not that simple, you see any valuable knowledge is a secret, the books intend only to show you the goal but not how to get there. also notice, how nobody on this thread did not even mention the dosage:)). just not a part of the equation it seems:))

Hi Tianshi,

I myself am in no way too knowledgeable in the field of "True Health", being a beginner to qigong and taoist philosophy, and my understanding may actually be western schemes to make money by telling people to take supplements and this quote from a chinese herbalist, as well similar quotes from other famous ancient chinese sources, may be giving the washed down "easy fix" to the public and keeping the "true health" secrets to themselves. I am all for learning and changing my views, I am by no way a rigid thinker. I am just curious what yours sources are or how you have come up with your conclusion about supplements and herbs that you have made?

Thankyou,

Surfingbudda

Hi Tianshi,

I myself am in no way too knowledgeable in the field of "True Health", being a beginner to qigong and taoist philosophy, and my understanding may actually be western schemes to make money by telling people to take supplements and this quote from a chinese herbalist, as well similar quotes from other famous ancient chinese sources, may be giving the washed down "easy fix" to the public and keeping the "true health" secrets to themselves. I am all for learning and changing my views, I am by no way a rigid thinker. I am just curious what yours sources are or how you have come up with your conclusion about supplements and herbs that you have made?

Thankyou,

Surfingbudda

dont mention it, u r asking good questions and its my pleasure to reply.

on supplements...its just common sense, you have heard the saying "if something sounds to good to be true, its usually is". now, does "take this $19.95 calcium , it will make yr bones stronger" sound a tad too good?

on sources...i have been translating the original chinese texts for several years now. The herbalist's quote promises immortality, wouldnt it be neat to get it in a bottle?:) But if you consult a diff text, by a daoist saint Ge Hong, titled "Bao-pu zi" it says "The herbs rot in ground, burn in fire, they cant even preserve themselves, how can they possibly preserve human life?"

Tianshi

It is IMO not possible to really make a judgement in this case without more data.

hi Craig. it depends on who is the judge. i have made a study of water and fire my specialty and can recognise the symptoms right away. If you interested i can explain in more detail.

It is possible but not likely that the Reishi is causing the symptoms of excess thirst described. So many people are yin deficient and this is a classic symptom of such.

**you see, the only meaningful way to talk about the chinese med, is in terms of energetics. And what u do here is to confuse physical Yin, water in the body with energetic Water. The thirst is caused by overabundance of energetic Yin, not by deficiency of it

However, Reishi is known as a superior herb and not highly likely to cause an imbalance as described.

** It is specifically said to target a specific organ- the heart, mainly. How can that not to cause an imbalance in a medium term? Please note, that the red is color of fire, same as heart's.

I like Reishi, used the red one alot but had to stop because it was interacting with my glycemic levels. Does it has effect on the spleen maybe ? My sugarlevels reacted heavily every time after drinking red reishi tea (raw natural dried reishi). My mother had the same problem and also had to stop using it.

Now i know that a sign of diabetes (problems with insulin and sugarlevels) is drinking very much and going to the bathroom very much ..

I dont know how it all fits togheter but yust wanted to let you know my experience.

Yes--one very common sign of high blood sugar is excessive thirst. You should have your blood sugar checked! Better safe than sorry.

Please get checked out friend! Also, if you feel like an herb/supplement might be causing you problems, stop taking it. Don't just go by what most people have to say about it-we are all different, and some herbs just don't work well for some people.

Peace

Thanks for all the input.

In terms of diabetes, its interesting you mention that because I did actually had this insatiable thirst a couple of years ago and I thought it might be diabetes then so I got checked out, blood tests ect and everything came back normal.

I guess there is a good possibility that this is nothing to do with the reishi and I am putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but I really feel like it is.

Anyhow, I'm going to stop taking it for at least a week and assess my water intake / response.

Do you think a week is enough time to get it out of my system in order to see how I feel?

From all I've read, its EXTREMELY rare for reishi to cause these kinds of reactions. It seems a large part of why it it so revered is its non toxic, balanced nature - which makes it even more ANNOYING that I'm experiencing this!

