Non

TCM?

Well I was thinking of studying TCM here in FL, USA. Though I thought there would be more qigong training but it seems the school around here doesn't really focus as much on qigong, than the other practices. It seems very much focused on the physical practices.

I dont know, I just thought it'd be different but it seems maybe they have made it more modern where it focuses mainly on the physical to make it fit in with the West. I wonder how it compares to classical chinese medicine.

Does the school have a website?

Maybe some of us here can take a look. Though I don't know much about the subject myself, I'm sure plenty of people around here do :)

I would still do it. Either way, knowing the theory and practice of TCM would be extremely valuable.

If you are still unsatifsfied with your qigong training as you learn TCM or finsh leraning TCM, then you could continue to seek out instruction, and you will probably learn much faster, have a much better understanding of it, and be better able to tell the good systems from the bad systems.

Well I was thinking of studying TCM here in FL, USA. Though I thought there would be more qigong training but it seems the school around here doesn't really focus as much on qigong, than the other practices. It seems very much focused on the physical practices.

I dont know, I just thought it'd be different but it seems maybe they have made it more modern where it focuses mainly on the physical to make it fit in with the West. I wonder how it compares to classical chinese medicine.

It does boggle the mind, doesn't it? Here we have a Masters level program that is supposed to teach about utilizing Qi but they refuse to actually teach about utilizing qi. Strange.

Check out their herbal medicine department; if it is a good one then the education should be worth it. But either before, during, or after, learn qi manipulation through a medical qigong program. My understanding is the program in Chicago has an outstanding herbal medicine dept. so that would be an alternative. I personally am not a fan of needle acupuncture.

I'm sure there is a daoist system of medicine which is different. Classical Chinese medicine I heard if only different in that it teaches about extra channels.

Oh well, mabe I can just learn on my own the ways of medical qigong. I can read from Jerry Alan Johnson.

The school is this one: www.atom.edu.

I'm sure there is a daoist system of medicine which is different. Classical Chinese medicine I heard if only different in that it teaches about extra channels.

Oh well, mabe I can just learn on my own the ways of medical qigong. I can read from Jerry Alan Johnson.

Also, there is the five element schools which might be different, but more modern.

I think what I'll do is just go through this, get a license, and branch off from there. There's no naturopathic physician licensing here in FL and so the only way to legally practice other alternative practices would be to get the acupuncture physician license first.

Edited by Non

And one could learn to stick needles in people by reading a book as well; see how far either one gets you compared to actually study of the subject.

I am planning on studying TCM also :D . Heres a great article explaining the differences between certain types of acupuncture schools. It explains that some schools of TCM are more lineage based and really teach the more spiritual aspects of it. Two schools that do this that I am considering is Yo San University, founded by the taoist master Hua Ching Ni and Five Branches University which also gives equal emphasis to all aspects of healing, including qigong. If your interested in qigong, Yo San has an intensive chi cultivation program that looks really good. Five branches also has high level qigong training as well, but I think Yo San might emphasize that aspect a tiny bit more. However both school seem great. I am sure there are other lineage based schools but these are the two that I know of.

Heres the article My link

Five Branches My link

Yo San My link

And one could learn to stick needles in people by reading a book as well; see how far either one gets you compared to actually study of the subject.

You'd be surprised, in a lot of places, "actual study of the subject" pretty much entails "just reading the book".

Non, thanks for giving the link.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about this field, so I can't comment on it. Have you checked the admissions requirements? Seems like they got some pretty high standards. Two years prior to transfer + three years of their program, that's 5 years of education you're looking at, at least.

What is the tuition for this place?

This school seems very similar in program to the one in Orlando; 3 years accelerated to get a combined Bachelor's and Master's Degree. ATOM seems to have a better connection to China for training opportunities but neither one does much with Qigong. I have been asked to consider teaching a combined Qigong and Taijing at the Orlando School but I think it will be just 28 hours in total. There is a place in Hallendale, FL which teaches the Jerry Johnson program. Send me an email if you want more details.

You'd be surprised, in a lot of places, "actual study of the subject" pretty much entails "just reading the book".

Nada

Actual study means just what it says.

I am always amazed at people who think Medical Qigong can be learned from a book. Do the same folks think brain surgery can be learned just from reading a book? How about world-class tennis playing? Read a book and be able to do it? How about any number of subjects that require much more than reading?

Acupuncture training and medical qigong training require the same intense study. So, read a book and think you now know how to properly stick a needle in - whoops. So read a book and think you now properly know how to repair a broken bone with medical qigong - whoops.

No; it doesn't work that way.

If anyone doesn't subscribe to this then the next time they are in need of a doctor should they just go to some lay person who has read a book? Need surgery? Why, Jim down the street read a book or two on it. Anyone who thinks this should just show a book on acupuncture to a friend and ask them to put needles in? And then they should just grin and like it because that is all that is needed? Sheesh

One can learn about something by reading a book. Not the same thing as studying it.

If anyone was serious about training TCM I would not waste my time or money here in the states. You can learn for 1/5 or less the cost of what it would cost in the US and the program would be better (IMO). I say this because they do not offer a 3 year program in China. The shortest is 4 year but more common is 5 year. My friend is getting to the end of his 5 year program in Shanghai and is loving it. You have the immersion of Chinese culture, a professional Chinese TCM program with a full complement of Western medical theory and they have classes in English (or with translation). In the US you're going to pay through the nose (50k?) and maybe the teacher will help you, maybe not.

If I were younger and didn't have a family now I'd be there right now.

THERE'S NO COMPARISON... NONE.

Just my opinion of course after living in China.

EDIT: Also, don't waste time at a TCM school looking to learn Qigong. The only qigong they will have is a token doctor who has some taiji or simple qigong experience to give the students. If you want to learn TCM, learn TCM. If not go to Ya Mu or others who have that knowledge and skill. You will not learn Medical Qigong of any significance at a TCM college

EDIT AGAIN:

look at my Shanghai Links page:

http://members.bigvalley.net/wuji/china/shanghailinks.html

Which has Shanghai TCM College on it:

http://www.shutcm.com/gjyenglish/index.shtml

http://www.shutcm.com//

Edited by Baguakid

Hi Baguakid,

What schools in China do you recommend? So all the classes are in english? Also what is Ya Mu?

BTW the two colleges I mentioned, Yo San and Five Branches offer a study abroad program where students have the option to spend there last year studying at a chinese school in china. Also both of these school have a fair amount of teachers who taught in China and came to teach in the states. I don't know if receiving a degree from one of these universities could add up to what you learn in China, but both of these colleges seem adequately better than the majority of acupunture schools in the states.

P.S. Is your friend in china, of chinese decent or already spoke chinese before entering the school in Shanghai?

Hi Baguakid,

What schools in China do you recommend? So all the classes are in english? Also what is Ya Mu?

BTW the two colleges I mentioned, Yo San and Five Branches offer a study abroad program where students have the option to spend there last year studying at a chinese school in china. Also both of these school have a fair amount of teachers who taught in China and came to teach in the states. I don't know if receiving a degree from one of these universities could add up to what you learn in China, but both of these colleges seem adequately better than the majority of acupunture schools in the states.

P.S. Is your friend in china, of chinese decent or already spoke chinese before entering the school in Shanghai?

surfingbudda:

1. Do your homework on the schools in China. I know of Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou as the three big areas to go. I personally have visited the campus in Shanghai which is very new and is in PuDong (East of the HuangPu river).. The old campus was in PuXi and I have another friend who attended that school in the "old days". I'm personally partial to either Shanghai or Beijing. Just because I've been to those cities.

2. Ya Mu is the screen name of one of our Medical Qigong teacher here on thetaobums. Look at the post above mine above. Read his profile. It mentions he had a 12 year study program with his teacher. Don't take this lightly. It's not like going to 7-11 for a snack. It's a long term commitment.

Read more of what you have here on TheTaoBums. Some very good resources here on this board. Ya Mu, Terry Dunn (Flying Phoenix), Garry Hatfield (Burning palm, student of Doo Wei).

There are some great resources here in the states if you want Medical Qigong. THAT I would think you'd get jerked around in China. Very, Very difficult to find a good teacher like Ya Mu's, Terry Dunn's, and Garry's.