If a yin deficiency is causing this, does anyone have any suggestions for getting this balanced? Is acupuncture effective for this?

hi Craig. it depends on who is the judge. i have made a study of water and fire my specialty and can recognise the symptoms right away. If you interested i can explain in more detail.

It is possible but not likely that the Reishi is causing the symptoms of excess thirst described. So many people are yin deficient and this is a classic symptom of such.

**you see, the only meaningful way to talk about the chinese med, is in terms of energetics. And what u do here is to confuse physical Yin, water in the body with energetic Water. The thirst is caused by overabundance of energetic Yin, not by deficiency of it

However, Reishi is known as a superior herb and not highly likely to cause an imbalance as described.

** It is specifically said to target a specific organ- the heart, mainly. How can that not to cause an imbalance in a medium term? Please note, that the red is color of fire, same as heart's.

Tianshi

I have made no confusion.

My crude diagnosis took into consideration the symptom of excess thirst. This can be a symptom of Excess Yang in general. it can also, and this is more likely in the modern people, be a symptom of False Yang. Yin being already depleted relative to Yang causing symptoms of false fire.

Your diagnosis of overabundant Yin or excess Yin is also a very general diagnosis. Unless you are good at distance diagnosis (could be possible but I find it unlikely) I see no way you could have enough data to really know ANYTHING.

Of course Reishi is red. This in no way means it will automatically overstimulate the heart. A lot of coffee (bitter) and ginseng (hot) would be a much easier way to do so. Reishi is considered a superior tonic because it does not tend to have extreme effects as suspected here. that doesn't mean that it may not have in this particular case. WE just don't have enough data. That is as far as I go here especially since I am not a practitioner.

Renegade. Yes your doctor should be able to tell if you are overheated in general and if your heart is overstimulated. It should not be so difficult to diagnose with pulse, tongue, etc methods. If your doc cannot properly tell you what is going on with your system and describe a course of action then he/she is not competent.

Tianshi - your rejection of ALL herbs and supplements goes entirely against a HUGE body of knowledge in Traditional Medicine, oriental and others.

Renegade I recommend you be as direct with your doc as you have been here in describing your symptoms, supplements, desires and concerns.

Craig

If a yin deficiency is causing this, does anyone have any suggestions for getting this balanced? Is acupuncture effective for this?

Traditional Oriental Medicine can definitely help with yin deficiency. IMO if you have an acupuncture doc who only offers acupuncture then you need to find one who has a more comprehensive approach including but not limited to herbology. They should be qualified to assess your system and see what foods and herbal medicines could assist you.

Also many, most qigong systems strengthen and help create balance. This includes strengthening kidney qi which is the essential yin-water source in the body.

good luck and don't listen to any diagnostic opinions on line. Get a real doc to take your pulses, etc.

Craig

interesting discussion as i am about to start using the reishi mushroom myself, starting with about 2 g a day.

i have had nice results with shiitake and excellent results with cordyceps. by trade i deal with herbs.

i agree generally that the same herbs should not be continued for extended times. even if i sell wild gingseng, yellow root, black and blue cohosh.( and others) i am not such a big fan of ginseng myself( but i am happy it brings the prices that it does)

with the cordyceps last year i used for 2 months was happy with results. this summer i started again and continue to do so until my supply runs out as i feel stronger the more i take them. lu rong i feel is best used long term as the results build upon themself. herbs like licorice , cinnamon, white peony, tumeric i feel can be used long term. some breaks in use are good .

an interesting thing about herbs in general is if you combine them with other herbs better results are obtained.

this is especially true with combination of yellow root (goldenseal) however yellow root is a particular herb i would only use short term.

fire and water healing can be a very useful tool , however it is really not a complete healing system in of itself. diagnosis at a distance is in my opinion risky bizness. i know everyone here is trying to use the knowledge they have available to them to be of help. i am no expert of anything. i do have alot of experience with herbs and hope to continue to learn about mushrooms. i suspect the same may be true of mushroom as herbs as when you combine them together = better results. but this is just a hunch. and for sure each individual has a unique chemistry and makeup , the same drug/herb/mushroom no matter how great and wonderful simply does not work for everyone.

Hi

What form/source are you taking the Reishi in?

What form did you take the cordyceps in?

Just curious.

Craig