Regarding Yo San and Five Branches... check the prices of those schools. You are going to move there, incur the cost of living, plus school. If you have someone paying that for you, great. Otherwise, look at China and the huge price difference. If you're going to go for something go all the way. IMO.

3. My friend in China is an American with a little Chinese language knowledge. Again, he's taking classes in English or with an English translation.

Best,

hm well... it is a four year program that can be done in a minimum of 3 years.. or at last that's what they say. It gives you a bachelors of health sciences and masters in TCM. PLus is has connections to the Shanghai University in China, being that it's the 'sister'. So I can study abroad. Maybe I will go that route. I jsut dont want to stop my kung fu training here.. a lot of traditional kung fu styles have been banned in China after the communist revolution.

I spoke to the president of the school. Real nice woman, she was talking about how her great ancestors founded the Shanghai University and how her whole family was into Chinese medicine.

And yea TCM is TCM. Maybe it wont teach qigong but at least I'll be able to practice under the acupuncture physician license. Besides... China has the whole government thing going on.. the government isn't the best. But maybe that shouldn't be much a worry. I actually think that in China you'd find less of the traditional stuff that has survived because much of it has gone elsewhere. Though perhaps it is at least more traditional than in other places, if a bit modernized.

Edited by Non

hm well... it is a four year program that can be done in a minimum of 3 years.. or at last that's what they say. It gives you a bachelors of health sciences and masters in TCM. PLus is has connections to the Shanghai University in China, being that it's the 'sister'. So I can study abroad. Maybe I will go that route. I jsut dont want to stop my kung fu training here.. a lot of traditional kung fu styles have been banned in China after the communist revolution.

I spoke to the president of the school. Real nice woman, she was talking about how her great ancestors founded the Shanghai University and how her whole family was into Chinese medicine.

And yea TCM is TCM. Maybe it wont teach qigong but at least I'll be able to practice under the acupuncture physician license. Besides... China has the whole government thing going on.. the government isn't the best. But maybe that shouldn't be much a worry. I actually think that in China you'd find less of the traditional stuff that has survived because much of it has gone elsewhere. Though perhaps it is at least more traditional than in other places, if a bit modernized.

Well, you do what makes you feel comfortable. I would ask though, what Kung Fu training are you learning?

Don't believe the BS about China not having good Kungfu or the government is keep it squashed. There is some EXCELLENT Martial Arts in Shanghai and Beijing and Xian. Just gotta know where to look.

Go over to www.rumsoakedfist.org and ask a few training there now.

Do your research. I lived in China for nearly 2 years and I loved it.

Found my bagua teacher there (Shanghai).

Again, would go back in a heartbeat.

Well, you do what makes you feel comfortable. I would ask though, what Kung Fu training are you learning?

Don't believe the BS about China not having good Kungfu or the government is keep it squashed. There is some EXCELLENT Martial Arts in Shanghai and Beijing and Xian. Just gotta know where to look.

Go over to www.rumsoakedfist.org and ask a few training there now.

Do your research. I lived in China for nearly 2 years and I loved it.

Found my bagua teacher there (Shanghai).

Again, would go back in a heartbeat.

I'm learning the mixture of the external styles offered from the curriculum at this school kungfuconnection.com. Also am learning the hua shan pai do ga qigong. Some of the forms taught are also not listed and just recently we picked up some more stuff from a hung gar master we have trained.

They've also got all the major internal styles, tai chi, yang 24 posture and international 48, chen 108 posture, various ba gua styles. Xing yi chuan can also be taught to advanced students as well as water boxing.

Nada

Actual study means just what it says.

I am always amazed at people who think Medical Qigong can be learned from a book. Do the same folks think brain surgery can be learned just from reading a book? How about world-class tennis playing? Read a book and be able to do it? How about any number of subjects that require much more than reading?

Acupuncture training and medical qigong training require the same intense study. So, read a book and think you now know how to properly stick a needle in - whoops. So read a book and think you now properly know how to repair a broken bone with medical qigong - whoops.

No; it doesn't work that way.

If anyone doesn't subscribe to this then the next time they are in need of a doctor should they just go to some lay person who has read a book? Need surgery? Why, Jim down the street read a book or two on it. Anyone who thinks this should just show a book on acupuncture to a friend and ask them to put needles in? And then they should just grin and like it because that is all that is needed? Sheesh

One can learn about something by reading a book. Not the same thing as studying it.

Oh, I completely agree with you!

But not everyone else holds that same viewpoint, and it's surprising how many INSTITUTIONS do not hold that same view.

Which is why my point in saying be careful about schools saying they'll teach you stuff. A lot of times you just give up a shit ton of money and they tell you what books to read, then send you on your merry way, which you could have done for free anyway! So either you're a brilliant person who succeeds in self study, or you wind up screwing yourself and/or other people up.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Oh, I completely agree with you!

But not everyone else holds that same viewpoint, and it's surprising how many INSTITUTIONS do not hold that same view.

Which is why my point in saying be careful about schools saying they'll teach you stuff. A lot of times you just give up a shit ton of money and they tell you what books to read, then send you on your merry way, which you could have done for free anyway! So either you're a brilliant person who succeeds in self study, or you wind up screwing yourself and/or other people up.

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. Our schools have been turned into churn em out institutions with tests given that reflect little of what a person has learned. Of course there are many examples but one I am intensely aware of is in the medical field. Chiropractic schools attract many who just want to make the money and that hold no natural talent in manipulation. They becomes graduates of the school, but can't manipulate worth a damn and end up screwing people up, with oh so many people needing to go to them twice a week because of the very manipulation that they did. Of course this shouldn't reflect on the talented chiropractors who help people. But it is the institution itself who is to blame.

Edited by Ya Mu

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. Our schools have been turned into churn em out institutions with tests given that reflect little of what a person has learned. Of course there are many examples but one I am intensely aware of is in the medical field. Chiropractic schools attract many who just want to make the money and that hold no natural talent in manipulation. They becomes graduates of the school, but can't manipulate worth a damn and end up screwing people up, with oh so many people needing to go to them twice a week because of the very manipulation that they did. Of course this shouldn't reflect on the talented chiropractors who help people. But it is the institution itself who is to blame.

ok. well the school I'm considering requires minimum clinic hours every week and towards the end more.

So what do you have against acupuncture? I know, it's not necessary, one can just use acupressure and stuff.

I'm actually planning on studying TCM in Austin TX soon, its called the Texas College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. I did a campus tour, it was nice.

I think what I'll do is just go through this, get a license, and branch off from there. There's no naturopathic physician licensing here in FL and so the only way to legally practice other alternative practices would be to get the acupuncture physician license first.

You don't say specifically what alternate practices but since you mention Medical Qigong I assume that?

That in itself can take a few years to get through. So I think one way may be to get a LMT license and use it as part of your scope of services. That takes about 800 hours (?) and then the national test.

ok. well the school I'm considering requires minimum clinic hours every week and towards the end more.

So what do you have against acupuncture? I know, it's not necessary, one can just use acupressure and stuff.

I think acupuncture is viable for a lot of people. My personal experience is that it just doesn't work for me. I feel a little relaxation from a session, but that is about it. And yes, I have had acupuncture from many famous doctors in the US, the ones who have written books on it, as well as from renowned doctors in China.

My experience in clinic with medical qigong is that it works a lot faster, stronger, and with better efficacy. The downside is that an acupuncturist can treat many people in a day whereas a medical qigong practitioner really needs to limit themselves. So an acupuncturist can see more people in a day's time; they can have two or three people getting treatment at the same time. I used to work 12 hr days doing medical qigong but over the last few years I have cut back due to other interests - one of which is teaching others how to do this.

And also because it could get plain too much :)

Just got your book. Reading it from back cover to front. Very nice stuff. So far I got to the middle. Thank you for putting it out there. :):wub:

You don't say specifically what alternate practices but since you mention Medical Qigong I assume that?

That in itself can take a few years to get through. So I think one way may be to get a LMT license and use it as part of your scope of services. That takes about 800 hours (?) and then the national test.

Yea there's another school down here that is also much closer which teaches massage therapy and acupuncture.